PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite cold remedy?

Jackie
10-06-2011, 13:41
What are peoples best cold remedies?

I know there is no cure for the common cold but there are things that can ease the symptoms.

I was 'struck' down with a cold on Wednesday, felt fine in the morning then started getting a sore throat and by the evening it had well and truly took hold. I can't remember the last time I had a cold but this has really knocked me for six, couldn't even lift my head off the pillow for most of yesterday.

So far I have been having fresh lemon and honey in hot water along with Paracetamol, and to be honest it is not even shifting the headache, let alone easing the throat and nose :(

What are other peoples cure or kill remedies?

Malteser Monkey
10-06-2011, 14:33
Squeeze a lemon and orange into a glass, honey, add a little blackcurrant squash, brandy and hot water

try it Jackie if nowt else you'll have a good night's sleep

Bazz
10-06-2011, 16:13
Large measure of hot whisky with lemon and cloves.

Sylla
10-06-2011, 17:14
What are peoples best cold remedies?

I know there is no cure for the common cold but there are things that can ease the symptoms.

I was 'struck' down with a cold on Wednesday, felt fine in the morning then started getting a sore throat and by the evening it had well and truly took hold. I can't remember the last time I had a cold but this has really knocked me for six, couldn't even lift my head off the pillow for most of yesterday.

So far I have been having fresh lemon and honey in hot water along with Paracetamol, and to be honest it is not even shifting the headache, let alone easing the throat and nose :(

What are other peoples cure or kill remedies?

Chicken soup ! and good for lots of other ailments ...the secret is a substance called proline, which is found in collagen, the connective tissue that is dissolved when carcasses are boiled to make broth ...look it up on the net .....I read about it in the news paper back in 2003 .......... and it is so soothing , when you feel so rotten .....

Zara
10-06-2011, 17:36
There is no cure for the common cold. There are medicines you can take to alleviate the symptoms but a cold has to run its course. So you may as well pick something you like the taste of like a double whiskey or brandy at least you will enjoy it.:eyebrows:

onelegnofeet
10-06-2011, 17:49
A cuddle off me dear old mum would surfice !!!!

Jackie
10-06-2011, 18:06
OK let me see if I have got this right... I need to drink fresh lemon and orange with honey and blackcurrant in some hot water, then Brandy, then Whiskey, maybe if I sober enough I can then make some chicken soup and if not OLNF mum will give me a cuddle:lol::lol:

Thanks guys:drinking:

Sylla
10-06-2011, 18:49
believe me Jackie ..... may be the chicken soup won't exactly cure it ....but I know when I go down that route , my cold is gone much quicker ....and it is so soothing for your throat .....then at bed time ... hot whisky honey and lemon .....:nurse2:

DaveRF
10-06-2011, 19:02
"First Defence" at the very first sniffle or sneeze usually works for me and stops a cold in it's tracks.

reggie
10-06-2011, 19:05
A young sexy rampant bird, stay in bed 2 days, then a full english, and a nice cup of tea,

canarybird
10-06-2011, 19:08
Get lots of sleep, keep warm and drink plenty of liquids. Avoid alcohol if using antihistamines.

Canarybird

markcuk
10-06-2011, 19:10
lemon and honey in hot water (dont think it works though):doh:

poshbird22
10-06-2011, 19:15
Take Ibuprofen 400mg 6 hourly as well as the Paracetamol 4 hourly. Keep on with the honey and lemon. Hope you feel better soon

Malteser Monkey
10-06-2011, 21:22
OK let me see if I have got this right... I need to drink fresh lemon and orange with honey and blackcurrant in some hot water, then Brandy, then Whiskey, maybe if I sober enough I can then make some chicken soup and if not OLNF mum will give me a cuddle:lol::lol:

Thanks guys:drinking:

Yeap or I'll send my mum over

A young sexy rampant bird, stay in bed 2 days, then a full english, and a nice cup of tea,

chicken not a **** reggie !! oh dear

oops I've been **** I meant the male chicken nowt else

with cheese
10-06-2011, 21:29
Bottle of XO brandy, good session, pair of kippers then a workout.

Or something that does work, stick diving gear on, go below 1 atmosphere and surface as quick as possible. Snot everywhere, sinuses blown out fab.

dokgolf
10-06-2011, 21:30
Hot whiskey with lemon honey and cloves. must be very hot to dissolve the honey. It probably wont cure the cold but will definitely make you feel better!!:crossfingers:

Jackie
10-06-2011, 21:31

for some reason reggie this doesn't quite do it for me:lol:

DaveRF
10-06-2011, 21:34
for some reason reggie this doesn't quite do it for me:lol:

Nor me surprisingly :eyebrows:

ali marshall
10-06-2011, 21:38
Beer stops the nose running.Went out many nights when i was younger when i had a cold and felt better after a few lol

Jackie
10-06-2011, 21:42
Beer stops the nose running.Went out many nights when i was younger when i had a cold and felt better after a few lol

Any excuse for you to drink a beer lol. To be honest I can't even eat that much, throat is so sore. Can imagine the state of me with no food and all the alcohol I have been recommended haha

with cheese
10-06-2011, 22:07
Nor me surprisingly :eyebrows:

Nor me, rather have Kippers.

cainaries
10-06-2011, 22:16
All that booze mixed with ibuprofen and paracetamol, Jackie, and you probably won't even remember you've got a cold. Gargling with TCP might help the sore throat.

A new favourite for me is something called 'mucosan retard' which I really find helps clear catarrh. You can get whoever is running about and looking after you to fetch you some from the farmacia - you don't need a prescription.

Don't suppose you can get Stones Ginger Wine in Tenerife. Not even sure you can get it at all nowadays. I think the mix was half and half with whisky.

You can also try ... a split of champagne with ginger biscuits dunked in it. Lavish but I felt so much better afterwards I didn't care about the cost.

with cheese
10-06-2011, 22:19
Ok then.................real way from home ingredients. Warm lemon water and honey, dunk some whole grain wheat crackers, these contain Tryptophan, ammino's. Have a drink that contains a high magnesium yeast extract. You then have a natural sedative and a natural sleep aid. If yo an bear it mix a little bit of turmeric into the yeast extract as this is a natural pain killer.
On waking in the morning immediately have a strong caffeine fix and a high protein and vitamin breakfast.
Job done

slodgedad
10-06-2011, 22:24
An old pit remedy that I was given (it works) Is boil a couple of large large onions til soft, mash it all up and drink/ eat the lot.

You stink like an otter for a day after, but it works.

Tojack
10-06-2011, 22:27
Get that log burner and stay warm.

DaveRF
10-06-2011, 22:31
Back in the olden days when I had cold my Grannie used to boil black bullet sweets in vinegar until they dissolved and made me drink the mixture. It didn't help but it proved she could be vindictive at times.

cainaries
10-06-2011, 22:33
Back in the olden days when I had cold my Grannie used to boil black bullet sweets in vinegar until they dissolved and made me drink the mixture. It didn't help but it proved she could be vindictive at times.
That sounds absolutely disgusting.

DaveRF
10-06-2011, 22:34
That sounds absolutely disgusting.

It was...... ;)

with cheese
10-06-2011, 22:36
You allowed to say Black bullet sweets, oops wrong thread.

canarygetaway
10-06-2011, 22:51
Try tea with Ron Miel and a spoon of honey, it always works for me.

marbro8
10-06-2011, 22:55
Chicken soup ! and good for lots of other ailments ...the secret is a substance called proline, which is found in collagen, the connective tissue that is dissolved when carcasses are boiled to make broth ...look it up on the net .....I read about it in the news paper back in 2003 .......... and it is so soothing , when you feel so rotten .....you are joking already!!!(jewish saying) lol i find lemsip extra max with 6 double soco's and a morphine patch!! what cold?

Jackie
10-06-2011, 23:05
you are joking already!!!(jewish saying) lol i find lemsip extra max with 6 double soco's and a morphine patch!! what cold?

Actually Marbro I make Lockshen Soup (Jewish Recipe), think it sweats it out of you lol

Well I am off to bed now, just got to pour me a Brandy a Whiskey and mash up some Onions and I should be sorted:lol::lol:

slodgedad
10-06-2011, 23:19
Actually Marbro I make Lockshen Soup (Jewish Recipe), think it sweats it out of you lol

Well I am off to bed now, just got to pour me a Brandy a Whiskey and mash up some Onions and I should be sorted:lol::lol:

I know it sounds like a joke but it's not.

Tastes vile, even if you are an onion eater, but it really does work.

marbro8
10-06-2011, 23:31
I know it sounds like a joke but it's not.

Tastes vile, even if you are an onion eater, but it really does work.not realy slodge i can eat onions like apples!!! honest

slodgedad
10-06-2011, 23:33
not realy slodge i can eat onions like apples!!! honest

If you do , I bet you don't get many colds.

onelegnofeet
11-06-2011, 11:20
An old pit remedy that I was given (it works) Is boil a couple of large large onions til soft, mash it all up and drink/ eat the lot.

You stink like an otter for a day after, but it works.

And no one comes near enough to you to .................pass on the cold !!!
Bet you eat Jam and Cheese sarnies too Pit Moggy

Lynne & Lee
11-06-2011, 11:30
Peel a potato cut into chunks, 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar sprinkled on top ,leave until runny juice has formed in bottom of dish ...drink the juice do the same again when potato starts to go discoloured peel another one add sugar again ...I had a terrible sore throat and cough ...it worked for me ...old wives tail ....YOU DONT KNOW TILL YOU TRY IT :reading:

onelegnofeet
11-06-2011, 11:44
Peel a potato cut into chunks, 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar sprinkled on top ,leave until runny juice has formed in bottom of dish ...drink the juice do the same again when potato starts to go discoloured peel another one add sugar again ...I had a terrible sore throat and cough ...it worked for me ...old wives tail ....YOU DONT KNOW TILL YOU TRY IT :reading:

