PDA

View Full Version : Is Canarian Spanish closer to Latin American Spanish or Castilian?

Toploader
06-02-2012, 21:02
I know it's a whole dialect of it's own and either way I'm going to have to learn some local terms and slang ect, but I was wondering what might be the best starting point? Reason being is that I use the exellect BYKI flashcard software and as I'm looking into moving out to Tenerife I wanted to get started on Spanish. The BYKI software comes in both Latin American and Castilian versions. From what google has told me it does seem Canarian leans a little more towards Latin American than Castilian, but wanted some more opinions on this.

Many thanks!

cainaries
06-02-2012, 21:14
Depends what kind of Spanish you want to speak - if you want to speak 'the language of the street' or if you want to speak 'correctly'.

I'd just start with the easy stuff - like the fact that there are two verbs for 'to be' and if you can suss that one out 100% you'll be a lot cleverer than most of the rest of us trying to learn Spanish. Oh, and 'para' or 'por' for 'for'. I wouldn't worry about which type of Spanish you're going to learn, personally, just start somewhere and keep going.

Toploader
06-02-2012, 21:30
I appreciate the response and quite agree I should just start somewhere and get going, but seeing as I'm going to spend about £70 for the software, and it's primarily to speak Spanish with natives within Tenerife, I was just curious as to which dialect would be considered closer. In short, would Latin American spoken 'correctly' be closer to Canarian or would Castilian (as in central Spain).

I know it's not a massive deal either way, but ya know, it all helps :)

cainaries
06-02-2012, 21:43
I wouldn't presume to advise you on which is closer - and thanks for your honest reply. One of the very basic differences is that, here in the Canaries, they don't use the informal plural of 'vosotros' which is used on the Mainland. So, even with people you know well - if there are two of them - they still use 'ustedes' which is the third person plural not vosotros which is the second person plural. Trust you are keeping up so far - this took me a while to understand. I did go - briefly - to a Peruvian guy for Spanish lessons but quite a lot of the time he just grumbled about the words used here in the Canaries which weren't the same as those used in Peru. Difficult!

Toploader
06-02-2012, 22:11
Right thanks, that's helpful because I know that is also something they do in Latin America (most of it). This is why I *think* Latin American Spanish is a tad closer to Canarian.

There are other things I was wondering, like I know that in main land Spain they pronounce the C when before an I more like a TH from English, and in Latin america it's more like an S (most often heard in the word 'Gracias'). I think, but am not sure, this is also the case in the canaries. It's that kinda thing I was wondering about really, if it always lent more towards Latin American Spanish or if it's just a blatant mix of lots of dialects of Spanish.

sunshinezz
06-02-2012, 22:13
Hope this helps the local schools use castellana books for lengua.But as for learning maybe its better to learn basic spanish as has already been said then pick up the local dialect as you go along.

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2012, 22:35
I wouldn't worry too much - learn the basics and go with the flow - even between the Islands there are different dialects and phrases.

It's like English spoken English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh or whatever. The basics is "wot maerrs innit" pfffft:D

cainaries
06-02-2012, 22:36
Satellite is right - people from the Peninsula are not much loved. Huge pride here in simply being 'Canarian'. Today I looked up the word 'rustico' in my large Oxford Spanish/English & English/Spanish dictionary and it wasn't in there.:confused:

This word is used almost daily and by everyone to describe almost everything. Houses - rustico or not, furniture - rustico or not, furnishings - rustico or not. Even china. Even furniture polish. But it's not in the Spanish part of our Dictionary. Looked up 'rustic' in the English part and it gives you 'rustico' but it means SO much more than just rustic. Just one example of many.

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2012, 22:37
I wouldn't presume to advise you on which is closer - and thanks for your honest reply. One of the very basic differences is that, here in the Canaries, they don't use the informal plural of 'vosotros' which is used on the Mainland. So, even with people you know well - if there are two of them - they still use 'ustedes' which is the third person plural not vosotros which is the second person plural. Trust you are keeping up so far - this took me a while to understand. I did go - briefly - to a Peruvian guy for Spanish lessons but quite a lot of the time he just grumbled about the words used here in the Canaries which weren't the same as those used in Peru. Difficult!

Gordon Bennett sort.....I'll be glad when your building work is finished and we can get back to normal!:raspberry2::D:respect:

doreen
06-02-2012, 22:38
I would buy the Spanish version ... you will be understood in the Canaries ... and applauded for trying.

My personal experience - my previous assistant was Argentinian, my current is Canarian and I find him a lot easier to understand .. and a lot less "chulo" - meaning "cocky" when applied to Argentinians (and there are a lot of them in Tenerife) whereas !Qué chulo! would mean cool ... as in awesome :)

cainaries
06-02-2012, 22:39
when in rome...

That's the difficulty, though, isn't it? That OP isn't in Rome .... (yes, or Madrid ... etc. ...)

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2012, 22:40
when in rome...

parlare Italiano!:D

cainaries
06-02-2012, 22:42
parlare Italiano!:D
Non, mais je parle francais.

Or even Auf Wiedersehen, pet!

Hace frio en tu barrio mi nina?

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2012, 22:50
Non, mais je parle francais.

Or even Auf Wiedersehen, pet!

Hace frio en tu barrio mi nina?

En mi pueblo hace tanto frio mujer ! y no puedo ver la calle, frente de mi casa (coz it's misty )or summit like that:D

Y alla, como va ?

