PDA

View Full Version : Education School Trip : How can I raise 5000€ fast?!

KirstyJay
16-02-2012, 00:35
Got a situation folks, so need some suggestions. Some of you will already be aware that I'm arranging a school exchange to take 20 kids to England in March....

Well, there's been some problems. As I'm not actually working in the school this year, I've been relying on others to make certain arrangements and due to the fact that the school cannot purchase with credit cards, there's been big probs with the flights and to cut a long story short, they're about 5 grand more expensive than I originally budgeted.

We thought we could possibly salvage the trip by dropping two days, but the rip off merchants that are air Europa are charging us 44€ per person (23 people) for changing. This is on already 400€ flights!

We have an extra 4000€ due from the project funds, but these are not released until the final report is submitted... Stupid really, as we need it now!

So, can anyone suggest any ideas or businesses that might want to sponsor the trip to the tune of 5 grand?

I know it's a long shot in these times of austerity, but anything's worth a try. :)

Suggestions welcome!!!

YOUNG GOLFER
16-02-2012, 02:50
Got a situation folks, so need some suggestions. Some of you will already be aware that I'm arranging a school exchange to take 20 kids to England in March....

Well, there's been some problems. As I'm not actually working in the school this year, I've been relying on others to make certain arrangements and due to the fact that the school cannot purchase with credit cards, there's been big probs with the flights and to cut a long story short, they're about 5 grand more expensive than I originally budgeted.

We thought we could possibly salvage the trip by dropping two days, but the rip off merchants that are air Europa are charging us 44€ per person (23 people) for changing. This is on already 400€ flights!

We have an extra 4000€ due from the project funds, but these are not released until the final report is submitted... Stupid really, as we need it now!

So, can anyone suggest any ideas or businesses that might want to sponsor the trip to the tune of 5 grand?

I know it's a long shot in these times of austerity, but anything's worth a try. :)

Suggestions welcome!!!

Maybe sending a letter to Air Europa explaining your situation....you never know they might be able to help.
Have you spoken to the parents of these children....why not call a meeting see if the parents can help fund the trip.....or at least help rasie money towards it got to be a better chance if more people are involved.
Also have you already paid a deposit on the flights?...........if not then would it not be a good idea to wait til you have more funds or better still book when flights are a little cheaper.

I hope things work out for you and the children.

julia44
16-02-2012, 07:30
Just wondering if the kids are local, if so it may be an idea to have a word about sponsorship in Higenio Tabares as they do quite a bit of sponsorship
I have some contact names if required

KirstyJay
16-02-2012, 09:16
Thanks... They are from Agua dulce.

KirstyJay
16-02-2012, 09:19
Maybe sending a letter to Air Europa explaining your situation....you never know they might be able to help.
Have you spoken to the parents of these children....why not call a meeting see if the parents can help fund the trip.....or at least help rasie money towards it got to be a better chance if more people are involved.
Also have you already paid a deposit on the flights?...........if not then would it not be a good idea to wait til you have more funds or better still book when flights are a little cheaper.

I hope things work out for you and the children.Parents are already contributing 400€... 50 more than originally thought. We already had a meeting and air Europa have been contacted and are not understanding. They are being decidedly inflexible. *******s. :( yes, flight deposits have already been paid. Unfortunately.

s1monsg
16-02-2012, 11:06
What about speaking with the local ayuntamiento or is there a dept for education that can help? What about the possibility of a governmental cultural dept as it is children learning about different cultures. Good luck.

KirstyJay
16-02-2012, 11:26
I was there 5 times last week. It's a 'crisis' at the moment. ;)

Fred Perry
16-02-2012, 12:06
I know you have deposits with Air Europe but why not try Ryan Air? Even fly Ryan Air to Madrid then on to UK. I did the whole thing for 30€ (all in) last year. Half group could do that and half with Ryan Air. The money saved would subsidise the other flights.

