PDA

View Full Version : The Powers That Be and Crazy Decision Making in Iceland, Las Chafiras, Tenerife.

chifleta
20-01-2012, 15:43
Anyone wanting to use their credit card in Iceland, be warned, the powers that be have decided, in their infinate wisdom (even if we have credit card or clavecard with chip AND pin), that they now cannot accept them for payment unless you have your original passport/ID or driving licence (I don't drive, so that's a no go straight out)......

How crazy is it that?¿?¿ :redcard: Every other shop on the island accepts a copy of my passport as ID (showing my face, signature, inside leg measurement), but because it's not a notarised copy, they now cannot accept it as ID - so after a 10 minute wait in the queue (a general go slow today by the looks of it) and 10 minute wait whilst they took away my plastificated copy of my passport to ask whoever was in the office if it could be used as proof of ID, they said no we can't accept that, but could get it confirmed by this afternoon, whatever that meant.... (whilst waiting for them to come back with my passport copy, I even suggested they speak to a member of their staff who has known me for probably 10 years or more).

So in the end I left, with my shopping still dumpled on the checkout (which she obviously then had to remove from her till, apologies to the people behind me in the queue, but hopefully Iceland will realise the error of their ways, OR AT LEAST PUT A SIGN UP STATING THEIR NEW RULES AND REGULATIONS - DOH!!).......

Anyway, I went up to Mercadona to finish rest of my shopping (which unsurprisingly I paid for with my Clavecard and just showed plastificated copy of passport as ID ho hum) and wait for OH to pick me up, and as he turned up early, I sent him back down to Iceland, where he said the queues were still on a go slow, and he said some poor bloke with a big shop and a small child with him, was on the phone to his wife asking her to come to Iceland as he couldn't pay with his credit card as he didn't have the correct ID documentation either..... !!!!!! rolleyes2:

Ohhhh how I wish they never changed the Tarjeta de Residencia with photo, it would save so much hassle at times like this. I'm now going to check the internet to see how easy it is to get dual nationality or just change to Spanish (as i've been here 20 years now), then I can get an itsy bitsy DNI card :D

casabonny
20-01-2012, 16:06
This has happened before in the North.If you have a Chip and pin card it clearly states on the documentation sent with the cards that you are not required to identify yourself, however Spanish Law states that you do.
I assume that it was a relatively new member of staff who served you and was only doing as they were trained but maybe not.
It may also be that there have been a lot of thefts and robberies at Iceland and in the surrounding area and they are just being over cautious.I must say though that I shopped there last night and although I had my driving licence with me the person serving didnt look as she knew me anyway.:doh:
As credit card fraud and theft is rife at the moment i can understand their predicament , but having been in the same situation up North in Carrefour some time ago I fully understand your distress and annoyance.I have to say from my part in the North after some arguements and asking to speak with a supervisor next time it happened I had no problems and have not had since then.
I think if they insisit on this they may well find themselves with a few less customers , at least in the short term.

chifleta
20-01-2012, 16:16
LOL I said to the young lass straight away that I know it's not her fault and that obviously the bosses had decided to come up with this great idea, but it's always the cashier that has to deal with it, luckily for her i'm not one to start getting stroppy (anymore) and I don't let these things ruin my day (anymore either hehe) - though I did put my foot down when she asked if I minded if she could pass the next customers foodstuff through :) gotta make a small stance.

Hopefully they'll put a sign up, but I doubt it. Actually, you saying about thefts etc, but surely if you have a pin then no-one else will know it anyway, I said to the people at the till waiting, even my hubby doesn't know my pin, and the money comes out of the same account ... I agree, they'll only lose customers short term - my son is Spanglish, but LOVES English bread so I'll still pop in the once a week :) - anyways, hopefully this post will warn people, it'll save embarrassment more than anything else, made to stood there like a fool whilst waiting to see if I looked like some dodgy credit card thief :devil: which I obviously did, otherwise they would have let me pay HAHAHA

Suej
20-01-2012, 16:24
I use my driving licence as ID every where when shopping with my credit card (Chip and pin) but the cashiers just glance at it and give it back! Not once have I seen them study it long enough to see if I am in fact the bonafide card holder. I must just look honest!:devil2:

casabonny
20-01-2012, 16:29
I have been told that the "new" theft when paying by card is for the thief to stand behind you in the queue pretending to be on the phone talking whe in fact they are videoing you putting in your pin.Then viola thye have your pin, nick your purse and have a field day without you even knowing until you discover the theft , normally a while after.
Its happened in Iceland and around that area apparently so beware of that.If someones behind you usingg a phone, either refuse to put in your pin ar ask them to turn the opposite way .If they are genuine they will do it no problem.Not so bad where the machines have like a shield around them,Weall have to be far more vigilant these days , I am afraid.

