PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in Tenerife - any suggestions ! ?

therealpopeye
15-02-2012, 03:17
Hello everyone,

I joined the forum at the end of last year - still to familiarise myself with all the different categories. There's certainly a huge number of threads on anything you could think of - with an even greater number of replies - well done everyone :respect:

Anyway, I'm planning to move over to the island in April and am trying to nail down a good area to stay in. I'm a 40 y.o. chap on my own. I don't really want to be in the thick of it so to speak, but fairly easy access to Las Americas and Los Cristianos for the odd night out / meeting up would be good. I visited a number of places when I was over in October: Palm Mar - which felt a bit isolated and lacking in character; Playa Paraiso - similarly concrete blocks on stilts, with no sould let alone a paradise beach! ; Las Galletas - this place has a bit of character; Los Abrigos - it felt a little like the wild west there; El Medano - really liked it there - chic, classy, cosmopolitan but perhaps a bit too far from Las Americas, and possibly too windy in the winter. Not into surfing .... yet, but willing to give it a try.

The place I really liked though, was Adeje Town: great views, a bit of character, properly spanish, plenty little cafes, restaurants and well connected to Las Americas by bus and only a short taxi ride away. I daresay I could even cycle - well maybe just one way!
SBut what is the weather like ? Is it sheltered from the wind ? I know it's up 250m from sea level so is it colder in winter than nearby coastal resorts ? Do many Brits live there ?

It would be great to hear from anyone who lives or has lived there or has any other suggestions.

Gary

Vortex Wake
15-02-2012, 08:51
Yes Adeje Town is connected by bus but do remember that these tend to stop around midnight so a walk or taxi may be required back from PDLA . You may also find it a bit more cloudy than the coast from time to time. That said, I like the town .

Stoney
15-02-2012, 11:29
If you want somewhere quite you don't have to live outside PDLA or LC, all you need to do is live above the motorway in PDLA. Its quiet has great views and is only a short walk downhill to the beaches and night life. A taxi back would cost from 5 to 10 euros depending how far up the hill you live.

All you need to do is make sure that your apt faces to the east or south east and it will be hot in the summer and warm in the winter, if it faces west or north be prepared for some cool nights in the winter, but you won't need air con in the summer.

Good luck and welcome to the reef

Suej
15-02-2012, 11:36
Hello everyone,

I joined the forum at the end of last year - still to familiarise myself with all the different categories. There's certainly a huge number of threads on anything you could think of - with an even greater number of replies - well done everyone :respect:

Anyway, I'm planning to move over to the island in April and am trying to nail down a good area to stay in. I'm a 40 y.o. chap on my own. I don't really want to be in the thick of it so to speak, but fairly easy access to Las Americas and Los Cristianos for the odd night out / meeting up would be good. I visited a number of places when I was over in October: Palm Mar - which felt a bit isolated and lacking in character; Playa Paraiso - similarly concrete blocks on stilts, with no sould let alone a paradise beach! ; Las Galletas - this place has a bit of character; Los Abrigos - it felt a little like the wild west there; El Medano - really liked it there - chic, classy, cosmopolitan but perhaps a bit too far from Las Americas, and possibly too windy in the winter. Not into surfing .... yet, but willing to give it a try.

The place I really liked though, was Adeje Town: great views, a bit of character, properly spanish, plenty little cafes, restaurants and well connected to Las Americas by bus and only a short taxi ride away. I daresay I could even cycle - well maybe just one way!
SBut what is the weather like ? Is it sheltered from the wind ? I know it's up 250m from sea level so is it colder in winter than nearby coastal resorts ? Do many Brits live there ?

It would be great to hear from anyone who lives or has lived there or has any other suggestions.

Gary

Hi Gary! You might want to look at Chayofa it is only a few minutes to motorway and Los Cris, It's a pretty village with a couple of bars but only a short ride to La Camellia and Cabo Blanco where there is a Mercadona supermarket. We looked at Adeji and liked it but found it to be very cloudy (maybe because of the high cliff faces) Good luck with your search! Why not have a look on Google maps at the areas you fancy.:)

Loaded
15-02-2012, 12:17
What about El Madroņal? It's on the "other side" of the motorway from LA and torviscas behind shopping centre gran sur.

Due to it's elevation there are spectacular views of the south coast.

Los cris is 5 mins drive, so is Adeje - its a quiet residential area that's close enough to everything but just about "out of the way".

therealpopeye
15-02-2012, 22:12
Hi everyone.

Hope you've all had an enjoyable (sunny) day !

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Stoney - good tip about an apartment facing east/south east.
Suej - Chayofa looks worth a visit, although I probably won't have a car for the first few months. How is the weather compared to down in Los Cristianos ? Both yourself and Vortex mentioned Adeje to be cloudy - I must have been lucky when I visited last October! It was warm and sunny. When I arrived back in PDLA only 15 mins later, it was raining!
Loaded - I've heard of El Madronal but can't find it on Google maps yet. Maybe I need specs after all!

Thanks for your help guys :c2:

Suej
16-02-2012, 14:27
Hi everyone.

Hope you've all had an enjoyable (sunny) day !

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Stoney - good tip about an apartment facing east/south east.
Suej - Chayofa looks worth a visit, although I probably won't have a car for the first few months. How is the weather compared to down in Los Cristianos ? Both yourself and Vortex mentioned Adeje to be cloudy - I must have been lucky when I visited last October! It was warm and sunny. When I arrived back in PDLA only 15 mins later, it was raining!
Loaded - I've heard of El Madronal but can't find it on Google maps yet. Maybe I need specs after all!

Thanks for your help guys :c2:

Chayofa does not get the low cloud like Adeji Alto. the temps here might be a degree or so lower than coastal resorts of Los Cris, PDLA etc.. There is a good bus service but I'm afraid I have never used them so don't know about times and frequency. (looking at it long term) I would imagine once the Hospital is finished there will be an excellent bus service!

louisecox
16-02-2012, 18:07
Hi have lived in Adeje for the past 10 years and yes it is a bit cloudy but not permanently. We have some lovely hot weather gets a bit cool in the evening which is very pleasant. We have everything here, and the buses are good, the views are fantastic peole are friendly, some great culture, loads to do and see and of course some great fiestas, like the Passion and the Kings parade.

Suej
16-02-2012, 18:20
Hi have lived in Adeje for the past 10 years and yes it is a bit cloudy but not permanently. We have some lovely hot weather gets a bit cool in the evening which is very pleasant. We have everything here, and the buses are good, the views are fantastic peole are friendly, some great culture, loads to do and see and of course some great fiestas, like the Passion and the Kings parade.

All the places we have mentioned are where we live so of course we like them warts and all! nowhere is perfect Gary and often compromises have to be made but these places are all well populated so there really is something or somewhere for everyone here...Sorry Louise this reply was problably better aimed at Gary!:)

louisecox
17-02-2012, 16:07
I was replying to the inicial question, my reply was aimed at Gary who was asking where people thought was good to live in Tenerife.

Suej
17-02-2012, 16:09
I was replying to the inicial question, my reply was aimed at Gary who was asking where people thought was good to live in Tenerife.
Yep! I realised I replied to the wrong post! Sorry! :doh:

Loaded
17-02-2012, 17:50
Hi again, El MAdroņal is an aread or Torviscas Alto - look for GRan Sur and Roque de Conde or Miraverde it's between those three