PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so little WiFi connection in rental apartments in Tenerife?

Gfplux
10-06-2011, 19:15
We will be renting an apartment in 2012 for a month. I am having a problem finding places with Internet connections. If they have Internet it is not wifi but an Ethernet cable.
Or
The complex has wifi, BUT, the signal is poor or more likely non existent.

Don't owners realize that this has become a deal breaker!!
With laptops and net books an Ethernet cable connection to the Internet was ok. However now with smart phones (iPhone, blackberry, Android etc) These can not connect by cable but must connect by wifi. Visitors like me will have data roaming switched off and will only be able to use our smart phone properly with wifi.
Why is Tenerife so behind in this. Is it because so many owners and visitors do not have Internet with wifi at home?

sleepy
10-06-2011, 19:29
I wouldn't necessarily say that Tenerife was behind in this but cost plays a major part.It's the most expensive internet in Europe!!

Roadkingrider
10-06-2011, 20:24
More to the point, what has Tenerife South airport not got WiFi or any computer terminals? It's a joke in this day and age. What better way to keep kids (and businessmen) happy while waiting than have an internet cafe/games room thing. I recently travelled through Malta airport and the whole terminal had WiFi - free! Wake up Tenerife for God's sake!

slodgedad
10-06-2011, 20:54
More to the point, what has Tenerife South airport not got WiFi or any computer terminals? It's a joke in this day and age. What better way to keep kids (and businessmen) happy while waiting than have an internet cafe/games room thing. I recently travelled through Malta airport and the whole terminal had WiFi - free! Wake up Tenerife for God's sake!

It will as soon as the system is completed that will take the power out of Telefonica's hands.

As has been mentioned, until lately the cost of internet connection in Tenerife has been extortionate compared to the rest of Europe.

For what I pay for monthly internet connection here I could get TV included for 2months in the UK.

Competition is just around the corner. Can't wait

Pooh
10-06-2011, 20:56
I wouldn't necessarily say that Tenerife was behind in this but cost plays a major part.It's the most expensive internet in Europe!!

Far from the most expensive... For example, I pay about half here, for better ADSL speed than I got when previously living in Cyprus.
And there are a lot of places which are a lot worse.
Considering how far away Tenerife is from mainland Spain, I'm surprised it's not more expensive than it is. (We're actually in Africa!)

tonypub
10-06-2011, 21:00
We will be renting an apartment in 2012 for a month. I am having a problem finding places with Internet connections. If they have Internet it is not wifi but an Ethernet cable.
Or

With laptops and net books an Ethernet cable connection to the Internet was ok. However now with smart phones (iPhone, blackberry, Android etc) These can not connect by cable but must connect by wifi. Visitors like me will have data roaming switched off and will only be able to use our smart phone properly with wifi.
Why is Tenerife so behind in this. Is it because so many owners and visitors do not have Internet with wifi at home?there is a glut of businesses with free wifi,so pop in spend a euro n the net is all yours

sleepy
10-06-2011, 21:12
Far from the most expensive... For example, I pay about half here, for better ADSL speed than I got when previously living in Cyprus.
And there are a lot of places which are a lot worse.
Considering how far away Tenerife is from mainland Spain, I'm surprised it's not more expensive than it is. (We're actually in Africa!)

But we're not talking about other places.We are concerned with Tenerife and Telefonica's extortionate rates.

hedgehog
11-06-2011, 10:39
It will as soon as the system is completed that will take the power out of Telefonica's hands.

As has been mentioned, until lately the cost of internet connection in Tenerife has been extortionate compared to the rest of Europe.

For what I pay for monthly internet connection here I could get TV included for 2months in the UK.

Competition is just around the corner. Can't wait

In my experience just around the corner can be years away here on the reef...does anyone know a realistic timescale for this?

karinagal
11-06-2011, 13:56
Or

Why is Tenerife so behind in this. Is it because so many owners and visitors do not have Internet with wifi at home?

I would reckon that there are 2 problems here - 1 is most definitely the exorbitant cost, 2 is the security implications if a tenant should use the wifi to hack a secure website or to download illicit material... The only reason I have broadband in my apartment is that if it's not myself using it, it's close family or trusted friends only...

Pooh
11-06-2011, 14:13
But we're not talking about other places.We are concerned with Tenerife and Telefonica's extortionate rates.

