PDA

View Full Version : Where´s the Spell Check on the Forum please?!

Suej
23-01-2012, 15:42
Am I going mad or did we used to have spell check on the Forum, I´m not the best of spellers and I´d like it back if possible! Maybe I´m just missing where it is! :thanx:

Malteser Monkey
23-01-2012, 16:01
I'm here - what would you like to cheque ooops check:D

BobMac
23-01-2012, 16:23
Am I going mad or did we used to have spell check on the Forum, I´m not the best of spellers and I´d like it back if possible! Maybe I´m just missing where it is! :thanx:

Hi Sue

I'm not sure but I don't think the spell checker was actually on the forum, I suspect that it was built into your web browser.

I've just checked on the old forum and I can't find a spell checker on there

Cheers

Malteser Monkey
23-01-2012, 16:32
I think there is one on Safari browser

BobMac
23-01-2012, 16:52
I think there is one on Safari browser

There's one in Firefox & Google Chrome as well

Malteser Monkey
23-01-2012, 16:54
There's one in Firefox & Google Chrome as well

really can't see it here I'm on Goog Chrome

Can you tell me where (not that I need it mind you:whistle:)

BobMac
23-01-2012, 17:05
really can't see it here I'm on Goog Chrome

Can you tell me where (not that I need it mind you:whistle:)

Click on the Spanner Icon in the top right hand corner, Select Options, Select Under The Hood where you will see Web Content section. In that section select Language and Spellchecker Settings and then set up your options and tick the box to enable Spellchecker

Goforgold
23-01-2012, 17:11

I don't remember a spell checker Suej - could do with one though!! :)

Click on the Spanner Icon in the top right hand corner, Select Options, Select Under The Hood where you will see Web Content section. In that section select Language and Spellchecker Settings and then set up your options and tick the box to enable Spellchecker

Thanks BobMac but do you know how to get one for Mozilla ? :)

BobMac
23-01-2012, 17:15
I don't remember a spell checker Suej - could do with one though!! :)

Thanks BobMac but do you know how to get one for Mozilla ? :)

Have a look here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/spell-checker/)

There's a Plug-In which does it

Vortex Wake
23-01-2012, 17:19
This is the one I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary/?src=search

BobMac
23-01-2012, 17:24
This is the one I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary/?src=search

I think there are several of these kicking around

beerfan
23-01-2012, 17:35
Oh, just one other thing Suej if you want a bit more pernicketiness: in your thread title you used an acute accent (´) rather than using the correct apostrophe mark (') instead. :)

Happy to be of service. :)

Suej
23-01-2012, 17:39
I remember when using the old Forum words not spelt correctly would automatically be corrected! I did use Chrome then but now use Firefox! I´ll go check now! Thanks everyone!

Added after 4 minutes:

Oh, just one other thing Suej if you want a bit more pernicketiness: in your thread title you used an acute accent (´) rather than using the correct apostrophe mark (') instead. :)

Happy to be of service. :)

Now that's a new one on me! have I just used the correct apostrophe? that will be a hard habit to break now!:ashamed:

beerfan
23-01-2012, 17:47
Now that's a new one on me! have I just used the correct apostrophe? that will be a hard habit to break now!:ashamed:

Looks fine to me. Do you use a regular Windows or Mac keyboard? Shouldn't be particularly difficult to adopt a new pattern in that case. If you want, you can even change how the keyboard functions so that when you type the acute accent key you get an apostrophe instead. :)

Suej
23-01-2012, 17:55
I´ve just added a spell checker! there is a green tick in the toolbar but it´s not highlighting any mistakes and I jhust deliberately made one???

Added after 2 minutes:

Looks fine to me. Do you use a regular Windows or Mac keyboard? Shouldn't be particularly difficult to adopt a new pattern in that case. If you want, you can even change how the keyboard functions so that when you type the acute accent key you get an apostrophe instead. :)

How do I do that then please! I know I will keep forgetting to use the correct symbol! the Apostrophe is on the same key as the question mark...I have a Spanish keyboard.

Goforgold
23-01-2012, 18:14
Testing Testing Test*ing!

Nope!! Nothing happened, I clicked on the link put the add on, on closed Mozilla opened it again, but it didn't check a thing. I must be doing something wrong :(

Suej
23-01-2012, 18:17
Testing Testing Test*ing!

Nope!! Nothing happened it didn't check a thing. I must be doing something wrong :(

Didn´t work for me either...there must be an easier way of checking spelling! :doh: Oh! and I did restart Firefox before trying it! ;)

beerfan
23-01-2012, 18:22
How do I do that then please! I know I will keep forgetting to use the correct symbol! the Apostrophe is on the same key as the question mark...I have a Spanish keyboard.