KirstyJay
16-02-2012, 12:50
I think air Europa have had about 5 grand with the rest due tomorrow. I've got a meeting about it with my directora tonight. She said we may be able to get a loan.... Fingers crossed.

timmylish
16-02-2012, 13:34
In times like this I have always believed in people power!
Get the parents to-gether, to-morrow, call a press meeting and have placards etc made showing the attitude of the airline. Bad publicity in times like this is not sought after. Best of luck.

MILITANTS MOVE!

bonitatime
16-02-2012, 13:49
The flower People might be persuaded
Try the press to push Air Europa.
You dont really have anyone else local to solicit money from. And the Town hall is hard pressed
If you can borrowed the money now a bring and buy, fete type event to raise the money to pay it off.

garlicbread
16-02-2012, 14:02
In times like this I have always believed in people power!
Get the parents to-gether, to-morrow, call a press meeting and have placards etc made showing the attitude of the airline. Bad publicity in times like this is not sought after. Best of luck.

MILITANTS MOVE!

I was about to say something similar. Maybe Colin K could contact someone at Diario de Avisos and /or La Opinion to send a reporter/photographer. down here. He , or perhaps a journalist from one of the ex pat newspapers may also have a contact with the press officer at Air Europa. I know that the head office of Air Europa is in Mallorca but sorry I don't have any contacts there myself. However their press office has a separate telephone number which is 915401682 and an e mail address at comunicacion@globalia-corp.com so perhaps a well written e mail to this address might have the desired effect, try addressing the message to Juan Jose Hidalgo who is the CEO.

best of luck and if you need any militant help outside the school, you know where I am!!!i

Carlos
16-02-2012, 14:07
While sympathising with the plight described, be wary of slagging off the airline in the media. 'Heartless Air Europa leaves kids stranded' might turn into something very different if it turns out that the problem is that the trip costing calculations were off the mark. Unless they suddenly raised the fares without warning. If not, they will legitimately say they were happy to change but on payment of the mandatory fee. I would concentrate on raising funds asap rather then spending hours on end contacting media to fling mud at possibly the wrong people.

KirstyJay
18-02-2012, 19:38
Although what you have said is completely correct regarding the use of the media, I can assure you there was not a problem with the initial budgeting. The flights were bought under the quote of 211€ per person, however the 167€ extra PER FLIGHT tax was not accounted for, which brought the total per flight to over 400€. The flights I initially sourced were on easyjet and are still only 250€ including all taxes and baggage... I originally budgeted 300€ per flight, so this would have been fine. The Air Europa flights are from TFN via Madrid (easyjet's were from TFS direct to LGW) so now there's the added cost of putting on guaguas to transfer all the kids to and from TFN too... AAARRRGGGHHH! I think I shall pull my hair out.

Anyway... it's all consequential now, as the outstanding cash on the flights has now been paid by the school without even speaking to me first, so i have no idea how they're planning to sort this out. ???

stringfellas
18-02-2012, 23:35
How comes you are paying so much for your flights surely it could have been done through one of the regular uk airlines for around 200 euros return each a saving of more then the 5000 you are short

shaun kelly
19-02-2012, 13:12
after reading another thread on here apparently the best way would be to join the police force !!! LOL

KirstyJay
25-02-2012, 14:09
How comes you are paying so much for your flights surely it could have been done through one of the regular uk airlines for around 200 euros return each a saving of more then the 5000 you are shortThis was my point... but apparently we cannot pay by credit card, and Air Europa excepted a transfer... anyway. Whay's done is done. I cannot get the flights changed to another company now, so there's no point going on about it. I had easyjet flights for around 200€ in the first place, but they were not purchased. End of. :)

However to update, we have decided to skip the Istanbul coordinators' meeting, as our priority is to get the kids abroad. We have jiggled things, and we 'should' be able to do it... and this will give us some time to raise more cash to attend the final Poland meeting in May.

All I really care about is that the kids get their holiday, as that's what this was all about. :)