PDA

View Full Version : No more PRs in Arona, Tenerife

Sundowner
16-02-2012, 13:49
Arona and Adeje are fining businesses that employ PR's.

This info comes from the usually reliable source jaa...........

caroletenerife
16-02-2012, 18:20
yeh, i read it. If they can catch them... if they are using uniformed officers, they will just leg it when they see them coming. I know they are a pain, but at least they are working, for very little usually. Nearly every customer in the shop has tales of someone being robbed from their room, pickpocketed or mugged, that, and the significant number of 'ladies of the evening' around Veronikas and Patch area would put me off Tenerife more than a cheeky little sod shouting' Euro a pint' at me. A few people have told me they wont be back, not because they were robbed but because of the complete indifference of the authorities.

Suej
16-02-2012, 18:29
yeh, i read it. If they can catch them... if they are using uniformed officers, they will just leg it when they see them coming. I know they are a pain, but at least they are working, for very little usually. Nearly every customer in the shop has tales of someone being robbed from their room, pickpocketed or mugged, that, and the significant number of 'ladies of the evening' around Veronikas and Patch area would put me off Tenerife more than a cheeky little sod shouting' Euro a pint' at me. A few people have told me they wont be back, not because they were robbed but because of the complete indifference of the authorities.

It has to be said the authorities love making new rules for everything but implementing them is a non starter! it's a bit of a joke really! and I put a lot of it down to corruption! Ooooh dear that's a bit strong!:ashamed:

atlantico
16-02-2012, 19:13
Silencio is in Arona . . . . . . . and we don't have any PR's anyway !

pfft . . .

caroletenerife
16-02-2012, 19:26
Silencio is in Arona . . . . . . . and we don't have any PR's anyway !

pfft . . .

Lucky you, I must admit I never get bothered, but I have the dog with me all the time....there's the answer, rent a pooch xxx

Sundowner
16-02-2012, 22:30
It has to be said the authorities love making new rules for everything but implementing them is a non starter! it's a bit of a joke really! and I put a lot of it down to corruption! Ooooh dear that's a bit strong!:ashamed:

So far 30 fines have been issued........

Is there a plan to change the face of tourism in Tenerife........

1. Only building 5*

2. Clamp down on renting.

3. Clamp down on PR's.

I think I see a pattern emerging..........???

blondie
16-02-2012, 22:31
We can live in hope but I very much doubt it. I remember last time and think it may have lasted a few weeks, if that. I personally know a lot of the PR s in both LA and LC and know they are only trying to make a living but what theyforget is the fact that we have probably replied and said no thank you to twenty folk before we got to him. It can be so wearing every night especially if its someone trying to get you into somewhere like the Aberdeen Steak Housegod keep us from that misfortune!!! Just look to places like El Cedro and Montana, never have a PR and are always full, does that not tellthem something.

murph
16-02-2012, 22:45
So far 30 fines have been issued........

Is there a plan to change the face of tourism in Tenerife........

1. Only building 5*

2. Clamp down on renting.

3. Clamp down on PR's.

I think I see a pattern emerging..........???

Hmm

You may be right - I am beginning to wonder if they are in cahoots with the airlines now - Mid August Friday to Friday for a fortnight £375 from Manchester!!

It's been £250 for the last 5 years!

Greg
16-02-2012, 23:32
Love em or hate em PRs are great for a business. If your business isn't on street level where passers by can't see in they will not notice it and walk past. A PR can introduce people to the business which can be good for the customer and owner alike. Many bars here gain loyal customers who were introduced for the first time by a PR. A PR is a salesman and represents the business. Not all of them are good but a really good one can earn great money for themselves and for the business they represent.
The good ones are chatty and informative without being pushy, just like salesmen in any industry!

delderek
17-02-2012, 12:15
Love em or hate em PRs are great for a business. If your business isn't on street level where passers by can't see in they will not notice it and walk past. A PR can introduce people to the business which can be good for the customer and owner alike. Many bars here gain loyal customers who were introduced for the first time by a PR. A PR is a salesman and represents the business. Not all of them are good but a really good one can earn great money for themselves and for the business they represent.
The good ones are chatty and informative without being pushy, just like salesmen in any industry!