Toploader
06-02-2012, 22:52
Some interesting replies and I thank you for them all. I'm leaning towards the Latin American version at the mo as it does seem to have a tad more in common (which I believe is mostly based on the Spanish spoken in Mexico). I know it's not a massive deal either way, but it's been interesting seeing peoples opinions of it. I got 6 months with 3 hours a day time to study planned, I hope that will at least get me to a good 'basic' level for when I arrive.

Should be a breeze after Studying Russian at least.

cainaries
06-02-2012, 22:54
En mi pueblo hace tanto frio mujer ! y no puedo ver la calle, frente de mi casa (coz it's misty )or summit like that:D

Y alla, como va ?

Hace mucho viento! Pero mejor que contigo, supongo.

Some interesting replies and I thank you for them all. I'm leaning towards the Latin American version at the mo as it does seem to have a tad more in common (which I believe is mostly based on the Spanish spoken in Mexico). I know it's not a massive deal either way, but it's been interesting seeing peoples opinions of it. I got 6 months with 3 hours a day time to study planned, I hope that will at least get me to a good 'basic' level for when I arrive.

Three hours A DAY! Mi madre - you'll be fluent in no time! And the alphabet is almost the same.

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2012, 22:58
Hace mucho viento! Pero mejor que contigo, supongo.

Three hours A DAY! Mi madre - you'll be fluent in no time! And the alphabet is almost the same.

Verdad - in both cases hun

Russian - j#der (can we use that here??):D sorry if not

Pues suerte y hasta mañana x

Toploader
06-02-2012, 23:07

I hope so! I have a lot of free time at the moment due to working nights in a hotel, so I'm gonna go at it hard. Not being around any Spanish speakers currently I need to make up for it a little and I really wanna be as close to fluent as I can be before I move out there (in the hope it will give me leverage in finding work). And if it does not work out, Spanish is a pretty handy tounge to know after all.

doreen
06-02-2012, 23:13
I hope so! I have a lot of free time at the moment due to working nights in a hotel, so I'm gonna go at it hard. Not being around any Spanish speakers currently I need to make up for it a little and I really wanna be as close to fluent as I can be before I move out there (in the hope it will give me leverage in finding work). And if it does not work out, Spanish is a pretty handy tounge to know after all.

... and don't let your Russian lapse while you are at it ... a rapidly growing market in Tenerife :)

tracy hampshire
06-02-2012, 23:14
i'd say go for the normal spanish, then you can always pick up the differeces when you're here it is always better to understand basic spanish, as everyone understands it here . then you go from there, i think it is a bit like speaking the queens english then going to say ..... newcastle. yorkshire or liverpool, you live there for a while & pick up the lingo

Toploader
06-02-2012, 23:17
... and don't let your Russian lapse while you are at it ... a rapidly growing market in Tenerife :)

Yeah it sure is :) My girlfriend is Russian and is currently doing and internship in a hotel in Adeje and she says she seems to end up speaking more Russian than Spanish. Russian is such a pain in the rear to learn, I was happy when I read up earlier that for a native English speaker Spanish is relativity easy.

I was not happy to learn I still need to (and still can not) roll my damn R's though :(

cainaries
06-02-2012, 23:25
Verdad - in both cases hun

Russian - j#der (can we use that here??):D sorry if not

Pues suerte y hasta mañana x

Duerme bien! Hablamos manana (no enne on the American keyboard bought in the Canaries!).

Added after 3 minutes:

Yeah it sure is :) My girlfriend is Russian and is currently doing and internship in a hotel in Adeje and she says she seems to end up speaking more Russian than Spanish. Russian is such a pain in the rear to learn, I was happy when I read up earlier that for a native English speaker Spanish is relativity easy.

I was not happy to learn I still need to (and still can not) roll my damn R's though :(

Russian will be very useful in the future, I would imagine! According to my OH, there are 2000 words which are roughly the same in English and Spanish. It just takes a bit of thought. If you've already learnt other foreign languages and are under about 60 you really shouldn't find it difficult. Almost any word ending in 'tion' in English will be almost the same in Spanish but ending in 'cion' and it sounds a bit different. The verbs are the worst as far as I'm concerned.

doreen
06-02-2012, 23:39
Russian will be very useful in the future, I would imagine! According to my OH, there are 2000 words which are roughly the same in English and Spanish. It just takes a bit of thought. If you've already learnt other foreign languages and are under about 60 you really shouldn't find it difficult. Almost any word ending in 'tion' in English will be almost the same in Spanish but ending in 'cion' and it sounds a bit different. The verbs are the worst as far as I'm concerned.

not only that - tion to ción - 321 words, I am told :)

but 221 verbs ending in -ate change to -ar ... inflate/inflar, participate/participar

253 words ending in -ic change to -ico plastic/plastico

and 231 -ty changing to -dad university/universidad

* with thanks to Marcus Santamaria for all the counting :lol: http://www.spanish-is-easy.com/Marcus-Santamaria.html

s1monsg
06-02-2012, 23:44
I'd go for the Latin American version as you are going to have to buy it. It'll be a lot closer to what you are going to hear here. I find it easier because you don't have to worry about the 'th' business. The Canary Islands have a big connection with the South Americans and as such have a common connection in their language.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

cainaries
06-02-2012, 23:45
not only that - tion to ción - 321 words, I am told :)

but 221 verbs ending in -ate change to -ar ... inflate/inflar, participate/participar

