PDA

View Full Version : What's the daily rate for a builder in Tenerife?

gsc
19-01-2012, 08:11
Morning all

Can anyone tell me what a qualified legal builder would expect as a daily rate?

Do English builders command a higher rate than the local builders?

Suej
19-01-2012, 11:24
We have had a non British builder in for quite a lot of work recently he is excellent! and I wouldn´t use anyone else now, first class work! he charges 80€ a day and worth every cent and more! He also gives me all the bills for materials!

Quite a few British "so called" builders I have come across do seem to charge more and quite honestly are just untrained DIY´ers imo!;)

tonypub
19-01-2012, 12:11
you pay for what you get,be carefull and only get a builder with recommendations;) heres a link to a good friend of mine http://www.pridebuilding.com/

Topacciolo
19-01-2012, 13:01
I'm sorry but being in uk for 12 years I love the place and the people but I will never ever recommend or pay extra for an English builder!!!!!
I'm sure there are some very good one out there and believe me I don't want to offend the category but I had so many bad experiences here wile renovating the house that when I will be in Tenerife I will look for a lot of english things but a builder is not one of those!!!!

Topacciolo

karinagal
19-01-2012, 13:11
you pay for what you get,be carefull and only get a builder with recommendations;) heres a link to a good friend of mine http://www.pridebuilding.com/

Pride builders repaired our bathroom ceiling for us through our insurers. Did a lovely job of it too.

Sundowner
19-01-2012, 14:19
[QUOTE=Topacciolo;137863]I'm sorry but being in uk for 12 years I love the place and the people but I will never ever recommend or pay extra for an English builder!!!!!
I'm sure there are some very good one out there and believe me I don't want to offend the category but I had so many bad experiences here wile renovating the house that when I will be in Tenerife I will look for a lot of english things but a builder is not one of those!!!!

It does not matter what nationality the builder is, there are good and bad in all nationalities!! Recommendation is the only way to go and Pride Buildings quality and price make them a winner;)

atlantico
19-01-2012, 14:21
I pay €140 for builder and labourer . . . . . . . . and stand over them with a whip ! and lots of cups of tea. start 8.00, finish 4.30, 20 mins for lunch ! Thats €18 an hour for 2 men (suppose thats €12 and €6 for labourer)

tonypub
19-01-2012, 15:05
I'm sorry but being in uk for 12 years I love the place and the people but I will never ever recommend or pay extra for an English builder!!!!!

Topacciolono-one has said pay extra have they:dontknow:oh and the guy from pride is a taffy

cainaries
19-01-2012, 15:59
no-one has said pay extra have they:dontknow:oh and the guy from pride is a taffy

OP asked if 'English' builders commanded a higher price so no-one said it, no, but the question was asked. Very brave to write 'English' imo!

There is talk here on La Palma of people bringing builders (labourers, I suspect they mean) over from Tenerife, putting them up and feeding them and paying them 5 euros an hour whereas here they would probably pay double. Given what it must cost in meat, potatoes and beer, I'm not sure there's any saving.

gsc
19-01-2012, 17:27
Thanks everyone - some excellent input there - should just clarify - I should have said 'English-speaking'. By that I meant that I suspected there might be a premium paid when 'newbies' find some-one to take all the 'worry' of being in a 'strange' environment with a potential language barrier.

We have a builder that came recommended, a very nice man and I have no worries about him or his work. However it may come down to having to work to a budget and it makes sense to gather a little informtion and perhaps a couple more quotes before 20 grand disappears when it maybe could have been 15. ;)

I do agree you get what you pay for quite often but sometimes you can't afford to pay an extra whatever to save yourself doing your homework.:ashamed:

9PLUS
19-01-2012, 17:37
Don't expect to pay an hourly or daily rate for a professional "legal" builder because quite frankly a legal builder on €80 a day as a company is set for ruin from the start.

Especially if they are giving you all the bills, i mean what kind of set up doesn't make a small percentage on materials if they are going off to collect them?

