PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Useful Information - Costs for excess baggage on flights when moving to Tenerife

clairesduddy
09-02-2012, 12:22
Good Morning All,

We are moving out to Tenerife this year and I thought that I would share some very useful information that I found out this morning.

We have been looking at freight costs and although we are sending the bulk of items by Sea Freight there are some key items that I want to take on the flight by booking excess baggage. I had spoken to several agents at Monarch and they all advised me that there are no options for baggage aside from the standard. The standard cost is 18.99 for 20 kilos but this cost goes up to 116 for 2 bags weighing up to 32 kilos (which is also the maximum you can take per person), working out at over 8 per kilo over and above 20 kilos :wow:

I have however, after some rife internet searching, found a cargo company that are aligned to Monarch, I spoke to a very helpful gentleman called Paul at TFA number 0845 680 9002. He advised me that they can arrange Air Freight (on the same flight as you) for 2.50 a kilo! They have a minimum spend of 120 but there is no limit to the amount you can take! :lol:

There are some complications involved in this option I believe that you have to take the luggage and collect it from the freight drop off at the airports (I am awaiting further details) but it still looks to be a much better option if you want to take excess baggage with you on the flight.

I hope this is helpful

Claire

Brian
09-02-2012, 12:46
You need to check if there are additional charges from the freight handling companies at either end, I suspect there will be.

clairesduddy
09-02-2012, 13:02
Good point! Will do, thanks

ElaineTV
10-02-2012, 10:52
Good Morning All,

We are moving out to Tenerife this year and I thought that I would share some very useful information that I found out this morning.

We have been looking at freight costs and although we are sending the bulk of items by Sea Freight there are some key items that I want to take on the flight by booking excess baggage. I had spoken to several agents at Monarch and they all advised me that there are no options for baggage aside from the standard. The standard cost is 18.99 for 20 kilos but this cost goes up to 116 for 2 bags weighing up to 32 kilos (which is also the maximum you can take per person), working out at over 8 per kilo over and above 20 kilos :wow:

I have however, after some rife internet searching, found a cargo company that are aligned to Monarch, I spoke to a very helpful gentleman called Paul at TFA number 0845 680 9002. He advised me that they can arrange Air Freight (on the same flight as you) for 2.50 a kilo! They have a minimum spend of 120 but there is no limit to the amount you can take! :lol:

There are some complications involved in this option – I believe that you have to take the luggage and collect it from the freight drop off at the airports (I am awaiting further details) but it still looks to be a much better option if you want to take excess baggage with you on the flight.

I hope this is helpful

Claire

Very helpful info Claire, I will certainly be keeping this info handy!! :)

universal
10-02-2012, 15:03
Don't forget to factor in customs agents fees and import duty.
You will need N.I.E. and Hacienda bar codes as well as all other relevant documentation and translations.