PDA

View Full Version : Finance Another possible scam, 50€ notes and the Lebanese Bank

Andy0210
24-01-2012, 23:50
Got told tonight by the friend that a couple of his friends have been approached by someone, one outside Iceland and others outside the Mercadona, both at Las chafiras.

Asking for directions to The Lebanese Bank, saying he needed to change a note, 50€ to be precise, when they have offered to change the note for him they noticed he had lots of 50€ notes in his wallet.

Not sure of the exact scam, maybe money laundering or fake 50´s but something doesn´t seem right about this.

Thought i would warn everyone despite not having any more details.

Maybe save someone 50€.

seanocelt
25-01-2012, 04:36
A typical "tourist beware " tale from me tonight. Couple sat in bar, with overhanging balcony, bag straps hanging out on street...........yep, gone in 10 mins flat. Tourists were from Sweden, lost a few bob, but of course, the passport and credit card nightmare to be endured. Eye witnesses saw a "Spanish looking " guy with "man boobs" get out of a car, hang round then vanish. (no it wasnt Fernando Torres!). Shame, but it keeps happening, opportunists abound.

Simon-M
25-01-2012, 10:14
A typical "tourist beware " tale from me tonight. Couple sat in bar, with overhanging balcony, bag straps hanging out on street...........yep, gone in 10 mins flat. Tourists were from Sweden, lost a few bob, but of course, the passport and credit card nightmare to be endured. Eye witnesses saw a "Spanish looking " guy with "man boobs" get out of a car, hang round then vanish. (no it wasnt Fernando Torres!). Shame, but it keeps happening, opportunists abound.

Happened to us a few years back. Luckily there was not a lot in the bag. Now, the wife always hooks one handle of the bag under a chair leg or she does not put the bag down.

Harlequin
25-01-2012, 11:27
Curiously I had a conversation with my partner about this. English typically set a bag on a floor while Spanish and south americans do not.

cainaries
25-01-2012, 12:04
Curiously I had a conversation with my partner about this. English typically set a bag on a floor while Spanish and south americans do not.

Very true. When I was in Brazil, the waiters used to bring me a little footstool for my bag. Couldn't for the life of me see why it was safer on there than the floor but I guess it was certainly cleaner. Locals where I am here don't carry handbags, just their purses in their hands. I always think how easy it would be to rip a purse out of someone's hand so that doesn't strike me as safer either. Other thing I've seen people here do is to set their money and phones on the bar in a bar but I'd always be worried someone would spill a large glass of beer over them. Decisions, decisions.

bonitatime
25-01-2012, 12:49
I have one of those bags which cross over your body but it is more so I don't forget it. But also makes me feel a bit safer.
That said I would always put my bag on the chair with me rather than the floor.

karinagal
25-01-2012, 13:28
I hook my leg through the strap of my bag or if space permits I keep the bag on over my shoulder and put the bag on my knee at the table..

Suej
25-01-2012, 16:12
I have a bag hook that hangs anywhere on the edge of the table I normally hang it very close to me (practically on my lap) or in between myself and other half. But I do try mostly to avoid taking a bag out at all if I can.;)

tizzywizzy
25-01-2012, 17:39
Never put your bag on the floor. It is so easy for someone to take it without you knowing. Try not to take anything of value out with you.

finca18jrl
25-01-2012, 18:26
I was told by my Spanish friend, that ladies don't put their bag on the floor, so as not to let their money "roll away".... one of their superstitions!

s1monsg
25-01-2012, 18:35
I was told by my Spanish friend, that ladies don't put their bag on the floor, so as not to let their money "roll away".... one of their superstitions!

Yes, that's true. My wife doesn't believe in that superstition so when we go to see her family and she puts her bag on the ground one of the family always screeches in horror and hangs it on a chair for her....just in case.

cainaries
26-01-2012, 00:44
Yes, that's true. My wife doesn't believe in that superstition so when we go to see her family and she puts her bag on the ground one of the family always screeches in horror and hangs it on a chair for her....just in case.

Thanks for this info - explains several strange moments I have had visiting our neighbours (well some of them at least).