I estimate that any self employed individual working legal would need at least €55 a day for outgoings Tax, all types of insurances, contributions, petrol, phone, computer, paperworks, etc etc etc

We'll have on here again soon that workers get nothing in Tenerife we are all hard done by and then pay a company €50 a day for their workers

Suej
19-01-2012, 17:56
That´s what I have been paying (80€ per day) the guy doing my building work and he does an excellent job! I´m not going to question the whys and wherefores! I´m happy! He also re-did a friends roof that had been leaking for 2 years that a reputable builder could not manage to repair successfully after two attempts. Last year we had plenty of rain in the winter and no leaks so they were really happy with his work too!

9PLUS
19-01-2012, 18:09
That´s what I have been paying (80€ per day) the guy doing my building work and he does an excellent job! I´m not going to question the whys and wherefores! I´m happy! He also re-did a friends roof that had been leaking for 2 years that a reputable builder could not manage to repair successfully after two attempts. Last year we had plenty of rain in the winter and no leaks so they were really happy with his work too!

Good for you SueJ i'm happy you're happy i'm not doubting your builders professionalism in any way at all.

But I do not myself see how he could possible survive even at a one man band level without a mortgage and a van if paying out legally if only it be the minimum tax and insurance.

You can make it less complicated and less costly by cutting down on paperwork, computers filing systems etc by just having a receipt book printed in your name. I choose not to go that way just because i deal with that many bits of paperwork day in day out.

A website alone can cost €200 or more a year all goes towards the minimum basic cost - Overheads

golf birdie
19-01-2012, 18:36
a builder working for 80€ a day would need to work 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year to make a decent wage. Now to get work 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year you would need to be very good which poses the question, if they are that good why are they charging so little ?

Suej
19-01-2012, 18:40
a builder working for 80€ a day would need to work 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year to make a decent wage. Now to get work 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year you would need to be very good which poses the question, if they are that good why are they charging so little ?

I can´t answer for the builder! His work is all I´m interested in and I don´t ask any questions! By the way in answer to 9plus yes he is a one man band, well two actually so that´s 80€ x 2 when they are both working.:)

gsc
19-01-2012, 19:01
I think you need to allow for the fact that people can be good at their jobs but not very astute businessmen. I often see bars cuting prices to keep up with the competition to a level that means they can't survive or are working for a pittance but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good value on the receiving end.

We use some-one in the UK that charges peanuts - he's excellent - but hopeless at getting work - if it doesn't land in his lap then he has no work and end up on the dole. Don't get me wrong, he's not a scrounger, he just has no idea how to maximise his strengths.

9PLUS
19-01-2012, 19:26
As long as the price is right who cares until something happens

It's the death of progress

Everyone to their own

Suej
19-01-2012, 19:26
I think you need to allow for the fact that people can be good at their jobs but not very astute businessmen. I often see bars cuting prices to keep up with the competition to a level that means they can't survive or are working for a pittance but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good value on the receiving end.

We use some-one in the UK that charges peanuts - he's excellent - but hopeless at getting work - if it doesn't land in his lap then he has no work and end up on the dole. Don't get me wrong, he's not a scrounger, he just has no idea how to maximise his strengths.

I agree with this! and I must admit I was surprised when he produced the bills for the materials! He´s such a quiet meek and mild mannered guy and I think he´s happy to be making a living! He was recommended to me by a German neighbour and will be working on my complex for a while yet as he´s now got work from other people.

9PLUS
19-01-2012, 20:51
I guess he has no need for them

Suej
19-01-2012, 22:59
I´m butting out of this thread now as I only intended to make one reply to the OP´s question! as for the other issues??? they´re not of any concern to me:)

gsc
20-01-2012, 09:13
Thank you for your input Sue. Much appreciated.

For the records, most of the builders I use in the UK I pay direct for materials and they bill their time on an agreed daily rate. It's not about dodging the tax-man - it's about people that don't always feel comfortable handling everything and are happier with less for not having to deal with so much hassle.

atlantico
20-01-2012, 11:55
yep, my guy just works the hours, I collect and pay for all the materials, everything.

