PDA

View Full Version : I´m running the Las Galletas Half Marathon in Tenerife

SuzyQ
14-02-2012, 03:37
Yep, at 45 years of age, am going to undertake the momentous task of running 21 kms!!!:wow:

Not exactly the sporty type, I got on the treadmill last September and tried to run for 15 minutes. I thought I was going to die. But, within about 6 weeks, I realised it was getting easier. Ive gradually built it up, and am now up to 12 kms, and adding 1 km per week. So its a 13 km run tomorrow. Have any other members done this? My OH did it last year, in 2 hours 6 minutes. It starts on the main road through LAs Galletas, up to El Fraile and on to the Palm Mar roundabout. Then across that road towards Guargacho, by Camping NAuta, and back down to Las GAlletas. Twice round the 10.5 km circuit. Ouch.
But when I say Im doing something, Im doing it, so no backing out now. I´ll be getting sponsorship for the LA dogs and am asking that I am sponsored per kilometre, to give me the incentive to not finish after the first lap. You can register for the 10.5 km (one circuit) too, but I have registered for the full monty. Must be mad. :D
Has anyone else taken leave of their senses???

ally9997
14-02-2012, 12:41
Well done you, and good luck:goodluck:

Megaloo
14-02-2012, 14:40
My Son is running the London Marathon this year, and is training hard, even when on holiday out here last week,:doh: although he found the hills tough going, I think he is up to about 16 miles so getting there.

mossy
14-02-2012, 19:12
Thanks to the treadmill back in England ive done 7 halves,my first being a novice i did it in 2 hrs 23 mns i'm very confident you can beat that since you're doing the necessary training (fastest 1 hr 30 mns in hastings)and 3 marathons (fastest in Rome 3 hrs 31,Dublin 3 hrs 40 And venice 3hrs 45mns),it's hard but addictive.Good luck

SuzyQ
16-02-2012, 01:10
Thanks all. Yes it is addictive, in a very weird way. I ran 13 kms in 1 hour 33 minutes yesterday. I know its not brilliant but its the best I can do so it will have to do. Id just like to finish in under 2 hours 45 as I think they turn the machine off then. Thats what I heard anyway.

caroletenerife
16-02-2012, 03:17
You will be fine, we are all really proud of you at LA xxxx

SuzyQ
17-02-2012, 03:36
We all do our bit kiddo, we are a good team. Speaking of which, the team running the half marathon are :-
Me :D
Eugenio (dont ask!!!)
My OH Tony
Tanya Tevaro (singer)
Michaela (Singer)
............we will see.

JillyB
23-02-2012, 13:17
Thanks for posting this. Your 'Thread' came up on a Google search I was doing to see if there were any races in Tenerife when we're on holiday at end March/beginning of April. And Las Galletas is just down the road from where we're staying. (Sometimes things are meant to be?). But can someone reading this give me some advice? Before I register for the race, I need to know if I can pick up my race number & timing chip whilst we are there, rather than have them sent to the UK where I live, as we will be in Tenerife from 24th March. I've emailed my query a few days ago to the event organisers via the web-site, but have yet to hear back. I wrote it in Spanish (it seemed only polite to do so), but am wondering if the email was ever received as I never got a copy into my inbox. Would anyone know the answer to my query? Can I pick up my number and timing chip when I'm in Tenerife, rather than having it posted?
And good luck with the training & enjoy the race. I'm in my late 40's and a bit of a plodder, but I like the half marathon distance - it really makes you feel like you've done something & can be lazy the rest of the day! I think this might be my 12th one. (I've done 2 marathons in the past but oh the training for those !). Thanks for any help.

Foz
23-02-2012, 13:31
Yep, at 45 years of age, am going to undertake the momentous task of running 21 kms!!!:wow:

Not exactly the sporty type, I got on the treadmill last September and tried to run for 15 minutes. I thought I was going to die. But, within about 6 weeks, I realised it was getting easier. Ive gradually built it up, and am now up to 12 kms, and adding 1 km per week. So its a 13 km run tomorrow. Have any other members done this? My OH did it last year, in 2 hours 6 minutes. It starts on the main road through LAs Galletas, up to El Fraile and on to the Palm Mar roundabout. Then across that road towards Guargacho, by Camping NAuta, and back down to Las GAlletas. Twice round the 10.5 km circuit. Ouch.
But when I say Im doing something, Im doing it, so no backing out now. I´ll be getting sponsorship for the LA dogs and am asking that I am sponsored per kilometre, to give me the incentive to not finish after the first lap. You can register for the 10.5 km (one circuit) too, but I have registered for the full monty. Must be mad. :D
Has anyone else taken leave of their senses???

Congratulations x I'm interested to hear what other benefits you have noticed since you began running last September. As you say you struggled to run for 15mins and are now doing 13km!! Have you lost weight? How different do you feel in yourself?