What operating system do you use?

BobMac
23-01-2012, 18:31
Didn´t work for me either...there must be an easier way of checking spelling! :doh: Oh! and I did restart Firefox before trying it! ;)

I've just downloaded and installed Firefox - version 9.01 and Spellchecker seems to be integrated into it.

You go to Tools, Options, Advanced and there is an option box to enable Check My Spelling As I Type

Suej
23-01-2012, 18:35
I've just downloaded and installed Firefox - version 9.01 and Spellchecker seems to be integrated into it.

You go to Tools, Options, Advanced and there is an option box to enable Check My Spelling As I Type

Yes, just checked that Bob and it was ticked but doesn´t appear to work on the Forum? Hmmm! I´ll check I'm updated to latest version of Firefox!

Just checked and I have 9.01 version too!

Added after 9 minutes:

What operating system do you use?

Windows 7....

Goforgold
23-01-2012, 18:52

Hi BobMac, I've just downloaded the latest version gone into Tools, Options, Advanced but can't find anything about checking spelling :(

In my Advanced is View Certificates, Revocation List, Validation, and something else, can't read my own writing after jotting it down!!! :)

Suej
23-01-2012, 18:55

WooooHooo! this works!!!

Added after 5 minutes:

Hi BobMac, I've just downloaded the latest version gone into Tools, Options, Advanced but can't find anything about checking spelling :(

In my Advanced is View Certificates, Revocation List, Validation, and something else, can't read my own writing after jotting it down!!! :)

Go Advanced> General> Browsing:spin:> correct my spelling as I type (tick)

Goforgold
23-01-2012, 19:02
Testing tessting, tessting

Well everything is ticked, it shows as a wiggle under the misspelt word, but doesn't change it!! :(

Added after 5 minutes:

tetting teethering toving - Well, I've justed downloaded Vortex Wake's and still doesn't change as I'm typing :(

Added after 5 minutes:

tetheriing toppping tippping - nope still doesn't work!!! :(

Added after 4 minutes:

WooooHooo! this works!!!

Added after 5 minutes:

Go Advanced> General> Browsing:spin:> correct my spelling as I type (tick)

As mentioned I downloaded VW's and that box is ticked. I've even gone logged back into The Forum rather than getting in via a Notification - blady nada!!! :(

beerfan
23-01-2012, 19:22
Windows 7....

Here you go - SharpKeys (http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/).

Suej
23-01-2012, 19:34
Testing tessting, tessting

Well everything is ticked, it shows as a wiggle under the misspelt word, but doesn't change it!! :(

Added after 5 minutes:

tetting teethering toving - Well, I've justed downloaded Vortex Wake's and still doesn't change as I'm typing :(

Added after 5 minutes:

tetheriing toppping tippping - nope still doesn't work!!! :(

Added after 4 minutes:

As mentioned I downloaded VW's and that box is ticked. I've even gone logged back into The Forum rather than getting in via a Notification - blady nada!!! :(

If you right click on the underlined word it will give you different suggestions of the word you might be trying to type! (spell correctly);)

Added after 5 minutes:

Here you go - SharpKeys (http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/).

I'm going to try and retrain myself to press the correct symbol! if that fails I'll try the sharpKey link! Thank you soooo much!!!:thanx:

Goforgold
23-01-2012, 19:41
If you right click on the underlined word it will give you different options of the word you might be trying to type! (spell correctly);)

I didn't know I had to do that !!!....:dontknow:

Thank you Suej, for that :c2: - I can now go and sit down on the settee and finish off my cuppa :)

Suej
23-01-2012, 19:42
I didn't know I had to do that !!!....:dontknow:

Thank you Suej, for that :c2: - I can now go and sit down on the settee and finish off my cuppa :)

If left click fails always try a right click!!! that's my motto!!!:lol:

Carol55
23-01-2012, 20:40
I use iespell, when down loaded, to use it just click on "Tools" and there it is, with the option of using several "look up meaning" options.

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 11:10
Bob I have tried it and it doesn't work also it is English US not UK - that's about as useful as a scottish version:raspberry2::D

(come in Ecks and John)

Ecky Thump
24-01-2012, 12:05
Bob I have tried it and it doesn't work also it is English US not UK - that's about as useful as a scottish version:raspberry2::D

(come in Ecks and John)

The Scottish vocabulary is a thing of beauty and understood throughout Glasgow and even as far afield as Lesmahagow, Tighnabruaich and even Ballachulish!

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 12:08
The Scottish vocabulary is a thing of beauty and understood throughout Glasgow and even as far afield as Lesmahagow, Tighnabruaich and even Ballachulish!