BUT, if someone says they are qualified and legal and so charge €200 a day - what if they're not ? Then they are just con artists ! How do you know ? Is there a registry for legal companies where you can check, or just go with recommendations ?

Surely to be 'legal' and self employed, you only have to pay your social / taxes ?

9PLUS
20-01-2012, 11:59
Just ask them to show you their last Social payment/s

Added after 2 minutes:

Surely to be 'legal' and self employed, you only have to pay your social / taxes ?

Does yourself as a self employed person ONLY have to pay Social / Taxes?

gsc
28-03-2012, 18:47
Just wanted to say, I had a dreadful experience with my English builder - nightmare stuff - but finally switched to a local chap and his brother. They work as a pair, he is skilled and his brother semi-skilled.

After our discussions here I asked if they could work for 140 euros a day for the 2 of them and I would pay all the bills direct and wages at the end of every week. Alternatively they would quote for work based on those rates.

I am very happy with the quality of their work and their reliability. Jose is local but his wife is English so never any communication problems.

So thanks for everyone's input here. Without your help it would certainly have taken me longer to sort out. The way I like to work wouldn't suit everyone - my sister would have a fit doing what I'm doing - but we all hate being ripped off, and honestly? if I'd carried on with the first builder I'd have paid twice as much for a job not so well done. 5,200 for a rewire? Never again.

So before I start on a rant - thanks once again - much appreciated.

9PLUS
28-03-2012, 21:13
Thanks for your input gsc. I didn't price your rewire but i will say putting €5200 as a quote without explaining what it was for is unfair.

€5200 for a studio or 6 bedroom mansion with air con and swimming pool heating? one side of that sounds expensive the other side sounds very very cheap.

I'm glad you were happy with the second choice of builder

But How do they run a company on €70 a day surely they can't be legal

"IF" they are not then i dont believe it to be correct to promoting that kind of business.

Kind of glad you're happy however...

marbro8
28-03-2012, 22:04
we had a job done a few years ago now i can't remember the name of the company but i remember oz, neville bomber and dennis where the brickie's barry was the electrician moxey did the plastering and a kid called wayne did the carpentry, it took a while but we had a great laff:laugh:

gsc
29-03-2012, 09:11
Well I didn't mean to put it as a quote as such, more an expression of my frustration. However, I won't mention names but I do know the electrician who did the job for builder charged 2800 and the builder loaded the price to me as he did with everything else.

To begin with, everything was unfamiliar to me so I couldn't judge how prices related to the UK and I got totally sick of being told how expensive things are here. I have a number of houses in the UK and an electrician who does a lot of work for me there along with other trades. Since using Jose I have had chance to check prices and work out what is expensive and what is not. For example, I might have paid double for the stairs which finally cost me 700 and are nicely made by a local carpenter.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a rant. I imagine that the 140 per day is split something like 80-60 or 90-50, I didn't ask. I am going to be honest here in case anyone else uses Jose. He asked for 160 a day and we negotiated as it was a biggish job. I think the way things are at the moment it's all a question of negotiation. I have no doubt that much of it doesn't reach the tax man in many instances but that's life, both here and in the UK.

In this instance, using Jose I would be using the same electrician and plasterer except he's not loading the price. I don't mind paying a small load when some-one is doing all the running round and organising but there are limits and I reached mine.

With the original builder I can accept that he made what he could, a large loading, and I was completely honest with him about getting other quotes after the first £10,000 was spent. What I wasn't prepared for was the totally unprofessional way he behaved when he didn't get the rest of the work, at one point I was seriously worried all his workers would not get paid even though I had paid him all but the last of the electricians money. Some is still outstanding but at least no very large amounts. I am out of pocket by a few hundred also.

The point is, in this instance, the one man band turned out to be a much safer option.

Suej
29-03-2012, 10:27
Well I didn't mean to put it as a quote as such, more an expression of my frustration. However, I won't mention names but I do know the electrician who did the job for builder charged 2800 and the builder loaded the price to me as he did with everything else.

