PDA

View Full Version : Other Even if local, watch out for your bag and wallet, thieves about. theaves

poker
24-01-2012, 21:28
This morning Ms. Poker went to las Galettas on foot from home Costa del Silencio .

Under the Tenbel tower 4 younsters (13 to 15 years ) walkt right to her and split up , 2 left and 2 right , she understood it was not normal and yes one grabd her bag .
She had her mobile in the other hand and hited him on the head abouve the eye with it .

Luckely the security guard of Primavera(tenbel)saw it and came .
Immedeatly the boy screamd and yelled shes trying to rob my wallet in Spanish !
My wife give hinm another hit this time with her heavy bag on the head .
And yelled back in spanish .

Becouse of the securirty guard arround they very qiuckly ran away on 2 seperate ways .
And the one with the hit on the head yelled B>>TCH I will find you .........

The security guard was in no mood reporting it to police he probably knows it and does not need molesting by them also ..........

And my wife did not report it also as they already were gone immediatly in different directions .......
Who to report ?

This was at 10 AM in the morning !

Probably becouse there is more patrolling in eavening and night now from police and they have less chance then ?

Anyway its organised and as they are minors and cant get arrested anyway , or more difficult by police .

Just be vigilent , even in day time when walking , seartainly if alone .

Ms. poker came home and drank few glasses today from scare .
Luckely nothing happend and hopefully they boy thief has a headake this eavening . )

Be carefull ...........

Simon-M
24-01-2012, 21:47
Good on Mrs Poker. It's a shame that mobile phones have reduced in size. Hitting the tike with one of those mobiles attached to a car battery would of made all the difference.

caroletenerife
24-01-2012, 22:12
I hope your wife is over the shock Poker, an incident like this can really dent someones self confidence. Does anyone know what legal deterrents there are i.e pepper spray. I always have my set of keys in my pocket just in case, and i'm lucky enough to have a dog that looks like she doesn't take prisoners. I would love to have a tazer, but i suspect I'm not allowed.

BoPeep
24-01-2012, 22:35
My she's game!!!!!

Good on her!

Hope she's feeling ok now and getting over the initial shock of it all, poor thing.

Skeggy
25-01-2012, 09:31
Hi Poker, we do hope that your lovely lady has got over the shock, such scumbags they will get their comeuppance and I hope many more good hidings.
Give your wife our regards and tell her how we admire her courage.
Skeggy and Gill.

cjd01
25-01-2012, 11:09
Hi Poker
I hope your wife is ok? Good for her! I hope he's got a huge headache - I wonder what lie he came up with to tell his parents why he's got a huge bruise!

tizzywizzy
25-01-2012, 17:44
glad to hear mrs P is ok.. Hope the person has a very sore head.

Zara
25-01-2012, 18:00
Glad Mrs P is OK she was very brave lashing out. Similar incident at the car boot at Guaza on Sunday so people should be very careful and not let their guard down. Not easy I'm afraid especially when you know an area is usually safe.

blondie
03-02-2012, 15:32
Its a shame but now I feel I cant trust anyone now.I was mugged while having a conversation with the mugger, can you believe that? Yes he was very friendly, showing me a flyer for a flamenco show for Paradise Park , we politely refused at the same time he got into mybag and made off with my purse and 200 euros.I still feel stupid that I took this rat at face value but its the feeling of suspicion I have of everyone now which I hate most and I despise him for that.

poker
03-02-2012, 16:17
Yes blondie its a shame they are really getting very bold in stealing from peaple .
Hopefully you did not lose to mutch paperwork also as its also lots of troubble to reneuw driverslicence , pasport or other papers lost .

Everybody out there be vigilent .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Frankiebabe
03-02-2012, 16:53
Can I please just give some sensilbe advice......Never take bags with passports/credit cards and cash in them....Just take enough cash out and put in your bra or similiar and the guys.....never take your wallet containing same....just take enough for day or night in a secure inner pocket or somewhere safe on your person........

dede
05-02-2012, 11:59
Glad Mrs poker came out of it ok, and i would like to give people round the golf area a word of warning as well, an 82 year old friend of mine was robbed on Friday while waiting to pick up her friend by two lads who asked her did she know where this beach was? they had a map in their hands so being unaware that it was a con she got out of her car to help them and while she did one of them took her purse out of her bag with her shopping money in it, she didnt even know until ten minutes later when she got a phone call on her mobile to say someone had found her purse obviously with nothing in it. she is a very observant lady and has a full description of them , they are about 20 years of age and spoke Spanish but one of them told her that his friend spoke English as well but when he spoke English to her it was without a Spanish accent so she says that they were defiantly English, she also knows it was a white car and has part of the reg plate. All has been reported to the police who apparently are aware of them, they are targeting bus stops around the golf area so please be aware!!!