253 words ending in -ic change to -ico plastic/plastico

and 231 -ty changing to -dad university/universidad

* with thanks to Marcus Santamaria for all the counting :lol: http://www.spanish-is-easy.com/Marcus-Santamaria.html

That's very useful, doreen, thank you! I suppose my other problem comes with words that sound/seem almost exactly the same yet seem to have so many more syllables - the word for vet comes instantly to mind. But I'm not going to risk writing it on here.

bonitatime
06-02-2012, 23:49
I am with Doreen learn the Castillian version, south American Spanish is different again from what is spoken here but if you go with Castillian you will at least have accurate basics

Toploader
06-02-2012, 23:54
I'd go for the Latin American version as you are going to have to buy it. It'll be a lot closer to what you are going to hear here. I find it easier because you don't have to worry about the 'th' business. The Canary Islands have a big connection with the South Americans and as such have a common connection in their language.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

This is pretty much what I've decided I think now, order shall be placed, the journey starts today.

That's very useful, doreen, thank you! I suppose my other problem comes with words that sound/seem almost exactly the same yet seem to have so many more syllables - the word for vet comes instantly to mind. But I'm not going to risk writing it on here.

Both what you and doreen have posted is very useful, I've learned some things already thanks! Great user base there is here. With the verbs, I've just read over some basic Spanish Grammar and compared to Russian it's so much easier so I'll be happy. Oddly enough so far I find the fact Spanish uses the same alphabet more confusing, at least in Russian it's a whole new set of letters with sounds and that separation made it easier to read. Still, it will all come together no doubt.

Yey for phonetic spelling too.

doreen
07-02-2012, 00:09
Interesting discussion here
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21534&PN=34&TPN=1

You will adapt to pronunciation (mine is probably nearer Latin American), but you don't want to be learning the "wrong" words - coches not carros :)

Toploader
07-02-2012, 00:26
Interesting thread and it's been bookmarked along with this one. Great community here, thanks.

ElaineTV
07-02-2012, 01:03
Interesting thread and it's been bookmarked along with this one. Great community here, thanks.

I would go for the Spanish edition, once your in Tenerife you will just switch the 'th' to 's' - you won't even notice you're doing it after a while and you will have the foundations of the full language then, whereas if you follow Latin American there are quite a few differences with para phrasing and such like and locals may not know exactly what you mean.

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2012, 09:58
Canaries if you hold the Alt key down and type 1 6 4 on the numerical pad ñ comes up

there are loads of them, I have a list here, I'm sure you can find one if you google. If not let me know and I will find you one or scan this doc for you hun

karinagal
07-02-2012, 11:21
Try this until you get your discs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/mividaloca/

It's free and it's a good place to start. It's based on mainland Spanish but apart from a little change to some pronunciation, it's very useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doreen
07-02-2012, 12:08
http://www.rtvc.es/television/enDirecto.aspx?canal=tv

watch local tv live

Excellent - thank you ... I've been missing that since it went off Canal Plus :)

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2012, 12:22
Excellent - thank you ... I've been missing that since it went off Canal Plus :)

:crazy::scared::eek:better wait til I get home to load that up - I remember Canal Plus:crazy::jumping::cheeky::cheeky:

Sundowner
07-02-2012, 13:30
I did a bit of research into this and decided that there was not much in it either way.........but decided on the Latin American version from Rosetta stone.

cainaries
07-02-2012, 14:24
Canaries if you hold the Alt key down and type 1 6 4 on the numerical pad ñ comes up

there are loads of them, I have a list here, I'm sure you can find one if you google. If not let me know and I will find you one or scan this doc for you hun

€ is what comes up when I hold down Alt +164. This in itself is extremely useful so I am grateful to you, Mrs. Monkey, even if I still can't write the enne. Tbh it is MORE useful being able to write the Euro sign!

When I told a friend from the Peninsula that we were moving out here she rolled her eyes and said the equivalent of 'Oh, God, next you'll be talking about guaguas.' And indeed we are having once asked where the estacion de autobus might be and being greeted by a puzzled look before the guy understood what we wanted.

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2012, 14:39
Ah yes guaguas like Doreen said before coches and carros (aren't carros shopping trollies over there ?)

Glad to be of some service Cainaries :cheeky:

chifleta
07-02-2012, 18:07
I know it's a whole dialect of it's own and either way I'm going to have to learn some local terms and slang ect, but I was wondering what might be the best starting point? Reason being is that I use the exellect BYKI flashcard software and as I'm looking into moving out to Tenerife I wanted to get started on Spanish. The BYKI software comes in both Latin American and Castilian versions. From what google has told me it does seem Canarian leans a little more towards Latin American than Castilian, but wanted some more opinions on this.

Many thanks!

The Canarians speak Español Castellano .... although they do use a couple of their own words, it's basically Castilian Spanish, not Latin American...... a lassy at my local gym is Cuban, and another Venezuelan, and i'm fairly fluent in Spanish, but struggle to understand her slang sometimes :) .... I do find some of the Canarians speak VERY fast, but that just comes with practice :) ... good luck, oh, and mixing with the locals makes it easier to learn the lingo :c2:

Added after 7 minutes:

which I believe is mostly based on the Spanish spoken in Mexico

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ..................... chihuahua! hahaha :lol:

Added after 2 minutes:

shame my other half hasnt got any spare time, you could teach him Russian (which he's dying to learn) and he can teach you Castellano..... as he's an islander with a very nice accent (my Canarian accent is probably stronger than his LOL) ...

