PDA

View Full Version : Solid state drive (SSD memory) discussion

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 16:21
Solid state drive (SSD memory) discussion

I'm looking at SSD memory ideas - either via the unused internal second laptop SATA connector, or via an external eSATA connector, or via an Express card 54 slot on my laptop.

I know one or two members use SSD's, and boot the OS from them too, but my hope in using an SSD it to speed up HD video editing (by say, running the video editor from the SSD, or using it as a 'scratch disk ??) - I just can't decide (or get my head around) what is the best option.

Any one got experience or further info on the subject??

:)

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 16:30
I use one from crucial. It fits the usual SATA connector that the internal drive was connected to. I use it because I dropped 2 laptops in the space of a week. Both were dead because the hard drive platters moved more than they should of done. With an SSD this can never happen. I use it for robustness.

markcuk
21-02-2012, 16:47
They are not as reliable as your might think because they rely on software firmware more than mechanical drives!! I would avoid anything that uses sandforce controllers (can cause BSOD and loss of data etc).

Best brands I have seen are crucial m4 and intel others are cheaper but use the sandforce controller!

These are a good alternative http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

Mark

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 16:51
Mechanical drives don't like being rattled :) SSD drives don't mind it at all. So from a robustness perspective SSD drives far out perform standard drives with platters.

markcuk
21-02-2012, 16:59
Mechanical drives don't like being rattled :) SSD drives don't mind it at all. So from a robustness perspective SSD drives far out perform standard drives with platters.

True but I sold 4 new adata ssd's when I lived in New Zealand the drives were brand new on the market they were back in store a fews days later becuase the firmware was rubbish and caused BSOD customer spent $15k on the computer and was not a happy chap. We had to put in some wd raptors till adata released a safe firmware :lol:

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 17:08
The technology is mature enough now to be a lot more reliable. Stick to one of the top brands like Crucial and you wan't go far wrong :)

markcuk
21-02-2012, 17:14
The technology is mature enough now to be a lot more reliable. Stick to one of the top brands like Crucial and you wan't go far wrong :)

I have a crucial m4 128gb not the fastest but one of the most reliable!

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 17:17
256 for me :)

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 17:20
I was thinking of using an ssd Express card version since I understand that throughput speed is the same (although a bit more costly).

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 17:24
Try buying a laptop with an express card slot or even an external express card reader. Rare as rocking horse do do as it's a technology that never really took off.

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 17:46
I have already got an Expresscard 54 slot . The last time it got used was when I plugged in a firewire adaptor .

If I could avoid using the second internal SATA drive connector for the SSD , I could also add a standard hard disk for photo / video storage.

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 17:51
I have already got an Expresscard 54 slot . The last time it got used was when I plugged in a firewire adaptor .

If I could avoid using the second internal SATA drive connector for the SSD , I could also add a standard hard disk for photo / video storage.

You will be lucky to find much that works with an express card slot. It really is a defunct technology that never took off.

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 17:55
Yes - hence shoving an SSD in the slot to make use of the thing :)

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 17:56
Yes - hence shoving an SSD in the slot to make use of the thing :) I would be REALLY very surprised if you found a fitting to fit to the drive that fitted in the slot. Very surprised.

markcuk
21-02-2012, 17:56
They do exist http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ssd+Express+card&psj=1&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=114l114l0l449l1l1l0l0l0l0l282l282l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=669&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10817250112965174416&sa=X&ei=kMxDT5fSM8LS0QXXxsSPDw&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAQ

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 17:59
Yes I have already found a couple.

I suspect booting from an Expresscard ssd may be a problem ?

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 18:01
They do exist http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ssd+Express+card&psj=1&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=114l114l0l449l1l1l0l0l0l0l282l282l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=669&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10817250112965174416&sa=X&ei=kMxDT5fSM8LS0QXXxsSPDw&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAQ

I stand corrected.

markcuk
21-02-2012, 18:16
Yes I have already found a couple.

I suspect booting from an Expresscard ssd may be a problem ?

I have seen it done with an apple macbook pro. I dont think windows 7 supports it or has a driver does you bios support boot from expresscard?

