PDA

View Full Version : Other What happens if I stay in Tenerife for more than 3 months and dont tell authorities?

palm
28-01-2012, 21:08
Hi ! I might be in tenerife for more than 3 months at a time, not by much longer, maybe 3 weeks more. Ive read that I would be 'obliged' to tell the authorities I am here if I stay for more than 3 months at a time. I won't need any documentation to do anything, I won't want a job or buy a house or anything I need documents for. What happens? It all seems pretty laid back to me will anyone care?

thanks!

doreen
28-01-2012, 21:17
Technically you should register if you are 3 months or longer in Tenerife ... many don't and no one is stamping your passport at the airport to check :)

But ... what about your travel insurance ... it is unlikely to cover you for 90 plus days ...

palm
28-01-2012, 21:26
Technically you should register if you are 3 months or longer in Tenerife ... many don't and no one is stamping your passport at the airport to check :)

But ... what about your travel insurance ... it is unlikely to cover you for 90 plus days ...

Thanks for your reply.

As long as its not a legal obligation, and I won't get fined or anything Im ok with taking a chance on the travel insurance. I'd only be there maximum of 3 weeks longer than the 3 months.

Im not sure these days if a passport stamp would be required for them to know, maybe they scan the number and it's logged on a computer somewhere so they'd know?

Has anyone been on tenerife longer than 3 months without telling anyone and not had or had any issues when travelling back?

henry
28-01-2012, 21:30
Thanks for your reply.

As long as its not a legal obligation, and I won't get fined or anything Im ok with taking a chance on the travel insurance. I'd only be there maximum of 3 weeks longer than the 3 months.

Im not sure these days if a passport stamp would be required for them to know, maybe they scan the number and it's logged on a computer somewhere so they'd know?

Has anyone been on tenerife longer than 3 months without telling anyone and not had or had any issues when travelling back?

i had to get a spanish visa from america for 6 months. and by the time i got my nie. number here (4 months waiting) thanks to my spanish mother. i now offically here now and been here now for 13 years

doreen
28-01-2012, 21:34
Thanks for your reply.

Don't worry, you should register ... but so many do not and I have yet to hear of anyone with any problems as a result :)

palm
28-01-2012, 21:40
Don't worry, you should register ... but so many do not and I have yet to hear of anyone with any problems as a result :)

That was my thinking really, they seem so laid back and disorganised Im pretty sure they wouldn't be on top of things enough to notice. And im not surprised many don't tell anyone. I guess Im still too conditioned to an environment like the UK where you put a foot wrong and some jobsworth in officialdom jumps on you!

Thanks for the replies

doreen
28-01-2012, 22:22
That was my thinking really, they seem so laid back and disorganised Im pretty sure they wouldn't be on top of things enough to notice. And im not surprised many don't tell anyone. I guess Im still too conditioned to an environment like the UK where you put a foot wrong and some jobsworth in officialdom jumps on you!

Thanks for the replies

Then again, why not register ... you could get cheap flights to the mainland & the other islands (which is why many do :)) and residents' discounts in hotels and somewhere like gyms ..

Some fear it might bring them inside the tax net in Spain, but there is currently no link

tracy hampshire
28-01-2012, 22:28
my boyfriend has been here for 12 years and let his paperwork laps, he went to the south last year for a family celebration, and got pulled by the police on his way home, because he had no papers he was locked up in a compound for illegal immegrants, and it took some very good friends and €800 to get him out so, beware they are not always as happy go lucky as you think they are .

caroletenerife
28-01-2012, 22:55
my boyfriend has been here for 12 years and let his paperwork laps, he went to the south last year for a family celebration, and got pulled by the police on his way home, because he had no papers he was locked up in a compound for illegal immegrants, and it took some very good friends and €800 to get him out so, beware they are not always as happy go lucky as you think they are .