Suej
20-01-2012, 16:33
I have been told that the "new" theft when paying by card is for the thief to stand behind you in the queue pretending to be on the phone talking whe in fact they are videoing you putting in your pin.Then viola thye have your pin, nick your purse and have a field day without you even knowing until you discover the theft , normally a while after.
Its happened in Iceland and around that area apparently so beware of that.If someones behind you usingg a phone, either refuse to put in your pin ar ask them to turn the opposite way .If they are genuine they will do it no problem.Not so bad where the machines have like a shield around them,Weall have to be far more vigilant these days , I am afraid.

I always put my hand over the screen to make spying as difficult as possible...then promptly enter the wrong pin number!:doh:

chifleta
20-01-2012, 16:43
I always shield the numbers with my hand too when i'm putting in the code .... all this technology huh, they need a thumbprint creditcard next, then we would just have to press our thumbs on a pad for ID :lol:

Tom & Sharon
20-01-2012, 18:22
This has happened before in the North.If you have a Chip and pin card it clearly states on the documentation sent with the cards that you are not required to identify yourself, however Spanish Law states that you do.
I assume that it was a relatively new member of staff who served you and was only doing as they were trained but maybe not.
It may also be that there have been a lot of thefts and robberies at Iceland and in the surrounding area and they are just being over cautious.I must say though that I shopped there last night and although I had my driving licence with me the person serving didnt look as she knew me anyway.:doh:
As credit card fraud and theft is rife at the moment i can understand their predicament , but having been in the same situation up North in Carrefour some time ago I fully understand your distress and annoyance.I have to say from my part in the North after some arguements and asking to speak with a supervisor next time it happened I had no problems and have not had since then.
I think if they insisit on this they may well find themselves with a few less customers , at least in the short term.

The chances are in Iceland it will always be a new member of staff who serves you.

From what I've seen and been told, they take new staff on all the time and dump them 4 weeks later. The "training" consists of a printed worksheet to take home and digest.

Every Monday there seem to be new lambs to the slaughter, smiling hard and trying their best, and you just know they won't be there 2 minutes.

Poor management + poor training = poor customer service.

Suej
20-01-2012, 18:27
I always shield the numbers with my hand too when i'm putting in the code .... all this technology huh, they need a thumbprint creditcard next, then we would just have to press our thumbs on a pad for ID :lol:

Then anyone could lift our thumbprint from the key and reproduce it! :laugh:

henry
20-01-2012, 18:47
I always shield the numbers with my hand too when i'm putting in the code .... all this technology huh, they need a thumbprint creditcard next, then we would just have to press our thumbs on a pad for ID :lol:they have this in america now. i don´t know the other states. but i know texas have it

cainaries
20-01-2012, 18:54
Chifleta - I completely and utterly agree with you about the change of residencia documents. Stupidly, we handed our old cards back in but a friend demanded to keep his and they clipped the corner and gave it back to him and certainly no-one is going to check the date! So, if anyone is reading this and their card is about to expire - ask to keep it!

OH is fine as he has photo ID on his driving licence so now the poor guy has to come with me for major purchases and if there is one thing he really hates it's shopping.

Just wondered if any banks do 'photo' cards - there was talk of it a while ago. I would happily sign up for one to solve my ID problems.

henry
20-01-2012, 19:08
or like me to pick up the nactional canary id card but in order to get one you have to be spanish!! 2206

9PLUS
20-01-2012, 19:44
copycopies of documents arn't legal a quick scan & photoshop is all i need to rip your ID off if it were

chifleta
20-01-2012, 20:09
copycopies of documents arn't legal a quick scan & photoshop is all i need to rip your ID off if it were

LOL you'd never get away with being female hahaha....... so basically do I need to get my backside down to a notary? to get the copy authorised officially? or do I do that at the police station.... I know I know, i've been here 20 years and haven't got a clue, what can I say, it's the old need to know basis, and i've never needed to know :)

Megaloo
20-01-2012, 21:20
Chifleta - I completely and utterly agree with you about the change of residencia documents. Stupidly, we handed our old cards back in but a friend demanded to keep his and they clipped the corner and gave it back to him and certainly no-one is going to check the date! So, if anyone is reading this and their card is about to expire - ask to keep it!

OH is fine as he has photo ID on his driving licence so now the poor guy has to come with me for major purchases and if there is one thing he really hates it's shopping.

Just wondered if any banks do 'photo' cards - there was talk of it a while ago. I would happily sign up for one to solve my ID problems.