Added after 9 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xrrc7lejFk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

this is the local Buenos Dias Canarias morning news programme that I watch briefly every day :) that'll get your ears used to listening to the accent here (obviously there are stronger accents,but this is great for learning..... I initially learnt a few words in Spanish watching Latino telenovelas, but other half put me right, after he came home one day and I said "como estas voz" which the Spanish don't use).....

9PLUS
07-02-2012, 18:26
Canarian is handful of words and a few speech impediments

chifleta
07-02-2012, 18:28
Canarian is handful of words and a few speech impediments

pero que dices muyayo! eres una papa (not the father/dad kind) :stupid::lol:

9PLUS
07-02-2012, 18:33
exactly......

bonitatime
07-02-2012, 18:35
pero que dices muyayo! eres una papa (not the father/dad kind) :stupid::lol:

😲😲😲..........love this

chifleta
07-02-2012, 18:36
I hope you read it with the required country folk accent :)

edit edit, other half just started laughing, he said to me "tocate los cojones" (don't literally translate that as it more or less means "you take the biscuit" in this case.... because I typed it wrong hahaha.... it should have been "eres un batata" not papa.... or "comete una papa" :duh:

9PLUS
07-02-2012, 18:37
country folk accent = SI

Toploader
07-02-2012, 19:00
shame my other half hasnt got any spare time, you could teach him Russian (which he's dying to learn) and he can teach you Castellano..... as he's an islander with a very nice accent (my Canarian accent is probably stronger than his LOL) ...

Yeah, it's something you need sooo much spare time for, such a complex language. Not so much to get understood, but to understand others at rapid speed is quite a challenge. I hate cases, so glad Spanish does not use them :)

One major stumbling block I'm gonna get is the rolled R's. I really can't do them, I've tried for years to get it right, and I can *just* about force one out at the start of a word but not in the middle or end. In Russian this is not a massive deal, and some Russians don't even do it (just thought of as a minor speech impediment, so as a none native you are 100% forgiven, as we forgive those that replace 'the' with 'za' for the most part). From what I can gather it's way more important to be able to do it in Spanish to the point you may not even be understood if you can't... so I guess I'll have to revisit this long standing issue of mine.

cainaries
07-02-2012, 19:25
This r-rolling difficulty doesn't strike me as important, tbh. There are some people who just look at me and say to themselves - oh, God, a foreigner, I won't be able to understand her ... I don't think this is dependent on my lack of ability to roll my rrrs. (Careful how you pronounce that). I have found using the wrong gender for a word can cause total lack of understanding however.

Toploader
07-02-2012, 19:39
Okay, very glad to hear it, as I fear I'll never be able to pronounce that correctly.

chifleta
07-02-2012, 21:07
One major stumbling block I'm gonna get is the rolled R's.

My other half suggested you try learn/repeat this tongue twister (kiddies at school would learn it to help with the R)

"Al perro del San Roque le han cortado el rabo, y ha sido Ramòn Ramìrez quièn se lo ha cortado. Porque el cabròn de Ramòn Ramìrez al perro de San Roque el rabo le ha cortado?"

you'll get there eventually, it's only the Scots that manage to roll their R's straight away, lucky things :)

cainaries
07-02-2012, 22:47
One of the problems a lot of foreigners have is understanding the difference between a Canarian saying 'dos' and 'doce'. So there you are waiting for the electrician who you thought was coming at 12.30 but he thinks he's coming at 14.30 - and, let's be honest, he probably isn't coming today anyway.

Oberon
08-02-2012, 22:03
Yes, Spanish is dead easy compared to Russian. It will surprise you.

Do not get the South American one. We are in Europe, the Spanish is European ....... the TV comes from the mainland and the government minister for tourism is Canarian.

Although the Canary islands have strong cultural links with Venezuela, which affects the accent, giving it a few things like a soft C and the music people listen to, the Spanish is European with a strong accent.
Getting the South American version would be like choosing a Texan version of English when you are in Yorkshire ... don't do it.

The other question would be - which South American Spanish are they selling you? Probably Mexican ..... which isn't at all like Argentinian ...... or Colombian.

Get the European version. That's where we are.

chifleta
08-02-2012, 22:10
Getting the South American version would be like choosing a Texan version of English when you are in Yorkshire ... don't do it.

just had to say, that cracked me up, and so true :lol::laugh::spin::lol:

Toploader
12-02-2012, 07:39
You're no doubt right Oberon, thanks for taking the time to write that, I'll keep it in mind.

As it turns out, I was chatting with someone I knew online that had the BYKI software I wanted along with the pimslier audio course and the Learn Spanish now disks (between the 3 I'd be set). She said she would send them to me and I just had to cover the postage, so saves me a lot of money :) But... it's all gonna be Latin American. I figure it would be a good start anyway, and I'll just have to dedicate a month to mastering the differences afterwards. (although I suspect it would take a Texan longer then a month to be able to understand someone from Yorkshire, heh!)