SuzyQ
24-02-2012, 02:30
Thanks for posting this. Your 'Thread' came up on a Google search I was doing to see if there were any races in Tenerife when we're on holiday at end March/beginning of April. And Las Galletas is just down the road from where we're staying. (Sometimes things are meant to be?). But can someone reading this give me some advice? Before I register for the race, I need to know if I can pick up my race number & timing chip whilst we are there, rather than have them sent to the UK where I live, as we will be in Tenerife from 24th March. I've emailed my query a few days ago to the event organisers via the web-site, but have yet to hear back. I wrote it in Spanish (it seemed only polite to do so), but am wondering if the email was ever received as I never got a copy into my inbox. Would anyone know the answer to my query? Can I pick up my number and timing chip when I'm in Tenerife, rather than having it posted?
And good luck with the training & enjoy the race. I'm in my late 40's and a bit of a plodder, but I like the half marathon distance - it really makes you feel like you've done something & can be lazy the rest of the day! I think this might be my 12th one. (I've done 2 marathons in the past but oh the training for those !). Thanks for any help.

Thanks for that. OK, you pick up your number and timing chip the day before. As you have probably found out, you register online, but need to pay the €18 entry fee in person at any Caja Canarias. Although technically you have until the 26th March to do this, places are limited to 800 so the earlier the better. I am more than happy to go and pay the €18 for you, you can paypal me the money if you want (pm me for details) If I were you, I would register, pay, and then youre in, as I say you get the goodie bag and chip the day before :)

Congratulations x I'm interested to hear what other benefits you have noticed since you began running last September. As you say you struggled to run for 15mins and are now doing 13km!! Have you lost weight? How different do you feel in yourself?

I did struggle at first, then after about 4 weeks I realised the 15 minutes was easy. So I did 20 minutes, then 25......... I have had a setback this week though. Tried to do 14km this Tuesday and struggled badly, my confidence is quite rocked to be honest. Im not well, bad throat and chest, so I maybe shouldnt have even embarked on it, but I worry that if I miss a week I take a step back. Also it was a warm day, no cloud cover. I ended up walking about 2 km, but on the plus side I was only 5 minutes later than I should have been at normal pace. I am now dreading next week, and 15 kms. Starting to doubt whether I should be doing it at all :(
Lost weight? No, funnily enough, but everyone is telling me it looks like I have.
If anything I have bulked up, especially my calfs which are like rock. I dont particularly feel any different except that now running is easier than it was - unless its more than 13 kms of course, lol.

dede
24-02-2012, 11:48
Sue your doing really well, how far is a half marathon? You should be really proud of yourself, Keep up the good work.

ps. hope youve had that little ticker of yours checked!!!

SuzyQ
24-02-2012, 12:59
It's 21 k Dede....
No worries with ticker, it's not stress related, just as likely to go off on one when I'm sleeping. If it did start being silly when I'm running though would need to call it off obviously xx

dede
24-02-2012, 13:28
Thats good to hear...you can do it, your not that far off now then.. well done xxx

mossy
24-02-2012, 13:29
It's 21 k Dede....
No worries with ticker, it's not stress related, just as likely to go off on one when I'm sleeping. If it did start being silly when I'm running though would need to call it off obviously xx

I don't know if you tried running 2 mns and power walk 1mn it could be just as efficient to finish the race under 2:30 hrs.Good luck

JillyB
24-02-2012, 19:34
Thanks for that. OK, you pick up your number and timing chip the day before. As you have probably found out, you register online, but need to pay the €18 entry fee in person at any Caja Canarias. Although technically you have until the 26th March to do this, places are limited to 800 so the earlier the better. I am more than happy to go and pay the €18 for you, you can paypal me the money if you want (pm me for details) If I were you, I would register, pay, and then youre in, as I say you get the goodie bag and chip the day before :)

Thanks for this. Much appreciated for the info and your offer of help. I think I've sent you a 'pm' so we can go on from there.
Don't underestimate how the excitement, the adrenalin and the cheers from those watching, will help to get you round on raceday. You seem to be preparing well, don't worry about the 'off days' too much. Just move on to the next training day. Try running for a mile, walking for a minute, repeat. I've been in races where I've seen people do this and they storm past me after their minute's walk. How dare they?:lol: I no longer worry about everyone else (much !). I think it's a privilege to be able to run whether it's a bit or a lot. I'm happy with that.

SuzyQ
04-03-2012, 03:36
Oooooohhhh, Im finding it sooo hard now. Never did I imagine it would be like this. I thought that with enough training it would be ok but it isnt, its awful. Did 15 km today, took me 1 hour and 50 minutes. I know thats a rubbish time, I will be crawling over the finish line at this rate.
@JillyB you are now on the list of runners, you mad person. See you the day before when we pick up our race chips and goodie bag.
Note to self, never, ever attempt half marathon again......