Agreed, but try the El Mirador strip, all on street level, and an obstacle course of 10 or 12 PR's in 75 mts. Its a nightmare, even if you get to know them, saying hello every few seconds, is a bit much.:redcard:

willowlily
17-02-2012, 13:10
Agreed, but try the El Mirador strip, all on street level, and an obstacle course of 10 or 12 PR's in 75 mts. Its a nightmare, even if you get to know them, saying hello every few seconds, is a bit much.:redcard:

the mirador steps are not alone, when you get a run of bars, restaurants crammed together its like running the gauntlet, and it has been known for some of the prs to be abusive when you say no thank you, usually non brits. i had a friend who owned a restaurant,bar admittedly in a prime spot but she refused to employ pr's even though all the other restaurants in the same strip did and i can say she was never any quieter than the others and sometimes seemed to be a lot busier. so unless your place is hidden away could this pr not be more cleverly employed giving the customers you do have a good service

Seren
17-02-2012, 13:40
I know it can be off putting especially when you have politely said no thank you, then they continue to shout you the menu as you are walking away.

One womans reply when looking at a menu outside a restaurant, as the PR was completely bombarding the lady with information, said I cant read and listen to you at the same time so forget it, if maybe she hadnt felt pressured she would of tried the place and loved it! One time where we have said not tonight we are going to (wherever) and they said good choice enjoy, we have got this on later so maybe stop off for a drink on your way back? to which we did and we have returned to this place numerous times now and its usually our 1st stop when we get on holiday!

Also interesting another favourite restuarant of ours, we were sitting at the bar area one evening and noticed that when the PR was outside trying to bring people in they were just avoiding the place but within minutes of the PR leaving the area people had chance to brows the menu and enter the place without being rushed/pressured and the place filled up quickly!

timmylish
17-02-2012, 23:42

What? Even Timeshare?

Sundowner
18-02-2012, 00:18
What? Even Timeshare?

No timeshare are the scum of the Earth!!!

Only joking.............I think.........

timmylish
18-02-2012, 03:55
No timeshare are the scum of the Earth!!!

Only joking.............I think.........

I quote-

"The good ones are chatty and informative without being pushy, just like salesmen in any industry!"

"Any Industry"?

Simon-M
18-02-2012, 11:03
I quote-

"The good ones are chatty and informative without being pushy, just like salesmen in any industry!"

"Any Industry"?

Ah, the good old "smoke and mirrors" industry :)

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 11:33
I quote-

"Any Industry"?

but timeshare are not chatty without being pushy. they pride thereselves on being so pushy they scare people into buying. a altogether more deceitful profession. :)

EDGEY72
26-02-2012, 11:53
I can understand why the PRs can get annoying when you can't walk 50m without a dozen of them asking you to come in, fair enough when they are trying to get you in a club or bar but if you have told one outside a restaraunt you have already ate and then take only a couple of steps to be asked the same again thats when it becomes a joke, especially if you are talking and they litterally come right in your face. But like the other comment the authorities should spend more effort on the muggers and pickpockets around Veronicas and the like. I was approached a couple of years ago on the bridge near the patch with some guy trying to get me and my friend into a lap dancing club he was with 2 others who were sat in a car but when we refused he kept following us about 150m up the road then tried robbing me this was 5am so he must of thought we were easy drunk tourists unfortunately for him as he looked round for his friends they had not followed him and he was faced with 2 reasonably fit lads who were stone cold sober having only landed a few hours earlier and he stumbled away with a sore nose for his trouble. But i doubt it stopped them trying it again on someone else.

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 12:01
What? Even Timeshare?

No, definitely not like Timeshare, who tell lies, and are a total annoyance! This should be in the past tense as they hardly exist today (thank goodness) in Tenerife

By this I don't mean the sales person at the resort, but the street tout who tells you that you have just one the star prize.....a cheap carriage clock or a bottle of plonk.

golf birdie
26-02-2012, 12:05

a good bar/restaurant does not need PR's, no matter were it is located. All it needs is to offer good food, good service with good prices. Why do so many find it difficult to do it right? Word of mouth soon gets around and the good ones do well.

Sundowner
26-02-2012, 20:33
I think that most of us will not miss them..................

Greg
26-02-2012, 21:31
a good bar/restaurant does not need PR's, no matter were it is located. All it needs is to offer good food, good service with good prices. Why do so many find it difficult to do it right? Word of mouth soon gets around and the good ones do well.
Sorry but you are wrong. If you are not located where people walking can't see your bar/restaurant they can't know it's there! A good PR will introduce clients that would of passed by without noticing your business. If they enjoy the experience then they will pass on the recommendation by word of mouth. A good client base has to start somewhere.