I didnt know it could lapse, do you need to reregister. i have always had an NIE, but to be honest I have no idea if I have residencia..the paperwork is all Spanish to me....:dontknow:. i just took all the paperwork from the police station and said 'thank you very much' and presumed that was it...

zumba queen
28-01-2012, 23:55
Could someone tell me how insurance companies or anyone else would know how long somebody has been in any country. Is it the chips in passports or is "BIG BROTHER" watching you !!!!!!! (are insurance companies privy to passport control info ? )

TenerifePool
29-01-2012, 00:17
They may, and often do, ask for airline tickets when making a claim.

doreen
29-01-2012, 01:11

He's not an EU citizen, I guess ???

TIS
29-01-2012, 03:24
No, the insurance companies do not have access to Passport control.

However, the authorities do share information on car and tax issues so you may be tracked down as a result of that ie. the MIB in UK share inforamtion with Trafico and the insurance companies. As a result we know of 1 person who had had a car over here for about 12 years, still on UK plates. AS a result they had never had an ITV nor a UK MOT - MIB was able to impose fines which were more than the value of the clients car!

delderek
29-01-2012, 10:03
They may, and often do, ask for airline tickets when making a claim.

Then they perhaps need to get up to date. Many Airlines Haven't issued tickets for years.

doreen
29-01-2012, 10:14
Then they perhaps need to get up to date. Many Airlines Haven't issued tickets for years.

Yes, but you have an email confirmation, which is what they will want :)

When it comes to travel insurance, please people remember the two recent cases we had to help out ... it is not a luxury, it is a necessity to have up to date travel insurance.

delderek
29-01-2012, 11:51
Yes, but you have an email confirmation, which is what they will want :)

When it comes to travel insurance, please people remember the two recent cases we had to help out ... it is not a luxury, it is a necessity to have up to date travel insurance.

Agreed, but not too sure how many companies would allow you three months anyway.

kathml
29-01-2012, 12:09
Agreed, but not too sure how many companies would allow you three months anyway.

Most banks offer travel insurance as a perk on certain classes of accounts its reasonably easy to get ninety days and the one I use has no upper age limit

delderek
29-01-2012, 12:26
Most banks offer travel insurance as a perk on certain classes of accounts its reasonably easy to get ninety days and the one I use has no upper age limit.

Mmm, interesting, mine is free with my bank, but a maximum of 31 days per trip. I did extend it once for a further 10 days, at a cost of 50pds. So I assume very expensive for 3 months, plus mine has an upper age limit of 70. Your policy seems better.

kathml
29-01-2012, 13:18

Mmm, interesting, mine is free with my bank, but a maximum of 31 days per trip. I did extend it once for a further 10 days, at a cost of 50pds. So I assume very expensive for 3 months,
plus mine has an upper age limit of 70. Your policy seems better.

While there is a monthly charge for the account the benefits if used properly more than cover this cost

I get travel insurance, mobile phone insur, breakdown cover,free entry into executive lounges at airports worldwide these being the ones I use there are several others that I don't

Richy125
25-05-2015, 13:07
Ive just taken out travel insurance for my up coming hols to Tenerife, The way I see it, if it is linked to say a 2 week stay, then if you were to have an accident, then surely your claim would be invalid if it was outside the period of cover. And to take a risk abroad without any insurance at all is tempting fate (unless of course your wealthy enough not to need it.) The insurance companys wouldnt be bothered how long you are there, if the insurance has expired.
As regards the authorities, in Tenerife or any country, if they know you are a foreign national, they can easily check your status, ie work, rental on your home etc etc. im sure there are plenty of enquiries they can make, if they really want to.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just checked the date of this thread.....I'm a little late LOL .....duh! :crazy:

essexeddie
25-05-2015, 17:12
I know plenty of people that stay almost six months every year with no probs.

Megaloo
25-05-2015, 20:02
I think EU residents get away with it but I know a Canadian couple that overstayed their time by a couple of weeks and had to wait two years to come back here that was a few years back though

imablue
25-05-2015, 21:41
Has the sell by date not passed on this thread.....:whistle:

essexeddie
25-05-2015, 21:56
Depends if the poster is still on the reef.

amanda
26-05-2015, 09:47
Is he from the eu or somewhere esle where they need to register here

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Is he from the eu or somewhere esle where they need to register here

Richy125
26-05-2015, 10:01
Has the sell by date not passed on this thread.....:whistle:

Thats my fault lol.... sorry!,..... :ashamed: :spin: