PDA

View Full Version : Other My Adventures in Tenerife

Babette V.
18-01-2012, 22:03
Hello everybody,

My name is Babette and I am studying English in the Netherlands. Writing on this Forum is one of the assignments I have to do for school. So I might as well warn you now, my English is still far from perfect but I would like to give it a try :wink2:. If you see any mistakes or if you have any questions about my story in Tenerife, then please let me know.

Well, where do I start? I think it al began on the 5th of may 2010. I was studying Tourism at the time and had to do my final internship. I applied for a job as receptionist at the Green Garden Resort in Playa de Las Americas and before I even knew it I was already on a plane to Tenerife. I lived there in one of the apartments of the Gran Oasis Resort with 3 other girls for six months.

I immediately fell in love with the island and its culture. There are so many things to do. Things that I would really recommend you to do when you go to Tenerife are: Siam Park and Loro Parque (especially if you have any children), see the dolphins with one of the boots in the harbour of Los Christianos, go diving, see the Teide and Los Gigantes or just rent a car and explore the island on your own. You would be amazed with what you would see. When you drive out of Playa de Las Americas, the first thing you see is the authentic houses where the local people live in. When you drive along the coastline there are some beautiful beaches and nice little villages where you can eat really good tapas.

I have so many great memories about my time there. When I think of it I almost get a little homesick. The nice weather, the people, the food, the beaches and etc.

In October 2010 I came back to Holland and now I’m trying to go back every once in a while for a nice holiday and to see my friends.

tonypub
18-01-2012, 22:05
Hello everybody,

My name is Babette and I am studying English in the Netherlands. Writing on this Forum is one of the assignments I have to do for school. So I might as well warn you now, my English is still far from perfect but I would like to give it a try :wink2:. If you see any mistakes or if you have any questions about my story in Tenerife, then please let me know.

Well, where do I start? I think it al began on the 5th of may 2010. I was studying Tourism at the time and had to do my final internship. I applied for a job as receptionist at the Green Garden Resort in Playa de Las Americas and before I even knew it I was already on a plane to Tenerife. I lived there in one of the apartments of the Gran Oasis Resort with 3 other girls for six months.

I immediately fell in love with the island and its culture. There are so many things to do. Things that I would really recommend you to do when you go to Tenerife are: Siam Park and Loro Parque (especially if you have any children), see the dolphins with one of the boots in the harbour of Los Christianos, go diving, see the Teide and Los Gigantes or just rent a car and explore the island on your own. You would be amazed with what you would see. When you drive out of Playa de Las Americas, the first thing you see is the authentic houses where the local people live in. When you drive along the coastline there are some beautiful beaches and nice little villages where you can eat really good tapas.

I have so many great memories about my time there. When I think of it I almost get a little homesick. The nice weather, the people, the food, the beaches and etc.

In October 2010 I came back to Holland and now I’m trying to go back every once in a while for a nice holiday and to see my friends.your written english is better than mine,but then again my english teacher was scottish:crylaughing:

Carol55
18-01-2012, 22:26
A warm welcome to the forum and good luck with your assignment.:goodluck:

As Tonypub has pointed out, your English is better than his, it wasn't because his teacher was Scottish that let him down, its because he has a inborn English inability to learn!:D

tonypub
18-01-2012, 22:30
A warm welcome to the forum and good luck with your assignment.:goodluck:

As Tonypub has pointed out, your English is better than his, it wasn't because his teacher was Scottish that let him down, its because he has a inborn English inability to learn!:Dinborn or interbred?ill stay english thank you:bootyshake:

marbro8
18-01-2012, 23:16
well done babette, your english is far better than my dutch:wink2:

beerfan
18-01-2012, 23:24
Your English is absolutely fine. Don't worry about it. In fact, your English is actually of a higher standard than that of many Englishmen and women. :)

well done babette, your english is far better than my dutch:wink2:

Who speaks Dutch apart from the Dutch, some of the Belgians and the Surinamese?

Ecky Thump
18-01-2012, 23:38
Who speaks Dutch apart from the Dutch, some of the Belgians and the Surinamese?

I thought it was widely spoken in South Africa and in parts of Germany and Belgium.:dontknow:

beerfan
18-01-2012, 23:38
I thought it was widely spoken in South Africa

That's not Dutch, that's Afrikaans.

Ecky Thump
18-01-2012, 23:42
That's not Dutch, that's Afrikaans.

Nope, Afrikaans come from the German language. I think.;)

beerfan
18-01-2012, 23:46
Nope, Afrikaans come from the German language. I think.;)

Afrikaans evolved from 17th century Dutch and the written version, I am told, is quite mutually intelligible with Dutch but speech is another matter. They're still different languages though.