Oberon
12-02-2012, 10:58
............ But... it's all gonna be Latin American. I figure it would be a good start anyway, and I'll just have to dedicate a month to mastering the differences afterwards. (although I suspect it would take a Texan longer then a month to be able to understand someone from Yorkshire, heh!)Don't worry, it's the same language, we don't need subtitles for American films.

gsc
17-02-2012, 08:07
My tutor is in Guatemala! :D

chifleta
28-02-2012, 21:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xyp7xt-ygy0 just seen this and made me chortle (at the bits I understood as some of it was pretty fast singing)

CIM
06-04-2012, 00:43
I found Castellano much easier to understand than Canarian. The pronunciation seems a lot clearer, hence I now understand Latinos much better than I do lower class Canarians who use lots of slang and rabbit on too quickly.

TenerifePool
06-04-2012, 01:00
They call it, "con una papa en la boca".

slodgedad
06-04-2012, 02:34
I found Castellano much easier to understand than Canarian. The pronunciation seems a lot clearer, hence I now understand Latinos much better than I do lower class Canarians who use lots of slang and rabbit on too quickly.

Which is why it's always best to learn a non accented form of a language. Slang can come later.

Ask yourself, if you were non English speaking, about to learn, which would be the best.

South African, Australian, American or Oxford English as a base.

CIM
06-04-2012, 03:31
Which is why it's always best to learn a non accented form of a language. Slang can come later.

Ask yourself, if you were non English speaking, about to learn, which would be the best.

South African, Australian, American or Oxford English as a base.

The South American version of Castellano is very clear pronunciation wise and far easier to understand when heard so I believe I picked up a very concise and clearly accented version of Spanish, far more so than the watered down and over slanged version you hear in the streets of the South of Tenerife. My issue now is I really dont look forward to hearing this dirty, dialect-ed version of Spanish emanating from my daughters mouth a few yeas from now. Spanish elocution lessons will be required I think....

s1monsg
06-04-2012, 07:58
I saw a comment about lower class Canarians then looked to see who had written it...I had to check it again to make sure I had read it correctly. I'll say no more other than I find that comment very offensive and would never have guessed it would have come from you.

gsc
06-04-2012, 08:20
I saw a comment about lower class Canarians then looked to see who had written it...I had to check it again to make sure I had read it correctly. I'll say no more other than I find that comment very offensive and would never have guessed it would have come from you.

This is always a difficult one, when some-one uses words that are not 'politically correct' but we all know exactly what is meant.

You can tart up the phrase any way you want - eg 'less well educated' or as my gran would have said 'not very well bought up' but I think largely we mean it to express a wide range without making judgement necessarily.

For example, I'm a Brummy and hubby is Black Country. Now there are a lot of very heavy brummy accents to be heard, some with slang and grammer that's not too hot etc. Some are the 'salt of the earth' and some .... well , I wouldn't like my kids to mix with them. It's the same the world over.

What phrase to use to describe how they talk? Maybe 'lower class' is not a good choice but I'm not sure I could easily find anything that IS politically correct.

Easy to offend without meaning to.

chifleta
06-04-2012, 12:14
My issue now is I really dont look forward to hearing this dirty, dialect-ed version of Spanish emanating from my daughters mouth a few yeas from now. Spanish elocution lessons will be required I think....

so go somewhere else...... sheesh.......

I don't know the person who posted that comment, but I agree with what you replied.... it bugs me when people move over to the Canary Islands and do nothing but criticise... if you don't like it, move back to wherever you came from (isn't that what the Brits say to the "foreigners" that live in UK?) ....eek2:

CIM
06-04-2012, 12:17
So I cant live here unless I love every aspect of "Canarian life" - get real...

gsc
06-04-2012, 12:24
Well I think you have to remember the discussion is about comparing various versions of Spanish.

I don't know if it's a case of 'do nothing but criticise' here but thinking back I can remember Mom trying to give us elocution lessons when we grew up in an area of Birmingham where the Brummy accent was strong. Just because there are aspects of life you don't like isn't necessarily a reflection of the whole.

It's a very sad fact of life that people ARE still judged by the way they talk and the accent they have and I can't blame anyone for wanting to correct that, especially where your kids are concerned.

CIM
06-04-2012, 12:30
You´re a close second though :)

s1monsg
06-04-2012, 12:35
This is always a difficult one, when some-one uses words that are not 'politically correct' but we all know exactly what is meant.

You can tart up the phrase any way you want - eg 'less well educated' or as my gran would have said 'not very well bought up' but I think largely we mean it to express a wide range without making judgement necessarily.

For example, I'm a Brummy and hubby is Black Country. Now there are a lot of very heavy brummy accents to be heard, some with slang and grammer that's not too hot etc. Some are the 'salt of the earth' and some .... well , I wouldn't like my kids to mix with them. It's the same the world over.

What phrase to use to describe how they talk? Maybe 'lower class' is not a good choice but I'm not sure I could easily find anything that IS politically correct.

Easy to offend without meaning to.

I guess it was the wrong use of words. I would say that if you do not come from an area i.e. in this case are not Canarian...I don't think you can judge anybody's position, the language Canarians speak is a dialect that is different from the mainland, that's all. There are people in the UK that have a different dialect from the South...I wouldn't go round saying that people from Liverpool, for example, are all lower class (if there is such a thing anyway)...and I'm only using Liverpool as an example, because the accent/dialect is so different from the south where I am from...

