PDA

View Full Version : Computer fraud scam

irishmusico
28-01-2012, 16:21
Scam Alert!

I just got off the phone to computer tech chap called Steve Jobs. He was directing me to two sites wwwdotammyydotcom and wwwdotlogmeindotcom and trying to connect so a technician could acess my PC to fix all the viriuses that I had in it.

Since me old mate Steve passed away,I was suspicious of his motives.I kept him on the phone for a very fustrating 1.5 hours as my PC kept switching off(With all the viruses,I suppose) and I could not connect to his web page.I did give him someones cerdit card details and that seemed to make him happy(Made up from the top of my head)They got my name from the phone book I suppose. Just to let everybody know this is going on.

TenerifeTeddy
28-01-2012, 17:40
I have heard of several instances of this happening, one of the calls came to someone who works for me and the call came from Thailand. She didnīt have her PC switched on at the time so was of course immediately suspicious.

I think people must use common sense and just assume any unsolicited call of this nature is bound to be a scam and to either ignore it, and just put the phone down or do as you did and waste their time.

Jackie
28-01-2012, 18:17
I had the same thing a few weeks ago

tonypub
28-01-2012, 20:20
I had the same thing a few weeks agothey must pick a certain type of person:callme:;)

Jackie
28-01-2012, 21:09
they must pick a certain type of person:callme:;)

:crylaughing: :rolleyes: :raspberry2:

karinagal
28-01-2012, 21:45
Scam Alert!

I just got off the phone to computer tech chap called Steve Jobs. He was directing me to two sites wwwdotammyydotcom and wwwdotlogmeindotcom and trying to connect so a technician could acess my PC to fix all the viriuses that I had in it.

Since me old mate Steve passed away,I was suspicious of his motives.I kept him on the phone for a very fustrating 1.5 hours as my PC kept switching off(With all the viruses,I suppose) and I could not connect to his web page.I did give him someones cerdit card details and that seemed to make him happy(Made up from the top of my head)They got my name from the phone book I suppose. Just to let everybody know this is going on.

Was this call supposedly from Microsoft or Windows help desk? If so, definitely a scam..... See here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Balcony
10-02-2012, 08:29
Have to keep your wits about you at each and every step. I almost fell for an email scam (designed to infect the computer). I was expecting (an overdue) parcel and got a mail purporting to be from DHL. I'd missed the opening in my haste - "Hello Dear" - but soon realised it was a scam.