Ecky Thump
18-01-2012, 23:46
Hello everybody,

And a warm welcome from me too, now you can teach us about your language.:)

tracy hampshire
18-01-2012, 23:47
babette your english is really good like most of the duch people, i lived in holland for a while about 20 years ago, in delft, but remember little of what dutch i learned, i too have friends that did the same sort of exchange as you but they were in the hotel botanico in puerto de la cruz, they all had a great time here , we keep in touch and they often visit, i'm so glad you enjoyed your time in tenerife, it is a special island xxxx

Ecky Thump
18-01-2012, 23:49
Afrikaans evolved from 17th century Dutch and the written version, I am told, is relatively mutually intelligible with Dutch but speech is another matter. They're still different languages though.

So what your saying, without prevaricating any more (or Googling), is that I am partly right.:p

marbro8
Your English is absolutely fine. Don't worry about it. In fact, your English is actually of a higher standard than that of many Englishmen and women. :)

Who speaks Dutch apart from the Dutch, some of the Belgians and the Surinamese?it was meant tongue in cheek beerfan;) no one in the world could speak dutch other than the dutch, it is probably as hard to learn as chinese lol, i was just trying to say to the op that she can be proud of herself for being able to speak and write in another language;)

tracy hampshire
they do have duch speaking islands in the carribean also x

beerfan
18-01-2012, 23:59
they do have duch speaking islands in the carribean also x

But they are all technically part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, if not all a full political part of the Netherlands.

marbro8
19-01-2012, 00:03
it was meant tongue in cheek beerfan;) no one in the world could speak dutch other than the dutch, it is probably as hard to learn as chinese lol, i was just trying to say to the op that she can be proud of herself for being able to speak and write in another language;)actualy i think that english is widely taught in holland as the second language simply so that they can communicate with most of the modern world:D

tracy hampshire
19-01-2012, 00:19
most of the dutch people i met spoke fluent english, i worked there with no problem, and that was 20 years ago, so i would imagine it is much more wide spoken now, and i must add i found the the dutch one of the most friendly, hospitipal people i have met. absolutly loved my time in holland .

Chayofa Tete
19-01-2012, 09:17
Well done with your English Babette (small correction boat instead of boot) but otherwise perfect,you have picked the correct island in Tenerife it will not let you down.Out of interest they say that the purest form of spoken English is strangely enough in Inverness, Scotland but then again us Scots are pretty good at most things, unfortunately apart from football these days.

beerfan
19-01-2012, 12:34
So what your saying, without prevaricating any more (or Googling), is that I am partly right.:p

Partially, yes, but Dutch people are much more likely to understand Afrikaans than the other way round.

tonypub
19-01-2012, 12:50
why does the rest of the world not learn scotch:bootyshake: can the colour scheme on the forum be changed,im not likin it:lol:

beerfan
19-01-2012, 12:58
why does the rest of the world not learn scotch:bootyshake: can the colour scheme on the forum be changed,im not likin it:lol:

No, it can't (no other options available - up to the admins to introduce new skins).

marbro8
20-01-2012, 20:44
most of the dutch people i met spoke fluent english, i worked there with no problem, and that was 20 years ago, so i would imagine it is much more wide spoken now, and i must add i found the the dutch one of the most friendly, hospitipal people i have met. absolutly loved my time in holland .yes you are right they are a very nice nation, we have been to holland and were made to feel very welcome, although they have an even bigger immigration problem than we do:(, and we met some people from holland at the parqe sandiago 4 a couple of years ago and they were lovely, they told us that most of the tv shows over there are in english:)

beerfan
20-01-2012, 20:49
yes you are right they are a very nice nation, we have been to holland and were made to feel very welcome, although they have an even bigger immigration problem than we do:(

Fortunately for them they have a party that wants to sort it out. Bit extreme for me but I take it you've heard of the Party for Freedom, who are very popular over there?

warbey
20-01-2012, 21:17
yes you are right they are a very nice nation, we have been to holland and were made to feel very welcome, although they have an even bigger immigration problem than we do:(, and we met some people from holland at the parqe sandiago 4 a couple of years ago and they were lovely, they told us that most of the tv shows over there are in english:)

The Dutch seem to be nearest to Us in many ways than Others are
Most of Our lot get on with Them..