To begin with, everything was unfamiliar to me so I couldn't judge how prices related to the UK and I got totally sick of being told how expensive things are here. I have a number of houses in the UK and an electrician who does a lot of work for me there along with other trades. Since using Jose I have had chance to check prices and work out what is expensive and what is not. For example, I might have paid double for the stairs which finally cost me 700 and are nicely made by a local carpenter.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a rant. I imagine that the 140 per day is split something like 80-60 or 90-50, I didn't ask. I am going to be honest here in case anyone else uses Jose. He asked for 160 a day and we negotiated as it was a biggish job. I think the way things are at the moment it's all a question of negotiation. I have no doubt that much of it doesn't reach the tax man in many instances but that's life, both here and in the UK.

In this instance, using Jose I would be using the same electrician and plasterer except he's not loading the price. I don't mind paying a small load when some-one is doing all the running round and organising but there are limits and I reached mine.

With the original builder I can accept that he made what he could, a large loading, and I was completely honest with him about getting other quotes after the first £10,000 was spent. What I wasn't prepared for was the totally unprofessional way he behaved when he didn't get the rest of the work, at one point I was seriously worried all his workers would not get paid even though I had paid him all but the last of the electricians money. Some is still outstanding but at least no very large amounts. I am out of pocket by a few hundred also.

The point is, in this instance, the one man band turned out to be a much safer option.

Totally agree with this post! I don't know why some people think that just because they produce a bill that the customer will have any comeback or guarantees...doesn't matter what you charge or how you charge it a job is a job as long as it's done properly! Any builder can disappear without trace invoice or no invoice!:wink:

9PLUS
03-04-2012, 06:47
I see the Black economy is thriving in Tenerife coming off this thread

gsc
03-04-2012, 08:15
the local doing the building (not kitting out) my new bedroom/bathroom is doing it for €60 a day

I must tell my builder he is overcharging. :whistle: :laugh:

gsc
03-04-2012, 09:47
The thing is - Do you have an answer to it?

Angusjim
03-04-2012, 10:24
Although I run my company in the UK I think the principals I would use in Tenerife would be the same, I prefer to provide a quote and give a detailed description of what we have included and probably more important what we have not included for. The discussion about what is charged per day is an interesting debate, say someone charges 100euros per day do you automatically thinks they are better value than someone who charges 125euros per day keeping in mind the guy charging 125 euros may do the work twice as quick !! I would imagine it is very difficult to decide if someone is doing the job in an acceptable timescale if you know nothing or very little about the building industry, but in my experience it is amazing how customers become experts on how long jobs should take when they receive an hourly rated invoice???

gsc
03-04-2012, 10:43
Well I actually work a bit of both ways. I agree a day rate, then ask for a price per job based on that rate with me paying for materials, just until I know I can trust the person and their work rate and work ethic.

The reason I do it this way is that I know a lot of tradesmen who are excellent at what they do but just can't handle too much at once.

Jose quoted me 2 weeks for the first job, a given amount, but actually charged me less when it took less. To me that is a very honest person. He works hard and says he just wants wages every Friday and he's happy with that. He's not looking to make a killing or set up a company.

When I'm here he works day rate. While I'm away he will give a price for the job then he can come and go as he pleases if he has other work.

It works for me. :)

Angusjim
03-04-2012, 10:57
Well I actually work a bit of both ways. I agree a day rate, then ask for a price per job based on that rate with me paying for materials, just until I know I can trust the person and their work rate and work ethic.

The reason I do it this way is that I know a lot of tradesmen who are excellent at what they do but just can't handle too much at once.

Jose quoted me 2 weeks for the first job, a given amount, but actually charged me less when it took less. To me that is a very honest person. He works hard and says he just wants wages every Friday and he's happy with that. He's not looking to make a killing or set up a company.

When I'm here he works day rate. While I'm away he will give a price for the job then he can come and go as he pleases if he has other work.

It works for me. :)

If the job had taken 4 weeks would you have paid him the extra 2 week or held him to his quote ? When we give quotes as opposed to estimates this is to give cost certainty to customers if we finish early it a bonus to us if it take longer it is the customers gain.
It works for me:wink:

gsc
03-04-2012, 11:09
If the job had taken 4 weeks would you have paid him the extra 2 week or held him to his quote ?

