PDA

View Full Version : Should people be educated how to look after animals in Tenerife?

Margaretta
12-02-2012, 13:31
Well I do hope I won't be in the doghouse or setting the cat among the pigeons or be considered one to rabbit on or tweet too often, but I've been thinking about this for a long time and wonder what you all think.

Many of my Forum and Facebook friends are animal lovers to the point where they support wholeheartedly the various causes in Tenerife and probably in the UK. Personally I would rather give donations to 'people causes', but that does not detract from my huge admiration for all the animal charity supporters here. It is inspiring to see all the hard work which goes into the care, advertising, re-homing of animals and great efforts and sincerity which abound.

Where I have some reservations is that I feel that the root of the problem is education. People who neglect or abandon their dogs need encouragement to think first before they acquire an animal and there needs to be a big input into the idea of care and consideration for others.

In many areas of Tenerife and indeed in mainland Spain, UK etc. there is a problem with dogs barking too frequently or even continually because they are left for long periods, dogs living on small balconies, wild dogs from the mountains (very fierce!), dogs allowed to soil pavements, run wild or left chained in empty areas; cats are allowed to be wild too and increase and multiply. Some Forum members are doing stirring work to help here.

I would like to see money spent on a big TV advertising campaign to show how to care for animals, consider others around you, how to use pooper-scoopers and where to buy them and the work of the charities etc. Advertising will reach millions and may have some good effect ultimately. It's no use saying "It's not in the culture" ...common sense about this issue could be for everyone with a pet.

I'm sure we would all be happy if we could get out of our cars or walk without treading on something unpleasant, not hear dogs barking for hours or see them tied up on balconies or hit with a lead. To me Education is the key to a lot of prevention. I'm sure this could be sponsored by different pet product advertisers. What do you think?

Suej
12-02-2012, 15:18
Hi Margaretta! this topic of giving to Animal v People charities has been discussed on here many times in the past and I still think it is up to every individual to donate where ever they want. Some sort of far reaching campaign is a brilliant idea but do you think it would really have much effect? Hmmm! we have neighbours (luckily not next door) that have a front garden full of dog pooh (they own two big dogs I think) it looks disgusting and would think it is a health hazard! I hate to think of the smell, there's a shovel propped up against their wall but don't think they ever use it! Trouble is how do you educate the totally ignorant irresponsible people? :dontknow:

tracy hampshire
12-02-2012, 16:05
maybe it is a culture thing more than enything else, look at the diferent cultures of the world and how they treat there animals, to us it's appauling but to them it's normal, i got a little dog here over 2 years ago, free to a good home ( or anyone) she was one of a litter of 6, and now just over 2 years later is the only one left, had a few medical problems, when she was a pup but was taken to the vet & now is a happy healthy little girl, here where i live in puerto, most people treat there dogs with the upmost care, so sometimes i wonder if it is the canarians we should be educating or the forieners who come here, fancy a pet then sod off without them, don't know but there's a thought x

balcon
12-02-2012, 16:09
In relation to the comments by Margaretta .... "People who neglect or abandon their dogs need encouragement to think first before they acquire an animal and there needs to be a big input into the idea of care and consideration for others", ........... I think the same can be said about the human kind as well. They should not consider a family if they do not intend to give 100% to their upbringing, therefore resulting in social services not having to consider them for foster care or adoption

tracy hampshire
12-02-2012, 16:25
Here Here balcon, many animals & children are bred indescriminately , only diference is you get benefits for children in some countries x

Added after 5 minutes:

just hate the uk culture of young girls having kids by different fathers so they can get a house & benifits, happened when i was 16 & still happening now, needs to change, animals same as kids depend on us , so everyone needs educating one way or another x

caroletenerife
12-02-2012, 16:39
I know that Eugenio has in the past gone round various places trying to educate and appeared on Tv discussing it. Accion del Sol have regular visits from schools in an attempt to educate the young about responsible pet ownership. There is no way any of the charities could afford a TV campaign, so that would be down to the Govt, and it comes down to their priorities.

It is against the law not to pick up after your dog, however I have only ever seen police challenge one Spanish woman who in turn started shouting at the officer, as if he had asked her for a kidney!!! He just walked off. The problems you highlight about barking dogs and people leaving them on balconies will only get remedied when the authorities introduce and enforce laws.

I worked in animal welfare in the UK and a report was issued that I read about 'active givers'. This was UK based and I dont know how it reflect here, but 46% of people actively gave to charities. Out of that, 8% gave to animal and enviromental groups, so that left 92% of people various charities could actively target. Then there are the 54% that dont regularly give that charities could try and gain support from.

