PDA

View Full Version : Internet and Web Services ADSL Prices Just Got Better

Harlequin
13-12-2011, 10:54
Most people will not be aware of this so I thought I'd open a thread on the subject but it is actually possible to calculate your theoretical ADSL speed based on any of the following values:

Distance from the exchange
Line voltage
Signal Noise Ratio (SNR)

The first one is pretty obvious, the further away you are the less likely you are to attain the maximum throughput. Let's say for example that the maximum throughput is just 8 Mbit/s (that's Mega Bits, not bytes) and that you are 3 Km away from the exchange then I would expect that you should receive around 4 Mbit/s. However, other factors come into play such as Line Attenuation. This is a value that basically refers to the "quality" of the line (among other things).

Testing prospective throughput based on line voltage is by no means the best way of ascertaining what speed you might get but it will give you an idea and I've used this method back in the UK and here for a number of years both on lines with active ADSL and without and in the majority of cases I'm usually within 10% of my guestimated value when an ADSL connection goes live.

SNR is probably the most reliable way of ascertaining what speed you should have. For example, if you are on an 8 Mbit/s line with a attainable throughput of say 15 Mbit/s but have a SNR value of 35 dB then you are about 2.5 Km away from the exchange and are likely to get 3.7 Mbit/s ADSL speed.

These figures are by no means hard and fast. Any number of variables can have an effect on your actual speed but I thought I'd post them up for your information all the same...

tonypub
13-12-2011, 11:11
http://www.speedtest.net/

gazza
15-12-2011, 09:27
http://speedtest.comodo.com/
This one also checks your firewall

Harlequin
15-12-2011, 09:35
Neither of the above will give an idea of prospective speed if you do not have ADSL but nevertheless they're good tools.

Harlequin
27-12-2011, 10:49
Hi

We're currently working with and looking for agents throughout the south of Tenerife.

Ideally you'll need a retail outlet. However, inividuals with the right motivation and sales inclination may also be able to do this.

If you'd like more information simply review our website page on how to Become an Agent (http://www.tenerifetelecom.com/en/my-tenerife-telecom/become-an-agent) and get in touch through the website if you'd like more details.

Harlequin
10-01-2012, 13:39
Hi

For those of you interested we have a meeting scheduled for next week to discuss the launch of WiMAX services here in Tenerife.

I have coverage maps and provisional pricing and will release these through our website once I have more information for you.

I just wanted to start a thread on the subject and perhaps guage prospective interest and geographical spread.

Ken Henderson
10-01-2012, 14:34
I will certainly be interested (as a consumer) if you are able to offer a system with a performance no worse than current ADSL offerings, along with lower costs.

I make my living (in Ireland and the UK) assisting large corporates specify, design and install all flavours of point to point and point to multipoint private wireless data networks in every part of the radio spectrum. I have never had a problem constructing business cases to support investment in wireless network infrastructure in this marketplace, but I can appreciate the "challenges" you must be facing when trying to develop a public service offering for Tenerife.

Best of luck, keep us informed.

Harlequin
20-01-2012, 22:03
Hi all.

I thought you might like to be among the first to learn about the new ADSL pricing. No need to ask, it's in my signature...!

Feel free to comment either directly through the website or here...

bonitatime
20-01-2012, 23:19
Can you link for those of us with tap talk

Andy0210
21-01-2012, 01:01
Does the 30€ a month include the ADSL and the 30 English channels or is that ADSL charge plus the TV charge????

Harlequin
21-01-2012, 09:16
Hi Andy

I think you're referring to the standard price of IPTV @ 30€, no...?

Right now and until the end of January it's just 25 Euros and it's sold seperately so it doesn't include any telephony or ADSL services so you can add it to your existing telecoms package if you like.

If you want Telephone + ADSL + IPTV then the best package acailavle would be the Home Pack ADSL + IPTV.

Harlequin
21-01-2012, 13:57
Afternoon all.

I'm in the middle of writing up content for this service on our website and as pricing is available I thought I'd let you all have a smeak preview...

Tenerife Telecom WiMAX (http://www.tenerifetelecom.com/en/wimax/tenerife-telecom-wimax)

I'm sure you'll have questions so please feel free to post them here or contact me through the website.

Pricing is fixed but additional services have not yet been defined so the page you view may change when it goes live.

atlantico
21-01-2012, 14:32
Harlequin does the Full Pack 1 Bill at €47,90 utilize phonecalls via voip/skype etc or via landline

Harlequin
21-01-2012, 14:50
The Full Pack - 1 Bill uses an analogue phone, a normal phone. The calls for local and national are routed over standard lines and the international calls over VoIP.

I use the system to call Spain, UK, Ireland, Portugal and the US and the call quality's fine.

atlantico
21-01-2012, 15:28
Thanks, so since most of our calls are International, and we have a Voip phone anyway, best to stick to the Home Pack €39,90 ?? saves €8 on calls we don't make !

Harlequin
21-01-2012, 18:01
I'd agree. Most people are going for this package.

atlantico
21-01-2012, 19:38
Good ! But I can't find the discount code for Tenerife Forum Members to get it cheaper !! lol

Greg
22-01-2012, 00:48
8Mbps/1Mbps 165 €........... is this for a year?????

Harlequin
25-01-2012, 00:34
Hi all.

Just a quick mail to let you know that I now have access to our own ADSL availability checker.

So, if you have a number and are curious if ADSL is actually available just get in touch (ideally through the website) and find out if you have availability.

atlantico
25-01-2012, 11:23
ah ! so not online, on your website then ?

Harlequin
25-01-2012, 11:31
Website = online, no...?

I'll be meeting with the directors in a wek or so and we may make it public but it will have to be super secure.

Right now I have access to a system that can check the network for availability but it's only available to myself and a few others in the mainland.

Harlequin
14-02-2012, 18:26
From tomorrow and each Wednesday between 3 and 5 pm I will be available at our offices in Golf del Sur to answer any questions regarding Telecoms, connectivity, billing or anything else you would like to discuss related to Telecoms in general.

This is a free service we are offering to both domestic and business users to help improve the level of telecoms available not just in Tenerife but throughout the Canary islands.

Feel free to pop along and have a chat...

Harlequin
26-02-2012, 23:14
Hi all.

Just to let you know that we have just launched our worldwide number service which basically allows you to connect any number in just about any country in the world (we currenty have about 50+ countries listed) to any spanish land line or number you choose.

Please note: The 0843 service is still free to forum members but don't order through the website if you want one. Mail me and I'll set it up for you for free.

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 23:57
can you tell me more about this? how much? what is the o843 stuff?