PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experience of an MRI/CT Scan in Tenerife?

Zara
10-02-2012, 19:30
Has anyone had an MRI scan and can you tell me how it went.

I am assuming it can be done in Las Americas rather than travel to Santa Cruz, is this correct?

It would also be useful if you have had a scan in the UK to say how they compare.

Thanks in advance.

Megaloo
10-02-2012, 19:54

I am assuming it can be done in Las Americas rather than travel to Santa Cruz, is this correct?

It would also be useful if you have had a scan in the UK to say how they compare.

Thanks in advance.

I had one in Santa Cruz it is a bit closter phobic but otherwise OK, I know they now have a new one there since I had mine, staff very nice and kind and put you at your ease. Not had one in England so cannot compare.

garlicbread
10-02-2012, 19:55
I have had one in Hospiten Sur courtesy of the Social Health System, my wife has had one in Candelaria Hospital Santa Cruz on the Social Health system and one in Hospiten Las Ramblas (same group as Hospiten Sur) in Santa Cruz. The latter cost €632

carolethatch
10-02-2012, 20:24
Have had loads of MRIs, in lots of different machines, but the more modern ones don't give you so much of a closed in feeling. It is very noisy and they usually give you earphones with music, but on the NHS just era plugs. nothing to worry about, and I have been known to nearly nod off.

Zara
10-02-2012, 20:29
Thanks for the input, not frightened just wonder if they are on a par with those in the UK, it would seem that if they have the latest equipment here then they probably are.

So GB if you had one in Hospiten Sur I presume if you are paying you can choose where you have it. Do they have the latest equipment too?

Ecky Thump
10-02-2012, 20:35
I have had several MRI scans done in the UK for both multiple fractures of my spine and also one for a bleed on the brain, at no time did was there any discomfort. I have also had a CT scan with no problems, I was told the advantage of the MRI was that it showed more detail and the advantage of the CT scan is that I was able to stay hooked up to other hospital equipment.

tonypub
10-02-2012, 20:38
had a private one done in las americas,opposite iceland,was 500 bucks.nothin to worry about and top notch equiptment

doreen
10-02-2012, 20:41
I had a MRI scan for my knee in Artovision in PDLA - 3 years ago - 199 euros ... not as new a machine as in Dublin where it cost 400 plus euros a few years earlier :)

primrose
10-02-2012, 21:08
I had a MRI scan for my knee in Artovision in PDLA - 3 years ago - 199 euros ... not as new a machine as in Dublin where it cost 400 plus euros a few years earlier :)

Had a Brain Scan at Artrovision last October, took 20 minutes and was 185 Euros.I have to have another scan this time done on the Social Health System but they have said it will be done at a Private Hospital as there is a long waiting list at Candeleria.

DOREEN QUINN
11-02-2012, 00:53
Have had 2 in Green Clinic on Social, found it claustrophobic and an OPEN one in Puerto de la Cruz, still on social which was fine, nothing to worry about.

Ian_N
11-02-2012, 02:37
Is it down to money. Give it all away to be healthy. Got my scan for such a such give all my money away cos cant take it with yeh. x

timmylish
11-02-2012, 02:44
I have had 2 at the San Eugenio Clinic (Private), 7 in the Green Clinic (2 Private & 5 on the Social) and finally 2 in University Hospital in Santa Cruz. The machine in the Green Clinic I used (I think there are 2) is quite noisy (the sound of cutlery being tossed about in a pillowcase for 20 mins) can be unnerving the first time but in reality its OK although quite closed in.tbh. don,t remember the San Eugenio one 'cause I was in a coma following my stroke! Candelaria was OK. No probs in any Zara. One thing is very important. Throughout the 20 mins. you MUST stay very still.

Zara
11-02-2012, 10:38
Thank you all so much for your reassurance, even IanN who I totally agree with, health is more important than wealth, but I do know lots of people donīt think like that.

Never having to visit a hospital since living here it is reassuring to know they are as good as those in the UK, probably better as you are less likely to come out with more than you went in with !!!

Megaloo
11-02-2012, 11:17
Thank you all so much for your reassurance, even IanN who I totally agree with, health is more important than wealth, but I do know lots of people donīt think like that.

Never having to visit a hospital since living here it is reassuring to know they are as good as those in the UK, probably better as you are less likely to come out with more than you went in with !!!

This is very true, I found the cleanliness really good, bedlinen changed daily, where as a friend in England had to beg clean cheets after a week??!!! Sorry gone off topic now.

stevem
13-02-2012, 10:27
To be fair I was more worried what the results of my MRI would reveal.. Once in there it was just very boring and hard to stay still. On leaving hospital in the UK I did indeed come out with more than I went in. A dose of Novo virus......................which was nice!

maxieboy
13-02-2012, 12:19
To be fair I was more worried what the results of my MRI would reveal.. Once in there it was just very boring and hard to stay still. On leaving hospital in the UK I did indeed come out with more than I went in. A dose of Novo virus......................which was nice! Do you mean Norovirus ?

stevem
13-02-2012, 15:15
Yes sorry, typo! :lol:

maxieboy
13-02-2012, 15:16
Yes sorry, typo! :lol: I just thought it was something else i had to worry about LOL

stevem
13-02-2012, 15:46
:scared: oh god, hope I haven't just invented a new flesh eater!!! Noro was bad enough!!!!

Goldenmaniac
13-02-2012, 18:17
I had a contrast TAC (CAT) scan of the abdomen at Hospiten Sur under the social system because it was an emergency. That wasn't claustrophobic because it never went past my chest.
Depending on what you are having done your head doesn't even go through and the ones in Santa Cruz La Candelaria are even more modern from what I've seen whilst interpreting for others.
You should have received a consent form to sign which lays out exactly what you are having and why - that should give you a bit more info to go on

maxieboy
14-02-2012, 16:16

Thanks in advance. I have had MRI scans in Tenerife and England, they was no difference in my opinion, However i had problems in both countries inasmuch as i am not average size , around 23 stone, and on both occasions
Iwas given appointments at facilities with a machine for fatties like me LOL max

LarryMBone
25-02-2012, 13:13
Had a Brain Scan at Artrovision last October, took 20 minutes and was 185 Euros.Private Hospital as there is a long waiting list at Candeleria.the advantage of the MRI was that it showed more detail and the advantage of the CT scan is that I was able to stay hooked up to other hospital equipment.

Zara
25-02-2012, 13:58
I have had several MRI scans done in the UK for both multiple fractures of my spine and also one for a bleed on the brain, at no time did was there any discomfort. I have also had a CT scan with no problems, I was told the advantage of the MRI was that it showed more detail and the advantage of the CT scan is that I was able to stay hooked up to other hospital equipment.

Had a Brain Scan at Artrovision last October, took 20 minutes and was 185 Euros.I have to have another scan this time done on the Social Health System but they have said it will be done at a Private Hospital as there is a long waiting list at Candeleria.

Had a Brain Scan at Artrovision last October, took 20 minutes and was 185 Euros.Private Hospital as there is a long waiting list at Candeleria.the advantage of the MRI was that it showed more detail and the advantage of the CT scan is that I was able to stay hooked up to other hospital equipment.

Welcome to the forum Larry, I am glad you had identical experiences as both Ecky and Primrose, so everything went well which is good as New York seems a long way to come for a scan.

Now you wouldnīt just be a troll coming on to the forum to get people to click your signature link would you ?? :laugh:

caroledowner
26-04-2012, 09:18
hi has anybody had a cat scan in tenerife at the green hospital or any other private clinic, i have had an ultra sound which cost 100 euros but it gave limited results. i know a c/t scan is more expensive but has anybody had one here in the last 2 years where and how much are the costs,
i dont have private insurance as i am not a resident here and in the uk i would either have to wait 3 months on the national health min or pay Ģ2000 privately many thanks for any info

s1monsg
26-04-2012, 09:51
I've seen a thread about this before, but from memory the op was talking about Candelaria, although I think the discussion went on about other hospitals. Have a search for CT scan, I'm sure it'll be there. Good luck with it as well.

Added after 31 minutes:

Sorry my fault, I've just come onto my computer and searched for it for you, but found that it was actually an MRI scan that was discussed. Here's the link anyway (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?13632-Has-anyone-had-experience-of-an-MRI-Scan-in-Tenerife&highlight=scan#es), just in case reading through it answers your questions. By the way, I am no doctor, so MRI and CT may or may not be the same, but anyway, I hope it helps.

Sundowner
26-04-2012, 10:33
C.T. Scans are not Ģ2000 in the U.K. I have attached a link for you.....http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/private-healthcare-services/diagnostic-imaging/ct-scans/ct-scan-prices/ Best of luck.

garlicbread
26-04-2012, 10:46
Thanks for the input, not frightened just wonder if they are on a par with those in the UK, it would seem that if they have the latest equipment here then they probably are.

So GB if you had one in Hospiten Sur I presume if you are paying you can choose where you have it. Do they have the latest equipment too?

Sorry for the delay in replying but my scan at Hospiten Sur was provided by the Social Health Service so no idea of the cost involved. I'm no expert but the equipment at Hospiten Sur, whilst obviously older (to a layman's eyes) than that in Candelaria, did the job.

willowlily
28-06-2012, 17:20

i have tried to phone artrovision in cc president pdla but no reply does anyone know if they are still there or is today a local holiday

willowlily
29-06-2012, 11:36

still trying to find out if artrovision is still at c/c presidente pdla any help would be appreciated

nicki
30-06-2012, 11:20
hi,

atrovision is still in the cc where upstairs you have bar las vegas , i think the name is presidente ,.not so far from iceland in playa las am.
open on monday, wednesday, friday from 9 till 1 or 2 , good luck with it