Sundowner
26-02-2012, 22:02
Sorry but you are wrong. If you are not located where people walking can't see your bar/restaurant they can't know it's there! A good PR will introduce clients that would of passed by without noticing your business. If they enjoy the experience then they will pass on the recommendation by word of mouth. A good client base has to start somewhere.

If you are not located where people will find you..........you are paying less rent.......banning PR's levels the playing field.

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 22:15
If you are not located where people will find you..........you are paying less rent.......banning PR's levels the playing field.interestin point, but i agree with greg a bit. if a bars of the beaten track then a pr should be allowed. if you pass by the front, then why do they need a pr? they have a boards, signs. or if theres a pr, they should not be allowed off the bar premises so they can only stand in the doorway not on the pavement. that way people can easily ignore or avoid them.

Harlequin
27-02-2012, 08:58
I'd have to agree. One or two restaurants I eat at are off the beaten track but I found them through personal recommendation.

Greg
27-02-2012, 13:00
[QUOTE=Sundowner;148469]If you are not located where people will find you..........you are paying less rent.......banning PR's levels the playing field.[/QUOTE

Level playing field? This is business! There are bills, wages rents or mortgages to pay. In business anything you can do to increase sales you do. Look at the lengths and budgets big companies go to to promote their products. Anyone who owns a bar off the beaten track here in Tenerife who doesn't fight for every customer they can is going to back to Blighty penniless with their dreams shattered along with the thousands that have gone before them. This island is a VERY competitive and difficult place to do business and only the best survive. And I think you'll find that most of those survivors in the bar and restaurant game have PR's.

macdonald5
28-02-2012, 10:23
Not sure I agree with total ban,aggressive annoyance yes should be stopped Hard to enforce though? We eat in restaurants many times during regular visits to Tenerife and have been introduced to some good ones over the years by helpful PR's but being honest our top three fav ones were found by personal recommendation
Many of the PR's are trying to earn a few honest euros

delderek
28-02-2012, 11:26
[QUOTE=Sundowner;148469]If you are not located where people will find you..........you are paying less rent.......banning PR's levels the playing field.[/QUOTE

Level playing field? This is business! There are bills, wages rents or mortgages to pay. In business anything you can do to increase sales you do. Look at the lengths and budgets big companies go to to promote their products. Anyone who owns a bar off the beaten track here in Tenerife who doesn't fight for every customer they can is going to back to Blighty penniless with their dreams shattered along with the thousands that have gone before them. This island is a VERY competitive and difficult place to do business and only the best survive. And I think you'll find that most of those survivors in the bar and restaurant game have PR's.

You could use the same criteria for any any resort in any country, including UK resorts, but most do not have PR's.

willowlily
28-02-2012, 12:58
[QUOTE=Greg;148731]

You could use the same criteria for any any resort in any country, including UK resorts, but most do not have PR's.

i also think that pr's do give tenerife a bad name and is one of those things that can be considered when people re-book, the lucky luck men are as annoying
we were bombarded 20 times by these people during a 2 hour lunch in los cristianos

seanocelt
28-02-2012, 14:24
Like the illegal letting law, its not new, just allegedly being enforced. I walked from El Mirador to the market last night, same Prs out, no sign of clampdown, though i did see an Arona Policia Local on a motorbike stop and take a long look at a bunch.

murph
28-02-2012, 14:38
Not sure I agree with total ban,aggressive annoyance yes should be stopped Hard to enforce though? We eat in restaurants many times during regular visits to Tenerife and have been introduced to some good ones over the years by helpful PR's but being honest our top three fav ones were found by personal recommendation
Many of the PR's are trying to earn a few honest euros

I have a walk most days from Los Cris to PDLA and back when on holiday. Last year this very pleasant young lad tried to get me to come in to one of the upper level bars on Las Vistas beach every day - not pushy - usually had a laugh with him. I eventually gave in on one particularly warm day, had a couple of pints and was so impressed with the service, told his boss how good he was and returned with the family for a meal - I would genuinely not have tramped up all the steps if he hadn't been there - so I guess it worked for them.

The PR's outside the El Mirador strip group of bars though are a different thing altogether. These are street based and when you just want to go out for a meal with the family and you can't even read the menus for the PR's GETTING IN THE WAY, I just despair. Last year we kept walking, crossed the road did a U turn and walked down into town - despite staying over the road!