A friend o mine kept his residentia and has been using it for the last two years out of date when suddenly this week in Al Campo they refused him and said it was out of date.

Because I had my driving license stolen when my purse was stolen, I had a photo=copy used it several times then again in AlCampo they queried it because it was a copy.

9PLUS
20-01-2012, 21:25
LOL you'd never get away with being female hahaha....... so basically do I need to get my backside down to a notary? to get the copy authorised officially? or do I do that at the police station.... I know I know, i've been here 20 years and haven't got a clue, what can I say, it's the old need to know basis, and i've never needed to know :)

You may well look female but i'd like you to prove it before we say fact

cheers

x

timmylish
20-01-2012, 21:58
When will the non-Spanish who go shopping in Spain realise that the only sure fired and LEGAL ID for the usage of cc,s is to have an original Passport/Driving Licence with photo or to have a copy of such a document duly notarised AND stamped accordingly. The stamp is embossed and is incapable of being illegally copied. We did this a week after having our old residencia,s taken from us and experiencing the "Iceland" problem!

chifleta
20-01-2012, 22:16
When will the non-Spanish who go shopping in Spain realise that the only sure fired and LEGAL ID for the usage of cc,s is to have an original Passport/Driving Licence with photo or to have a copy of such a document duly notarised AND stamped accordingly. The stamp is embossed and is incapable of being illegally copied. We did this a week after having our old residencia,s taken from us and experiencing the "Iceland" problem!

I've been using a non-notarised plastificated shrunken color photocopy of my passport as ID with my credit card since 2009.... today was the first time i've had a problem .... !!! go figure ... must have been my lucky day :crying2:

Ian_N
21-01-2012, 01:41
Yes well obviously times have changed ! I carry my passport for any checks buying stuff etc. They need to safeguard there business so why not ! If you cant be bothered, i think its better anyway as uk i can use my brothers card with no problem as they dont ask for pics as long as you have the pin.

cainaries
21-01-2012, 02:00
Yes well obviously times have changed ! I carry my passport for any checks buying stuff etc. They need to safeguard there business so why not ! If you cant be bothered, i think its better anyway as uk i can use my brothers card with no problem as they dont ask for pics as long as you have the pin.
Don't think I can use your brother's ID - though I'm prepared to give it a go!!:D

For the last 5 years I have had a photo ID Spanish residencia card which was treated by all shops as though I were Spanish and had Spanish ID. To save money these cards have been abolished and an A4 piece of paper with no photo is the replacement (I know you all know this but I just want to make it completely clear). This does NOT fit in my purse. It does NOT have a photo and is, to all intent and purposes, totally useless. For the last 6 weeks I have had to take my real UK passport with me. Which I don't want to do as that also does not fit in my purse. And can easily be stolen from my bag. Oh, how difficult is this to understand, really? I am perfectly happy to abide by Spanish law that I should carry my ID with me at all times but it would be awfully nice of them to provide the document for which I am perfectly happy to pay.

Rant almost almost over.

beerfan
21-01-2012, 02:34
What other types of document would be acceptable? Is there information online about this?

cainaries
21-01-2012, 02:43
What other types of document would be acceptable? Is there information online about this?
I suspect there is no hard and fast rule which is why chifleta had the problem in the first place. I produced my passport the other day in our local supermarket after 5 peaceful years of giving them my residencia and the girl looked at it seriously askance before finally accepting it so she clearly wouldn't have accepted a plasticated copy of it. Perhaps the answer is just to stop shopping, eating out, buying anything at all in fact. In places where they know us they accept the cards without any id at all but those are small shops - no supermarket will introduce such a policy, I suspect.

beerfan
21-01-2012, 02:46
I suspect there is no hard and fast rule which is why chifleta had the problem in the first place.

That's no way for paying customers to be treated. I know passports will be accepted everywhere but that isn't a practical or acceptable solution.

Is there not a Spanish version of Citizencard that could work?

cainaries
21-01-2012, 02:47
That's no way for paying customers to be treated. I know passports will be accepted everywhere but that isn't a practical or acceptable solution.

Is there not a Spanish version of Citizencard that could work?

There was - victim of the cuts .. sob sob. I shall ask around though.

doreen
21-01-2012, 02:54
The future is .... CASH :)

beerfan
21-01-2012, 02:57
There was - victim of the cuts .. sob sob. I shall ask around though.

No, I mean there must be variations on the ID theme that ordinary Spaniards would use to avoid losing their only form of ID/passport.

