PDA

View Full Version : Help needed connecting to my WiFi router

Margaretta
01-02-2012, 20:32
Whilst in Tenerife last week my daughter installed our new Internet provider in our Uk home. Her laptop is fine, this netbook is fine but my laptop will not connect with WIFI. We've tried restoring, reconnecting etc. We can see the Skype page and all the usual programmes but it keeps saying that infuriating phrase: 'Cannot display the webpage.' When it says to diagnose problems it tells us to unplug the router for 10 seconds which we have tried several times and for longer.
It just won't connect....any ideas please? It's so frustrating that I would love to throw the laptop and I'm not a violent person! Honestly!

warbey
01-02-2012, 21:17
Only a Layman's thoughts..
Has Your Laptop the Radio Receptor for the Job.
Older ones may not have it.

I purchased an attachment which worked buit wired it up in the end rather than Radio.

Have You set up a Network to suit.?
Thats about the Limit of My knowhow sorry..

markcuk
01-02-2012, 22:17
what operating system? make model of laptop?

follow this guide to connecting to wifi but dont look for btopenworld look for your wifi router! http://www.btopenzone.com/help/how-to-connect/index.jsp

theyoungones2
02-02-2012, 10:17
Could be any number of problems, but a few basics to try.
Make sure your browser is not using a proxy server (Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Make sure nothing is ticked) (Firefox Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings > No Proxy).
Also check your IP settings. Your router should normally also be your DNS server. Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt), type the following:
ipconfig /all [enter]
Look at the 'Default Gateway', this should be the address of your router, often 192.168.0.1
Now check the DNS servers, this should normally match the Default Gateway i.e. 192.168.0.1
If they don't match it may mean your network adaptor is not configured correctly for DHCP, in which case you will need to change it from the network control panel. This is all assuming you have a Windows laptop.

junglejim
02-02-2012, 16:56
Iīve recently installed internet and wifi - worked ok when connected by cable to router but kept dropping out on WIFI conection- I updated my Laptop wifi card driver and it worked ok for a while - then dropped out again - I went onto a forum for my type of wifi card( Atheros) and found a driver to download - no problems since .
Margaraetta does your laptop show you are connected to your router and have internet access when you get the message?

This is the forum , the driver link is down the page

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1411744

Margaretta
03-02-2012, 15:42
Thank you so much everyone for all this terrific advice. To be honest I don't understand the terminology at all but can now ask my daughter to read this and I'm sure she will be able to sort it all. I'll let you know what happens.
Many thanks for your time and kindness.xx

Marc Weinberg
11-02-2012, 00:22
Hi, if you are able to see skype and it shows that your connected and you can see the page ok then your laptop is connected to the internet via the router. can you send and recieve emails OK? if the answer to this is yes then that will clarify the connection is there.
one thing you can try is if using internet explorer go to tools-> internet options-> advanced -> restore advanced settings -> OK -> then reset-> OK. this will reset all of the internet settings to default. This will clear all of your saved settings, passwords etc so make sure you hasve got these kept before commencing. This should resolve your connection problems.
Please post back the result of doing the above.
Marc

markcuk
11-02-2012, 12:59
Hi, if you are able to see skype and it shows that your connected and you can see the page ok then your laptop is connected to the internet via the router. can you send and recieve emails OK? if the answer to this is yes then that will clarify the connection is there.
one thing you can try is if using internet explorer go to tools-> internet options-> advanced -> restore advanced settings -> OK -> then reset-> OK. this will reset all of the internet settings to default. This will clear all of your saved settings, passwords etc so make sure you hasve got these kept before commencing. This should resolve your connection problems.
Please post back the result of doing the above.
Marc

Try this before you do above! download this and it will tell you whats wrong with your connection http://www.pclive.com/download/tools/ICRTool.exe

Margaretta
11-02-2012, 15:05
Really worried now. My daughter is too busy at the moment so I followed your 'Internet Options' advice Marc, and set to default; it still 'Cannot display the webpage' Am also worried because now Google is lost and I have http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157. I want my Google back.
Your pclive connection will not work as again Internet explorer cannot display the webpage. My husband thinks my computer is overloaded and I am trying to put stuff on my new harddrive. The computer shows that it is linked to Sky and I sent a message on Skype although it hasn't been answered yet.
Please can you help me return to Google even if it doesn't 'Display the webpage?' Other computer working fine. Thank you so much for your time.

junglejim
11-02-2012, 15:09
Have you tried connecting your laptop to router with cable and if so are you getting on line this way?

