PDA

View Full Version : Charity Chat Stray cat/dog neutering facility raided in Tenerife

Carlos
24-02-2012, 15:51
Just seen this. Anyone know who the association is??? Would be a pity if red tape did not allow this valuable work to be done.

'Illegal' animal neutering facility raided by authorities

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/35806/daily-news-article.html

caroletenerife
24-02-2012, 18:01
Maybe the so called local authorities should take responsibility for the mess in their own back yard. Then there would be no need for 'visiting volunteers vets from other (more civillised) EU countries'. Then these vets could help other third world countries, who appreciate the help (cos this little backwater obviously dont!!!!!!) f'n B's

YOUNG GOLFER
24-02-2012, 23:29
Just seen this. Anyone know who the association is??? Would be a pity if red tape did not allow this valuable work to be done.

'Illegal' animal neutering facility raided by authorities

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/35806/daily-news-article.html

Not sure if a Vet here has tipped of the Police due to loss of possible earnings or someone has gone out of their way to cause trouble..... but only today i seen a cat with it's ear clipped and it made me smile.......a lot of good people have gone out of their way free of charge to help the growing problems of cats and dogs here in Tenerife even a few forum members on here DJD and others incuding myself once or twice.
Things like this for me are very hard to understand when at the end of the day.............. all people are trying to do is good.

bonitatime
25-02-2012, 11:20
The article in todays paper talked about unsanitary conditions and unregistered staff.
Does anyone actually know where this was?

sunseeker
25-02-2012, 17:10
could be anywhere. 'finca rustica'?

SuzyQ
25-02-2012, 17:31
Where it is is irrelevant. It's a private house on a finca, I was there last year. Unsanitary I guess would mean not sterile. The vets need space to work that's all. They come yearly and help most of the associations, that is, those who don't have enough funds to sterilize every dog ( or cat!!) The Association that organizes all this is not Live Arico, but they do sterilize our animals while they are here. There are many rumors as to who blew the whistle and why so I won't comment. I'm not sure how many sterilisations were done this year in total but they did almost 200 of pur dogs last year. The long term benefits of this are beyond words. People need to look beyond the technicalities and legalities and see the big picture. As far as I know the situation has been resolved, I sincerely hope so, and hope that they return next year.

yourneighbourdi
25-02-2012, 17:39
I had my dog Lucy spayed there 8yrs ago....they did good work with the funds they had and had no problem. Also could not afford the Vet fees at the time and she was a rescue dog.

sunseeker
25-02-2012, 17:46
The article in todays paper talked about unsanitary conditions and unregistered staff.
Does anyone actually know where this was?obviously some people do know where it was then!

i understand where youre coming from, that the end outcome is what matters, but at what point does unsanitary become cruel? not saying that this place, whereever it was, was being cruel, but there are laws in place to prevent animal cruelty and if its ok to break them for an end, then the laws should be changed to allow the work to be done. but if the operations were being done in an unsanitary enviroment then isnt that cruel? where do you draw the line?

caroletenerife
25-02-2012, 18:21
Where it is is irrelevant. It's a private house on a finca, I was there last year. Unsanitary I guess would mean not sterile. The vets need space to work that's all. They come yearly and help most of the associations, that is, those who don't have enough funds to sterilize every dog ( or cat!!) The Association that organizes all this is not Live Arico, but they do sterilize our animals while they are here. There are many rumors as to who blew the whistle and why so I won't comment. I'm not sure how many sterilisations were done this year in total but they did almost 200 of pur dogs last year. The long term benefits of this are beyond words. People need to look beyond the technicalities and legalities and see the big picture. As far as I know the situation has been resolved, I sincerely hope so, and hope that they return next year.
I really hope they return Sue, but who could blame them if they did not. As for the question of whether it was cruel, in Africa more complex operations are done in the bush on wild animals, in fact there is a series on TV at the moment following student vets on courses in Africa, at least the visiting vets didn't have to cope with a less than happy lion waking up too early.

Zara
25-02-2012, 18:51
I also hope they return. The place they carry out the ops may not be sterile but these are qualified people carrying out necessary operations on abandoned animals.

Is it not more cruel to let these animals continue producing more and more dogs and cats that are born in the hills to starve or thrown onto the streets to survive however they can?

sunseeker
25-02-2012, 19:05
my point was not whether or not it was more or less cruel. personaly im all for what they do. the question was where do you draw the line. the rules are in place to protect the animals to, so if they are going to be bent and broke then the law should be changed. if not then people will get prosecuted.

there was a bloke in the west a few years ago with a sanctury. phil? some people thought that was a state, but he was trying to help the animals. so wheres the line for whats good for them and whats not?

Suej
25-02-2012, 19:42
I really hope they return Sue, but who could blame them if they did not. As for the question of whether it was cruel, in Africa more complex operations are done in the bush on wild animals, in fact there is a series on TV at the moment following student vets on courses in Africa, at least the visiting vets didn't have to cope with a less than happy lion waking up too early.

It's so ridiculous! people and children as well as animals are treated and operated on in unsanitary (not sterile) conditions all over the world! in most cases the alternative is a painful end! Hope there's no problems with the Vets future visits!