My point was that you wrote it's the most expensive in Europe, when it isn't. I didn't say it still wasn't expensive, but to say it's the most expensive is very far from the truth.
Still, you can't expect the cost for the cables to the mainland not to be carried over to the consumer. TANSTAAFL.
Someone always has to pay, and that's always the consumer in the end. We can't deny that we live on a remote island, where delivering internet is more expensive than on the mainland, so I won't expect it ever to become as cheap as in mainland Spain, and never close to the price in Northern Europe, simply because the cost really is much greater for the supplier.

mossy
11-06-2011, 14:16
Surely if there is a letting contract,then the landlord won't be responsible for the tennants' surfing habits.

AL JAY
11-06-2011, 14:24
I haven't even got a Surfboard:whistle::D

mossy
11-06-2011, 14:56
You don't need one where you are :lol:

Gfplux
12-06-2011, 20:14
I would reckon that there are 2 problems here - 1 is most definitely the exorbitant cost, 2 is the security implications if a tenant should use the wifi to hack a secure website or to download illicit material... The only reason I have broadband in my apartment is that if it's not myself using it, it's close family or trusted friends only...

Could you tell me how much a month your Internet costs.

Jackie
12-06-2011, 20:25
I think people renting out also have to take into account the cost of having internet in their apartments. It is OK if they know everyone they are letting to is going to use it but honestly how can it be cost effective to have internet in a rental apartment and it only be used say six months out of twelve. That means they are paying for something that is not even being used and then who will pick up the extra cost, the renters because the owner has to get their money back somehow.

markcuk
12-06-2011, 20:48
just have a hot spot. the renters just use there credit cards to pay for time or can buy prepaid vouchers for time

sleepy
12-06-2011, 20:51

€54.77 per month which includes 6mb,line rental and free local calls that most Brits could do without.
Now..I dare anyone to say that's not extortion!!!

Loaded
12-06-2011, 21:39
this something we've addressed at Paloma Beach Apartments, you can now get FREE WIFI around the pool and reception.

tonym
12-06-2011, 22:28
our complex also has wifi, but unfortunately we´ve got no letting agent so lets are out unless you´re family or friend !!!!!!

Loaded
12-06-2011, 22:32
Ooooh don't get me started!!! Lol

Vortex Wake
12-06-2011, 22:40
this something we've addressed at Paloma Beach Apartments, you can now get FREE WIFI around the pool and reception.

Can't you get some wifi repeaters fitted too so those of us who stay on the ground floor at PB can get a signal too ?

Loaded
12-06-2011, 22:51
Can't you get some wifi repeaters fitted too so those of us who stay on the ground floor at PB can get a signal too ?

There are some repeaters which belong to the pool bar but it's a paid service

lcbandit
13-06-2011, 00:41
we have wifi on our complex if people wish to use it they can go into the community office and pay 5euros to use it I think that is per month, but not sure how far the signal spreads to, I've seen people sat outside the community office using their laptops, this is obviously a cheaper option than having internet in their apartments.

me personally wouldn't even consider having it in my apartment because of the cost implication and perhaps misuse, its not worth it for the amount of time it is let out to 'friends'

Gfplux
13-06-2011, 06:43
As a customer I would have no problem paying extra for high speed WIFI Internet connection. My problem is that WIFI is not available in apartments I would want to rent.
I think owners will have to think about this for the future as more renters will expect this. In a competitive market this might make the difference.

TOTO 99
13-06-2011, 07:41
As a customer I would have no problem paying extra for high speed WIFI Internet connection. My problem is that WIFI is not available in apartments I would want to rent.
I think owners will have to think about this for the future as more renters will expect this. In a competitive market this might make the difference.

I think the problem would be that the costs accross the year would be passed on to the renter in good faith prior to your arrival. How would you feel if it ( as it sometimes does ) went off for technical reasons? The apartment owner could not guarantee the service but you would still have paid for it. I think very few owners would want that hassle.

karinagal
13-06-2011, 09:36

My first monthly bill was @ €41 for line rental and 6mb broadband..

lcbandit
13-06-2011, 11:27

as an owner it wouldn't be prudent for me to pay for wifi or any internet, i dont even have a phone line in as i use my mobile when out there, the cost is just far too much to be sat doing nothing for months! can't speak for other owners though, I suppose if they have rentals coming out of their ears then maybe it is an option with them, I do find that there are plenty of places that do have free wifi connections though, so no need for an apartment to have it really :D

Topacciolo
13-06-2011, 11:37
Hi Gfplux, in my building there is Internet supply by the building community but you have to pay €1.00 a day to use it. I do supply a wifi router for the same reasons that you listed (laptop but mainly my lovely iPhone) so if you need a place (and a beautiful one) with wifi let me know!!!
Don't expect HD streaming but you can surf and you can use the iPhone for email and general surfing!!
Let me know!!