blondie
08-02-2012, 17:03
what on earth is happening in Tenerife at the moment.I sung the praises of Tenerife and sent friends on a holiday last week for them to be robbed as we were afew months ago. Its all we hear about now , if its not in hotels and apts its on the streets on in bars, its impossible to be vigilant at all times,there would be no point in going if that is on your mind 24 hrs, somethinghas to bedone or folk will just stop coming.

princessmonika
08-02-2012, 18:00
not just in tenerife -- you have to watch your bags everywhere in the world--

caroletenerife
08-02-2012, 18:32
Can I please just give some sensilbe advice......Never take bags with passports/credit cards and cash in them....Just take enough cash out and put in your bra or similiar and the guys.....never take your wallet containing same....just take enough for day or night in a secure inner pocket or somewhere safe on your person........

I hope people take your advice...a couple of months ago I found a wallet down the road from the shop, full of cards AND 1000 euros!!!!!!!, I was calling his hotel (who incidently were not interested in finding him for me..Laguna 2) when i spotted a very grey worried looking man searching the street...I gave him such a lecture, i couldnt believe he had taken his entire holiday money to have breakfast. (at least the dogs got a 20euro donation:D), then yesterday the volunteers at the Los Cris shop found a wallet outside, no money obviously but all documents inside, very lucky tourists to get it back...please dont take important documents and lots of cash out with you.

doreen
08-02-2012, 18:37
what on earth is happening in Tenerife at the moment.I sung the praises of Tenerife and sent friends on a holiday last week for them to be robbed as we were afew months ago. Its all we hear about now , if its not in hotels and apts its on the streets on in bars, its impossible to be vigilant at all times,there would be no point in going if that is on your mind 24 hrs, somethinghas to bedone or folk will just stop coming.

Sad but true fact of life .. it can happen anywhere. Had a purse stolen from my bag on a bus in London many a year ago: didn't stop me visiting, just made me more careful :)

astara
08-02-2012, 19:16
I hope people take your advice...a couple of months ago I found a wallet down the road from the shop, full of cards AND 1000 euros!!!!!!!, I was calling his hotel (who incidently were not interested in finding him for me..Laguna 2) when i spotted a very grey worried looking man searching the street...I gave him such a lecture, i couldnt believe he had taken his entire holiday money to have breakfast. (at least the dogs got a 20euro donation:D), then yesterday the volunteers at the Los Cris shop found a wallet outside, no money obviously but all documents inside, very lucky tourists to get it back...please dont take important documents and lots of cash out with you.

I can agree, having served the robbers at los cris charity shop, we then found the purse hidden under some clothes. *' a colleague recognized it as the same purse they had paid from. Not only the ladies belgium i.d. card, medical ins card, home address and 8 visa & bank cards, but upon looking for a possible telephone no. i tipped it out, to reveal a pin no. for one of the cards!!!!!!!!
Lucky lady that the thieves didnt go through it with a fine tooth comb, her bank account could have been seriously less.
We phoned belgium consul, who notifed the local police, ^ took the wallet to the los cris police station. When i attempted to give a description of the 3 german travellers, who were quite distinctive, he just took the purse & waved me away.
Be on your guard people these three were two white german males, massive rucksacks, 1 tall/thin part shaved head part platted, aged 25 / 30, 2nd mid 40,s smaller, swarthy looking,bought a *big black suitcase* 1 female 40 / 50 white, but very weather beaten, all scruffily dressed. all German origin...
hope the lady gets her documents back from the police as we certainly tried..

timmylish
09-02-2012, 03:17

Sorry but your statement is complete and absolute tosh! Whilst there is no doubt that in certain areas (most notably the Golf, parts of PDLA and of course LC) in the South of the Island theft, sometimes with violence, has increased in the last few years, in relation to the amount of the transient population here however its much, much less than other parts of Europe, England & Wales and Central & Eastern Europe and elsewhere. It does seem that a large number of perpetrators appear to be non-Spanish!
If I am correct you may come from Ayrshire and from the info shown here - http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-ayr.html
other than motoring offences, your area shows significantly less crime than the National average in the UK/Scotland so you possibly live in a comfort zone and not in the real world! This is not intended to be offensive but to balance out your assertions.

karinagal
09-02-2012, 08:40
I've only ever had my purse nicked twice - once on arrival at Palma airport while waiting in the q for the bus, and the second time was at the train station at Barcelona airport as I helped a woman with a pram onto the train. The first time I lost my bank cards and a few pence in Sterling and had to make frantic calls to cancel the cards, the second time I lost @ 100€ but no cards. Both times it was at the start of the holiday when my brain was switched off - this is when travellers are at their most vulnerable. Now when I'm travelling, I use a handbag that has anti slash lining so it cannot be cut, and the zipped section has a clip on the end of the zip for added security.. See below for details girls:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.832971.cm_scid.Froogle?ref=fgl&source=froogle

I don't work for QVC btw.. It's just that they sell a range of these bags at reasonable prices - I've bought 2 already!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doreen
09-02-2012, 09:40
ditto Karina

In fact, I have used one of these http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4375673 (or something similar) every day for the last 15 years ... trying not to put anything of value in handbags

karinagal
09-02-2012, 09:52
Oooooo! That's an excellent idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ecky Thump
09-02-2012, 10:09
ditto Karina

In fact, I have used one of these http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4375673 (or something similar) every day for the last 15 years ... trying not to put anything of value in handbags

A nice product, but my wife has found the perfect solution, she keeps the money in my pocket and thats what she spends.....MY MONEY!

