PDA

View Full Version : Advice

ElaineTV
17-01-2012, 13:28
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and have read of some of the posts which have been very useful, however there are few questions I have which I hope some of you will be able to answer or point me in the right direction.

1. Where is the most popular yet affordable location for ex pats and are there any public/Spanish schools nearby?

2. Our 2 boys are footy mad and are enrolled in an academy here in the Uk, are there any footy academies that they can join on the island.. they are both quite good and we don't want them to lose their talent. (They will be 9 and 6 yrs old on arrival)

3. Also, our daughter will be 3yrs old when we arrive, will she be in normal school or will we have to put her in a nursery?

All being well we will be moving Mid July hopefully giving the kids enough time to get their bearings before starting school in Sept.

I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.
Kind Regards
Elaine.

bonitatime
17-01-2012, 14:16
The first question is a how long is a piece of string question depending on what you are looking for. We like Adeje as there is a lot of money invested in infrastructura especially sports and activities. but everyone who comes along wil have a different opinion. We live in Adeje and did the whole time our chilren were growning up.
Every town and village have a football school which they can join. Whether they then get to play depends on the quality of the boys and how many teams they have.
School here starts at 3 so she would go into school that said they spend more time colouring etc but the children who have attended school rather than a play group/stayed at home are regarded in Spain as coping easier with class one at 6 as they have learned their letter etc.
Are you planning to try to get then Spanish lessons or classes over the summer. It might well be an advantage especially with the eldest child.

ElaineTV
17-01-2012, 14:24
Thank you so very much for your helpful reply bonitatime!

My children are used to listening to Spanish as my dad is Spanish and speaks Spanish more often than not, they are just not interacting as I'd liked.. but once we know for sure the move is happening which will be around April, I will be teaching them myself as best I can, so I'm sure they'll get the basics quickly enough but my eldest may need some tutoring as you mentioned in order for him to be able to read & write.

My daughter has only attended nursery 2 days a week so I'm pretty sure she will adapt well.

As for the footy, that is great news! My dad mentioned that every school has a team but I wasn't sure if it still happened as my dad is now 67 bless him!! lol!! Great to see some things haven't changed! ;)

I must admit, we love Adeje too.. is it expensive to rent accommodation there?

bonitatime
17-01-2012, 15:44
Prices vary we have a 2 bed rented out for 400 plus bills. There are a few buildings with 3 beds which might help.
There is an estate agent / rental agency which I will try to find a number.

ElaineTV
17-01-2012, 17:02
That would be great, thanks! x

MrsTT
17-01-2012, 19:28
This site may help you with the Spanish - http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/spanish_for_children

bonitatime
17-01-2012, 20:53
Promociones Tenesur
Plaza César Manrique
10, 38670 Adeje (Tenerife)
www.tenesur.net

margo
06-02-2012, 10:02
I was having a read thorugh the thread. Is it possible to enrole a child for a state school while still in the UK and also is there a cut off date as to when you can enrole them. I am just trying to figure out if it would be best for me to go to tenerife and enrole my son or do it from the uk?

margo :spin: