PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Moving to Tenerife and worried about my old record

pbasonuk
23-02-2012, 19:43
Hi All.

I have my own business and I am moving to Tenerife in March 2013 to live and carry on my business there.

I know that if I intend to be there for more than 3 months I need to become a 'resindent'

I will be 40 when I move there, I have one worry that is nagging at me and that is I have a small criminal record from when I was 18. I fell into a bad crowd and got arrested and charged a few times for shoplifting and a fight. Not something I am proud of. I moved away when I was 18 and got away from the crowd, It was a crap period of 1 year of my life but then I got myself a good education, married etc and have NEVER been in trouble since.

Will this have any effect on becoming a resident with my own business on the Island? Will the Authorities even let me stay? I am so worried about this, I'm not proud of it but I turned things around very quickly and luckily saw the light!

Any help or advice appreciated.

Added after 2 minutes:

Resindent obviously should be 'Resident'. Oops!

AL JAY
23-02-2012, 20:00
Welcome to the forum,I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about,I hope everything goes well with your move and i wish you the best of luck!

samnickgodber
23-02-2012, 22:21
Hi, it Shouldn´t be a problem x

Greg
24-02-2012, 00:51
back in the old days having "a bit of history" used to be almost obligatory. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

obs
24-02-2012, 00:55
Don't worry, I would imagine all your history will be 'spent' by now. Good luck to you, and :welcome:

slodgedad
24-02-2012, 01:26
I shouldn't think it will cause any problems for you.

Do you think the ex pat population would be this big if it did?..:redcard::devil2::lol:

BTW, welcome to the Forum and the best of luck with your new venture....:welcome:

timmylish
24-02-2012, 02:50
The Residence Certificate is exactly that. You complete the Appl. docs. pay yer money and hey ho your in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joking aside. No problems.

pbasonuk
24-02-2012, 11:34
Thankyou so much everyone. This is a massive relief, would have been mortifying to have to tell the wife and kids we cant go.

I'm over on the 3rd March next week for a week, going to go and see a bit more of the Island this time and hopefully spend a night up Teide to do some stargazing.

Is there any stargazers in this group as I would like some advice?

YOUNG GOLFER
24-02-2012, 12:36
Well good luck with your move to Tenerife a great place to lay down your hat......and i am sure you and your wife will love it.....as for your pass please don't worry about it.
If you have any questions about Tenerife what ever they may be please ask away.

bonitatime
24-02-2012, 13:17
Can't you get this expunged after so many years.
Not that it matters within the EU as you have a right to live anywhere.

Suej
24-02-2012, 17:17
Hi All.

I have my own business and I am moving to Tenerife in March 2013 to live and carry on my business there.

I know that if I intend to be there for more than 3 months I need to become a 'resindent'

I will be 40 when I move there, I have one worry that is nagging at me and that is I have a small criminal record from when I was 18. I fell into a bad crowd and got arrested and charged a few times for shoplifting and a fight. Not something I am proud of. I moved away when I was 18 and got away from the crowd, It was a crap period of 1 year of my life but then I got myself a good education, married etc and have NEVER been in trouble since.

Will this have any effect on becoming a resident with my own business on the Island? Will the Authorities even let me stay? I am so worried about this, I'm not proud of it but I turned things around very quickly and luckily saw the light!

Added after 2 minutes:

There's Brits over here conning people out of millions! Don't worry about it! Welcome to the Forum and in time Welcome to Tenerife!:hello:

universal
24-02-2012, 17:39
IN THE PAST IT WAS NECESSARY TO HAVE A "Certificado de antecedentes penales expedido por las autoridades policiales de su país de origen debidamente legalizado o Certificados de buena conducta." OR A CERTIFICATE OF ONES CRIMINAL RECORD (IF APPLICABLE) OR A GOOD CONDUCT CERTIFICATE, IN ORDER TO APPLY FOR "RESIDENCIA".
HOWVERE THESE DAYS IT IS ONLY NEEDED IF ONE IS APPLYING FOR SPANISH NATIONALITY.

alextenerife
26-02-2012, 10:36
You do not need a residents permit or card, I have been here 9 years, own and run a Spanish company all done on my British passport

ken edwards
26-02-2012, 12:14
A a retired lawyer let me remind you of a piece of legislation which was passed to give help to people like yourself. I refer to the Criminal Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which states that certain types of offences become spent after a certain length of time. After that time has passed (as I am sure from what you have stated is the case) a convicted person may lie about his offence ( which have now become 'spent'). Although it will still be kept on record no action will be taken against anyone who 'hides' their conviction(s). Furthermore, if any action like sacking someone if a spent offence comes to light, then the law will help the convicted person to sue who ever sacked them. In other words the law allows a lie and it does so to help prior offenders get on their feet again. One big warning however, certain jobs situations etc require all offences to be disclosed even if 'spent'. This is to protect children etc. You should always seek legal advice on these matters from a practitioner of law so please dont rely solely on what I have stated above.
I hope this helps you to forget your wrongdoings and move forward.

Hi All.

Added after 2 minutes: