PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a bank in south Tenerife?

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 08:48
HI all. I am looking to get a bank/ savings account to put funds in whilst I am working on the island. The only requirements i need from the account is a card so that if i need to withdraw money i can. I did attempt to get an overseas account from my current UK bank, but they seemed more than reluctant to help in expanding my business. I will be in the san euginio area so can anyone recommend a bank that could cater for my needs. thanks in advance.
Marc

Stoney
15-02-2012, 11:33
try La Caixa its just opposite the Hotel La Nina in San Eugenio, our daughter has her current and savings a/c there. Can get money from the hole in the wall 24-7

Su1
15-02-2012, 11:53
We use Banca March, currently as non residents We do not use this account to pay Direct Debits etc just to keep money in to spend whilst out in Tenerife. You have to pay an annual fee for your card though. Can get cash out of machines/pay in shops etc with it no problems, also use internet banking. Unfortunately do not know where your nearest branch is.

polremy
15-02-2012, 12:54
If you are over a certain age (60 I think) you can get a Banca March special old fogey's account which makes the hole in the wall card cheaper and also comes with cheaper bank charges.
You have to ask though - they won't suggest it.

Su1
15-02-2012, 13:03
If you are over a certain age (60 I think) you can get a Banca March special old fogey's account which makes the hole in the wall card cheaper and also comes with cheaper bank charges.
You have to ask though - they won't suggest it.

I shall be going in to ask!! Many thanks

Megaloo
15-02-2012, 13:07
Not sure whether you have a Sol Bank near to you,, but I find them very good also my Son has a non Resident account with them.

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 15:18
i was thinking of la caixa as well but not sure if they give a non resident account. i have a lloyds tsb account but they are being awkward about giving a euro account.
I'll pop in when i'm over in 2 weeks. many thanks

Stoney
15-02-2012, 16:10
There is a branch of Lloyds in Playa de las Americas but it is not in San Eugenio which is what I thought you wanted, its more towards Fanabe beach in a shopping centre called Fanabe Plaza, its about 15 mins walk from San Eugenio shopping centre. No problem opening one here, my wife and I have a savings and current a/c there, they do not have a hole in the wall but you can withdraw money from any bank with a Servired Sign with no charges. They cannot at present link a/c's with the UK but who knows what lies in the future. You get a better deal from places like Hfix if you want to transfer large amount, or do what we do get yourself a Clarity Card from Lloyds, we get great exchange rates and all the shops accept it here providing you pay it off every month, we also bring sterling back with us after our visits to family or get friends/family to bring it over when they visit us, and use the exchange places here they are always 1 or 2 cents better than the UK rates. Hope this helps

Red Devil
15-02-2012, 16:31
Banca March without a doubt - I use the branch just down the hill, Bouganvilla Playa on your right, the bank just round corner on the left, next to Farmacia and Lacoste ship.
Small branch so no queues, staff are lovely, internet banking really simple as website is in English.

Also have an account with Santander, their bank at San Eugenio a nightmare, you queue for ever, staff not very helpful and they refuse to have an English translation for internet banking so I don't know how to use it!

Marc Weinberg
15-02-2012, 17:43
Stoney, I have a business account with lloyds at the mo, I explained that i am coming to tenerife for approx 5 days a month to work and wanted an account linked to my UK account that accepts euros. It will be used only from tenerife and to hold money that i earn whilst i am there. the only time money will come out is to pay for accomodation and food. they call this account an euro account but they have told me that to get it i have to jump through hoops and do a tap dance before they will even consider looking at an application.
Red Devil, a few people have mentioned Banca March and also Santander are no better here in the UK so will give Santander a wide berth. I will look into both La Caixa and BancaMarch when I am over in 2 weeks.