Topacciolo

Loaded
13-06-2011, 16:10
as per new tourist laws from Oct 2010, all 3 star and above accommodation has to provide free wifi in Reception.

tonypub
13-06-2011, 16:17
I think owners will have to think about this for the future as more renters will expect this. In a competitive market this might make the difference.bet its great holidaying with you:):typing:

Jimandsi
13-06-2011, 16:36
as per new tourist laws from Oct 2010, all 3 star and above accommodation has to provide free wifi in Reception.

Are there any three star rentals in Tenerife though ? :whistle:

Gfplux
13-06-2011, 19:33
Internet costs in Tenerife.
Sleepy is paying €54.77 a month for 6mb, line rental and free local calls
Karinagal €41 perhaps without free local calls.

What are the names of the suppliers.

Anyone else prepared to to help out with their prices

Any other prices?

Jackie
13-06-2011, 20:12
I pay 17.50 per month line rental plus 40.50 per month internet, supposed to be 3mb but lucky if I get 0.50mb, free local calls and 300 free minutes per month to the UK.

Total 57.50 Line rental Telefonica, Internet etc Direct Telecom

cainaries
13-06-2011, 20:18
I pay 17.50 per month line rental plus 40.50 per month internet, supposed to be 3mb but lucky if I get 0.50mb, free local calls and 300 free minutes per month to the UK.

Total 57.50 Line rental Telefonica, Internet etc Direct Telecom
Sending myself to the Dungeon immediately but a few days ago there was a French couple who wrote .. in excellent English ... about moving to Tenerife and running their web business from here and the guy said 'silly question but ... ' internet connection speed - high-class was vital to his business. Maybe it's better at sea-level in big urbanisations in Tenerife but it certainly annoys the hell out of us that we are paying for a speed 6 times what we are getting and no-one in Telefonica is interested in sorting it out.

And, even if the market is freed up ... I understand telefonica will still be supplying the lines ... or am I wrong? We tried a company called Tele2 a couple of years ago and they couldn't really solve any technical problems because they're just renting lines from telefonica.

hedgehog
13-06-2011, 20:20
I pay 13.97 per month line rental plus 39.50 per month internet, ("up to be 8mb" but get about 6.5, also free local calls and 300 free minutes to main countries in europe (including uk)

I'm also with Direct Telecom Jackie - you might want to check what you pay!

Jackie
13-06-2011, 20:22
I pay 13.97 per month line rental plus 39.50 per month internet, ("up to be 8mb" but get about 6.5, also free local calls and 300 free minutes to main countries in europe (including uk)

I'm also with Direct Telecom Jackie - you might want to check what you pay!

Who is your line rental with?? But there is a 1 euro admin charge every month on my bill so brings it to 40.50

hedgehog
13-06-2011, 20:24
Who is your line rental with?? But there is a 1 euro admin charge every month on my bill so brings it to 40.50

Line rental is with Direct Telecom too and if you get your invoices emailed your admin fee drops to 60 cts!

markcuk
13-06-2011, 20:26
you will find most of the speed problems will be down to the telephone wiring in your complex etc (my mums telephone cable to her apartment is bell wire)

Harmonicaman
13-06-2011, 20:27
Where's that Harlequin fella that was on the old forum? He was promising lower prices and faster speeds.

Jackie
13-06-2011, 20:28
Line rental is with Direct Telecom too and if you get your invoices emailed your admin fee drops to 60 cts!

Not worried about saving 40cts on the bill, I like to have the paper bill in front of me so I can check it properly and always have it as reference. I thought Direct Telecom still have to use Telefonica for the line but they just take over the billing etc.

hedgehog
13-06-2011, 20:29
From what I understand nobody can offer higher speeds - whoever you go with, the buck stops with Telefonica, they own it all - doesnt matter who you rent it from it's the same system!