Margaretta
11-02-2012, 15:15
Thanks JungleJim. Er...technology....if the router is that box in the hall with the lights?? It is plugged into the phone and i am plugged into the electricity in another room by a cable thingy with a box with a tiny round light. is that OK?

delderek
11-02-2012, 15:44
With many Routers,(not all) you have to first plug it into your computer with a cable (ethernet), before you can set it to go wireless.

markcuk
11-02-2012, 15:44
Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the General tab.

type in www.google.co.uk in the homepage box (replacing the http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=iehp)

Click OK to save your changes.

I think it would be a good idea you got someone out to look at it.

junglejim
12-02-2012, 13:54
Letīs try and be logical here
Firstly Margaretta has to connect her laptop directly to the router with the ethernet cable and see if she gets online . ( the cable sould have come with router)
If she gets online directly connected to router then itīs possible that she is not connecting via wifi.
She then has to check the wifi signal is being seen by laptop - if so she has to try and connect using router password ( probably on base of router)
If the laptop sees the router via wifi but will not connect then
1. the password has to be checked
2 the wifi card may have a compatibility problem ( usually updating driver can solve this)
3 does anyone elseīs laptop connect to this router via wifi ?
Answers to these questions will point the way forward to next steps !
The fact sheis not getting Google page and not connecting suggests she is not online !

Added after 3 minutes:
Try this for starters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s47tRBAscag&feature=related

Thanks JungleJim. Er...technology....if the router is that box in the hall with the lights?? It is plugged into the phone and i am plugged into the electricity in another room by a cable thingy with a box with a tiny round light. is that OK?

sorry should have answered this first . The thingy in hall is your router - you either get signal via wifi or connect with ethernet cable similiar to phone cable but slightly differing connections.
The electricity black box is your power supply .

Margaretta
13-02-2012, 13:58
Thank you all so much for your help.
Hubby not sure, daughter working all hours, but a friend is coming tonight who will be able to follow the suggestions here.
Many, many thanks for all your time and efforts with this ignoramus.
I'll let you know.......

Marc Weinberg
14-02-2012, 09:16
If it is any help I will be on the island between 28th Feb and 2nd Mar.

Margaretta
25-02-2012, 01:12
A big, big thank you to everyone here who offered advice and practical help.
I am 'over the moon' tonight because my friend's son, a computer whizz, came round and checked out your suggestions. Apparently the drivers of my laptop needed updating to match our new internet provider.
It works wonderfully now and is currently updating everything else as I haven't been able to use it since the beginning of January.

Why don't companies suggest that you update your drivers in a manual??
Thrilled to bits as I don't have to squint at the Netbook any more!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your expertise is much appreciated.:bowdown:

slodgedad
25-02-2012, 01:18
A big, big thank you to everyone here who offered advice and practical help.
I am 'over the moon' tonight because my friend's son, a computer whizz, came round and checked out your suggestions. Apparently the drivers of my laptop needed updating to match our new internet provider.
It works wonderfully now and is currently updating everything else as I haven't been able to use it since the beginning of January.

Why don't companies suggest that you update your drivers in a manual??
Thrilled to bits as I don't have to squint at the Netbook any more!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your expertise is much appreciated.:bowdown:

Happy days, Marge. I'll close the thread now you're sorted.

BTW, the HOLE is twice as big now, I'll try to get some newer piccies this week end.