PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had their rental deposit withheld using dubious reasons in Tenerife?

Roadkingrider
18-02-2012, 18:00
Has anyone had a bad experience with being withheld (ie: robbed) of any of their flat rental deposit money due to 'fictional' problems with the flat when leaving? I was royally ripped-off by The Tenerife Property Shop - apparently they have a reputation for always doing this to both private and businesss lets. I suspect this practice if rife in Tenerife. I feel a feature coming on, perhaps in one of the English papers here.

s1monsg
18-02-2012, 19:46
Maria Morales in San Eugenio took all our deposit money, we are dealing with the owner for a year now but he was way out of pocket. Very sad

caroletenerife
18-02-2012, 19:53
I lived in a place that was known for keeping deposits regardless...I just didnt pay my last months rent and told them to keep the deposit. I understand it is supposed to cover any damage , unpaid bills etc. But so many landlords have no intention of giving it back, even if everything is in order, I dont feel bad about it, its not like they were out of pocket, they just did not get the chance to rip me off x

Simon-M
18-02-2012, 20:26
I had ALL our deposit returned by 2nd Home Tenerife so they are not all sharks.

timmylish
18-02-2012, 21:31
Same as. Just don,t pay last moths rent. You,ll get two weeks if nothing else.

ruffus
18-02-2012, 21:59
At our last place, the owner withheld 200 euros to cover an electricity bill that we would owe, bearing in mind this was for one month !!!. We were told if it was less, then we would have the difference.... this never happened. We were also charged 170 euros for cleaning the place too !! I had already painted marks that we had made, but still we got charged that amount. I think it might be wise just to leave without telling them now !! Luckily where we are now, the owners are lovely and honest people, so hopefully nothing like this might happen again to us.

caretenerife
15-02-2013, 18:44
up to now any property I have rented or acted on behalf of clients, there has always been some ficticious reason not to refund it, the latest one was because the pool was dirty!!

Roadkingrider
16-02-2013, 00:57
I was Royally ripped off by the lovely Tenerife Property Shop to the tune of 200 euros when I lived in Palm Mar - this company is apparently well known for this, making a nice little side line of profit. Don't rent off them - you have been warned.

CIM
16-02-2013, 01:32
I didnt know they did rentals? Definitely them?

bonitatime
16-02-2013, 07:57
Same as. Just don,t pay last moths rent. You,ll get two weeks if nothing else.

So the landlord should jus swallow the last set of bills

dede
16-02-2013, 10:22
I have always got my full deposit back off every house i have lived in here in tenerife, having said that the house i am about to leave was different, the landlady tells me when i give my notice in that the deposit was simply "non refundable" as if...... I am just not paying my last months rent, and leaving enough to pay the bills., theres no way anyone is going to have 600 of my hard earned money for nothing.

princessmonika
16-02-2013, 17:12
so right dede money is hard earned and the pensions are not that great that you can give money away

karinagal
17-02-2013, 11:38
I have always got my full deposit back off every house i have lived in here in tenerife, having said that the house i am about to leave was different, the landlady tells me when i give my notice in that the deposit was simply "non refundable" as if...... I am just not paying my last months rent, and leaving enough to pay the bills., theres no way anyone is going to have 600 of my hard earned money for nothing.

That's shocking - you're quite right to withhold payment!