Not disputing for a minute that he was entitled to keep to his quote. I think the point was that he was demonstrating to me that I could trust him working on day rate. It saves him the hassle of quoting and the risk of making a mistake. I now know him well enough to know that if he says something will be around 2 weeks work and it takes 3 then something unforseen has happened, but mostly it's about right. I pay him day rate and know roughly what bills I have coming in.

I think we all have different ways we like to work, whichever end of the arrangement we are on.

I have other properties in the UK and it may be in time we have some here and less in the UK, so it's important to me that I begin to learn the ropes here and I think this has been a good learning curve so far despite the setbacks with the first builder.

timtenerife
03-04-2013, 11:36
Hi Suej

Hope I'm doing this right cos new to TF. Can you send me contact details for the builder you refer to please. My email is *removed*

Thanks
Tim

lovingtenerife
01-07-2013, 16:38
Morning all

Can anyone tell me what a qualified legal builder would expect as a daily rate?

Do English builders command a higher rate than the local builders?

As far as I can tell English builders have similar prices to the local ones. But I prefer paying a bit more and being sure that the work is well done.

Thanking Ross for the great refurbishment he made in our building http://radinteriors.com/gallery/doors/

amanda
02-07-2013, 09:10
I bet there are a lot of english builders here pretend they cant read or write for their convenience lol

bulldog
02-07-2013, 17:27
I bet there are a lot of english builders here pretend they cant read or write for their convenience lol

'' pay the peanut get the monkey''

shopstoomuch
04-10-2013, 18:46
Hi Sue

Just seen your posting on the Tenerife Forum about builders - we have got a villa to finish off and we are looking for a decent reasonably priced builder (preferably who speaks English!) to give us some prices. Could you give us the details of the builder you use? Many thanks.

bulldog
04-10-2013, 19:01
Hi Sue

Just seen your posting on the Tenerife Forum about builders - we have got a villa to finish off and we are looking for a decent reasonably priced builder (preferably who speaks English!) to give us some prices. Could you give us the details of the builder you use? Many thanks.

I am one of a hand full of Brits who have actually built villas in the south of Tenerife
now retired but still have a wealth of contacts after 26 years on the island you can pm
if need any help or advice.

marbro8
04-10-2013, 19:20
Hi Sue

Just seen your posting on the Tenerife Forum about builders - we have got a villa to finish off and we are looking for a decent reasonably priced builder (preferably who speaks English!) to give us some prices. Could you give us the details of the builder you use? Many thanks.you could pop in to taylors lounge and see paul the owner, that's how he made his living years ago before he went into the pub trade, i suppose he has probably got some contacts:)

shopstoomuch
04-10-2013, 19:20
I am one of a hand full of Brits who have actually built villas in the south of Tenerife
now retired but still have a wealth of contacts after 26 years on the island you can pm
if need any help or advice.

Hi Bulldog, Yes we really could do with some help! We need some reasonably-priced (preferably English speaking) competent workmen (bricklayer, roofer, plasterer, scaffolding, tiler, electrician, plumber) to help us finish off a large villa project - any email addresses you have for these would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

bulldog
04-10-2013, 19:33
shopstoomuch,send me a pm. with more info. where is your build ? how far along with the build are you,
what trades are needed first,my experience is building from plot till ''fin de obra''working along side architects etc.
if I can help you, I will but more info. is needed.

shopstoomuch
04-10-2013, 19:41
Bulldog, can you please give us your email address so we can discuss further?

bulldog
04-10-2013, 20:06
I,ve sent you a pm.

princessmonika
05-10-2013, 08:29
is that 140 euro per day atlantico?????

lovingtenerife
28-10-2016, 19:32
As far as I can tell English builders have similar prices to the local ones. But I prefer paying a bit more and being sure that the work is well done.

Thanking Ross for the great refurbishment he made in our building http://radinteriors.com/gallery/doors/

Ross Davies is working in Tenerife again. For anyone who knew him and his great work here you can contact him: http://radinteriors.es/