PDA

View Full Version : What is the Titsa Bus service like in Tenerife?

Sal
29-01-2012, 20:02
We have holidayed in Tenerife for many years now, but have yet to try the buses!
No excuse as we are usually in Los Cris not a million miles from the bus station.

We want to visit some other areas of the island this year and know that buses have to be our best option. If you buy a bono card is it valid for one day and can you go anywhere on the island?

Also we haven't been to Jungle Park for a few years and would like to revisit this year. Is it a good idea to catch a bus and go under our own steam, or would an organised trip be a better option?

(Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, but I was unable to find any links when I used the search facility.)

warbey
29-01-2012, 20:29
We use the Bus regularly Sal. Its great between PDLA and Cris.
You need to know the Route and stopping Points for maximum benefit.

A Bono Ticket is valid 12 Months. I think they are valid on all Titsa Routes. (unless Someone knows different)
We like going limited stop to Sana Cruz too.!

Enjoy

AL JAY
29-01-2012, 20:35
The buses are great Sal,We only started using them since i joined the forum,Bono tickets last until you have used them up and you can pay for 2 people with it, Had to laugh the first time we used ours,we were strolling to the bus stop by the Hotel Vulcano and a bus was coming around the corner so didn't see its destination on the front,I asked the driver "Los Abrigos" he said Si, little did we know we had to get off at PDLA bus station and change buses,after a while i realised we were on the wrong bus and we ended up in Los Gigs for 1 euro 30c each, We eventually went to Los Abrigos a few days later and also to Playa San Juan which we went through on our first journey. :D

Sal
29-01-2012, 20:56
Will have to give it a try...............who knows where we may end up - there are still lots of areas we would like to visit and not places you can go to on a tour!

Should be fun!

Vortex Wake
29-01-2012, 21:00
Yes , the Titsa buses can be great fun - I use them a lot.

Allow loads of waiting around time for the bus to turn up.

polremy
29-01-2012, 23:49
The first time we went Titsa we just turned up at the stop and a bus turned up after a minute or so.
This of course led us to believe that they were pretty frequent.
We soon learnt our mistake. The next time we had to wait just about an hour!
(This is on the Golf).
After that we managed to get hold of a timetable and now we're pretty much experts and love playing the tour guide part, helping fellow travellers and explaining which bus takes which route and what time it might arrive.

murph
30-01-2012, 00:46
Love the Titsa Bus Service - I am not one for lying by the pool. Bono tickets cost €12 or - I think - €30 and from memory have a 12 month expiry date.

They can be used for as many people getting on the bus as you need to pay for as long as you have the money on it and most importantly, they knock between one and two thirds off the regular fare.

You can even get a Titsa Bus from the Airport to Los Cris Bus Station for just a few Euros.

I travel all over the Island for buttons every time I come over but you do have to get yourself a timetable as I have nearly been stranded a couple of times.

Vortex Wake
30-01-2012, 10:49
Just a few points to add:

Bus timetables are far from clear on timing at in-between stops i.e. the XYZ123 bus leaves PDLA depot at 6:30 am, and then 40 minutes increments thereafter (and will leave Los C depot at 7:10 am and 40 minutes thereafter) . If you at an in-between stop - say Hotel Vulcano, at 2pm, you have to work out 40 increments from 6:30 am, and then estimate the time from PDLA depot :( . That is why a use the plus or minus 1 hour rule :D , or see how many other are waiting (possibly) for the same bus.

Buses will have the same number at the front regardless of which way they are going - meaning, holiday makers unfamiliar with route direction frequently dash across the road form one bus stop to the other to board the wrong bus lol (check the destination at the front of the bus to aid your guess ;) ).

Some bus stops are only on one side of the road e.g. Golf del Sur (one-way road), meaning (round robin) buses will have the correct number and destination but actually may be going to a different destination first - so DO check that it is going to your destination first by asking the driver.

Most times, you get on at the front, and off at the middle (off the bus that is).

Ring the bell before your stop - difficult if you are unfamiliar with the location of the stop.

Remember - some buses can be smelly.

If your seat is damp - its because my water bottle tipped over on route.

Bus drivers are not always happy people, and often drive like the bus driver off the Simpsons over speed humps.

Women bus drivers often vacate the bus at PDLA depot for long periods before coming back.

junglejim
30-01-2012, 10:58
www.titsa.com for all the routes / also on Facebook and will answer queries in English.

bonitatime
30-01-2012, 12:28
It is a great service and very reasonable. I go every day from the south to Santa Cruz for work and it is much cheper than using the car. The buses are seldom late. (OK this is a specific service and I get on at the begining). The return journey I use the 111 which means I can arrive in Los Cris any time between 9.25 and 9.55 but that depends on how many passengers and what stops are used.
I have friends who do a round island trip evey holiday taking the to Los Gigantes and then on over the mountain stopping where they want. They are always enthused by the service.