CIM
21-02-2012, 20:24
I am going to have a PC built at some point this year (always just bought one in the past) and was going to use an SSD as they typical "C Drive" so operating system is fast. Is that what most people are using these for?? How much space are operating systems taking up these days as I was thinking 256GB would be of sufficient size for a C Drive with OS, Documents, profiles, Office software etc - all the usual stuff that gets stored on there.

Simon-M
21-02-2012, 20:26
I am going to have a PC built at some point this year (always just bought one in the past) and was going to use an SSD as they typical "C Drive" so operating system is fast. Is that what most people are using these for?? How much space are operating systems taking up these days as I was thinking 256GB would be of sufficient size for a C Drive with OS, Documents, profiles, Office software etc - all the usual stuff that gets stored on there.

Mines a 256 and it's fine for everyday work like activity.

markcuk
21-02-2012, 20:28

Should be fine.

Vortex Wake
21-02-2012, 21:51
They are not as reliable as your might think because they rely on software firmware more than mechanical drives!! I would avoid anything that uses sandforce controllers (can cause BSOD and loss of data etc).

Best brands I have seen are crucial m4 and intel others are cheaper but use the sandforce controller!

These are a good alternative http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

Mark

Thanks, actually, this might be what I go for SEAGATE Momentus XT ST750LX003 2.5" internal hard drive - 750 GB + 8 GB SSD memory.

I will re read the specs tomorrow :)

atlantico
21-02-2012, 22:23
I have a 64GB SSD with W7 OS installed, and then use a standard drive for storage. I shut down and re start in 12 seconds - yes, count them, 12 seconds !

Vortex Wake
22-02-2012, 08:52
Yes , I remember you saying how quick it was before :)

So , one question leads to another............

How easy is it to migrate the OS to a new (SSD) drive - I'm a newbie numpty when it comes to that sort of thing . I cut my teeth on.a ZX81 :) .

Marc Weinberg
22-02-2012, 09:06
I have come into this discussion a little late, but here's my peneth worth. I have used a kingston 128Gb V+ drive in a I5 HP elitebook and found the speeds to be fantastic, however the storage was a problem. I the got a 500Gb momentus XT as a second drive and connected via the eSATA. The speed gains that I had with the internal SSD was drasticly cut by the bottle neck caused by the data transfer via the eSATA. I even tried it connected to a USB3 express card and still found the transfer slow. Long and short of it is I moved the momentus internaly rermoving the SSD and I am getting blisteringly fast sppeds on the hard drive. Definatly on par with the SSD. If you have got the option to put the momentus in as a 2nd drive the do so. Else, swap the main drive for the momentus.

Also, I like your comment about the ZX81. I started on the ZX80 and pregressed through the 81, spectrum, oric 1, dragon 32. As a nostalgia side, i recently cleared out my lock up and found in my possetion a 486 SX25 cpu, a pentium 75 ( on of the first pentium cpu's) and god knows howm many overdrive cpus. Also had a Pentium pro 200. Along with some 30 pin 1 meg ram I had a good chuckle going down memory lane. how times have progressed.

Vortex Wake
22-02-2012, 09:39
Ah yes....... the z80, 68000 and the 8086..............;)

atlantico
22-02-2012, 12:46

How easy is it to migrate the OS to a new (SSD) drive - I'm a newbie numpty when it comes to that sort of thing . I cut my teeth on.a ZX81 :) .
You have to re-install OS, or do a clone of original drive onto new one

Marc Weinberg
22-02-2012, 19:10

Best way to clone the drive i have found is to use Acronis True image. you need to be able to connect both drives to the same machine to do the clone.

markcuk
22-02-2012, 20:18
Best way to clone the drive i have found is to use Acronis True image. you need to be able to connect both drives to the same machine to do the clone.

Good choice but I would use this http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm it is free and allows you to create a bootable usb or cd to clone your drives you can also clone to different hardware

slodgedad
22-02-2012, 21:50

HERE (http://oldcomputers.net/vic20.html)'s my first.......Memories

Vortex Wake
22-02-2012, 22:23
I had on of these with a 10meg hard disc :) http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5150.html

slodgedad
22-02-2012, 22:44
I had on of these with a 10meg hard disc :) http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5150.html

Mine was bog basic. Sat up all night drawing a flag (go to go to go to..adfinitum) Chuffed to bits but couldn't save it...:snore: