PDA

View Full Version : Other Advice wanted on where to live in south Tenerife

fesdie
18-01-2012, 14:15
Hi, New to the forum so please bear with me.
My family & I are moving to the South of Tenerife in July and are currently looking at areas in which to live.
Our son will be attending Wingate school in Cabo Blanco but this is serviced by a good school bus so not restricted to this area only.
I would appreciate any advice, information on areas good to live.
We are all in the process of learning the language and hope to have a fairly good grasp of Spanish, we have a dog so need somewhere good to walk him and ideally would like to able to live somewhere that is not too far from a golf course.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks

waveydavey
18-01-2012, 15:33
Hi Fesdie I would take a look at Amarilla Golf,it seems to fit everything that you need,the only thing is the planes but if you can live with that have a look.

dotty1
18-01-2012, 17:05
We live on Amarilla Golf, don!t find the planes any problem, depends where you are, nice area, golf club on the doorstep, plenty of places to walk your dog. We have been here 8 years and really like it.

Tom & Sharon
18-01-2012, 17:42
Yep, agreed. Amarilla Golf fits the bill.

princessmonika
19-01-2012, 08:52
yes great place --love it -- have looked at many places over the last 5 years - now found my dream home in amarilla golf --the planes no problem

fesdie
19-01-2012, 08:53
Hi Fesdie I would take a look at Amarilla Golf,it seems to fit everything that you need,the only thing is the planes but if you can live with that have a look.

Thanks for that, will check it out

Great, thanks for help.
Does it get very windy there?

princessmonika
19-01-2012, 08:57
yes windy at times , but warm wind and when very hot , it is nice to have wind--

Simon-M
19-01-2012, 09:26
It is on the Windy side. Costa Adeje is a good place to look.

tonypub
19-01-2012, 09:46
buy a kite n youll be fine on amarilla

Suej
19-01-2012, 12:51
buy a kite n youll be fine on amarilla

If you are houseproud be prepared for a vigorous cleaning routine! You will get a daily delivery of dust!:mopfloor:

fesdie
19-01-2012, 12:57
Ha, well that could be the decision made then!!

Roadkingrider
19-01-2012, 14:24
Amarilla Golf is fine if you want nothing to do with Tenerife culture/Spanish way of life - someone has even put a red English phone box there - it's known as Little Britain and not without reason. Avoid would be my advice, unless you are looking for a mini version of Watford by the sea. And, about as interesting too. Nice little port though - the sherry's not too bad either (joke)

fesdie
19-01-2012, 14:48
Hi, that is really useful advice thanks.
I'm really keen to embrace the Spanish way of life, Any suggestions of where would be good to consider?
Thanks

timmylish
20-01-2012, 02:09
Hi, that is really useful advice thanks.
I'm really keen to embrace the Spanish way of life, Any suggestions of where would be good to consider?
Thanks

Any town or village close to the autopista!

slodgedad
20-01-2012, 03:46
After 17 years in Tenerife and finally buying a property in Las Chafiras (which I now hate) the best place I have lived in was Parque de la Reina.

Lovely village, nice bars and restaurants, multi cultural and best of all it is right beside the TF1

gsc
20-01-2012, 07:48
Well I'm not really in a position to offer advice but we've bought in Los Abrigos. I wanted something less 'Little England' but close enough to it when wanted, if you know what I mean. Downside - no pool, upside - sea view and the harbour. Places to eat and drink that don't cost the earth (fish on the harbour excluded) as long as you're happy to try some Spanish as not all speak English.

ddoyle
21-01-2012, 11:27
Have a look at Las Chafiras, love living there and plenty of space for walking the dog close to plenty of amenities etc,

Goforgold
21-01-2012, 12:50
How can anyone really advise where to live, gotta be personal choice - just in a couple of posts, one person hates Las Chafiras and one loves it!! ..:dontknow:

Suej
21-01-2012, 13:13
Very true GFG! you have to visit these places get a feel for them. After looking at lots of other locations I knew the first time I came up to Chayofa it was the place for me! but that wouldn´t be the case for everyone!:)

bonitatime
21-01-2012, 15:25
Come and rent on short term contracts until you find where you like.

Tinkabel
21-01-2012, 15:47
After 17 years in Tenerife and finally buying a property in Las Chafiras (which I now hate) the best place I have lived in was Parque de la Reina.

Lovely village, nice bars and restaurants, multi cultural and best of all it is right beside the TF1

I agree with this slodge, Love Parque de la Reina and the many different nationalities who live here, Enjoy the community and looking forward to the new park opening. Not for everyone though and most people slate it without ever having lived there. I would have to say take a good look around each area mentioned and spend some time there at different times of the day, When you find somewhere you think you like short term rent. Don't commit to buying unless your absolutely certain. Good Look where ever you decide.

louisecox
21-01-2012, 18:19
Hi can I just say that Adeje fits all your requirements. Close to Adeje golf, great schools and the colleges plus the university, which at the mo is just for summer but in the future is going to be year round. Lots of great shops, lovely dog walking areas in the hills. Great family atmosphere and Canarian village. They have some fantastic sports facilities with the new complex just opening, hold some brilliant festivals. So there you have it I love Adeje.

chifleta
21-01-2012, 18:43
LOL I love all the nicknames that have been given over the years... Amarilla Golf "Little Britain".... Parque de La Reina (about 7 years ago) "Little Liverpool".... and I live in Little Beirut hahahaha ...... I agree with the suggestion that you get shorter term lets initially to test the waters ... i've lived in Los Cristianos, Garachico, Las Galletas, and I settled in Little Beirut 13 years ago and stayed put, and shock horror, even bought an apartment here. If you're going to have transport, you'd probably be better staying up Cabo Blanco way, I bet the rental properties will be cheaper on that side of the TF1 than the coastal side....

