PDA

View Full Version : Employment Job description v pay

cheery
24-01-2012, 18:55
There seem to be lots of jobs advertised for Chef/cook. What people really mean is they want a chef but are only willing to pay for a cook. In my opinion there is a world of difference. Cooks tend to reheat or assemble a few items whereas a chef creates menus.

Or am I wrong?

caroletenerife
24-01-2012, 19:27
Your right, there is a big difference between a cook and a chef. I have known great chefs, but I have also known cooks who are better 'chefs' than chefs. Perhaps you are comparing the Uk with here. A reputable head chef would run the entire kitchen and everything that that entails, with a salary to match the responsibility. Maybe over here that would apply to big hotels and fancy restaurants. I doubt that many pubs that advertise for a 'chef' in Tenerife would expect someone of an actual head chefs caliber to apply for the position.

garlicbread
24-01-2012, 22:48
Slightly off topic but in my 10 years living in Tenerife I can count the number of restaurants I have eaten in where they employ a CHEF (or at least a damn good cook) on two hands, the rest seem to employ people who only know how to use a microwave or a BBQ. I could be wrong so if anyone knows of restaurant(s), particularly in the south, who they consider employ a chef(s), would you name them on here.

YOUNG GOLFER
25-01-2012, 02:23
Mc Donalds:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

9PLUS
25-01-2012, 07:54
I Know a little Chef that did very well in the restaurant trade some years back

cheers

x