Where are the Adventures..?

marbro8
20-01-2012, 21:19
Fortunately for them they have a party that wants to sort it out. Bit extreme for me but I take it you've heard of the Party for Freedom, who are very popular over there?no i havn't? i am all for curbing immigration after finding out today how many are claiming benefits in brittain, and never paying anything into it:redcard:, but i stop very short of being racist:redcard:

Added after 4 minutes:

:D
The Dutch seem to be nearest to Us in many ways than Others are Most of Our lot get on with Them.. Where are the Adventures..?i think it was lost in translation

tracy hampshire
20-01-2012, 23:01
used to work with polish who were claiming child benifit for children who were living in poland with there parents, also claiming in poland, no offence to the polish, the goverment let them get away with it, but why is it that mostly immigrents seem to beable to milk the system, i only got the very basic after redundancy from working in a factory for 20 years, the dutch might have an immegration problem but they don't seem to be in the same mess as the uk.

beerfan
20-01-2012, 23:39
no i havn't? i am all for curbing immigration after finding out today how many are claiming benefits in brittain, and never paying anything into it:redcard:, but i stop very short of being racist

The PVV are the third largest party in the Netherlands.

Their policies include:

Record ethnicity of all Dutch citizens
Actively repatriate criminals of foreign citizenship and Dutch nationals originating from the Netherlands Antilles
Deport criminals with a dual nationality or single foreign nationality back to their country of origin after a prison sentence together with their entire families
Restrict immigrant labour from new EU member states and especially Islamic countries
Closure of all Islamic schools
Hard punishment of violence against homosexuals and jews, which particularly comes from the Islamic corner
Forbid Islamic gender apartheid by law
To pass into law strong constitutional protection of the dominance of the Judeo-Christian and humanistic culture of the Netherlands
To defend the essential elements of Dutch culture: freedom of homosexuals and equality of men and women
To make the Quran illegal to sell in the Netherlands, giving it a similar status to Mein Kampf, which is also illegal to sell in the Netherlands
Massively restrict immigration from Muslim countries
Ban the burqa, niqab and any other Islamic veiling apparel
Oppose the accession of Turkey to the EU
Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EU

Ecky Thump
21-01-2012, 00:35

Their policies include:

Actively repatriate criminals of foreign citizenship and Dutch nationals originating from the Netherlands Antilles
Deport criminals with a dual nationality or single foreign nationality back to their country of origin after a prison sentence together with their entire families
Restrict immigrant labour from new EU member states and especially Islamic countries
Hard punishment of violence against homosexuals and jews, which particularly comes from the Islamic corner
To pass into law strong constitutional protection of the dominance of the Judeo-Christian and humanistic culture of the Netherlands
To defend the essential elements of Dutch culture: freedom of homosexuals and equality of men and women
To make the Quran illegal to sell in the Netherlands, giving it a similar status to Mein Kampf, which is also illegal to sell in the Netherlands
Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EU

Has any of this got any thing to do with Babette opening post and her wish to complete her assignment or it going to become another political debate.:(

Before another thread is hijacked and closed, maybe we should get it back on its original track.

beerfan
21-01-2012, 00:37
Can we split the thread so that this can carry on in its original place?

marbro8
21-01-2012, 00:38

Their policies include:

Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EUthey have some great ideas but we as a country could never impliment (and maybe shouldn't) impliment some of those laws, we live in a multicultural society now and we have so many british muslims in this country that it would be completely unworkable, 99% of british muslims are proud to be british, it is only the 1% that spoil it for the rest, and we should not pander to their whims, people forget that muslims, hindu's and seiks have laid down their lives for the british empire:bowdown:

beerfan
21-01-2012, 00:41
The thing is, the PVV came literally from nowhere. That's the most shocking thing. Wilders only founded the party in 2005 and in several short years they are in effective ruling coalition partner! Almost frightening when you think about it.

And yes, I agree - some of those policies are startlingly illiberal and far too extreme.

Ecky Thump
21-01-2012, 00:44
Has any of this got any thing to do with Babette opening post and her wish to complete her assignment or it going to become another political debate.:(

Before another thread is hijacked and closed, maybe we should get it back on its original track.

This is now becoming a repetitive thing on the forum and I think it is unfair on people who take the bother to start a new thread.

beerfan
21-01-2012, 00:46
This is now becoming a repetitive thing on the forum and I think it is unfair on people who take the bother to start a new thread.

There's no reason to close it - just split the thing in two.

caroletenerife
21-01-2012, 18:48
There's no reason to close it - just split the thing in two.

Why don't you start a thread about issues that interest you, then people that have an interest in those issues can join it and contribute.

warbey
21-01-2012, 21:52
looks as if Babette has been frightened off.

Still no Adventures.! Cant blame Her really, all these History Lessons.

Where's that ignore button.?