The thread is going very much off topic, but anyway, @Chifleta, I do know CIM and he's a nice bloke, so I hope no offence is taken...let's not start another long argumentative thread.

@CIM..no it's OK, you don't have to like every aspect of the Canary Islands to stay here.

Hopefully that's that then...

sunseeker
06-04-2012, 12:38
if you go to madrid and spaek canarian spanish they think your a peasant from the campo. thats what the acent does. it sort of ***** them up when you drop into fluent english tho. jajajaja :D

chifleta
06-04-2012, 12:40
yes I agree gsc, we all want a good education for our children, and I, along with a lot of people, know the education system here is dire (although i hear UK isn't much better). My son went to a local school and speaks Canarian with a Canarian accent, as he's half Canarian, my better half is Canarian but speaks with a very mild accent, so much so a lot of people think he's from Madrid, but there are ways and "ways" of saying/typing things.

"i can't live here if i don't love every aspect of "Canarian Life" i'm surprised you didn't put a sticky out tongue smiley after that LMAO

Luckily i'm totally real thanks, but I have found (and i've lived here quite a long time so seen/heard a lot) that a lot of the people that move over here can't/won't just go with the flow, accept the way, enjoy this beautiful place, they just seem to nit-pick and make nasty unwanted comments.... that's all i'm saying....and going off topic a bit more, I think this is why the forum went quiet for a while, it just all seemed a bit negative all the time.....

I still believe that learning Castellano is the best bet .... at the end of the day, the hardest part about learning the lingo is the speed at which it's spoken.... not the dialects/accents :spin:

TenerifePool
06-04-2012, 12:43
The main difference between Atlantic Spanish and Peninsular Spanish is that the second person plaural is not generally used, being replaced with the third person plaural.

As the major grammatical difference is one of omission it would be better to learn the peninsular version memorising the whole verb table from day one.

sunseeker
06-04-2012, 12:47
I think this is why the forum went quiet for a while, it just all seemed a bit negative all the time..... the hole world is a bit negative at the moment. were in crisis.

The main difference between Atlantic Spanish and Peninsular Spanish is that the second person plaural is not generally used, being replaced with the third person plaural.

As the major grammatical difference is one of omission it would be better to learn the peninsular version memorising the whole verb table from day one.i think just general gramar and spelling lesson would be good for everyone! me included. lol

cainaries
06-04-2012, 13:00
I have an English friend here who always says 'vosotros' where everyone else - including other ex-pats - would use 'ustedes'. I did mention this to her and she said she wanted to speak 'correctly'. Would you expect every foreigner in England to speak like the Queen? It's all about communication. I suspect some Canarians who deal with foreigners every day speak two different types of Spanish. I had prided myself on understanding our vet until he took a call whilst I was in there one day and I couldn't understand a word he said, the speed he spoke. It was the same with the guy who did building work for us. I could understand him when he spoke to me but no chance at all when he spoke to the workmen. But as long as he and I understand each other, that's the main thing.

chifleta
06-04-2012, 13:13
Would you expect every foreigner in England to speak like the Queen?

That made me laugh cainaries. A few weeks ago I told my son he needs to really improve his English, my fault really, but he's lazy too. Anyhoo, I said "now repeat after me" ..... say "air" say "hair" say "lair" which he did.... then I said "now say all three together" which he did.... omg I cracked up, as did he, there you go, perfect English LOL.

cainaries
06-04-2012, 13:25
That made me laugh cainaries. A few weeks ago I told my son he needs to really improve his English, my fault really, but he's lazy too. Anyhoo, I said "now repeat after me" ..... say "air" say "hair" say "lair" which he did.... then I said "now say all three together" which he did.... omg I cracked up, as did he, there you go, perfect English LOL.
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains.

dixie4
06-04-2012, 14:18
The original question was Mainland or Latin America version of learning Spanish.
Now first of all please be aware that in Latin America they do have compleatly different words and expressions that mainland people would not understand. I can confirm this as I have an English/Spanish dictionery that tells you both. We are not talking just a few words here we are talking a completely different language at times.
What few realise is that the Canaries where originally settled predominantly by Spaniards from Andalucia. Now that opens another can of worms their accent is something else.
My son learned his Spanish working and living in Andalucia he has no problem in Puerto de la Cruz when he visits but he did have a slight problem with the accent in Cuba recently.
What was told to me was that there is a simple way of learning the dialect/accent and that is to learn the way the locals say the alphabet from a local person. Learn this and you have cracked it.
In Spanish every letter in every word is spoken except H
so basically there you have it.

Oberon
06-04-2012, 14:24
if you go to madrid and spaek canarian spanish they think your a peasant from the campo. thats what the acent does. it sort of ***** them up when you drop into fluent english tho. jajajaja :D It wouldn’t help if you look like a peasant from the campo.

This question is all to do with education and there are lot's of ways of speaking properly.
This has nothing to do with regional variations.

The Canarian accent can sound beautiful when spoken by an articulate Canarian with a decent education. The sort of thing you hear around La Laguna .... it's soft and melodic and perfectly expressive.
On the other hand ..... the squeals and grunts that you hear in the bars of Cabo Blanco or Granadilla can be endearingly quaint, but these people are limited to communicating with the people from their immediate vicinity ...... a lot of Spanish people (like the ones in Madrid) can't understand them.
(and you could say just the same about a few places in the UK.)

