PDA

View Full Version : Basic living costs

Michal
31-01-2012, 21:55
Hi All!

My name's Michal and my fiancee and I are planning to move to the southern part of The Island at the end of 2012.

We're getting married this September and we decided to give Tenerife a try and move here for 3-12 months. We're from Wroclaw in Poland and we'd definitely use some summer climate after our harsh winters.

I'd like to ask you to share a little bit about the local expenses. Since we (probably) won't stay longer than a year, we're planning to rent an small apartment with a sea view, use public transport, work from home (a place with a solid ADSL broadband connection will be a must) since we both work in the internet marketing field. We're also planning to travel to other cities on the island on weekends, and maybe to larger, spanish cities.

Untill now, I gathered: (for both of us)
450 apartment
30 internet
20 cell phone
500 food
200 other expenses

Giving a total of 1,200.00 Euros per month.

Is it enough? Is it realistic? Have we forgot about something crucial? I couldn't entirely solve this one using the search function, I'd really appreciate your opinion.

Primarily we're thinking about finding a place on the south coast, probably in a smaller town (like Puerto de Santiago) assuming that there's going to be a proper broadband connection.

Thanks,
Michal

Suej
31-01-2012, 22:10
Hi Michal, Welcome to the Forum! Have a look through this thread for starters...It might help.
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?13027-Is-the-cost-of-living-in-Tenerife-similar-to-that-in-the-UK&highlight=Cost+living

bonitatime
01-02-2012, 09:50
Puerto Santiago has broadband although I can't say how fast.
Medical cover would be the only worry.

Michal
01-02-2012, 09:53
Puerto Santiago has broadband although I can't say how fast.
Medical cover would be the only worry.

That's great news!

I'll check out if Poland has some kind of EU contract, that will give my any basic protection as a EU citizien.

Guys, I'd really appreciate if you could share a little bit about your living costs - that's the last thing that keeps me here :)

Simon-M
01-02-2012, 11:36
Pint at 1€, bottle of Wine 99c. Water 1.50. That about says it all. It is cheaper to drink alcohol than it is water :)

Michal
01-02-2012, 11:46
Oh well, wine it is then :P

How about public transport? Plane tickets to Barcelona or Madrid, airport transfers?

BTW again huge thanks for all the help:):)

Simon-M
01-02-2012, 13:21
buses cheap with a bono card. Flights to mainland heavily discounted for residents. Taxi from south Airport to say Fanabe 26€ or on the bus less than 2€with a bono.

Michal
01-02-2012, 13:44
Sounds fantastic.

It becomes clearer and clearer for me.

One last thing - we haven't really decided where to stay yet - we thought about Puerto de Santiago, but that's only because we spent our vacation there and we loved it. We're looking for:
- a warm place (so rather on the south)
- good broadband internet availability
- a small town (not overloaded with tourists), but close to a bigger one for supplies/getting stuff done
- and finally a beach nearby would be a dream.

Thank you and sorry for nagging you guys with all these quesitons :) In the future I'll be more than glad to help with some IT/webmaster/online marketing stuff :)