PDA

View Full Version : BBC iplayer on ipad2

princessmonika
02-02-2012, 09:00
i have adsl with telefonica i have bbc iplayer global on my ipad and payed for a year no problem, but next door has a vodafone dongle and she cannot get to pay for the bbc iplayer what could be the problem??????:idea:

karinagal
02-02-2012, 11:20
Monika - if I remember right, you installed and subscribed to the iPlayer when you were in Dublin.... It could be that it won't allow you to do this when you're outside of the UK/Ireland?

Edit: sorry - just been on the website and it does say that Spain is one of the countries where it is supported.... Maybe it doesn't include the Canary Islands?

princessmonika
02-02-2012, 11:43
no karina i only installed my bbc iplayer here in tenerife, thats why it is very strange margaret cannot get into the subcribe section
the bbc iplayer global app is from apple from itune, so she only got her ipad at christmas, her sister bought it in UK but she installed and reged it in tenerife -- so if it is for the whole of europe it should work-- she does not want it for free!!!!

just a note it says on my iplayer that i am in tenerife

markcuk
02-02-2012, 12:28
could you not try her ipad on your internet to see if the dongle is the problem. Also i think you have to download the app from the spanish itunes store

princessmonika
02-02-2012, 16:00
there is no spanish itune only in spanish language but my itune is also english apple has only one itune i will try on my wifi to see if it works not today will let you know if it works

karinagal
02-02-2012, 21:04
no karina i only installed my bbc iplayer here in tenerife, thats why it is very strange margaret cannot get into the subcribe section
the bbc iplayer global app is from apple from itune, so she only got her ipad at christmas, her sister bought it in UK but she installed and reged it in tenerife -- so if it is for the whole of europe it should work-- she does not want it for free!!!!

just a note it says on my iplayer that i am in tenerife

Then I'm at a loss - what happens when she tries to open iPlayer? Is she getting an error message at all?

princessmonika
03-02-2012, 08:24
no no error -- iplayer opens all the programs are there same as mine, but it has no button to click on subcribe - i update her ipad -- we just dont know why -- the connection to asdl is good --

karinagal
03-02-2012, 10:17
Does anything happen when you click on one of the program's to watch it?

princessmonika
03-02-2012, 10:26
no nothing --- it is just showing all the programs, but nothing will happen well i will have another go later

markcuk
03-02-2012, 11:29
I would delete the app and download it again from the spanish app store.

here are the instructions to delete an app if you dont know how http://www.dvdipad.org/ipad-tips/how-to-delete-an-app-on-ipad.html

princessmonika
03-02-2012, 12:24
hi cannot open your link you send to me, but i can delete it will try later

Added after 2 Hours 14 minutes:

well i put my wifi details on her ipad still does not work-- just thinking my laptop is from ireland, but her laptop is from the UK , so maybe that is the problem, because it keeps saying -- you cannot view outside the UK -- so how do i change it to spain-- her laptop has still XP
any help out there
thanks

markcuk
08-02-2012, 18:09
try the iplayer global app from here http://itunes.apple.com/es/app/bbc-iplayer-global/id449130604?mt=8

go to it on the ipad

princessmonika
08-02-2012, 18:16
i did that -- it still thinks i am in the UK -- so it says not available outside the uk -- and where it says where is your location i put in spain , when i downloaded the bbc iplayer global from itune-- could it be , because she has a UK email address???
well anybody has some idea thanks

doreen
08-02-2012, 19:27
I didn't know such a thing was available and tried just now to download the app on my (old) iPad ... cannot without "version iOS4.3" ... and to install that, I gather I will lose all the apps I have already bought :(

markcuk
08-02-2012, 19:43
Ok I found this blog with instrutions

you'll need the following if you want to install the BBC iPlayer Global and you have a UK iTunes account:

1.Create a new iTunes account in your region. Navigate the foreign language. Scream at Apple's ignorance.

2. Use a credit card that is tied to that region, or use a UK credit card with ClickAndBuy.

3.Change your iPad to match the account region.

4.Install the app.

follow the blog here http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2011/10/apple-store-that-bbc-iplayer-forgot.html

Added after 11 minutes:

I didn't know such a thing was available and tried just now to download the app on my (old) iPad ... cannot without "version iOS4.3" ... and to install that, I gather I will lose all the apps I have already bought :(

It will back them up and put them back when it finishes

princessmonika
09-02-2012, 08:00
no you do not loose your apps we have all that you say markuk but it still does not work

markcuk
09-02-2012, 10:49
dunno then the blog explains the problem try taking it to witzend!

princessmonika
11-02-2012, 16:27
she has a vodafone dongle -- i am with telefonica my speedtest is very good---i will have a look later what hers is like--- but what does it matter -- tell me please

karinagal
11-02-2012, 21:05
Monika, does Margaret connect to the Internet via a UK VPN? Was the app downloaded to her laptop first or downloaded direct to the iPad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

princessmonika
12-02-2012, 12:17
no first to laptop -- NO via VPN --maybe she needs a new email address like gmail or hotmail - she has a uk email -- we will try it but realy i cannot understand it???????
but i put HER IPAD on my telefonica line and it does ALSO NOT work -- so it is not the asdl --

karinagal
12-02-2012, 12:50
When I access the App store here, it only has one BBC iPlayer app and there's no sign of the Global one. Even tried searching for it and there were no results.

Did she download the app onto her iPad using her wifi or yours?

princessmonika
12-02-2012, 12:58
her wifi -- but i would have to put her laptop on my line and than download the app into her itune and than transfer it to her ipad is that what you think???

karinagal
12-02-2012, 13:17
her wifi -- but i would have to put her laptop on my line and than download the app into her itune and than transfer it to her ipad is that what you think???

TBH Monika, I'm at a loss at to what the problem might be... If there was a VPN or proxy at work then it would be the UK iPlayer that she has but then if that's the case she should not have a problem viewing content.... Guess it must be gremlins at work.....! Sorry!

princessmonika
12-02-2012, 13:28
thanks i will try later-- it is raining on the golf so will stay inside--

markcuk
12-02-2012, 13:32
When I access the App store here, it only has one BBC iPlayer app and there's no sign of the Global one. Even tried searching for it and there were no results.

Did she download the app onto her iPad using her wifi or yours?

if you are connected to the uk app store then no its not there!

This blog explains it

http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2011/10/apple-store-that-bbc-iplayer-forgot.html

karinagal
12-02-2012, 13:46
if you are connected to the uk app store then no its not there!

This blog explains it

http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2011/10/apple-store-that-bbc-iplayer-forgot.html

I guessed as much.. Satellite was suggesting that she may be connected through a uk ISP - that would mean that it would have been the uk iPlayer that was installed but if that was the case, it should also run the content as it would assume she was in the uk? Trying to imagine what's causing the problem..... I'm out of ideas! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcuk
12-02-2012, 17:09
Irish app store that explains a lot!