Jenny10
22-01-2012, 21:17
Hi! We moved to the island 16 months ago. We initially rented in Chayofa while we looked at many different houses in almost every town/village in the south. We decided that we wanted to be out of the tourist areas but not too far inland - the further inland, and therefore uphill, the cooler it can get in 'winter'. After testing the patience of various estate agents we eventually bought a house in Cabo Blanco, which ticked every box on our list of must-haves. Cabo is a Spanish town which has good shops within walking distance and the people here are very friendly, both neighbours and tradesmen. The coast/airport/gof/tourist areas are only a 10 minute drive, and the bus service is good. It all depends on what your priorities are - we made a list of what was important/what we would be flexible on, and are very happy with the outcome. I hope you can find your ideal 'place in the sun'!

Nic
22-01-2012, 21:40
I've lived in Playa de las Americas, San Miguel (the village in the mountains), Los Abrigos, Amarilla Golf and Parque de la Reina. They all have advantages and disadvantages but here are my run downs....

Playa de las Americas - okay, so I was 22 when I lived there and it was great for nightlife. You don't really need a car and you're always close enough to a bus stop but it is a tourist spot so not ideal for living there full time.

San Miguel - I loved it. You get the different seasons up there. Warm in summer and flippin freezing in winter and it is still quite Spanish. Everything you need is in the town, doctor, dentist, vet, post office, shops, bars. The downside is the road to get there. You always get stuck behind some banana truck or an old man Mercedes driver who can't go above 40kph.

Amarilla Golf - as various posts have said, it's a very ex pat community but as you're looking for a more Spanish lifestyle this really wouldn't be a great choice. It's come on since I lived there but still not somewhere I'd recommend (sorry to all AG residents, just a personal choice).

Los Abrigos - I loved it and was sad to leave. Great places for walking the dog (up the side of the airport), there's shops, bars, restaurants and you can go for lovely walks in the evening down to the port area and sit and have a coffee or beer and they have a great fiesta every year too. There's a mixed community there but still mainly Canarian. Not many downsides, just the traffic at Las Chafiras cross at peak times!

Parque de la Reina - been here three years now. A place I've always known as I lived here in 2000 as well for a couple of years. It's great to get to, you come off the motorway, never any tailbacks and you're straight into the estate. I call it an estate, not a village even though there are shops, bars, restaurants, hairdressers and a soon to be finished park. I would say that about 50% are ex pats but don't let that put you off if you want a Canarian lifestyle, it's okay!

Anyway, that's just my opinions but as other people have said, where you want to live is very much personal taste, explore the area you want to live in first beofre making any final decisions and hope you enjoy wherever you choose!

fesdie
23-01-2012, 12:35
Hello and thank you to all who have responded to my initial request for advice about where to live. As a few have pointed out noone can really advise on where someone should live, what I was looking for was info, opinions etc and all the posts have been really helpful.
I have a list of things that I would like, some negotiable and some not! The opinions people have given have helped me right off some places already.
I had been thinking I would take a 6 month let initially to get a feel for an area but perhaps 3 months would be better? Does anyone know if 3 month rentals are common practice as I am getting nowhere fast with rental agencies.
I have booked a 3 week holiday let for when we first come out to allow us time to find somewhere for longer, I thought 3 weeks would be time enough but please let me know if this is not the case.
Thanks everyone.

chifleta
23-01-2012, 13:03
Hello and thank you to all who have responded to my initial request for advice about where to live. As a few have pointed out noone can really advise on where someone should live, what I was looking for was info, opinions etc and all the posts have been really helpful.
I have a list of things that I would like, some negotiable and some not! The opinions people have given have helped me right off some places already.
I had been thinking I would take a 6 month let initially to get a feel for an area but perhaps 3 months would be better? Does anyone know if 3 month rentals are common practice as I am getting nowhere fast with rental agencies.
I have booked a 3 week holiday let for when we first come out to allow us time to find somewhere for longer, I thought 3 weeks would be time enough but please let me know if this is not the case.
Thanks everyone.

I think with things how they are over here, most agents/owners will agree to a 3 month contract ... also, don't let them take any more than one months deposit (returnable) off you.... and also, don't let them get huge contract fee off you either, I don't know what the average contract fee charge is, but the norm (a couple of years ago) used to be approx. 30€ (though there are a few agencies that try and get anything from 100€ up to even a full months rent as fee!)..... i'm sure some of the folk here on the forum can give you a better idea, as I may be a bit behind the times and a bigger fee may be the norm nowadays, though i'd be surprised.... good luck with your move.

fesdie
23-01-2012, 13:38
Thanks for that, good advice. I have been advised by some rental agents that I would need to put down 2 months deposit plus another month fee so thanks for the heads up!

chifleta
23-01-2012, 13:43
Thanks for that, good advice. I have been advised by some rental agents that I would need to put down 2 months deposit plus another month fee so thanks for the heads up!

WOW................. and you're welcome.......

londonjimmy
23-01-2012, 14:34

I was advised that by some, but to be honest 1 month rent/ 1 month deposit is norm with most.