Jackie
13-06-2011, 20:29
you will find most of the speed problems will be down to the telephone wiring in your complex etc (my mums telephone cable to her apartment is bell wire)

Mine is apparently because I am a long way from the exchange up here in the hills.

hedgehog
13-06-2011, 20:31
Not worried about saving 40cts on the bill, I like to have the paper bill in front of me so I can check it properly and always have it as reference. I thought Direct Telecom still have to use Telefonica for the line but they just take over the billing etc.

That's right, just wondered why you pay 17.50 and I pay 13.97!

markcuk
13-06-2011, 20:32
Mine is apparently because I am a long way from the exchange up here in the hills.

thats another reason :lol:

hedgehog
13-06-2011, 20:32
Yeah, I'm luckily apparently pretty close to my "exhange" :)

Jackie
13-06-2011, 21:39
That's right, just wondered why you pay 17.50 and I pay 13.97!

yes me too..maybe will have to speak to Direct Telecom and ask how they can provide their line rental cheaper than Telefonica when they are using the same line...maybe time for a change

sleepy
13-06-2011, 21:54
When I think back a while,Direct Telecom were making all these claims about how they could undercut Telefonica's prices but so far I've not seen any evidence.In fact if anything it costs more through them.
I think over the next few months we'll all be bombarded with much better offers from many different company's.

slodgedad
13-06-2011, 22:00
yes me too..maybe will have to speak to Direct Telecom and ask how they can provide their line rental cheaper than Telefonica when they are using the same line...maybe time for a change

I know DT charge less because they only charge for line rental. If you check your Telefonica bill there's allsorts added before your calls that no one ever checks, including a life time rental of the actual phone, whether you want it or not.

Jackie
13-06-2011, 22:03
I know DT charge less because they only charge for line rental. If you check your Telefonica bill there's allsorts added before your calls that no one ever checks, including a life time rental of the actual phone, whether you want it or not.

I have checked my bill and it is only for the line rental. I have never had a Telefonica phone and obviously all my calls go through Direct Telecom. This is what I can't understand, how do DT charge less for their line rental when it goes through Telefonica...confused.com

timmylish
13-06-2011, 23:16
Well our last months Telefonica bill, to include line rental, internet at up to 10mgs (getting 7,8 or 9 most of the time), all calls in Spain, free mobile calls Saturday & Sundays with Spanish numbers etc etc. Also made a number of calls to the UK and quite a number of faxes to the UK. Total all in;- 36.68€

sleepy
13-06-2011, 23:33
Well our last months Telefonica bill, to include line rental, internet at up to 10mgs (getting 7,8 or 9 most of the time), all calls in Spain, free mobile calls Saturday & Sundays with Spanish numbers etc etc. Also made a number of calls to the UK and quite a number of faxes to the UK. Total all in;- 36.68€

I'd be interested to know how your contract worked?For example when I signed up for my Telefonica contract for a minimum term of 18 months,the first 12 months was something like €29 per month then it virtually doubled.

timmylish
13-06-2011, 23:40
Havn,t a clue. Just signed up, I think for 12 months, last December. When that is due to expire we,ll look around, again, for the correct one for us, the same as everything else we do like Insurances etc etc.
Anyway, by then, I fully expect that there will be more than just Telefonica in the market!

sleepy
13-06-2011, 23:44
Havn,t a clue. Just signed up, I think for 12 months, last December. When that is due to expire we,ll look around, again, for the correct one for us, the same as everything else we do like Insurances etc etc.
Anyway, by then, I fully expect that there will be more than just Telefonica in the market!

Even so,that sounds like you got a good deal.

TenerifePool
14-06-2011, 00:04
I ordered a landline from Telefonica yesterday for a friend. 13€ and a bit per month line rental plus 19.90 for the ADSL and call plan which includes all landline calls, 500 minutes per month weekend calls to mobiles and 50 minutes per month weekday calls to mobiles.

I'm going to change my lines to this plan tomorrow.

Suej
14-06-2011, 18:39

My bill :confused:is never less than 60€ a month...How come?

TenerifePool
14-06-2011, 18:44
My bill :confused:is never less than 60€ a month...How come?

You're on an old tarriff, so was I until today, They won't tell existing customers about the new tarrif's unless you ask to change.

Gfplux
15-06-2011, 08:23
So this is a summary of what some people are paying for line rental, Internet, free local calls and some free minutes to England. Vat included.

