PDA

View Full Version : Anyone any tips on treating asthma?

cainaries
29-01-2012, 21:05
Following a few posts on another thread .... anyone care to share tips/medicines etc. related to asthma and other similar ailments? Are you affected by the weather? What medicines if any do you use and do they help? Any non-prescription items which help or make you worse?

May be we can learn a little from each other.

samnickgodber
30-01-2012, 09:55
I have mild Asthma, i have had it since i was 14, i carry around a ventolin inhaler which you can buy over the counter here, i very really use it and can generally control it without the need to use it ( i just try and keep my-self calm and concentrate on my breathing), The weather effects mine when we have a calima or a sirocco i tend to have to use the inhaler as i can get very wheezy during them xx

sunshinezz
30-01-2012, 10:34
I hope this helps I have a very bad breathing problem which gets worse with the weather my inhalers are prescribed by the doctor here but can also be purchased over the counter in any farmacia the preventor which is used daily is serentide which costs 4 euro on perscription 140 euro to buy but it is essential to me. The other one is a stronger version of ventolin which is 2 euro on perscription and 6 euro to buy these products are also used in england as my friend also uses the same ones.I live a normal healthy life as long as I take the inhalers

cainaries
30-01-2012, 14:38
Technically I haven't got asthma but chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD or EPOC in Spanish). The symptoms are very similar, I suspect. I have two different inhalers - one called Spirivia which I use daily 'con desayuno' and another called Rilast which I'm supposed to use first thing in the morning and last thing at night but I tend only to use it when the weather is making me wheeze more than usual. It's cold and grey and drizzly here today (in wonderful sunny Paradise) so I'm using it but I don't use it all the time.

Any herbal teas or infusions which help? One doctor here (German) told me to drink a lot of fennel tea - only trouble is I don't like the taste much.

Balcony
10-02-2012, 08:25
Some info available here http://www.asthma.org.uk/
and maybe here http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/101/index.html

Ecky Thump
08-05-2017, 23:17
Can you get a reliever inhaler (Ventolin) in Tenerife without a prescription, as mine is almost empty and I forgot to pack a spare one.

Cousincas
09-05-2017, 08:13
Yes. I've bought it in the chemist next to Arona Gran without prescription, 5 euros. I believe you can buy it in any chemist.
Lately I've been reading about Himalayan Salt Inhalers for people with breathing difficulties and think I might give it a try
ps://thesaltmystery.com/himalayan-salt-inhaler/

Ecky Thump
09-05-2017, 08:54
Yes. I've bought it in the chemist next to Arona Gran without prescription, 5 euros. I believe you can buy it in any chemist.
Lately I've been reading about Himalayan Salt Inhalers for people with breathing difficulties and think I might give it a try
ps://thesaltmystery.com/himalayan-salt-inhaler/

Thanks for your help, I shall go along there today. I might not need it, but the fear of not having one at hand appears to bring on a asthma attack. :dontknow:

DeeLondon
21-08-2017, 00:49
Following a few posts on another thread .... anyone care to share tips/medicines etc. related to asthma and other similar ailments? Are you affected by the weather? What medicines if any do you use and do they help? Any non-prescription items which help or make you worse?

May be we can learn a little from each other.

I find room temp water and a little organic seas salt works well for lungs, coughs, etc - Ideally salt should be sea salt, that is air dried / sun dried