Added after 6 minutes:

Sorry but your statement is complete and absolute tosh!
If I am correct you may come from Ayrshire and from the info shown here - http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-ayr.html
other than motoring offences, your area shows significantly less crime than the National average in the UK/Scotland so you possibly live in a comfort zone and not in the real world! This is not intended to be offensive but to balance out your assertions.

Talking of talking tosh, I wouldn't be led to believe those figures to make me feel safe, there are parts of Ayrshire that you wouldn't wish to live or walk at nights..The real world.

chips
13-02-2012, 20:42
I think where ever you live you should always be careful in what you carry on your person ,airports all over have always been hotspots for crime, being robbed is the furthest thing from their minds when they are trying to get to taxis or buses ,but i am supprised at the stuff people carry about on their persons when out and about ,myself when going out i only take enough to do what we have planed, passports documents all go in the safe as soon as we arrive ,and i would never use my credit card except in emergency we even split the money when we are traveling to our destination ,be safe not sorry dont flash lots of cash when your in public places and use your credit card for emergencys only i got my credit details cloned in the dutyfree shop in Manchester so it can happen anywhere,so a bit of common sense can go along way to keeping you and yours safe ,enjoy your holidays everyone i will be on mine in two weeks time bye for now .Chips

astara
13-02-2012, 21:03
Its a shame but now I feel I cant trust anyone now.I was mugged while having a conversation with the mugger, can you believe that? Yes he was very friendly, showing me a flyer for a flamenco show for Paradise Park , we politely refused at the same time he got into mybag and made off with my purse and 200 euros.I still feel stupid that I took this rat at face value but its the feeling of suspicion I have of everyone now which I hate most and I despise him for that.
I understand exactly how you feel - I have just posted this on the thefts at mount teide thread, but will repeat here -
three purses taken in the los cris charity shop in last two weeks, two from customers whilst shopping- & then today thieves had the audacity to take my purse from a cupboard right underneath our till, where i was sitting. they tried to lure me away & even though i dednt move from till they managed to get in somehow.... They are extremley clever obv trained from birth in the art of pickpocketing. these were two females between 25 - 30 long brown hair, very very slim, spoke spanish but could have been morrocan / romanian. I was lucky my purse was dumped at back of shop woith my cards intact, just cash gone. We have warned customers & put up signs, what else can you do. they obviously came back thinking easy picking here whilst people are searching through rails of clothes. W eknow who they are & trust me are ready for them if they show faces again. The police didnt want to know, too busy with the other 5 folks queing up to report stolen wallets.... When i got my turn they showed me two boxes full of unclaimed purses, wallets & documents!!!!

the_kat
15-02-2012, 14:14
I think it is absolutely necessary to be vigilant at all times, it doesn't mean you have to be thinking about it 24/7 but you can train yourself into habits that make you less of a target. I have been here 12 years and never had my purse or bag stolen. I am always aware of my surroundings, my bag is always by my side, if in a busy place i move it from over my shoulder to over my head and keep it against my stomach, when I'm with the fella I walk slightly behind him on the side his wallet's on and keep my eye on it. I have seen them actually realizing I have clocked them and walk away knowing I will not be an easy target. Unfortunately thieves use confusion and chaos to their advantage and for example when your waiting for a bus and it pulls up, as you all hurry to the front to make sure you get a seat, someone could be stealing your wallet or purse and you won't even notice because everyone is pushing and nudging to get on......just one example. I normally wait till last, and even then I've seen them wait till I get on to get behind me, but I simply move my bag to in front of me again. Remember it is your property and there is only one person who can keep it safe and that's you, there will always be thieves, unfortunately that is just a fact of life.

Of course this does not apply to those who get mugged, that is completely different, my only advice for that is try not to walk alone after dark especially in quiet areas. And if you do see a possible threat try to get near other people as soon as you can if possible. Or if you are near anything, a shop/hotel/bar go inside if you feel unsafe.

Most of all common sense, don't take out anything you don't need with you. have a separate 'going out' purse/wallet that you just take out with what you need in, do you really need your credit cards with you if you are going out for a meal or a drink? If you are taking a lot of money out with you, carry some in your purse and the rest somewhere else on you if you can.