PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to hire a car?

wendle
12-02-2012, 11:41
Hi, I am coming to Tenerife in a couple of weeks and staying in golf del sur, my question is do I really need to hire a car or can I navigate around the island easily by busses? I am probably going to stay around the south of the island
For example I want to travel from golf del sur to Adeje would this be possible by using the bus service? Thanks in advance for any information.

megsdad
12-02-2012, 12:10
Hi, I am coming to Tenerife in a couple of weeks and staying in golf del sur, my question is do I really need to hire a car or can I navigate around the island easily by busses? I am probably going to stay around the south of the island
For example I want to travel from golf del sur to Adeje would this be possible by using the bus service? Thanks in advance for any information.
Lets get ready to rumble!!! In the red corner all the peoplle who dislike Golf del sur and will tell you of hurricane winds(not a breath todayBTW) and low flying deafening jets(not a one heard all morning)
In the blue corner people who like the golf, not a PR in site (try walking through los chris or PDLA without somebody bothering you) its cleanliness, choice of bars and restaurants, and its very good bus connections heading North or South!!
The buses are frequent and reasonably priced, buy a bono ticket for multiple journeys to save a couple of quid. Hiring a car, wherever you are staying will give you more flexibility and if you want to discover the "real" Tenerife (whatever that is) then a car is beneficial, however if its just coastal runs along TF1 you wont need it.
See you in Scruffy Macs bar, middle square, CC San Blas, buy me a pint, Iīm the little fat fellah on the mobility scooter!!

carolethatch
12-02-2012, 12:39
We go everywhere by bus, but it does help that we are not far from the main bus station in Los Cristianos. You might have to get a bus into L.C. to go to some places, as not all buses go through Golf Del Sur. in fact I find it quite isolated for sightseeing.

Jackie
12-02-2012, 13:20
Also if you are taking the bus in the evenings be sure to check what time the last one runs..you may well end up paying more in cab fares home than it would to hire a small car.

junglejim
12-02-2012, 13:28
Also if you are taking the bus in the evenings be sure to check what time the last one runs..you may well end up paying more in cab fares home than it would to hire a small car.
Yes as above check before you go
WWW.Titsa.com
Buses to main areas of island are reliable - you can navigate around the whole island by bus in a day stopping off at various places for abot €15 each with bono - highly recommended !

primrose
12-02-2012, 13:34
Would definitely hire a car the buses aren't that frequent from the golf 483 that goes to Los Christianos is roughly every 2 Hours and the 470 which is the most boring bus journey ever takes about 45 mins and is about once every hour. A taxi is about 18 Euros but you will be charged different every time you get one. As Jackie says be careful about the time of the last bus they don't run late to the Golf.

polremy
12-02-2012, 14:03
Yes as above check before you go
WWW.Titsa.com
Buses to main areas of island are reliable - you can navigate around the whole island by bus in a day stopping off at various places for abot €15 each with bono - highly recommended !

Hey, that sounds like a good challenge.
Can you give us some sort of itinerary, por favor?
Really would like to do that if it is possible.

Greg
12-02-2012, 14:44
If you get a car I think you will get far more enjoyment as you will probably find yourselves exploring off the beaten track and seeing places you wouldn't normally discover. There are so many secluded coves/beaches and mountain villages with great views and affordable restaurants with local dishes. If the weather is poor (again) you will never get bored mooching around the island and exploring. Besides that public transport is sooo er... common! :hide:

Vortex Wake
12-02-2012, 14:54
As before, the buses are great fun, and as stated, you do get to meet real locals - not just ex-pats on the buses.

My videos below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmiaiCvsnwQ&list=UUkes8jJ-rpv6s6O21tjTdAg&index=29&feature=plcp

However, as Greg says, a car gets to to those place the bus can't at times to suit you .....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryznKsHvcM

junglejim
12-02-2012, 17:07
Hey, that sounds like a good challenge.
Can you give us some sort of itinerary, por favor?
Really would like to do that if it is possible.
Route then bus number
PDLA - Icod de los Vinos 460 Nice restaurants in old part at Dragon tree level for lunch
Icod- Puerto DeLa Cruz 363 &others
Puerto - Santa Cruz 103
Santa Cruz- PDLA 110/111
Also options from Puerto to La Orotova then Santa Cruz, tram from Santa Cruz to La Laguna ( 25 mins)
Just check times on Titsa.com to co-ordinate your staying times and departure !:D

polremy
12-02-2012, 17:15
Hey - thanks.
It's on our to-do list now.
Will start off with the 483 from the Golf to PDLA at 9.15.
I like a challenge.

