PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones Can a non resident get a pay as you go mobile phone in Tenerife?

curriegirl
10-06-2011, 20:21
Can anyone give me some advice please. We want to buy a pay as you go mobile for the times we are in Tenerife, which is only a few months at a time each year.
We have seen some in Al Campo, but not being able to speak the language very well, we are confused.
How easy is it for Non Residents? What ID do we need and any idea of how long this will take?
We don't want to buy a sim card for out UK mobile as we also use that to keep in touch with family when we are there.???

9PLUS
10-06-2011, 20:26
Show ID sorted

x

TenerifeTeddy
10-06-2011, 20:31
You could buy a cheap mobile for around €40 and get for example a HITS or Mas Movil PAYG SIM card, both of those companies do good mobile rates. You need to provide a photocopy of your passport and to give a Spanish address. Registration takes around 10 minutes.

Susief
10-06-2011, 20:32
We went to Premier in Las Americas near Hotel Conquistador.

We bought a cheap phone and masmovil sim card and all she needed was my passport number.

slodgedad
10-06-2011, 20:40
As has been mentioned above all that is needed when registering a SIM card is ID. Passport or ID card

Jackie
10-06-2011, 21:20
Just buy a cheap mobile from any electrical shop, you can get a basic phone for about 15 euros. Then go into any mobile phone outlet and buy a sim card. Vodafone in Los Cristianos used to do the phone and sim for about 20 euros with something like 12 euros credit on it. Since this has shut down the nearest I can think of to Los Cris is the El Camison shop now.

uptowngirl
11-06-2011, 02:02
OK, I don't actually work in the office now but we have mobiles at 19 euros, 3 cents a minute to an international landline, comes with 6 or 7 euros credit etc etc.............................. email info@tenerifesunshine.com for the full info....................... everybody is grabbing them!!

Stoney
11-06-2011, 09:49
Moviestar had an offer of 2 mobile for about 30 euros with 12 euros on each phone, they are nothing fancy though. We got two and put the Sims in our own phones

hedgehog
11-06-2011, 10:44
I'd stay away from Movistar and Vodafone if you're wanting to keep in touch with the UK - they may have cheap phones but you can only use them with their SIMs and their rates are extortionate! Bring an unlocked phone from the UK much cheaper there) and go for something like Hits who use the Vodafone network (good coverage here) but are so much cheaper!

junglejim
11-06-2011, 12:13
My wife uses a Lebara card , tops up in A1 computers in san Eugenio shopping centre upstairs- gets bonus minutes too !

curriegirl
12-06-2011, 12:42
Thanks for that, not really wanting to keep in touch with the uk on this mobile as we have our uk ones with us for that. Just looking for 2 phones to keep us in touch with each other when we are there. Had thought about vodaphone or moviestar as they are in the local shopping centre, but not sure now???

Tenerife Property
12-06-2011, 13:04
I can recommend hits PAYG, the coverage has never been a problem and the calls are really cheap compared to most others. I know people with Lebara and they say that is good too.

hailfuzz
12-06-2011, 13:32
I can recommend hits PAYG, the coverage has never been a problem and the calls are really cheap compared to most others. I know people with Lebara and they say that is good too.

Where can I get a hits sim in Los Cristianos (i stay in the oasis del la sur area)..

tobione
19-07-2011, 23:17
Hi, I'm looking for a sim for data whilst in adaje in september. I've been told the pepe data sim uses the vodafone network & is our best bet. The ebay seller also wants my passport number to activate it, not sure if its is a good idea to send this!
Any advice much appreciated, cheers.

TenerifeTeddy
19-07-2011, 23:28
Hi, I'm looking for a sim for data whilst in adaje in september. I've been told the pepe data sim uses the vodafone network & is our best bet. The ebay seller also wants my passport number to activate it, not sure if its is a good idea to send this!
Any advice much appreciated, cheers.

I am not familiar with the pepe network, but I certainly donīt think it is a good idea give your passport number out over ebay.

HITS are a good network to be on here as are some of the Mas Movil tariffs. Most of the other Spanish sims are also available here. I would suggest you buy a sim here and keep control of your personal information.

tobione
19-07-2011, 23:32
Thanks TT, I'll probably do that!

Margaretta
20-07-2011, 00:35
Haha! We've had the same Movistar PAYG for five years bought in Maya. No problems but reading the above it's time for a change.......HITS looks good and cheaper as long as it works......everywhere on the island and for international calls.

Megaloo
20-07-2011, 09:33
Haha! We've had the same Movistar PAYG for five years bought in Maya. No problems but reading the above it's time for a change.......HITS looks good and cheaper as long as it works......everywhere on the island and for international calls.

Hello I changed to Hits a few months ago and I am very pleased and yes you can use it for international calls

mossy
20-07-2011, 11:16
Does anyone know where i can get Hits sim card in PLA por favor?