The future is .... CASH :)

It works extremely well for me. Can't fault it. ;)

cainaries
21-01-2012, 03:09
No, I mean there must be variations on the ID theme that ordinary Spaniards would use to avoid losing their only form of ID/passport.

It works extremely well for me. Can't fault it. ;)

The Spanish still have their photo ID national identity cards. The authorities have only withdrawn these for non-Spanish people so the Spanish haven't got a problem which is probably why the shops are even more 'chippy' (ha ha) with foreigners.

Our bank - Caja Canarias - only allows us to take out 600 euros a day. I would like to stress this is usually far more than we need - but not always!

beerfan
21-01-2012, 03:13
The Spanish still have their photo ID national identity cards.

I know the Spanish have their DNI but do they not keep alternatives handy too? It would be an awful shame if their DNI were to go missing and all...

...I'm so glad we had the NO2ID campaign in Britain.

cainaries
21-01-2012, 03:15
I know the Spanish have their DNI but do they not keep alternatives handy too? It would be an awful shame if their DNI were to go missing and all...

I don't think they do. I'm going to disagree with you on ID. It would be quite useful here at the moment!

Night!

beerfan
21-01-2012, 03:20
I don't think they do.

And what happens if their DNI goes missing? Absolute fools to a man, woman and child.

NO2ID was never about restricting voluntary, mutually-acceptable forms of ID; it was all about the ID scheme being foisted on a population which a) didn't want it and b) would have stored vast amounts of personal information, far more than even the Spanish system, and we didn't have the unfortunate luck of having a fascist ruling our country for several decades. It would have been enormously, tremendously intrusive. The entire reasoning for the ID scheme was thoroughly and totally debunked. Unfortunately, the Spine (the associated NHS database) remains.

I sympathise with your situation, though, definitely. :)

Night!

I don't need the fork sticking in me just yet. ;)

chifleta
21-01-2012, 12:56
Don't think I can use your brother's ID - though I'm prepared to give it a go!!:D

For the last 5 years I have had a photo ID Spanish residencia card which was treated by all shops as though I were Spanish and had Spanish ID. To save money these cards have been abolished and an A4 piece of paper with no photo is the replacement (I know you all know this but I just want to make it completely clear). This does NOT fit in my purse. It does NOT have a photo and is, to all intent and purposes, totally useless. For the last 6 weeks I have had to take my real UK passport with me. Which I don't want to do as that also does not fit in my purse. And can easily be stolen from my bag. Oh, how difficult is this to understand, really? I am perfectly happy to abide by Spanish law that I should carry my ID with me at all times but it would be awfully nice of them to provide the document for which I am perfectly happy to pay.

Rant almost almost over.

Rant most appreciated and couldn't have been typed better :thanx::lol:

So, still not sure whether I need to go to police station or a notary to get my photocopy of passport officially stamped... anyone know the answer before I start making phone calls? :wink2:

Added after 5 minutes:

My son carries a plastificated colour photocopy of his DNI (he's Spanish) with him, but he has been told that he needs to get that stamped officially too.... sigh, another thing for the "things to do list", nice visit to police station/notary?¿! .... my other half is Spanish and even he couldn't remember the proper name for getting the copy "authorised/legalised", which reminds me, must wind him up about that when he gets home hehehehe :-D

louisecox
21-01-2012, 13:32
You can get them done in the notary, can remember the Spanish woed for it now, will come to me in a bit, I had to get the kids done for something.

cainaries
21-01-2012, 14:09
Chifleta - apparently what we should have done (always so nice of people to tell us AFTER the event) was to ask the guy who issued us with the new A4 residencia to give us about 6 certificated copies there and then in the Foreigners Department of the Police Station. So ... keep the old residencia card with the corner clipped and ask for about 6 certificated copies of the document. Even though those will still be A4 and won't have a photo on them.

Pass the aspirin someone please.

bonitatime
21-01-2012, 15:19

Rant almost almost over.

You are seriously mistaken a group of British residents in the Alicante area took the Spanish government to the Europeans courts as they didnt want to have a Spanish ID card and it was contract to Europeans legislation
As for Checking I never check the photo I fix on two of the names and then check them with the card so although it is quick I am sure that the names match.

chifleta
21-01-2012, 15:47
LOL Cainaries... my other half still can't remember what it's called (officialising the document), but i'm going to call a notary on Monday and find out how much it costs, so i'll let you all know :) - he's trying to wind me up now saying it'll cost about 80€ so i'll just say to him "ok cariño give me the money and i'll go get it done" and any monies left over will get me some new clothes :lol:

timmylish
21-01-2012, 15:59
Notarising our documents signature is 6€,s. I think that this is a standard, official price allowed. Remember its only a signature which I am referring to. I really don,t see people,s problem here. As I said earlier get your passport, showing photo of course, copied and have that copy duly notarisied and fold this notarised copy passport into a shape which will fit purse, wallet etc.

