PDA

View Full Version : Health How can I claim back on prescriptions I've paid full-price for in Tenerife?

sunspot
07-02-2012, 23:52
Now John is out of hospital and being faced with a hugh bill each month for medication (18 euros a day just for one of the injections) hes decided that has he has been paying Social for years to sign on at the doctors in the Armenimi medical center,we have been told that all his medication will be reduced in price but also that he can claim back the money he had to spend on the medication last week,this was a shocking 1000 euros,(i nearly passed out when the chemist told him the bill) does anyone have any information on this?

Megaloo
08-02-2012, 11:06
Now John is out of hospital and being faced with a hugh bill each month for medication (18 euros a day just for one of the injections) hes decided that has he has been paying Social for years to sign on at the doctors in the Armenimi medical center,we have been told that all his medication will be reduced in price but also that he can claim back the money he had to spend on the medication last week,this was a shocking 1000 euros,(i nearly passed out when the chemist told him the bill) does anyone have any information on this?

All I can say when a friend of mine saw a Doctor privately she took her prescription to her Social Doctor and got the prescription free then(but she is a pensioner) also what she did pay for herself she kept the receipt and the chemist refunded her but she got a seperate prescription for that to be refunded. Hope that all makes sense

Cairo
08-02-2012, 14:37
I can only tell how this worked from my experience.

I was already registered with the social doctor and had been issued with prescriptions, my medication run out and because it was low value and I coulndn't really get the time to go to the doctor I went to the pharmacy and paid full price. When I next went to the doctor I had both the receipt and the origional box complete with the bar code (this is removed when it is a subsidised prescription) and he issued me with a prescription which he explained that if I took it, plus, I think it was only the box, back to the pharmacy they would give me a refund. It was the same pharmacy I returned to but I dont know if this matters.

slodgedad
09-02-2012, 00:24
Whenever you go to the farmacia for your prescription you must show your social card (doctor's registration) which is scanned along with the prescription which then automatically gives you the discount. (80% I think). It's unlike the UK system where there is a fixed price. Here you pay the cost less the Social discount, hence the latest purge making chemists supply generic drugs since the austerity moves. Winner all round as far as I'm concerned.

Government saves and so do we