PDA

View Full Version : A question about registering UK vehicles in Tenerife

ElaineTV
04-02-2012, 16:59
Hi again,

Hope everyone is well!!

Just want to know, is it very complicated and expensive to transfer car & motorbike registration plates from UK to Spanish/Canarian?

Need to make a decision about our cars and bikes here in the UK.. toying with the idea of selling one of each (we have 2 cars & 2 bikes - all over 5yrs old) and driving/riding 1 car & 1 bike over and transferring plates after 6 months - or if it's actually easier & cheaper to just sell the lot here in the UK and buy in Tenerife... advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mike in chayofa
04-02-2012, 18:08
.... is it very complicated and expensive to transfer car & motorbike registration plates from UK to Spanish/Canarian?

It is more 'messy' than complicated and unless you know the procedure, you will be better off getting an expert to do it for you.

You will have taxes etc to apy, but you will also have the cost of fuel and ferries to bring them here.

After all that, you will have a right-hand drive car in a country that drives on the right - which is not the best of situations.

Unless the vehicles are 'special' to you, my advice would be to sell them in the UK and purchase again in Tenerife

ddoyle
04-02-2012, 18:56
I brought my car over in October drove from Cherbourg to Huelva worked out about around €350 for petrol and tolls the ferry from Huelva was around €340 one way. I am in the process of changing over my plates, I don't have any problems driving R/H drive car here.