I know it seems that the animal charities here get a lot of exposure but that's because they very proactive, persevering to keep the issue in the limelight, telling everyone that will listen about the problems and constantly fundraising.

There are vets from Europe over at the moment neutering as many animals as is possible in the short time they are here. Cesar Milan recently visited Spain and was horrified by some of things he had seen, and has promised to work with the authorities to highlight animal welfare and responsible ownership, hes a megastar in the US so perhaps his influence will have an effect. There is work going on to try and change peoples attitudes , its just not a headline story over here. x

Margaretta
13-02-2012, 13:44
Relieved to see that this issue is being addressed. Maybe lobbying film and documentary-makers, radio and Tv would have some effect. The matter would of course have many target groups and be in many different languages but advertising usually gets some results. Agree with all the above; great point about children too.

Margaretta
12-03-2014, 23:39
Now this old thread really does belong to us: constantly barking dog on the balcony next door. They are tenants who moved in a week ago. Their little pooch is left to yap and bark on the balcony from 7.30a.m. until they get home from work in the evening. The dog is still left on the balcony in the evening and barks continually. it is only taken in about 10:30p.m. We cannot sit and talk on the balcony and can hear it all the time in our apartment. The new tenants do not speak English and I have tried to speak Spanish with them; we spoke to the Spanish owner who washes her hands of the whole affair and was quite rude.The dog is driving us nuts. Are we right to consult the president or the Surgestion/Administrator? What do you think?

chifleta
13-03-2014, 15:09
Now this old thread really does belong to us: constantly barking dog on the balcony next door. They are tenants who moved in a week ago. Their little pooch is left to yap and bark on the balcony from 7.30a.m. until they get home from work in the evening. The dog is still left on the balcony in the evening and barks continually. it is only taken in about 10:30p.m. We cannot sit and talk on the balcony and can hear it all the time in our apartment. The new tenants do not speak English and I have tried to speak Spanish with them; we spoke to the Spanish owner who washes her hands of the whole affair and was quite rude.The dog is driving us nuts. Are we right to consult the president or the Surgestion/Administrator? What do you think?

Depending on the Ayuntamiento, I think you can make official complaint now to Ayuntamiento or police.... still not sure where yet, luckily my neighbours dogs have calmed down (i'm thinking someone else had a go at owner aside from me), so I haven't got the to denuncia stage... I'll let you know if I find out where/who you specifically contact. The more proof the better, so if you can get photos of dog, and maybe dog with no water, or video of persistent yapping at different times of day/night.

p.s. i'm at that stage where I don't care if I miff someone off, because at the end of the day, I can't be any more upset/stressed due to inconsiderate neighbours!!! ... so do I prefer to put up with the noise, or do I report/denuncia them and miff them off and they ignore me forever! hmmm no contest really LOL

candy2411
13-03-2014, 15:28

how about offering to take the little dog out for a walk if you've plenty of time and the owners are out all day. Can't help but feel sorry for the poor little pooch, must be bored out of its tiny mind ! Just a thought, preferable to do that than have to listen to it barking all day, and if you take it far enough it may just get tired out and sleep rest of the day !

warbey
13-03-2014, 20:57

When I was a Child I was encouraged to observe and then Act with Respect to My Elders and those I came into contact with.
so it was learn by example.

There was little Advertising at that time. What was advertised was to encourage the War effort.

Sorry Margaretta, this smacks of a "Nanny State" to cover up the failings of an older Generation who generally do not respect Anyone
if They dont need to.

I too have admired the Efforts of the Animal Lovers on the Island.

I sadly think They owe more to sentiment than sense. At one time I understood One Charity had over 400 Dogs.
To find Homes for those must be nigh Impossible, so They are still Eating and stressing those directly involved with Their care.

I think You will find Wild Dogs bark little. I have always believed thast responsible Owners train Dogs not to Bark.

The only cure would be to remove the Dogs if convicted, which is unlikely to happen.

Last Week, I nearly went Flying when a Dog on a Long Lead went one side of Me and the "Owner" the Other.
Cristianos seems to have these People more than most, as I saw four different examples in an Afternoon.

So, I think Your Ideas are inevitably wishful thinking albeit well-intentioned..

I agree with Candy. Try to get friendly enough to walk the Dog.!

slippyjim
15-07-2014, 00:35
There are plenty of bad dog owners in Tenerife, I think you should have to pay for a dog licence before you are allowed to get one then it might discourage some lazy people from having one.