Sundowner
12-02-2012, 17:41
Or you could stay in Los Cristianos..........No HURRICANE Force winds.......No low flying Aircraft with their noise and smell of aviation gas.......you would not have to worry about the last bus home and if you want to take a bus ride you have the bus station located there........what more can you want+it's warmer in Los Cristianos:D

megsdad
12-02-2012, 19:11
We go everywhere by bus, but it does help that we are not far from the main bus station in Los Cristianos. You might have to get a bus into L.C. to go to some places, as not all buses go through Golf Del Sur. in fact I find it quite isolated for sightseeing.
And the 1st point goes to the red corner!!!LOL

Added after 10 minutes:

Or you could stay in Los Cristianos..........No HURRICANE Force winds.......No low flying Aircraft with their noise and smell of aviation gas.......you would not have to worry about the last bus home and if you want to take a bus ride you have the bus station located there........what more can you want+it's warmer in Los Cristianos:D
Ooh and a low blow from the red corner negates their point, the golf is certainly warmer than London as it has been for the last 19 years that I HAVE LIVED HERE, and never accosted in the street by psuedo cockney kids pushing everything from dodgy cafes to drugs!! Is that a low blow from the blues???lol

delderek
12-02-2012, 19:32
And the 1st point goes to the red corner!!!LOL

Added after 10 minutes:

Ooh and a low blow from the red corner negates their point, the golf is certainly warmer than London as it has been for the last 19 years that I HAVE LIVED HERE, and never accosted in the street by psuedo cockney kids pushing everything from dodgy cafes to drugs!! Is that a low blow from the blues???lol

Bet you've got a car though, and don't rely on buses. Bet you've also got a nice thick fleece, and just maybe a pair of sound cancelling headphones. No PR's, of course not, they know when they are beaten.:whistle:

primrose
12-02-2012, 19:37
But there are PR's on the Golf.

Sundowner
12-02-2012, 21:15
1st I object to being in the RED corner........or anything RED........If I am not in the BLUE corner I will take my ball home:redcard:
I hear it can be quite dangerous walking around there............it has been known for people to fall down holes and break their leg:bootyshake:

megsdad
12-02-2012, 21:23
Bet you've got a car though, and don't rely on buses. Bet you've also got a nice thick fleece, and just maybe a pair of sound cancelling headphones. No PR's, of course not, they know when they are beaten.:whistle:
Iīll take that bet at any odds you want, disabled mate, canīt drive and in my adapted villa in a flat area with pavements you can walk on donīt need to, show me an area or resort that can offer a disabled person that in LA or LC, donīt need headphones , simple research when purchasing meant my home is disturbed by the occasional woosh of the waves at the front of my home

angeldrawers
14-02-2012, 14:16
I feel so sorry for those trying to sell their properties on the Golf when they read these scaremongering comments usually made by the same few people.Its one thing to give your opinion of an area its quite another to slate it in such a vehement manner.I very nearly was put off even looking there because of what i had read on the forums.Im glad i had a look for myself as we found a fantastic place,great dog walking,convienient for airport (,yes aircraft noise but not enough to put us off) no steep hills , las chafiras with all the commerce that you need is only a couple of mins away.I just dont understand why the Golf always gets the brunt of the insults.Green eyed monster perhaps ?

dotty1
14-02-2012, 14:44
I like the Golf, OK we do get a little wind but think of the summer with a nice breeze, very few lucky lucky men, no timeshare pushers, you can walk down the street without being accosted. Horses for course, we don!t want everybody coming to live here we would end up like LA & LC. I do like a visit there, but am always glad to get back to the peace and quiet and not walking with another 300 people. Let people say what they like it does!nt suit everybody.

Tom & Sharon
14-02-2012, 14:56
Would definitely hire a car the buses aren't that frequent from the golf 483 that goes to Los Christianos is roughly every 2 Hours and the 470 which is the most boring bus journey ever takes about 45 mins and is about once every hour. A taxi is about 18 Euros but you will be charged different every time you get one. As Jackie says be careful about the time of the last bus they don't run late to the Golf.

If you are a 'night owl' you can visit L/C and PDLA and catch the bus that runs to the airport approx every two hrs after 12.00am. (not sure of the number?)
It stops at the 'top' of the golf at Las Chafiras and you can get a taxi from the Disa garage down on to the golf for approx 5 euros.

We've never done this ourselves :whistle: ;)

karinagal
14-02-2012, 15:09

Please do come back and let us know how you get on. If you do decide to hire a car, there are a few car hire places on the golf. Sometimes if we have guests with us, we pick up a hire car from the excursion place at the bottom of Aguamarina hotel facing the water.. They sometimes do a deal where you can pick up a car for 4 days for the price of 3 - @99€. They're a bit battered but that means they're not worried about little scratches etc. There is also a car hire place along the top road at the back of Winter Gardens.

I hope you have a great holiday!

Karina
:D :p :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk