PDA

View Full Version : My Laptop Won t Start HELP!!

ally9997
14-02-2012, 12:56
Hi everyone,

any it experts out there?

When i try yo start it up i get the black window witch says start in safe mode or start normally etc
when i click on either of them it goes onto next window which is the windows xp with the little blue buffering
thing trying to get onto the next window then its crashes and goes back to black window and repeats.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? A virus or the hard drive?

Willing to pay an it person to have a look its a toshiba satellite

cheers

ally xxxx

markcuk
14-02-2012, 13:12
will be a blue screen there somewhere have you tried last good configuration?

turn on the laptop keep pressing F8 key till you see different options http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

select last known configuration

ally9997
14-02-2012, 14:12
Thanks for reply Mark, i have tried that but nothings happens as when i have tried the other options like run normally or with networking etc
but will try again and hold down the f8 key

thanks ally thanks goods my daughter has a computer i can use !!!

markcuk
14-02-2012, 14:29
If you can get to command prompt (safe mode with command prompt)

type chkdsk c: /p /r

slodgedad
14-02-2012, 15:39
There is a thread on the old Forum about the same thing which may be of some help. HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=80466)

ally9997
14-02-2012, 16:05
Ok i am off to try that now but don t think it will give me option to type

Thanks for your help mark x

peter perfect
14-02-2012, 17:38
Hi could be the hard drive but is more likely to be the mbr, so you need to run a recovery from the xp installation disc.
cheers Peter

ally9997
14-02-2012, 19:00
Still trying what is the mbr? Cannot find recovery disc where can i obtain another for xp? Or a copy off someone?

I can press f12 and it prompts me foe cd so this might help

Arrrrrrrrrr thanks ally

markcuk
14-02-2012, 19:59
you will need this recovery cd then http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso download on your computer and burn to cd then boot from it on your laptop

peter perfect
14-02-2012, 22:46
Hi mbr is the master boot record if that is corrupt that is why the winodws operating system is not loading correctly.is it xp home or pro
Peter

cheery
14-02-2012, 23:13
If you can get someone else to download a malware programme for you and put it on a memory stick. My uncle had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago and that is how I sorted it out. You will have to start it in safe mode to run the programme.

peter perfect
14-02-2012, 23:25
Hi sounds like it will not go into safe mode so you will need an xp installation cd to boot from.Peter

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 08:16
what has happened to the laptop is essentially the windows has not shut down correctly. it's not that you haven't shut it down correctly, it could be a corrupt driver or system file.
this is what you need to do.

1) get a cd of the windows xp version you have installed. so if you have xp home you will need a home disk. if it is xp pro then a pro disk. An OEM ( original equipment manuacturer) disk is preferable.
2) Put the disk into the cd/dvd drive.
3) if you get the option to press a key for boot sequence/ change boot order then press that key. not all systems are set you boot to optical disk first. choose the cd/dvd.
4) when presented with the options press enter to install windows/ press r to repair/ press f3 to restart, choose r. the screen will go black. let it go right through the sequence until you come to choose installation. it should say 1: C:\WINDOWS. type 1 then enter.
5) then type "chkdsk /r" omitting the quotation marks. there is a space between the k and /
6) sit back and relax. I have known tis to take 2hrs+. depends on the amount of data on the hard drive.
7) when complete type exit and enter. let the laptop restart under its own steam. you may get the microsoft startup menu kick in counting down from 30 secs. dont be tempted to press the button.
Hopefully this will resolve the problem for you.
Marc (PC1staid)

ally9997
15-02-2012, 14:39
Getting disc from peter.will try all of this cheers ally

Its xp professional pm sent

Ally

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 15:21
if you cant get hold of one let me know, i am over on the 28th to do some work.

ally9997
15-02-2012, 16:58
I like the part sit back and relax ....... I will keep fingers crossed also for 2 hours......

Hopefully getting disc from peter tomorrow, so will let you know the outcome
Thanks for you input again

Ally

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 17:51
I like the part sit back and relax ....... I will keep fingers crossed also for 2 hours......

Hopefully getting disc from peter tomorrow, so will let you know the outcome
Thanks for you input again

Ally

The reason i say sit back and relax is for the time it takes there is little else you can do. :lol:
It could be quicker and 90% of the time it is successful.
And your welcome.
marc

ally9997
15-02-2012, 23:43
The reason i say sit back and relax is for the time it takes there is little else you can do. :lol:
It could be quicker and 90% of the time it is successful.
And your welcome.
marc
Knowing my luck i will be one of the 10 per cent ......

ally9997
16-02-2012, 20:11
Thanks to perfect Peter and his recovery disc im up and running!!!!!i have also removed some old stuff and de-fragmented etc and its seems to be running a treat fingers crossed....... so i think i might need a copy of this disc for future problems and it was simple to use......

Thank you all for all the info you have given me and to Peter for his disc

regards

ally:thanx: xx

Marc Weinberg
17-02-2012, 00:02
glad you've got the laptop up and running.