I will have to take your word for that Ecks and thanks:D

Santiago
24-01-2012, 14:44
Hi MM. In order to get the English spelling go to the little spanner on the top right and click. Down near the bottom click on "Options". On the left hand column of Options click on "Under the Bonnet". In the right hand column go down to "Web Content". Click on "Languages and Spellchecker settings". The next screen will probably show, in the Languages column, English (United States), English, English (United Kingdom). To be absolutely sure that you get the correct English, place your curser over the English US one and you will see a little cross. Click on the cross and it will take out that language. Then, to be certain, click on add, and on the displayed list click on English (United Kingdom). This will now be your language for spell checking. Good luck!

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 15:03
Thanks Santiago I tried that but there is no cross in the US one I have added English and English UK but it says cannot use these

weird !

cainaries
24-01-2012, 15:12
I've been living with US English on here since my American friend managed to revive this once-dead laptop. When I get a red squiggle under a word like licence, I just keep going. I do get stumped on other words though. I'll just have to hope you all know roughly what I mean. I wanted to write the word resuscitate ... ah, now perhaps I have it, I'd left out a syllable.

Hasn't your 'puter got a Welsh button, Monkey?

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 15:17
I've been living with US English on here since my American friend managed to revive this once-dead laptop. When I get a red squiggle under a word like licence, I just keep going. I do get stumped on other words though. I'll just have to hope you all know roughly what I mean. I wanted to write the word resuscitate ... ah, now perhaps I have it, I'd left out a syllable.

Oh hello here comes the expert:D

Blimey if it had a Welsh button we would be in trouble :doh:

are you well dear ?

Santiago
24-01-2012, 15:18
Thanks Santiago I tried that but there is no cross in the US one I have added English and English UK but it says cannot use these

weird !

Have you tried clicking on the English UK on first and then going Add find English UK on the list and click then try clicking on English US and the little cross should come up. I've tried it every which way and it does seem to work.

Hi Cainaries, whatever you write we understand it - phonetics work right every time! :lol:

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 15:42
Hi Cainaries, whatever you write we understand it - phonetics work right every time! :lol:

Yeah totally comprehensive up til 6pm then it's all down hill:whistle::D

Added after 2 minutes:

Have you tried clicking on the English UK on first and then going Add find English UK on the list and click then try clicking on English US and the little cross should come up. I've tried it every which way and it does seem to work.

Tampoco chica ! tried everything must be work -will try when I get home see if it's different I bet it is

Thanks tho

Santiago
24-01-2012, 16:06
Yeah totally comprehensive up til 6pm then it's all down hill:whistle::D

Added after 2 minutes:

Tampoco chica ! tried everything must be work -will try when I get home see if it's different I bet it is

Thanks tho

Sorry, wish it had worked! :doh:

BobMac
24-01-2012, 16:10

(come in Ecks and John)

That's how the Settings in Google Chrome on my PC are set with English(UK) (can be added if it's not already loaded) at the top of the list with English(US) and English under it; if that doesn't work, I'm puzzled because it's working for me.

cainaries
24-01-2012, 16:36
Oh hello here comes the expert:D

Blimey if it had a Welsh button we would be in trouble :doh:

are you well dear ?

You've not got a Welsh button in Wales? I should complain immediately.

Yes, fine, here, ta. Been doing some cleaning....sigh.:mopping::washingmachine:

Malteser Monkey
24-01-2012, 17:35
Hey I don't need confusing any further mujer !

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2012, 14:19
ok am trying this from home, already it has underlined ok so if I tipe a word incorrectly

Yes it works !!! so it must be summit at work:D

Now under the spanner and options English UK is the default setting - no need to do anything

How did everyone else get on

Santiago
25-01-2012, 14:48
ok am trying this from home, already it has underlined ok so if I tipe a word incorrectly

Now under the spanner and options English UK is the default setting - no need to do anything

Well done MM, it's always easy when you know how!!

Suej
25-01-2012, 16:05

My spell check is working fine on Firefox MM! I used Vortex Wake's link the other one did not work as it would not let me choose a dictionary! I'm not a diabolical speller(I hope)but I must say sometimes I type a word and for some reason it doesn't look right!

Goforgold
25-01-2012, 16:37
My spell check is working fine on Firefox MM! I used Vortex Wake's link the other one did not work as it would not let me choose a dictionary! I'm not a diabolical speller(I hope)but I must say sometimes I type a word and for some reason it doesn't look right!

Me too and after Suej told me to click right on the squiggle, I was in business!! ;)

Malteser Monkey
26-01-2012, 09:39
Well done MM, it's always easy when you know how!!

Yes but back in work now - and it doesn't work :confused: nevermind