JillyB
06-03-2012, 19:55
Oooooohhhh, Im finding it sooo hard now. Never did I imagine it would be like this. I thought that with enough training it would be ok but it isnt, its awful. Did 15 km today, took me 1 hour and 50 minutes. I know thats a rubbish time, I will be crawling over the finish line at this rate.
@JillyB you are now on the list of runners, you mad person. See you the day before when we pick up our race chips and goodie bag.
Note to self, never, ever attempt half marathon again......
I think your 1hr 50mins is a fine time and you're definitely on course to finish the rest of the distance. Well done. Thank you for registering me officially. It's much appreciated. I have a slight concern about running in the warmth - I'm use to cold and rain. Ah well, plenty of water and a cap for me then on the day ! I bet you'll be on a high when you finish, and you won't stop at just the one race. So come and do a half marathon in cooler weather in the UK ! I look forward to meeting you SuzyQ.

SuzyQ
31-03-2012, 19:00
Well, we´re ready, as ready as we´ll ever be. There are now 6 of us, we are joined by Nick Page. Today we picked our goodie bags and race chips. The starting gun is at 9am. Nick, Eugenio, Tanya and Michaela should be through between 10:15 and 10:30 as theyre doing the 10.8 k, Tony just after 11 and me about 11.30. Im running with forum member jillyB. Think we´re on course for about €1500 in sponsorship so it will all have been worth it.

slodgedad
01-04-2012, 02:10
Well, we´re ready, as ready as we´ll ever be. There are now 6 of us, we are joined by Nick Page. Today we picked our goodie bags and race chips. The starting gun is at 9am. Nick, Eugenio, Tanya and Michaela should be through between 10:15 and 10:30 as theyre doing the 10.8 k, Tony just after 11 and me about 11.30. Im running with forum member jillyB. Think we´re on course for about €1500 in sponsorship so it will all have been worth it.

:bowdown:

tizzywizzy
01-04-2012, 07:56
Good luck to you all

Megaloo
01-04-2012, 09:26
Hope you are doing well so far.:bowdown: Good luck to all well done.

dede
01-04-2012, 13:54
Well done to Suzy and Jillyb they both finished the marathon today and should be very proud of themselves...:bowdown::bowdown:

caroletenerife
01-04-2012, 14:36
The Live Arico team did FANTASTIC, well done all of you, we are very proud:c2::c2:

SuzyQ
01-04-2012, 14:39
I came last!!! Yay!! Mind you, I'm told some didn't finish, and some were stretchered away. There certainly were ambulances flying around all over. So at least I finished. So hard though. I'm no runner lol. The worst bit was having the Red Cross ambulance following me last last 7 km, as they were reopening the roads behind the ambulance. Put me right under pressure. But it's over now, and some money raised so that's the main thing. Our next challenge??? I will post soon, but it's a good one.
Ah, need to say how we all did. Tony finished in 2 hours 3 minutes, an excellent time, three minutes faster than last year. And the 10,8 k runners, Eugenio did amazing. 1 hour 1 minute on very little training, nick Page 1 hour 11, Michaela Bridges 1 hour 16, and my Tanya 1 hour 22.

s1monsg
01-04-2012, 16:53
Well done to you all...!!! You may have come last, but firstly you took part, secondly you did the whole thing (twice round I think) thirdly, you raised a load of money for Live Arico which is really excellent and finally... you didn't die...which is what someone did on the half marathon Ana and I did...neither of wanted to tell you that until you had finished this one. Excellent work all of you...bet you can't wait until next year...!!!

SuzyQ
01-04-2012, 21:43
Definately cant wait for next year, you and Ana are joining us, lol!!!
There were some casualties today I think. My opnion is that the human body is not designed to go running around for the best part of three hours. well, mine certainly isnt. Was half dragged over the line by my son and Eugenio. Legs like jelly. :snore:

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 02:36
ran, walked, limped or dragged...you all did it xxxx

Madre
02-04-2012, 23:24
Well done just finishing is brilliant :c2:

JillyB
09-04-2012, 19:49
Well, I'm back in the UK now. Er, it's a bit wet and cold, but I guess we need the rain just now....
I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to meet SuzyQ and her friends, family and supporters at the half marathon. And such a worthy cause that they were raising money for - Live Arico. I also met the adorable 'Dennis the Menace' - a little female dog with such spirit and a fine example of the good work that Live Arico do. If I could, I would have smuggled her home in my hand luggage !

I found it a bit of a tough race (and it was my 12th half marathon!) Then again, I'm more use to cooler, wetter conditions. And that hill ! Twice ! Excuses aside, SuzyQ really should be very proud of herself and I hope she is still enjoying her achievement. Thank you again for registering me.

I also want to acknowledge runner 368, who I met during the race. Although we found on the second lap we were running about the same pace, he stayed with me as I began to struggle and slow down - effectively sacrificing a more decent finishing time for himself, and coaxing me to breathe slower, and take smaller steps. Not only that, but as we sprinted together for the finishing line, he slowed down to let me pass the line before him. What a gent !

With people like all those above that I met, I'm glad I live in this world......

SuzyQ
09-04-2012, 23:46
Ah thanks for your lovely words Jilly, and it was lovely to meet you too, and Hans of course. I really did bite off more than I could chew, but now I know my limits I will stay within them. Doing the canaryrun 8.5k in June sponsored by Adidas, and next year, Ill be sticking to the 10.8k at Las Galletas. S x