PDA

View Full Version : Internet When will be getting quicker internet connection in Tenerife?

canarygetaway
10-06-2011, 09:23
Does anyone know when the new cables will be ready in the south for the quicker internet connection ? I am only getting 1.88 Mbps here in Los Cristianos. And most important haow do we get it ??

Tenerife Property
10-06-2011, 12:46
I expected things to happen quickly with this, they were saying broadband speeds would go up and costs would come down..... still waiting like you!:lol:

TenerifeTeddy
10-06-2011, 14:16
Think yourself lucky!!! :) I get 0.8Mb in the house and 1.7Mb in my shop.
The cable reached Armeņime a month ago, but hasnīt gone any further as far as I know. I think I read somewhere that completion was expected around September/October, but I think it will still be sometime after that before any difference is made. Thye still have to update the infrastructure within the towns and villages to be able to transfer from Fibre to copper.

TenerifeTeddy
10-06-2011, 14:24
I am currently investigating a new option of ADSL via Microwave dish, being offered by Navegatel. They have offered me 3mb for €29.50, & €90 installation and are supposed to be coming next week to do a reception test.

If they can supply the 3mb I will take it up, as it is double what I get at the moment, and it is only a 12 month contract.

In a years time, there might be other options available from the Fibre Optic link, and I can reassess it.

Jackie
10-06-2011, 15:10
Does anyone know when the new cables will be ready in the south for the quicker internet connection ? I am only getting 1.88 Mbps here in Los Cristianos. And most important haow do we get it ??

Think yourself lucky you are getting 1.88Mbps.. I pay for 3 and am lucky if I get 0.5 :(

chifleta
10-06-2011, 15:40
I get 2.61mbps so not bad..... just a shame is freezes on occassion :) just wish my area was cheaper.

Jackie
10-06-2011, 16:07
I get 2.61mbps so not bad..... just a shame is freezes on occassion :) just wish my area was cheaper.

Hello you:hello:

chifleta
10-06-2011, 16:09
hiya, like the socks :crazy:

Jackie
10-06-2011, 16:47
hiya, like the socks :crazy:

haha think you've seen them before somewhere ;)

timmylish
10-06-2011, 23:29
Well, we are on contract for up to 10 Megs with Telefonica and to be fair we get between 6 and 8 Megs most of the time and sometimes more than 9 !
As I have stated on here four times over the last couple of days the situation, as reported by the Tenerife Cabildo to the Spanish Media is that the new cable is in situ, that more use will be made of it after September thru' to November of this year. The Granadilla Port area is to become a European Hub Project whereby this cable will open the door to Companies to offer substantially improved quality products, internet being one of them. As, again, I have said on here ONO.ES have already opened the door by undercutting any offers currently availble thru' Telefonica so go to ONO,s site and you will see all the offers. I am told that several other major players on the Peninsula have indicated that by the time November comes they will be able to offer products similar to those elsewhere in Europe.

chifleta
10-06-2011, 23:38
As I have stated on here four times over the last couple of days the situation,.

That told us then........... :raspberry2: ... sorry, we'll be more attentive next time LOL

Gfplux
11-06-2011, 13:36
Internet for holiday visitors has in the last two years become very important in choosing a destination to visit. If it were not for the Arab spring effect on bookings to the island, more pepole would be taking an interest in this third world problem in Tenerife.

9PLUS
11-06-2011, 13:46

After September 2011

TenerifeTeddy
12-06-2011, 15:54
I am currently investigating a new option of ADSL via Microwave dish, being offered by Navegatel. They have offered me 3mb for €29.50, & €90 installation and are supposed to be coming next week to do a reception test.

If they can supply the 3mb I will take it up, as it is double what I get at the moment, and it is only a 12 month contract.

In a years time, there might be other options available from the Fibre Optic link, and I can reassess it.

Well that was a waste of time and effort.???

Having blanket leafleted Callao Salvaje offering Microwave broadband, I arranged with Navegatel to come to my shop at 1630 on Saturday to carry out a reception test. Intially they just wanted me to sign up, but I refused without them proving they could deliver the 3Mb promised.

By 1715 they still hadnīt arrived, so I phoned the 902 number on their leaflet which goes to an office in the mainland. They then said they would contact the Tenerife office and get them to ring me.

At 1730 they rang me to tell me that at 1500, engineers had gone round Callao doing a test and couldnīt get any reception. So they couldnīt provide the service in my area. But they didnīt contact me - I had to chase them:doh::wall::smack:

Oh! , they MAY be able to provide coverage at some time in the future. :(.
Yet another company that canīt provide what they advertise and waste peoples time.:doh:

chifleta
12-06-2011, 15:59
But they didnīt contact me - I had to chase them:doh::wall::smack:

LOL sorry that made me chuckle...........ahhhhh I love Tenerife, it took me a longggg time, but I have the patience of a saint now .... you'd think some companies just don't want your business wouldn't you :-D

bachcarol
06-11-2012, 16:08
Where are you situated? I am in the south, Costa Del Silencio and can only get upto 3mbs (joke)

chifleta
06-11-2012, 20:58
Where are you situated? I am in the south, Costa Del Silencio and can only get upto 3mbs (joke)

if you get 3mbs in Silencio, think yourself lucky LOL i'm normally lucky to get 2 in Fraile... mind you, just to prove me wrong, the speednet test decided to give me a quicker speed tonight:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2290591674.png

but the other week I only got 1mbs - it's been cutting out the last few days too, but we don't expect anything less when it's rained a wee bit :D

BoPeep
07-11-2012, 10:41
I dont understand why we get 6 meg but a friend down the road only gets 3 on the same contract.

The only thing difference between us is we have a newer wire from the road to the house which I guess it could be??

kiwiphil
07-11-2012, 11:24
Hi all,

Here's an attempt to explain some of the questions raised above.

There are 3 main things that influence the speed of your internet connection.

First is the cable from your house to the telephone exchange. This is influenced by the quality of the cable, the number of joins in it, and the distance from the exchange. If you are more than 4km from the exchange, be pleased to get anything more than 1Mb/s. And at 7km, expect nothing.

Second is the equipment that provides the service in the exchange (DSLAM). In Tenerife it is "up to 10Mb/s" or "up to 4Mb/s", though faster services are available in other places in Spain so I'd expect to see them at some stage. Upgrading the exchange equipment is expensive, probably Ģ50k minimum. It always comes down to cost / benefit - will they recover the money spent on the upgrade with higher fees and more connections? Areas with higher population density usually stack up easier. ie; how many properties within 4km of the exchange.

And thirdly, there is the amount of capacity that your ISP (Internet provider) has for connecting you to the rest of the Internet. This is shared between all of their customers and it is highly contended (shared). For example, there might be 100 customers with 4Mb/s connections for every 100Mb/s that the ISP has. This is why things slow down at certain times, when everyone else is using the capacity, and why there are times when nothing seems to be happening.

This new cable that's being connected at some stage will NOT change 1 and 2 but hopefully it will allow ISPs to reduce the effects of 3 by making extra capacity cheaper for them to buy.

I hope that helps!

chifleta
07-11-2012, 13:39
Hi all,

Here's an attempt to explain some of the questions raised above.

There are 3 main things that influence the speed of your internet connection.

First is the cable from your house to the telephone exchange. This is influenced by the quality of the cable, the number of joins in it, and the distance from the exchange. If you are more than 4km from the exchange, be pleased to get anything more than 1Mb/s. And at 7km, expect nothing.

Second is the equipment that provides the service in the exchange (DSLAM). In Tenerife it is "up to 10Mb/s" or "up to 4Mb/s", though faster services are available in other places in Spain so I'd expect to see them at some stage. Upgrading the exchange equipment is expensive, probably Ģ50k minimum. It always comes down to cost / benefit - will they recover the money spent on the upgrade with higher fees and more connections? Areas with higher population density usually stack up easier. ie; how many properties within 4km of the exchange.

And thirdly, there is the amount of capacity that your ISP (Internet provider) has for connecting you to the rest of the Internet. This is shared between all of their customers and it is highly contended (shared). For example, there might be 100 customers with 4Mb/s connections for every 100Mb/s that the ISP has. This is why things slow down at certain times, when everyone else is using the capacity, and why there are times when nothing seems to be happening.

This new cable that's being connected at some stage will NOT change 1 and 2 but hopefully it will allow ISPs to reduce the effects of 3 by making extra capacity cheaper for them to buy.

I hope that helps!

thanks... it's made me think that I should buy a new cable for inside my apartment at least :) .... I live in Fraile, any idea how far away from the nearest exchange I am? ... it's funny, i had faster speed yesterday, but every 20 seconds it would cut out... today it's slower (less than 2mbs), but smooth running, hence I can watch online TV without it stopping every 20 seconds :)

timmylish
07-11-2012, 13:54
thanks... it's made me think that I should buy a new cable for inside my apartment at least :) .... I live in Fraile, any idea how far away from the nearest exchange I am? ... it's funny, i had faster speed yesterday, but every 20 seconds it would cut out... today it's slower (less than 2mbs), but smooth running, hence I can watch online TV without it stopping every 20 seconds :)

When you start with such a low speed any dense usage by other users results in further lower speeds. Fact of the matter and honestly there is nowt you can do about it other than to make sure you are not paying for higher speeds than can be achieved.

Greg
07-11-2012, 20:58
You should be able to get 10mb in Los Cris I would of thought, I get 10 mb and the exchange is nearer to you than me. Have you actually spoken to Telephonica? If so what did they say?

KirstyJay
08-11-2012, 13:56

You can find out how far you are from the exchange on this site : http://www.adslnet.es/distancia-adsl

chifleta
08-11-2012, 14:10
You should be able to get 10mb in Los Cris I would of thought, I get 10 mb and the exchange is nearer to you than me. Have you actually spoken to Telephonica? If so what did they say?

uffff I wouldn't speak to telefonica even if you paid me to LOL.... I spoke to Dial Direct recently and apparently 3mb is the norm for this area, to tell the truth it's probably to do with the cables more than anything, Fraile always are the last to get new stuff :(

I've just done another test and it's 3.3mb today woop woop, so that's pretty good.... I reckon it's like timmylicious says, when there are a lot of users too - i have heard even in mobile phone shop, that Fraile is a pretty crap area for internet and mobile signal (though i've never had probs with my mobile) ... I do think though, that the weather affects everything too over here ... we'll just have to live with it, I don't mind when I get the odd slow day, but I do get withdrawal symptons when it stops working all together LOL

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

You can find out how far you are from the exchange on this site : http://www.adslnet.es/distancia-adsl

thanks, it's Las Galletas, who'da thunk it was that close... :D