PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly to mainland Spain without a passport from Tenerife?

judetenerife
28-05-2011, 17:50
Cant believe all the old posts have gone. hope somebody here knows the answer to my question, im sure it was discussed before.

I am a resident of TF with the green cert residencia and have british passport. ive have to fly to the US Embassy in madrid to apply in person for my CD1 crew visa (work on a ship). they keep yr passport to put the visa in and FedEx back. BUT can i get back to TF without my passport? would they accept a noterized copy at the airport? its only a domestic flight but us Brits dont have identy cards like the rest of europe. they can travel without a passport in europe but can i?

thanks

Pooh
28-05-2011, 17:54
I think IATA requirements are that all passengers have to be properly identified, unfortunately. It has nothing to do with if the flight is international or domestic.
Don't take my word for it, but I'm almost sure you can't.

judetenerife
28-05-2011, 18:03
what about with a noterized copy of passport or some other form of photo id? ive got the old but expired NIE photo card

uptowngirl
28-05-2011, 18:05
what about with a noterized copy of passport or some other form of photo id? ive got the old but expired NIE photo card

I am positive they won't accept it because it has expired I'm afraid. I know for a fact that even the internal ferries to other islands won't accept an expired residencia card, or a driving licence.

judetenerife
28-05-2011, 18:07
would the police station or notary know the answer. i dont want to be stuck in madrid for two weeks - cant afford a hotel for that amount of time!!

cainaries
28-05-2011, 22:45
Have you tried contacting the airline you're flying with and explaining? After all you can use your passport to fly to Madrid, it's only the getting back that's complicated.

If you go to your local Ayuntamiento can they issue you with one of those valid to travel forms? (I don't know much about these as I still have a valid photo NIE) but friends tell me thi works but you would need something with a photo ID. Have you not got a photo ID driving licence?

ali marshall
29-05-2011, 10:17
I know you defaintly cannot fly without a valid passport.I booked flights to fuerteventura and my sons passports have expired.The lady in the travel agents phoned binter canaries and they told her that they could not fly without a valid passport.I am just wondering why you have to apply in person for the visa.Can you not go there and apply and then send your passport when you return to tenerife.

If you send the passport through the post office on the day of your return they will receive it the next day.i am sure if you explain the situation to them and they took photo copys of the passport and then you sent it back to them straight away,would be less worry for you.

judetenerife
29-05-2011, 10:56
thanks for the answers. you have to have an interview in person for the visas so no way round that. when i booked the appointment with the embassy the operator on the phone did suggest that i asked the interviewer if i could post back the passport once i got home. so that might be how it will have to be. fingers crossed they let me. i dare not book the return flight incase i have to stay in madrid and lose the airfare. i can book the flight back at the airport in madrid right??

bonitatime
29-05-2011, 10:57
You always need to apply for an US visa in person now I think you will find.
You can also travel on a piece of paper issued by the national police which states you have lost your passport but unfortunately this is not your case. I would contact the national police and ask how you can travel explaining the situation.
Last possibility would be a temporary passport issued by the embassy in Madrid.

ali marshall
30-05-2011, 10:33
I would contact the embassy and explain the problem to them and ask if it is possible to forward your passport on to them once you return to tenerife.If they take photo copys of it while you are there,they will know it is your passport you are returning.

Like i said before i sent mine to madrid recorded delivery,it cost around 5 euro and they had it the next day.Los cristianos post office is open till around 8pm at night.Think this would be a less hassle solution for you,if the embassy agrees.

timmylish
31-05-2011, 01:31
We have Notarised copy Passports and never had a problem travelling internally (well I know I,ve not for a couple of years but Mrs. T. has). According to EU legislation such Notarisations are to be accepted as valid! However, knowing the attitude of some staff in travel offices, you had better confirm in advance. Best of luck!