chifleta
21-01-2012, 16:23
Notarising our documents signature is 6€,s. I think that this is a standard, official price allowed. Remember its only a signature which I am referring to. I really don,t see people,s problem here. As I said earlier get your passport, showing photo of course, copied and have that copy duly notarisied and fold this notarised copy passport into a shape which will fit purse, wallet etc.

shhhhhh don't tell my OH that, he's convinced it's 80€ now............. it's not a problem timmylish, it's just a pain in the :bootyshake: having to go to a notary or wherever to sort it out when for years my copy was fine, and still is in Mercadona e.g. and other shops i've been too recently. At the end of the day, there were obviously other people with same problem in Iceland the other day and the cashier girls said that the new rule only started on Monday and obviously I wasn't the only one that had to leave the shopping. So now, like a good girl, I will follow your orders :bowdown: take anotherrrrr photocopy and go on the bus to Americas and try get it sorted (but OH is going to ask the Guardia Civil on Monday at work to see if they can do it! so watch this space, and fingers crossed at saving me a journey and a waste of my important time :goodluck:)

9PLUS
21-01-2012, 19:02
lol cainaries... My other half still can't remember what it's called (officialising the document), :lol:

compulsado......

chifleta
21-01-2012, 19:56
compulsado......

thankssssssssssss hahahaha ..... OH just said "compulsado!!, si ya te lo dijo antes" .................he's such a LIARRRR hahahahaha ..... thanks 9PLUS

chifleta
08-03-2012, 23:27
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sooooooo, I was in Iceland in Chafiras today with OH, had to drag him along as I haven't sorted my compulsado passport thingy yet..... so he says he's paying with credit card, and the lovely lady (I should have got her name as she had a great sense of humour... such a nice change to see someone cheerful in there) said to OH "is it chip and pin" and he said "just pin", so she said "oh i'll need to see ID then please" and I said "do you mean you've changed back again so that we don't have to show original ID for chip and pin" and she basically said yes, they've changed it back again.... WOOP WOOP, saves me a trip to the Notary for the time being... and yessssss I know I will have to go eventually, but my time is so precious to be wasting it on a trip to the Notaries :whistle:

btw the Notary office said about 3€ 3.50€ to compulsar documents :) I did go, because I had a dentist appointment next door, but didn't have my passport with me (I never do unless i'm going on a plane) ughhh

Zara
09-03-2012, 00:45
I went to Iceland in Los Cris this evening and paid on my credit card, the guy handed over his machine for me to add my PIN number and I said do you want some ID, (which was in my handbag), he shook his head, took payment and gave me my bill and card back. Maybe it was the way I smiled at him :whistle:

macdonald5
09-03-2012, 08:28
I went to Iceland in Los Cris this evening and paid on my credit card, the guy handed over his machine for me to add my PIN number and I said do you want some ID, (which was in my handbag), he shook his head, took payment and gave me my bill and card back. Maybe it was the way I smiled at him :whistle:

Hi Zara

Is this not similar if I go ti Iceland here ? Would expect only to hand over credit card , enter pin number and no other I'd needed

Kind regards

Zara
09-03-2012, 09:31
Until recently despite entering a PIN number we have had to also show ID when using a credit card in 99.9% of places unless the assistant actually knew you personally. Earlier in the day I had been to Carrefour and paid with the same card but had to show ID. The point of my post was that as the OP said Iceland was asking for passports as ID if using a credit card, they now seem to have done a total U-turn and don´t require anything. Perhaps they are catching up with the UK.

chifleta
09-03-2012, 14:07
Until recently despite entering a PIN number we have had to also show ID when using a credit card in 99.9% of places unless the assistant actually knew you personally. Earlier in the day I had been to Carrefour and paid with the same card but had to show ID. The point of my post was that as the OP said Iceland was asking for passports as ID if using a credit card, they now seem to have done a total U-turn and don´t require anything. Perhaps they are catching up with the UK.

lol no, nothing to do with catching up with the UK. Iceland (Chafiras) made the rule "original ID only or passport copy compulsado only" a few weeks ago, but probably had loadddds of clients who just left their shopping on the counter like me when said client found out that they couldn't pay with their credit card because they didn't have either original passport or officially stamped photocopy, just a normal reduced plastificated copy of passport like me ..... or maybe the Iceland bosses read this thread :D:c2:eek2::lol::raspberry2: and decided the client is actually usually right :) hehehe