Sleepy 54.77
Karinagal 41.00
Jackie 58.00
Hedgehog 53.47
Timmyfish 36.68
Tenerifepool 32.90
Suej + 60

Hopefully we will hear from others about their prices and perhaps everyone can move to €32.90 a month just like Tenerifepool.
AND then perhaps Internet and wifi will become a given when looking for accommodation in Tenerife.

Jackie
15-06-2011, 09:33
So this is a summary of what some people are paying for line rental, Internet, free local calls and some free minutes to England. Vat included.

Sleepy 54.77
Karinagal 41.00
Jackie 58.00
Hedgehog 53.47
Timmyfish 36.68
Tenerifepool 32.90
Suej + 60

Hopefully we will hear from others about their prices and perhaps everyone can move to €32.90 a month just like Tenerifepool.
AND then perhaps Internet and wifi will become a given when looking for accommodation in Tenerife.

Sorry but I will not be going to Telefonica for anything that I don't have to. Some people have been lucky dealing with them but you are obviously not aware of the problems some people have with them. It is all very well you saying that but when there is a fault or your bill is wrong it is us that have to deal with them not the holiday maker. I would rather know that there is someone on the other end of the line that I can explain the problem to and be told exactly what they are going to do about it and when, not 'we will deal with it' and then they don't.
I had a problem with my Internet last year where the signal kept dropping. Because my ADSL line is with Telefonica that was the first port of call. The engineer told me that all my telephone cables in the house needed replacing because they were faulty. Do you know how much that would have cost in a four storey house with 6 Telephone sockets on various levels? Thank god my husband is an electrician and checked for himself because there wasn't a damn thing wrong with any of the cables, it was a fault with the router but DT couldn't do anything until Telefonica had checked the line. The cheapest is not always the best for Customer Service

tonypub
15-06-2011, 09:36

Sleepy 54.77
Karinagal 41.00
Jackie 58.00
Hedgehog 53.47
Timmyfish 36.68
Tenerifepool 32.90
Suej + 60

AND then perhaps Internet and wifi will become a given when looking for accommodation in Tenerife.lovin the return of timmyfish:crylaughing:

sleepy
15-06-2011, 09:57
You're on an old tarriff, so was I until today, They won't tell existing customers about the new tarrif's unless you ask to change.

Thanks for the good advice.
So....would you mind telling us all exactly which new tariff you took out and exactly what spec's you got with it?

Jackie
15-06-2011, 10:09
Thanks for the good advice.
So....would you mind telling us all exactly which new tariff you took out and exactly what spec's you got with it?

See post number 54 :)

sleepy
15-06-2011, 10:43
See post number 54 :)

I did but I don't see any mention of ADSL speeds in it :)

Jackie
15-06-2011, 10:59
I did but I don't see any mention of ADSL speeds in it :)

sorry thought you just wanted to know what he got for his money.

TenerifePool
15-06-2011, 12:38
I think the speeds vary according to location.

I get 2-3 Mb here depending upon the weather, less if it's raining.

karinagal
15-06-2011, 12:47
I ordered my line and broadband through http://www.movistarinenglish.co.uk/index.html and when I tested it I got download speed of 5.8 mb (my service is up to 6mb). My package includes free local/national calls and 500 minutes to Spanish mobiles at the weekend but no UK calls. I use Skype for the UK calls (or FaceTime on my phone).

clipityclop
16-06-2011, 12:54
hi

I work on a complex with full wi fi , we started having it on our restaurant and will soon be activation it for all appts with a small cost possibly , we have all the antennas in , I dont know why everywhere doesnt have it but considering most hotels or receptions have internet where you have to pay maybe this is a point ,also if it is a private residential complex without a reception the owners would have to vote to pay for the wi fi and I beleive you have to have a landline of some discription ,Im not the expert on wi fi but this is just my idea of an opinion but I could be wrong

Or

timmylish
16-06-2011, 23:32
lovin the return of timmyfish:crylaughing:

From where?

cainaries
16-06-2011, 23:57
I ordered my line and broadband through http://www.movistarinenglish.co.uk/index.html and when I tested it I got download speed of 5.8 mb (my service is up to 6mb). My package includes free local/national calls and 500 minutes to Spanish mobiles at the weekend but no UK calls. I use Skype for the UK calls (or FaceTime on my phone).
Thanks for the link, KG, I'll give it a go to see if we can get our bill to reflect reality.

Gfplux
17-06-2011, 08:14
hello Cainaries,
how much do you pay at the moment?