PDA

View Full Version : Pavement touts will prove costly

Canarian Weekly
18-02-2012, 14:00
ARONA Council is clamping down on restaurant owners who drum up business with pavement PRs. The Town Hall is imposing initial fines of 750 euros, increasing to 1,500 euros for subsequent offences. So far, some 30 penalties have been levied by the local police, and Adeje Town Hall is adopting similar measures, but with lower [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/pavement-touts-prove-costly/)

chips
22-02-2012, 14:39
Hi could someone please tell me where is Arona and where is the picture in the headline ,i must admit sometimes when you are looking at a menu and someone start giving the hard sell i tend to walk away ,so maybe its a good thing thanks .Chips

slodgedad
22-02-2012, 14:48
Hi could someone please tell me where is Arona and where is the picture in the headline ,i must admit sometimes when you are looking at a menu and someone start giving the hard sell i tend to walk away ,so maybe its a good thing thanks .Chips

Although Arona is also a town this refers to Arona district which encompasses the southern resorts and towns from mid Las Americas to Parque La Reina including Los Cristianos.

AL JAY
22-02-2012, 15:02
Here is a link to the Municipality of Arona, Im guessing the picture in the headline is the slope of shops/restaurantes in Fanabé,Im only guessing though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arona,_Tenerife

It has a map showing Arona in red.

marbro8
22-02-2012, 20:38
if it's implimented it will make a lot of people unemployed

chips
22-02-2012, 20:47
Hi Al Jay ,yeah i thought that to ,but the centre walkway with the Colonial pub at the bottom has steps and the others are wider but thanks anyway.Chips

Sal
22-02-2012, 20:56
To be honest some of the PR guys are a pain in the proverbial. We know the restaurants we want to use and if we decide to try a new one it is our choice - not because we have been brow-beaten into it.
On the other hand - some of them just have some friendly banter and know they won't get your custom, and that's fine!

warbey
22-02-2012, 21:02
Last week, II had a disagreement with an "Indian" Person along the Prom from where Chaplins used to be.
He was trying to get us into the Shop selling Electronics etc by the Kiddies Playground.
He tried to grab My Wife and I intervened.....

Wonder if that fits the Legislation too...?

marbro8
22-02-2012, 21:36
Last week, II had a disagreement with an "Indian" Person along the Prom from where Chaplins used to be.
He was trying to get us into the Shop selling Electronics etc by the Kiddies Playground.
He tried to grab My Wife and I intervened.....

Wonder if that fits the Legislation too...?i don't think i have ever read a good thing about those places:redcard:

YOUNG GOLFER
22-02-2012, 23:50
Well not to sure about this because we all know people who need these PR's to get extra business and most are nice folk.....but i guess at the end of the day if you are on holiday here you don't want to have to cross the road to avoid them.
My friend who has 3 bars here has no PR's and never has....but there are 5 guys outside his business every day/night who all work for other places and he is very happy this law has been brought in.
I know there will be alot of people out of a job and yes thats sad but most don't pay any taxes or social anyway so why should the be allowed in the first place....and to be honest some are really rude and i am sure most people will love to see the back of them.
One business i know has 3 yes 3 PR's and i think thats taking the biscuit.
Outside my shop there are 3 PR's and it is at times a little anoying.

marbro8
23-02-2012, 00:04
as far as i can remember taylors does not have any and you can't get a seat in there most nights and i don't think manhattan bar has either

YOUNG GOLFER
23-02-2012, 00:12
as far as i can remember taylors does not have any and you can't get a seat in there most nights and i don't think manhattan bar has either

Which tells me they must be good bars......i can understand someone taking on PR's to help promote a new business but once established it should then have repeat happy customers and not just folk on holiday buy people who live here a good example for me is the Pheasent Plucker it always seems busy with both sets of clients.

kathml
23-02-2012, 00:53
You've got to remember that most tourists are not regular coming either every year or several times a year they come once maybe again in a few years time if ever so the only way to get custom for many bars is someone outside to pull them in and while I agree that PRs are a pain in the butt if you are a regular visitor I can see the need for them

SeanC
23-02-2012, 01:16
Personally, I'm delighted they're getting on top of the nuisance that is PR's. I find them a complete pain in the a*se & won't venture anywhere near an establishment with one prowling the footpath outside. I'm over 18 years of age & can actually read the menu without any help, thanks very much rolleyes2:

Now, granted, I live here so I'm probably not exactly their target audience. But, consider this. Bars/restaurants in non-tourist zones of the island (never mind many European countries) don't have anyone at their door and, by some sort of miracle, have customers inside. Fancy that!

Rant over.....one of my pet hates, as you can see.

seanocelt
23-02-2012, 02:15
Just want to point out that have no idea who SeanC is, and we are not the same person. But; i totally agree with him.

Simon-M
23-02-2012, 09:27
Just want to point out that have no idea who SeanC is, and we are not the same person. But; i totally agree with him.

Definitely the same :)

seanocelt
23-02-2012, 11:40
Working in Los Cris nightly, i pass 10 Prs, no change so far, or any mention of anyone being fined.

West mids tyke
23-02-2012, 12:00
Prs are a pain sometimes other times you can have a laugh with them NO means exactly that but if the bar or retaurants are full that tells you they are worthwhile for going in and making your own mind up to do that, if there is nobody in then that can also tell you a story too, when you are on holiday or even live in a place you dont need people making decisions for you, its up to me and my oh where we drink, eat or whatever, yet another new law being brought in that doesnt seem to be getting enforced unless it suits the arona council

KirstyJay
23-02-2012, 13:34
Here is a link to the Municipality of Arona, Im guessing the picture in the headline is the slope of shops/restaurantes in Fanabé,Im only guessing though.

The row of shops is Juan XXIII in Los Cristianos. The road parallel to Avenida de Suecia.

KirstyJay
23-02-2012, 13:42
I know there will be alot of people out of a job and yes thats sad but most don't pay any taxes or social anyway so why should the be allowed in the first place....and to be honest some are really rude and i am sure most people will love to see the back of them.

First of all, I'm not a fan of PRs hassling me when I'm out and about, but I do know a few and they're not bad people. They do a thankless job. I've even done it myself in Greece years ago and it's not a nice job....

However in response to YG's comment quoted above, I think the fact that a lot may not be paying social is that their employers do not give them legal contracts anyway, so it's hardly the PR's fault that they don't pay tax in the majority of circumstances.

The government loses more on tax fraud by BUSINESSES in Tenerife than individuals... however I believe there's a crackdown on this due too... so watch your contracts folks!!!

I_N_Cognito
23-02-2012, 18:57
The row of shops is Juan XXIII in Los Cristianos. The road parallel to Avenida de Suecia.
I thought that, but is it not a bit too narrow?

redarrow
23-02-2012, 19:03
It's basically another easy way of getting a few bob in the coffers. I know of a reputable restaurant/bar in my area, where, because they frequently wine & dine councillors etc, they constantly break the laws without having to worry about it (including not giving any of their staff contracts).

There are loads of shops illegally selling (washing) money like crazy, and you ask the police for advice and they don't want to know.

There is so much going on under the councils noses, and the best they can do is hand out a few fines on PR's. It'll all die down once they reach their targets.

asox39
08-03-2012, 22:18
I Heard today that 3 Prs got fines down by La vistas beach yesterday

delderek
09-03-2012, 09:56
I thought that, but is it not a bit too narrow?

I agree, it's too narrow for that street, but it does look very very similar.