It is also very subjective.
I was asked recently where the best English was spoken.
The person asking me this was a very wealthy Colombian lady meditating on this very same argument, but she was wondering about the variations of English. She wanted to send her children to wherever they could absorbed the best ... and presumably, the most prestigious tones of English.

How do you answer such a ridiculous question?
I have a Sussex accent which, within the context of the Home Counties sounds a bit country bumpkin, however if I go up north I start to sound posh.
The physicist Brian Cox is one of the most expressive and articulate people on telly at the moment and he’s pure Lancashire.
And Billy Connolly is one of the world’s great communicators.
Jonathan Ross? Barack Obama? ........ certainly not the Queen.
I would suggest that the most neutral form of English today is the East coast of the USA, Boston, New York ... sort of “Friends” or “Sex in the City” English ... not too American, not too Europe. But again, it’s subjective and it’s all about education.

So I refuse to answer a ridiculous question like that ..... I reply with a question ....... hold up the mirror, so to speak; and I asked her where the best Spanish was spoken ...... maybe she’ll see what an impossible question it is? Or maybe she’ll go for Salamanca which I’ve heard mentioned in this context. However her reply was instant and assured, without even taking a breath she said “pues Bogotá! ” and tilted her head back and looked at me as if to wonder how it could be possible that I didn’t know that.
Subjectivity.

The main difference between Atlantic Spanish and Peninsular Spanish is that the second person plaural is not generally used, being replaced with the third person plaural. That is simply not true.

CIM
06-04-2012, 14:31
I think you put it better than I did Oberon :)

TenerifePool
06-04-2012, 21:49
That is simply not true.

Ermm...
It simply is!

bonitatime
07-04-2012, 00:07

I was gobsmacked when I read it as children will speak like their parents

Oberon
07-04-2012, 09:50

That is simply not true.

Ermm...
It simply is!
Ok then, it is. If you don't count the pronunciation - and the use of the pretérito perfecto compuesto and a few other things. You could call it "one of the most universal differences".

And the creation of the term "Atlantic Spanish" is inspired; that way you can include Canarian Spanish with Latin American Spanish, and they do indeed have a lot in common.

Not sure where you'd put Chile, Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador, Colombia and Galicia though.

chifleta
07-04-2012, 10:22
listen to this for 20 mins

FROM SOUTH AMERICA
http://tn.com.ar/envivo/24hs

FROM MADRID
http://www.telemadrid.es/?q=emision_en_directo

FROM CATALONIA
http://www.tv3.cat/3alacarta/#/directes/324

or this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJXQ9QYdSiU&feature=relmfu

quite a variety of Canarian accents during the course of the programme, especially when they have the mini reports from the different islands... and even I admit I don't like some of the accents, but I accept them, just like I accept the UK Heinz varieties LOL .... but IMO I think the South American accents are very different. I can't understand a Cuban lass, due to speed she speaks, plus she keeps calling me Mamita and the men Papito LOL makes me laugh :laugh: (she knows I can't understand half of what she's saying because I smile and laugh and she says "no entendiste verdad mamita? jajajaja" ) ... I must really start learning how to write Spanish properly though, it's ok speaking it pretty much fluently, but I know i'm not gramtically correct hardly ever.

gsc
08-04-2012, 10:46
Diccionarios de variantes del español (http://www3.unileon.es/dp/dfh/jmr/dicci/005.htm)

Worth a look - Click "Canarias":D

nigelmercier
31-05-2012, 13:10
even between the Islands there are different dialects and phrases...

Some of them even resort to a whistle :)

FWIW, I contacted the company who made my software, they advised to go with Latin American, if only for the pronounciation.

9PLUS
31-05-2012, 18:39
At the end of the day all these foreigner monkeys should speak English .<-----------------------FULL STOP

cheers

x

pjtaylor
25-06-2012, 11:10
I found that there is such a mixture here in the canaries, Argentinians, Peruvians, Spanish, Canarians, so you have such a mixture of dialects/accents. I´d beware of one thing before you go and splash 70quid on Byki software. Flashcards are a great way to help learn a language but you won´t learn a language simply from using flashcards. They won´t teach you grammar. If you are in an early stage of learning I can´t recommend night school highly enough, it is the best way to learn a language, because there are people there you can practise with. Flash-cards and audio tapes are one-way experiences, and language isn´t a one-way experience.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I found that there is such a mixture here in the canaries, Argentinians, Peruvians, Spanish, Canarians, so you have such a mixture of dialects/accents. I´d beware of one thing before you go and splash 70quid on Byki software. Flashcards are a great way to help learn a language but you won´t learn a language simply from using flashcards. They won´t teach you grammar. If you are in an early stage of learning I can´t recommend night school highly enough, it is the best way to learn a language, because there are people there you can practise with. Flash-cards and audio tapes are one-way experiences, and language isn´t a one-way experience.

Javi
27-06-2012, 23:26
Hi! Sorry because I am late in this thread, but as Spanish citizen (Canarian) I wouldn't want to miss this opportunity to say:

- Canarian people have a different accent than those from Iberian Peninsula - please no more "mainland". But beware because you will find even more different accents there than in Canary Islands.
- In my opinion, depending on where you go within Canary Islands, The Canarians speak a good standard, easily to undertand in whole country.
- Latin american accent is quite different to Spanish one. They frequently use expressions from American English and depending on what country, their accent can sound rough.

