PDA

View Full Version : Hello

ElaineTV
17-01-2012, 14:37
Hello everyone.

I'm Elaine as known in the UK or Elena in Spain - the joys of dual nationality!! lol!

I am married to Chris, he is currently a local government officer in the highways dept - soon to be made redundant, hence the decision to move to Tenerife. (it was going to be Australia but I don't want to live so far away from family in the UK & Spain)

We have 3 young children - Zak (8) Jake (5) & Lucia (2)

I am a self employed hairdresser & beauty therapist so I will hopefully find some part time work once we arrive. Chris is a qualified engineer & plumber with vast experience and he will be looking for plumbing work or handy man work until he sets up his own business.. so fingers crossed our plan is a good one!! lol!!

We're not sure what area we are looking at, we both love the South but hear it is more expensive to live in than the North.. so we're just at the stage of browsing some properties, weighing up the costs and trying to figure out where the local Spanish schools are... which is proving quite difficult from this end! rolleyes2:

We are sorting our house out in the UK ready for renting out.. a few modernisations required then we can get it listed, but ideally we will wait till the kids have finished the school year in July before actually moving, this will then give them time to climatise and brush up on their Spanish during the summer hols.

So please be patient with me if I ask some daft or long winded questions as I have been given the job of 'sorting' things out in Tenerife, while hubby sorts things out from the UK.

I look forward to chatting with you guys over the coming months.
Kind Regards
Elaine.

Vortex Wake
17-01-2012, 14:51
Elaine, have a look at the old forum pages too for info http://old.tenerifeforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Rent a property first, then decide on area and price. Remember, with the downturn in tourists/business, property prices are often a lot lower than the displayed prices. Speculators, and people who are in no rush to sell will hold out for the near asking price - but do your homework and speak to the right people and you could achieve very large price reductions.

ElaineTV
17-01-2012, 17:01
Thanks for the excellent advice Vortex Wake!

TIGER LILY
17-01-2012, 22:20
Welcome to the Forum should find lots of info on here. Have fun. :welcome:

TenerifePool
17-01-2012, 22:31
Some food for thought regarding property prices in the South of Tenerife. I have two friends who live in identical apartments in the same block in a village in the South.

Friend 1 bought in 2007 for 120 000€
Friend 2 bought last July for 35 900€

Despite agents and owners talking prices up, this is the reality.

ElaineTV
18-01-2012, 10:29
Thank you for your warm welcomes and many thanks TenerifePool that certainly is food for thought!! ;)

bonitatime
18-01-2012, 18:00
But was the latter a repossession?

ElaineTV
18-01-2012, 20:52
But was the latter a repossession?

It does sounds like it - sadly there may well be more houses up for grabs if the new legislation comes in, where all owners have to be nationals.. does anyone have any up to date news on that score?

bonitatime
18-01-2012, 21:38
I think that was an Spanish April fools tale

ElaineTV
19-01-2012, 10:46
I read the article last week regarding the Euro, if the canary islands leave the Euro and go back to the peseta - read excerpt:-

'The withdrawal from Europe means that other Europeans will no longer have right of residence or be able to own homes on Tenerife. This doesn’t apply to Spanish residents as sources in the government have said that ‘we need to keep Spain sweet so that we can continue to benefit from European funding accessed via mainland Spain’. Some of the main changes to affect European residents are as follows.

*As non-Spanish, residents won’t be legally able to own their homes so mortgage payments will become classed as rent payments.
*Those who own their home outright will receive a basic monthly allowance from the government until the value of the house (decided by government inspectors) is repaid. It’s thought this could take up to 40 years.
*Residents without proof of work status can only stay on Tenerife for periods of up to 3 months. This applies to pensioners who will also find that they are no longer entitled to EU subsidies on prescription charges and medical costs.
*Current non-Spanish European residents will lose all rights to discounted travel and free health care.

Tenerife Magazine: Written by Jack Montgomery on 28 December 2011

Vortex Wake
19-01-2012, 11:44
Elaine, 28th December is the Spanish equivalent ( el Día de los Santos Inocentes ) of April the 1st.

The internet is full of nonsense, and these 'jokes' end up being put forward as fact by mischief makers and 'friends' of 'friends' etc., and then debated by others as if fact ...............................

Enough said really.

TenerifePool
22-01-2012, 00:25
The withdrawl from the €uro doesn't mean that a withdrawl from Europe follows as a matter of course. Three EU members chose not to adopt the €uro and operate successfully as full EU members whilst retaining control of their own currencies.

Andy0210
22-01-2012, 01:03
I think that was an Spanish April fools tale

Actually it was a true story i know all the parties involved. ;)

Misunderstood the reply sorry, i thought you was saying that Tenerife Pools post about such differing prices was an April Fools tale, ignore me i am suffering after an afternoon at the dentist. :)

Muppet
22-01-2012, 10:51
I read the article last week regarding the Euro, if the canary islands leave the Euro and go back to the peseta - read excerpt:-

'The withdrawal from Europe means that other Europeans will no longer have right of residence or be able to own homes on Tenerife. This doesn’t apply to Spanish residents as sources in the government have said that ‘we need to keep Spain sweet so that we can continue to benefit from European funding accessed via mainland Spain’. Some of the main changes to affect European residents are as follows.

*As non-Spanish, residents won’t be legally able to own their homes so mortgage payments will become classed as rent payments.
*Those who own their home outright will receive a basic monthly allowance from the government until the value of the house (decided by government inspectors) is repaid. It’s thought this could take up to 40 years.
*Residents without proof of work status can only stay on Tenerife for periods of up to 3 months. This applies to pensioners who will also find that they are no longer entitled to EU subsidies on prescription charges and medical costs.
*Current non-Spanish European residents will lose all rights to discounted travel and free health care.

Tenerife Magazine: Written by Jack Montgomery on 28 December 2011

Sorry Elaine - being Spanish one would have thought you would have known about the Spanish equivilent of April Fools Day.

If the story had any substance whatsoever one might have thought it would have received more broad coverage in the news generally. The canary Islands are not leaving the EU or re-introducing the Peseta, although the Nationalist political parties here would doubtless love that to happen.

The Canaries will likely leave the Euro in due course, but only when Spain (to whom the islands belong) is either thrown out, goes bankrupt or when the Euro itself collapses - all of which are quite possible, but not before Greece, Italy Portugal and possibly Ireland too.

Having also been involved with your other thread I can only urge you to think and more importantly research your move very carefully - jobs of the kind your husband believes he has been offered, living costs and earnings potential here are not what they may seem.

Good luck with your planning though!