PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat 8.5 week old dog with rabies found in Holland

nath
17-02-2012, 18:06
I just read online in a Dutch newspaper they put a 8.5 week old dog down in Amsterdam b/c it was diagnosed with Rabies. They are trying to trace all people who have been in contact with the dog.
On the 4th of February the dog was brought into Spain from Morocco (chipped and with health certificate) one week later it was transported to Holland. Holland was rabies-free since 1991.
I just hope this won't have a negative effect on the rules for the Western European countries and the transport of the animals.

caroletenerife
17-02-2012, 20:05
There are no rabies here in Tenerife but I get my dog vaccinated just in case. Thanks for the info. x

nath
17-02-2012, 20:24
Ours get vaccinated as well especially since we travel and want to be able to take them if needed. Do you know by any chance if the rabies vaccin they use in Holland (probably UK as well?) for 3 years will be accepted when travelling as well or does the shot still need to be repeated even though it is valid for 3 years? (Vet explained to me they don't have the vaccin over here, I did not really understand his explanation about the question I just asked so I thought maybe you know? (or someone else).

caroletenerife
17-02-2012, 20:35
I will Pm member Pets@home. They are the experts on the dog transportation front and what vaccinations are needed. Im sure they will post soon. x

nath
17-02-2012, 20:39
Thanks, I was planning on having the rabies done again this year to avoid any problems but I'd rather not put any more chemicals in my dogs as is necessary of course!

tracy hampshire
17-02-2012, 22:01
have my little lady done for everything, just incase, hope this dos'nt affect the new rules that has made it easier to take our dogs home, if god forbids needs be

nath
17-02-2012, 22:08
That's exactly what I was worried about. UK only just "opened" the boarders for dogs with mellowing down on the rules. It would be terrible that due to some idiots who are bending the rules (probably puppy mills) and sending sick dogs across the borders things would go back to how they were before.
So much for the status of Holland being "rabies-free" since 1991...

Pets@Home
18-02-2012, 11:13
Ours get vaccinated as well especially since we travel and want to be able to take them if needed. Do you know by any chance if the rabies vaccin they use in Holland (probably UK as well?) for 3 years will be accepted when travelling as well or does the shot still need to be repeated even though it is valid for 3 years? (Vet explained to me they don't have the vaccin over here, I did not really understand his explanation about the question I just asked so I thought maybe you know? (or someone else).

Hi the rabies if travelling has to be done on an annual basis. This applies to both cats and dogs,
if going back to the UK then the rabies has to be done within the last 12 months, or a fresh rabies
can be done if out of date, and a 21 day wait applied ............

Added after 5 minutes:

That's exactly what I was worried about. UK only just "opened" the boarders for dogs with mellowing down on the rules. It would be terrible that due to some idiots who are bending the rules (probably puppy mills) and sending sick dogs across the borders things would go back to how they were before.
So much for the status of Holland being "rabies-free" since 1991...

Lets hope it does not affect the new law for the UK, as currently I am sending home 23 dogs and cats over the next 6 weeks with another 13 already gone home. Compare that to only 11 last year for the whole year, this new law is wonderful and so wonderful now for owners, who want to take their animals home, last year the whole 7 months quarantine was difficult for people to fund, with many wanting all the money up front including the flight, now I am finding that 95% want pre flight board, so they can go ahead of their animals, which we are making inexpensive, because the flight prices have not come down, I dont think they will, so gives them a chance to save up and have their animals flown back as soon as they are able to fund it ........

nath
18-02-2012, 13:03
Thanks for the confirmation! At least I know now. Last year I had the blood test done not b/c we are planning on moving to UK but just to be on the safe side and be sure if we would even decide to move the paperwork would be in order. The first test failed (rabies shot was done here in TF just before we left for Holland for a few months) so a 2nd shot had to be given in Holland for 2nd test. Just after receiving the certificate the news came out about the change of rules. Very happy with the change of course just annoyed with spending the money (twice!) for the shots and test and then finding out it was all for nothing. Anyway just going to keep the shots up to date to keep the certificate valid just in case!

It is great that you are already seeing a difference in the quantity of animals which are taken back to the UK with their owners, I really hope these numbers will only increase!

BoPeep
18-02-2012, 15:59
I would love to take the dog we found roaming back to the UK for the summer and then over here every winter but there are no dog flights to East Midlands only Manchester and they cost a fortune.

Best flight seems to be Monarch but they fly in at 00.30 ish so how will we get the dog when 'Pets on Jets' is closed? Yet another cost for them to stay open for us I guess!

Any suggestions would be handy, I'm still trying to persuade my husband.....:ashamed:

Pets@Home
18-02-2012, 17:11
[QUOTE=BoPeep;145858]I would love to take the dog we found roaming back to the UK for the summer and then over here every winter but there are no dog flights to East Midlands only Manchester and they cost a fortune.

Best flight seems to be Monarch but they fly in at 00.30 ish so how will we get the dog when 'Pets on Jets' is closed? Yet another cost for them to stay open for us I guess!

Hi this is one of the many loopholes that owners fall into, until its too late.
Their are only 8 flights p/m that u can catch, to avoid the out of hours charges.
I use Monarch and Thompsons alike,depending on the circumstances of the animal.

They only go to Manchester of LGW, so Manchester being the closest.
If u need the help get in touch with me, and will quote you everything needed.
Please note flight to Manchester 545 sterling, one of the cheapest around, if its just a cat
or cats then 450 pounds sterling, get in touch for more details .....

Nath, yes I am so pleased now about the new law, again if u need help to arrange, this is what
I do, so get in touch via p/m ......