Finally, if you want to start to learn Spanish, why don't you go to your nearest "Centro Cultural"? Many of them run Spanish courses, usually for 3 or 4 months and more important, are cheap and quality.

I will be pleased to help you with your Spanish if you want to help me with my English. By the way, what is the best spoken English?

gsc
28-06-2012, 09:01
Just wanted to add my two pennorth.

I used Michel Thomas and Pimsleur audio which I download from the net free. One is good for grammer, the other for talking. I have a few other aids as well.

Personally I feel even at the advanced level it is nowhere near 'advanced' enough to worry about what accent they have.

I have just made a friend here in Los Abrigos. She grew up in the North and I find her accent just fine to understand as long as she speaks slowly.

To put it into context - I am at a level where I can undertand somewhere between half and 3/4 of what she says, speaking slowly. My verbs tenses are shaky and I make loads of mistakes and I can't think quick enough to hold a proper conversation.

I honestly think I have a way to go before I need worry about accents and any accent I may pick up from the tapes will quickly change once I can hold a conversation.

Oberon
28-06-2012, 12:19
- Canarian people have a different accent than those from Iberian Peninsula - please no more "mainland".......... The Spanish mainland is the correct term.
The Iberian peninsula is a geographic term in English, perfectly correct and it would include Portugal.

The word mainland is used to refer to any landmass as viewed from related islands. It does not imply that those islands are in any way inferior.

You will hear people in Britain talk of "mainland Europe" ....... and Australia would be the mainland for Tasmanians.

The only time you will hear "the peninsula" in English will be when you are talking to residents whose English vocabulary includes "escritura" "denuncia" and "grua".

chifleta
28-06-2012, 12:24
Hi! Sorry because I am late in this thread, but as Spanish citizen (Canarian) I wouldn't want to miss this opportunity to say:

- Canarian people have a different accent than those from Iberian Peninsula - please no more "mainland". But beware because you will find even more different accents there than in Canary Islands.
- In my opinion, depending on where you go within Canary Islands, The Canarians speak a good standard, easily to undertand in whole country.
- Latin american accent is quite different to Spanish one. They frequently use expressions from American English and depending on what country, their accent can sound rough.

Finally, if you want to start to learn Spanish, why don't you go to your nearest "Centro Cultural"? Many of them run Spanish courses, usually for 3 or 4 months and more important, are cheap and quality.

I will be pleased to help you with your Spanish if you want to help me with my English. By the way, what is the best spoken English?

Iberian Peninsular is such a mouthfull LOL ..... but I agree with what you say, like i'd been trying to say previously, South American is very different from Canarian accent, i'm one of the foreigners living here that speaks very good (with Canarian accent i'm proud to say) Spanish (although my grammar sucks), but I can't understand half the South Americans, so I end up nodding with a silly smile on my face thinking to myself "que coño dijo esta chica?"

What is the best spoken English? ohhhh I wouldn't want to offend anyone jejejeje ....... I'm from Hampshire, but I haven't got much of an accent, only when i've had a little drink, but if I want, I can do a very good "yokel accent" (tipo granjero) accent .....

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The only time you will hear "the peninsula" in English will be when you are talking to residents whose English vocabulary includes "escritura" "denuncia" and "grua".

Spanglish, that's how we talk in our house :laugh: .... OH's (Canarian) favourite advert on the radio at the moment "Ferreteria Goyo" he cracks up every time... mind you, today on the radio the newsreader said "magma movements on Eli Yerrow" and i'm thinking WHO? then suddently started laughing because I thought "oh they've named the underwater volcano Eli Yerrow" bwahahahaha

Javi
28-06-2012, 12:39
Hi there!.

Geographically, mainland is the correct term, nevertheless most Canarian prefer to use Peninsula instead of Mainland. I think this subtle matiz could be useful for those who live here.

Oberon
28-06-2012, 15:25
Hi there!.

Geographically, mainland is the correct term, nevertheless most Canarian prefer to use Peninsula instead of Mainland. I think this subtle matiz could be useful for those who live here.No, you are wrong.
Linguistically ... mainland is the correct term.
Geographically .... peninsula is fine.

There is no subtle matiz unless either - you are misinterpreting the term, or - you've got a big chip on your shoulder.

No one in England balks at referring to "mainland Europe" ..... even in the most disparaging of terms.

My mate had his car grua'ed away.
Then his neigbour stole the escritura to his house. So he got a lawyer from the peninsula to put a denuncia on him. (In this sort of conversation peninsula sounds fine) Please don't say "Canarians prefer to use the word "denuncia".

Javi
28-06-2012, 16:32
Ok then.

Thank you for your clarification Oberon. I made a mistake in my previous post, where I wrote "mainland" I wanted to write peninsula. Anyway, Oberon is right.

chifleta
28-06-2012, 19:18
if i'm speaking Spanish I say la peninsula, if i'm speaking English I say mainland Spain ... anyhoo, I never say Spain when I refer to my home here, ... if someone asks me "where do you live?" i reply "The Canary Islands" :D

russell
11-02-2013, 00:10
when i come to tenerife on holidays i speak the castillian dialect and have no trouble being understood because dont forget there are a lot of mainland spanish folk working in the canaries especially in the holiday resorts because of the work opportunity there but i dont know about places like the orotava valley not been there yet..