PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Useful Information - Costs for excess baggage on flights when moving to Tenerife

clairesduddy
09-02-2012, 12:22
Good Morning All,

We are moving out to Tenerife this year and I thought that I would share some very useful information that I found out this morning.

We have been looking at freight costs and although we are sending the bulk of items by Sea Freight there are some key items that I want to take on the flight by booking excess baggage. I had spoken to several agents at Monarch and they all advised me that there are no options for baggage aside from the standard. The standard cost is £18.99 for 20 kilos but this cost goes up to £116 for 2 bags weighing up to 32 kilos (which is also the maximum you can take per person), working out at over £8 per kilo over and above 20 kilos :wow:

I have however, after some rife internet searching, found a cargo company that are aligned to Monarch, I spoke to a very helpful gentleman called Paul at TFA number 0845 680 9002. He advised me that they can arrange Air Freight (on the same flight as you) for £2.50 a kilo! They have a minimum spend of £120 but there is no limit to the amount you can take! :lol:

There are some complications involved in this option – I believe that you have to take the luggage and collect it from the freight drop off at the airports (I am awaiting further details) but it still looks to be a much better option if you want to take excess baggage with you on the flight.

I hope this is helpful

Claire

Brian
09-02-2012, 12:46
You need to check if there are additional charges from the freight handling companies at either end, I suspect there will be.

clairesduddy
09-02-2012, 13:02
Good point! Will do, thanks

ElaineTV
10-02-2012, 10:52
Good Morning All,

We are moving out to Tenerife this year and I thought that I would share some very useful information that I found out this morning.

We have been looking at freight costs and although we are sending the bulk of items by Sea Freight there are some key items that I want to take on the flight by booking excess baggage. I had spoken to several agents at Monarch and they all advised me that there are no options for baggage aside from the standard. The standard cost is £18.99 for 20 kilos but this cost goes up to £116 for 2 bags weighing up to 32 kilos (which is also the maximum you can take per person), working out at over £8 per kilo over and above 20 kilos :wow:

I have however, after some rife internet searching, found a cargo company that are aligned to Monarch, I spoke to a very helpful gentleman called Paul at TFA number 0845 680 9002. He advised me that they can arrange Air Freight (on the same flight as you) for £2.50 a kilo! They have a minimum spend of £120 but there is no limit to the amount you can take! :lol:

There are some complications involved in this option – I believe that you have to take the luggage and collect it from the freight drop off at the airports (I am awaiting further details) but it still looks to be a much better option if you want to take excess baggage with you on the flight.

I hope this is helpful

Claire

Very helpful info Claire, I will certainly be keeping this info handy!! :)

universal
10-02-2012, 15:03
Don't forget to factor in customs agents fees and import duty.
You will need N.I.E. and Hacienda bar codes as well as all other relevant documentation and translations.