Medman
28-02-2012, 14:58
Going by the number of businesses that have PRs; the unemployment rate will increase dramatically if they enforce this. I don't particularly like some of the PRs but I choose whether to speak to them or not and/or take their advice. There's certainly worse nuisances going about.

macdonald5
28-02-2012, 15:17
[QUOTE=delderek;149035]

i also think that pr's do give tenerife a bad name and is one of those things that can be considered when people re-book, the lucky luck men are as annoying
we were bombarded 20 times by these people during a 2 hour lunch in los cristianos

Yes totally agree that looky looky men can be annoying but so to are the men with the violins almost in your face whilst eating??
We prefer to choose our entertainment or not as we see fit not be almost shamed into contributing
Same goes for the torches etc placed on table and purchase hard to resist

delderek
28-02-2012, 15:21
[QUOTE=willowlily;149065]

Yes totally agree that looky looky men can be annoying but so to are the men with the violins almost in your face whilst eating??
We prefer to choose our entertainment or not as we see fit not be almost shamed into contributing
Same goes for the torches etc placed on table and purchase hard to resist

Just too add, those torches at 5 euros, are very good value.

macdonald5
28-02-2012, 17:10
[QUOTE=macdonald5;149108]

Just too add, those torches at 5 euros, are very good value.

Yes would agree that's why we have bought 3 over last few years but still feel intrusion at tables

9PLUS
28-02-2012, 17:36
It should be up to the owner of the business to keep an eye on their PR's if they are hassling the public

I guess more importantly prostitutes & Lookie Lookie men should be removed

Simon-M
28-02-2012, 17:42
I guess more importantly prostitutes & Lookie Lookie men should be removed

As a professional yourself, you should have more respect for the oldest profession in the world :)

9PLUS
28-02-2012, 17:43
The sale of fake watches, fake sunglasses and Cocaine?

macdonald5
28-02-2012, 19:19
As a professional yourself, you should have more respect for the oldest profession in the world :)

We all know it goes on but should not be so obvious on public streets Profession can be most discreet without annoying 'not interested' holidaymakers or residents

warbey
28-02-2012, 21:02
I seem to remember another ..similar... Thread about being accosted by various People.
All of whom want Our Money.

I read a Post which stated the farthest Distance P.R's could go from the Entrance of the Business they were Pushing.

Walking along the upper Level past Veronicas, with P.R's and Police intermingling frankly makes Me wonder if the Police go by the same Laws..?.

Afew weeks ago We too had lots of Lookie Men in Cristianos.
Also in Las Americas. Take no notice after saying no and They go away.
Peep and they can be like a Dog with a Bone.

Last Year I saw a Lookie Man with a Chinese Woman.
I said "Oh hell We are in trouble now"!
He said "This is My Wife and Our Kids will be a lot harder to dodge"

They are Human, and I reckon a bit of banter goes well with both kinds P.R. or Looie
Not sure about the Chinese though who left Us alone this Year...
They seem to be occupied in opening Shops.
They seem to have a lot more now.

seanocelt
18-04-2012, 11:20
Last night, i spoke to 2 PR's " near Los Cris Harbour" They instigated the chat. One suddenly said "old bill". Both legged it, pursued by 2 Arona cops. I was sure they were about to pull me as a suspect too, so i popped into a bar and waited. I saw them search the locals for a good 10 mins, which is long here. So, its more aggressive than i thought. I have messaged a friend of mine who ps's nightly, letting him know , as many of us thought it was scaremongering, i do not anymore.

Greg
18-04-2012, 19:19
catalonia go bang? Sorry, what does it mean?

marbro8
18-04-2012, 20:08
Last night, i spoke to 2 PR's " near Los Cris Harbour" They instigated the chat. One suddenly said "old bill". Both legged it, pursued by 2 Arona cops. I was sure they were about to pull me as a suspect too, so i popped into a bar and waited. I saw them search the locals for a good 10 mins, which is long here. So, its more aggressive than i thought. I have messaged a friend of mine who ps's nightly, letting him know , as many of us thought it was scaremongering, i do not anymore.i havn't realy got a problem with pr's, only the pushy ones that can get quite aggressive if you turn them down on every occassion, then we tend to avoid the place at all costs,i wonder if it will stop at pr's or will the next purge be on the street traders like lookey lookey men and the chinese and deaf and dumb? my worry would be that if they could not earn money then the crime rate would soar because people do desperate things when they are hungry and homeless:(