PDA

View Full Version : Other What would be the cost of Living in El Medano for a 3 month vacation?

JP999
24-02-2012, 05:57
Hi, I'm considering going on a long vacation to El Medano because of the great windsurfing conditions there. But for me the cost of living is an important factor in deciding if I will go or not, so I wanted to check that first...

Can one person live in El Medano comfortably for ~ 1000 euro per month?

I will be living on a budget but still comfortably... And I will be looking for an apartment within walking distance or max a 10 minute bicycle ride of the south bay.
What kind of pricing should I expect for a 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen within that area?

About food, I now live in south east asia and I basically eat out 2-3 times a day for less then 10 euro total at the less expensive but still decent restaurants.
I understand that it won't be that cheap in El Medano but on what kind of budget can you eat like that in El Medano? Or would cooking things myself be many times cheaper? (In south east asia it's not).

sunseeker
25-02-2012, 17:57
dunno about pricing of apartments there. maybe alook thru some property websites would answer that one, as its like asking how long is a piece of string. to live comfortably after rental 1000€ is fine. if you are renting to then it depends on the price of your rental :)

timmylish
25-02-2012, 23:53
Like many before you I,m afraid that you are not making it entirely clear what your intended budget will be. 1000€ for everything or less renting an apartment and such like so, to get the help you seek, can you clarify. Although I speak for myself, there are a lot of older people on here now whose brains may not be as before!!!!!!
Joking aside. Eating out in Medano at your structure will be a NO NO, sorry. Tourist area (in fact more so than anywhere here) so, in my opiniuon you,ll be lucky to eat well for one meal at the cost you give for a whole day. Either change eating habits (do you need three meals?) or, as will be more likely, eat in by cooling yourself/ Forget the prices in the Far East. They don,t exist anymore once you,ve come here! Having said all that I believe it still cheaper here than the UK!

kellyman
26-02-2012, 19:09
If you are prepared to cycle in then it may well be worth looking for accomodation in San Isidro. It is 4 ks from El Medano on the other side of the motorway. It would probably be quite a quick ride down but on the return it is uphill all the way. However I think the accomodation is remarkably cheaper.
Some friends of mine have a BB in El Medano and they cater for windsurfers etc. The number is 922178999 and 618610321.
I have no idea of the cost but it must be worth a call.

timmylish
27-02-2012, 01:28
I have to apologise to the O/p as had not given consideration to cycling to and fro Medano from my town of San Isidro!
Accommodation is likely to be about 30% less in S I and you have access to a plethora of real Canarian Bar/Cafes where food is much cheaper than in Medano. So. As has been suggetsed get yourself up to S I asap. Lots of places up for rent both furnished (which I presume you,ll need) and non furnished. Best of luck.

JP999
29-02-2012, 15:10
Hmm... San Isidro sounds like a place where I could stay... How is the ride back in terms of steepness? I don't mind a little incline, but not to the point where I have to put in some serious strain and as a result return home sweaty.

I'm also considering Essaouirra in Morocco, seems like a cheaper alternative to Medano at least, and I hear the food is great too and cheap. Maybe I'll visit both places though.

About the 1000 EUR budget, that would be for everything including rent. I only need a small apartment though, very simple. Because I'll be spending most of my time outside.

About surfing equipment, does anyone know about the state of the used windsurfing equipment market in tenerife? I want to buy some used gear when I'm there (This'll be an investment outside of my budget, I'll be bringing it home with me).

Moki Dog
09-03-2012, 17:07
For the windsurf equipment, there are several places in El Medano where equipment can either be rented or used / new equipment purchased. I've heard varying things on pricing and a lot depends on what equipment is available at the time (for used gear). Some of the sites for equipment rental / purchase are (not in any order that signifies preference):

d'Light - http://www.dlightcanarias.net/
Cabezo Surf Shop - http://www.cabezosurfshop.com/
Surf Centre Sur - http://www.surfcenter.el-medano.com/

There are a few other rental and sales in the village as well.

Apartment prices can vary quite a bit depending on where you are and what you're looking for - especially in the summer which is the high season for El Medano. Don't let that put you off though - the sooner you decide and book a rental, the easier it will be to find an apartment and the cheaper it will be.

El Medano is definitely a great place for windsurfing in the summer months.