You know some funny old wives ...........TAIL !!! is she pre op ??? (tale)lol

That would be Starch and sugar ? takes all sorts

Zara
11-06-2011, 17:44

I thought raw potato was toxic? As for making soup from a chicken carcass the last thing I want to do when feeling ill is stand over a hot stove - I'll stick with the whiskey and honey :lol:

Sylla
11-06-2011, 18:33
I wouldn't dream of asking any one to stand over a hot stove while they felt ill .....do you not have any one who could pamper you LOL ! :eyebrows:

http://foodsthatheal.blogspot.com/2008/01/chicken-soup.html

Suej
11-06-2011, 18:36
Go to bed and sweat it out!!!! youŽll have to use your imagination!:devil:

Sylla
11-06-2011, 19:30
I should think atleast by now Jackie , if you have been taking all this stuff recommended by us ,,, you should be better now ...or you will never ask our advice again :help::drinking::stars::cold::jumping:

onelegnofeet
11-06-2011, 21:19
Shes feeling FOWL ............something to do with Chicken soup !!!!

Jackie
11-06-2011, 23:12
Well I stuck with the lemon and honey in hot water and had a nice drop of Brandy before bed and I have to say I did feel much better this morning. At least human enough to go out today. Feeling a bit rough now but I think colds are always like that, worse first thing in the morning and at night

Lynne & Lee my nan used to tell us to cut a potato into chips and stick one up each nostril to relieve the soreness of constantly wiping your nose:lol::lol: Can't say I have ever tried it so wouldn't know if it worked.

used2bTurner
11-06-2011, 23:34
moan and groan til hubby insists i have a drink of whisky or 4

Jackie
11-06-2011, 23:37
moan and groan til hubby insists i have a drink of whisky or 4

haha doesn't matter how much I moan and groan, hubby is in the UK at the moment and the kids, well what can I say lol

used2bTurner
11-06-2011, 23:42
haha doesn't matter how much I moan and groan, hubby is in the UK at the moment and the kids, well what can I say lol

You will have to pour your own then, i feel sorry for you..lol

SuzyQ
12-06-2011, 00:36
My Nana used to melt butter, sugar and vinegar in a dish by the fire. Absolutely disgusting :( Dont know whether it worked, felt too sick to care.

I too have the dreaded lurgy, even cancelled work tonight and thats not me. I could cope with the cold but this sore throat is horrendous. Took mysekf up to the 24 hour health centre in Granadilla today, and the Doc confirmed badly inflammed throat. Has given me penicillin, something called Stop Cold which is some kind of time release decongestant, and an anti inflammatory, Ibrufen type powder. One of them is causing drowsyness, need to read and find out which, as will be no good when I go back to work. Will let you know how I get on. I have to be careful with decongestants as they can make my heart race, Flumil does this, and Dodo Chestease tablets, remember them? Looks like the Stop Cold is ok for me.
If I didnt have these Id be taking Lemsip max strength, and Covonia. Get well soon Jackie, its a bugger this one. :)

slodgedad
12-06-2011, 00:45
My Nana used to melt butter, sugar and vinegar in a dish by the fire. Absolutely disgusting :( Dont know whether it worked, felt too sick to care.

I too have the dreaded lurgy, even cancelled work tonight and thats not me. I could cope with the cold but this sore throat is horrendous. Took mysekf up to the 24 hour health centre in Granadilla today, and the Doc confirmed badly inflammed throat. Has given me penicillin, something called Stop Cold which is some kind of time release decongestant, and an anti inflammatory, Ibrufen type powder. One of them is causing drowsyness, need to read and find out which, as will be no good when I go back to work. Will let you know how I get on. I have to be careful with decongestants as they can make my heart race, Flumil does this, and Dodo Chestease tablets, remember them? Looks like the Stop Cold is ok for me.
If I didnt have these Id be taking Lemsip max strength, and Covonia. Get well soon Jackie, its a bugger this one. :)

Bloody hell, Sue. You must feel bad to cancel. I know you.

Hope you feel better tomorrow...Try the onion remedy. Tony won't talk to you for a day, but hey ho..:hole:

Jackie
12-06-2011, 11:38

Suzy my sore throat eased after the first couple of days, which I think was down to the fresh lemon juice and honey in hot water which I have been having 4 or 5 times every day. Try it, it is actually very soothing on the throat. I have also been taking Ibuprofen in the sachet, 650mg ones, so good and strong which the doctor actually gave my daughter for migraines, again they have been helping with the headaches which normal Paracetamol just wouldn't shift. The next thing to come out of the medicine box will be Sinutab. That is the one thing I always make sure I have because the last stages of any cold I get is always really painful sinuses. As you say this one is definately a bugger, I have never had a cold that has actually laid me up, us women normally just get on with things:lol: Also don't be fooled into thinking you feel better too soon. I went out yesterday because I actually felt a bit more human apart from the snotty nose:lol: but it has really taken it out of me. Today I feel like I am back to square one.