PDA

View Full Version : Other Fake 500 euro cheques in town again!

redarrow
13-02-2012, 11:57
This scam is back in town. We had a Latvian girl in this morning, trying to change a 500 euro cheque. These do not exist, but I now know what the scam is.

People are sent these cheques in the post. They have to try to change the cheque and then send 400 back to the sender by Western Union. This is a variant of the ebay scam where a cheque is sent as payment for goods, much higher than the asking price, and the seller is asked to send the change by Western Union and keep a bit over the top for themselves.

If you are tempted, don't. The cheques are appallingly bad. The hologram is embossed and not smooth. The print is wonky on the paper, and it is too big to pass through our testing machine. The print quality is fairly good, but held up to the light, there is no security string.

I'm fed up with having to call the Police. Pain in the backside going to court all day.

Loaded
13-02-2012, 12:49
Thanks for the headsup

redarrow
13-02-2012, 16:15
Seems like there have been a lot of these around at the weekend. Two other shops have been to the Police as well. I'm not sure if they've been had or not.

bonitatime
13-02-2012, 16:20
Thanks for the warning

redarrow
22-02-2012, 17:55
Another b*****d through the door today with 1500's worth. You should have seen the look on his face when I threatened him with the police before he'd even put them on the counter.

YOUNG GOLFER
22-02-2012, 17:58
Should take a photo of these people and give it to the Police i would.
Was just thinking take a photo and email it other businesses they could at least be warned....these people are scum and could put hard working people out of business.

Loaded
22-02-2012, 18:24
how long before they come to the more tucked away places like our Reception? Staff have been warned

chips
22-02-2012, 21:13
Hi every day we hear about some scam or other by people who are trying to cheat honest hard working people, there needs to be a clampdown by the police and the courts sentences need to be higher and punishments harsher,but cost seem to rule,in Tenerife and the UK, thankfully they are in the minority and Tenerife still remains one of the most friendly places on the tourist trail .ttfn Chips .ps i will be back there in a week .

Added after 2 minutes:

Should take a photo of these people and give it to the Police i would.
Was just thinking take a photo and email it other businesses they could at least be warned....these people are scum and could put hard working people out of business. Good idea maybe make them think twice .Chips

Added after 3 minutes:

Hi sorry for double posting dont know what i did wrong .Chips

warbey
22-02-2012, 21:33
This looks like another good reason to invest in CCTV.
Police cant be Everywhere, but the Evidence would be available when required./
Perhaps soon. Video could be transmitted direct to the Station..

There are Schemes in the U.K. where Shops have Radios and talk to each other, warning of trouble etc.
I know it costs money, but soo does being caught by a Scam such as this.

YOUNG GOLFER
23-02-2012, 00:06
Think all these money exchange companies should work together to get rid of these tossers......when someone has a person turn up then first ask for their passport take a copyof it ...after all and i am not 100% sure but would someone who changes checks have to produce a passport or a form of ID?
Take the details copy them and forward them on to all shops then tell them to P... off and get out of your shop.
Thinking even scanning a copyof their ID would be best better to forward it on to others.

golf birdie
23-02-2012, 12:43
its not just 500 euro cheques. The banks have also had many fake 200 euro cheques from cambios and hotels over the past few months.

YOUNG GOLFER
23-02-2012, 20:24
Just to update you guys............. more so the folk who are in the business of changing money that two businesses near to my shop have just been done over by this scam..one shop for 2.500€ and another for 5000€ i have just been to another to warn them of this scam.....the Police are also doing their rounds so please for the sake of a few euros DON'T change these checks.
I did say on a post before about warning folk about this scam so anyone who knows a local exchange company please tell them.
It's alot of money to lose.

Good news some have been recognise and a little shocked as one of these is a well known businessman the Police are on the case and should be making arrest soon..

warbey
23-02-2012, 20:49
Copy of their Passport sounds great, leave a forwarding Address to send the Money to..?
How many would comply eh..?

redarrow
26-02-2012, 14:51
Just to update you guys............. more so the folk who are in the business of changing money that two businesses near to my shop have just been done over by this scam..one shop for 2.500€ and another for 5000€ i have just been to another to warn them of this scam.....the Police are also doing their rounds so please for the sake of a few euros DON'T change these checks.
I did say on a post before about warning folk about this scam so anyone who knows a local exchange company please tell them.
It's alot of money to lose.

Good news some have been recognise and a little shocked as one of these is a well known businessman the Police are on the case and should be making arrest soon..

I am quite disappointed with my bank, as the business in question uses them also. I informed my bank two weeks ago about these cheques, and they obviously didn't pass the info on.

My bank has always been good to me, but they really should take more of an active role when these problems occur.

redarrow
01-03-2012, 16:09
I've heard that some arrests have now been made. A total of around 90,000 euros has been defrauded from exchanges etc. A staggering amount considering you have to change 180 of these cheques to do this.

CIM
01-03-2012, 16:40

YOUNG GOLFER
01-03-2012, 17:00
Well bit of luck these people get some jail time.

bonitatime
01-03-2012, 21:42
I am pleased they have been arrestes and glad you didnt get caught
Sorry for those who did

information
11-08-2012, 09:36
they are back trying to cash them again.

Ecky Thump
10-03-2015, 14:09
they are back trying to cash them again.

I've never been wealthy enough to have a €500 note.:lol:

Is the scam ongoing, or has it died a death?

willowlily
10-03-2015, 17:38
there are very few occasions when you would need to carry 500eu notes I would not even accept 100eu when changing money from banks and bureau de change and am even nervous about 50eu I always ask for low denominations as clearly even at banks and bureau de change they are not very good at spotting fakes.

saying that, in the uk I read that the £1 coin is the most copied currency and there are millions of fakes in circulation.