PDA

View Full Version : A question about import tax from overseas mail order

blue
06-02-2012, 21:35
Hi

I recently ordered a dress from the uk, I waited the days quoted on their conditions and terms page, but still did'nt receive my dress, I contacted the company, who then sent me a replayment dress,express my post,in the meantime I received a telephone call,saying the package had been stopped at customs,and to receive I had to pay about 30 euros. I contacted the telephone number they had left on my answer machine,gave the details to the person, who told me I would receive the dress within a couple of days,and within a couple of days I received the dress by courier,and paid the driver 23 euros,but also inside the parcel I found a invoice for 39 euros import tax,Today 4 days later I received a second dress by post,inside the parcel again was a invoice for 39euros for import Tax.OK I will be sending the second dress back to the company,but can someone advise what happens about these ivoces for import tax,surely I don't have to pay these,and if so who do I pay this to.Can anyone give me some advise on this issue.

Many thanks

Blue

cainaries
06-02-2012, 22:52
Lots of sympathy from me as have been down this route a couple of times and it's very irritating. You don't say which company you bought the dress off in the UK (and I'm not being nosy). As far as I can see it is completely random whether or not you get charged import taxes, delivery charges etc. First step might be to check and see what you have paid to the company in the UK? Did you pay P&P delivered to your front door?

When I had this problem with items ordered from M&S they washed their hands of the whole thing saying they only shipped to 'Spain' and if the Canaries chose to charge additional import taxes and delivery charges (even though I'd paid delivery charges with the online order) - well, that was up to them and Marks couldn't help. On the other hand loads of people order from Marks to the Canaries without any extra payments. The import charges you quote sound very hefty to me unless you have ordered a luxury item.

bonitatime
07-02-2012, 00:01
It is usually not the tax it is usually the processing charge. We pay about 30 euros processing on any import for the shop then the tax on top. If you are importing for a business you cost it into your prices if it is for an individual it's painful.
Try and insist you are sent stuff by post nor courier as even if you get caught for tax it is usually about 10 euros processing not 30

Vortex Wake
07-02-2012, 08:48
The op is also asking about the duty/tax/handling invoice charge for goods that are to be returned.

bonitatime
07-02-2012, 10:09
Can you scan a copy minus you details here or PM me a copy as if you haven't paid it till you got the goods it was probably paid the other end
Sorry for not reading more carefully the first time

julia44
23-05-2013, 14:05
Is it possible to find out before ordering something how much the taxes will be? The item is an engineering tool value about 1100GBP coming through parcel post from the UK.

TenerifeTeddy
23-05-2013, 14:29
You can definitely add 7% IGIC, after that there is usually an "administration fee", which varies depending on the value of the goods and which courier/postal service deals with the customs.
I had to pay €154 customs charges on an order valued at €2500, when IGIC was at 5%.

timmylish
23-05-2013, 16:07
Is it possible to find out before ordering something how much the taxes will be? The item is an engineering tool value about 1100GBP coming through parcel post from the UK.

Two suggestions. Get it hand delivered by someone coming here on holiday. If not find a shop which has their own containers coming here. You,ll save a small fortune! Also to reduce your hardship get the supplier to deduct UK VAT by giving them your NIE no. as proof or residence (I know, I know that,s not strictly true but a UK supplier does not know that!)

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 17:05
Same thing happened to us in the UK
Ordered two separate sets of curtains from USA via China. One package we had to pay customs duty on and the other we didn't??

julia44
24-05-2013, 16:03
Two suggestions. Get it hand delivered by someone coming here on holiday. If not find a shop which has their own containers coming here. You,ll save a small fortune! Also to reduce your hardship get the supplier to deduct UK VAT by giving them your NIE no. as proof or residence (I know, I know that,s not strictly true but a UK supplier does not know that!)

Thanks for that idea, I have put a notice on asking if anyone is driving here as the things weigh 15 - 18 KG. I will also try the shop idea.
The man in the UK has quoted the price minus VAT.