SuzyQ
25-02-2012, 19:52
The problem is sunseeker, that the rules and laws meant to protect the animals are at best ineffective, at worst virtually non existant. It's funny how when it suits the authorities are concerned about animal welfare all of a sudden. They don't give two hoots about the ever growing pack of wild dogs near port royalle, or the countless dogs left on sun baked terraces all day, or the poor unwanted podencos thrown onto the motorway when they're not so good at hunting rabbits anymore, but a hand full of vets trying to ease the burden, well, there's an easy target. As usual, it will be about the money, ker-ching ;-)

Zara
25-02-2012, 20:01
As I donīt know the exact location, I Looked at the photo again. I canīt see that a vet could operate on what appears to be a broken table or with all of those cages around. It looks more like a storage area or perhaps it is in the Guardia station (seeing as the yellow jacket is there) could it be a case of the press wanting to shock - it wouldnīt be the first time.:whistle:

warbey
25-02-2012, 20:10
Not as unsanitary as roaming around Wild..!!

Another example of the Happenings in Cristianos last Year etc etc etc etc....

What a joke they are.. (a very sad one)

SuzyQ
25-02-2012, 20:28
No, that's the place Zara, but not the room where they operate. That's where the trapped cats are brought in, then they take them to other rooms for anesthetic and the op. It's as clean and efficient as can be, put it this way, we had no problems last year with post op infection, etc

Pets@Home
25-02-2012, 20:37
No, that's the place Zara, but not the room where they operate. That's where the trapped cats are brought in, then they take them to other rooms for anesthetic and the op. It's as clean and efficient as can be, put it this way, we had no problems last year with post op infection, etc

What a BLOODY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHAME ................
SHAME on the person/s who snitched .......... you know who u are ..............

sunseeker
25-02-2012, 21:34
who snitched?

SuzyQ
25-02-2012, 22:13
Theres a few rumours flying Sunseeker, as always here, so theres no point in posting anything. Whats done is done, I only hope the damage done is reversable.....
These people stop thousands of animals being born, tens of thousands over years, no true animal lover would jeopardise that.

YOUNG GOLFER
25-02-2012, 22:28
I am sure it will come out in the end who was behind this Tenerife is a small place to keep a secret.....but what is there to gain from it.......i have seen with my own eyes what happens to cats when there are too many in one area people take the law into their own hands and won't think twice about putting down poision to get rid of them.

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 03:46
As I donīt know the exact location, I Looked at the photo again. I canīt see that a vet could operate on what appears to be a broken table or with all of those cages around. It looks more like a storage area or perhaps it is in the Guardia station (seeing as the yellow jacket is there) could it be a case of the press wanting to shock - it wouldnīt be the first time.:whistle:
When i first saw the photo i thought it was a bit odd that the guarda jacket and notice was very carefully placed in centre of all the piled up equipment, good photo opportunity. I read that '
The police say that they have immobilized medications like antibiotics, anaesthetics and saline solutions, an electric sterilizer, a refrigerator, carrying crates, trapping cages, operation stretchers and surgical materials'
Hardly sounds as though callous butchers were at work. I dread to think what those vets think, lets not forget being a vet is a well paid career, and these people have VOLUNTEERED their time to help...this whole episode is a shame on Tenerife and those that claim to run it

Added after 13 minutes:

I am sure it will come out in the end who was behind this Tenerife is a small place to keep a secret.....but what is there to gain from it.......i have seen with my own eyes what happens to cats when there are too many in one area people take the law into their own hands and won't think twice about putting down poision to get rid of them.
Your right it is horrible, I caught a feral cat that was near death through poisoning, I couldnt just leave it suffer anymore. it made me feel physically sick for days think of the state it was in and the pain must have been horrendous...if someone reported a person for that, what do you think the chances of the animal welfare SWAT team turning up are? I think non existent.

slodgedad
26-02-2012, 05:13

True. In my time in Tenerife I have lost 2 cats to poisoners. Luckily the one we have now will not eat anything but the dry food we give her. She even cries to come in for a poop.

Suej
26-02-2012, 16:07
Could the snitch be a greedy Vet with a huge grudge!?

IMO the picture was taken after the evidence had been seized and removed to the Police station.

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 16:58
Could the snitch be a greedy Vet with a huge grudge!?

IMO the picture was taken after the evidence had been seized and removed to the Police station.

The picture is of the siezed things all piled up, by the police I pressume. medicines are expensive I doubt the vets or volunteers would treat the equipment with such disregard

Suej
26-02-2012, 17:08
The picture is of the siezed things all piled up, by the police I pressume. medicines are expensive I doubt the vets or volunteers would treat the equipment with such disregard

I just wondered why members were referring to the Guarda Civil jacket? do they possibly think that the picture was taken at the location of where the items were actually found?

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 17:23
I just wondered why members were referring to the Guarda Civil jacket? do they possibly think that the picture was taken at the location of where the items were actually found?
read suzys post 16..it is the place but not the room where they operate...all that stuff had been put on display for the cameras i think, lovely yellow police jacket and pretty little notice strategically placed..right in the middle....must have taken them ages to get it....just right

Todi
26-02-2012, 17:47
Obviously the authorities on this Island think it will add to the image of Tenerife and increase tourism if we have thousands of stray animals roaming the streets or lying dead in the gutters. I hope all the people who are involved in animal welfare here get behind which ever organisation this has happened to and show how much public support there is for the good work that they are trying to do. No doubt, as has already been said, this is about the money and a large fine will be looming.
I also hope the person who reported this gets some idea of the strength of public feeling about what they have done.

Suej
26-02-2012, 18:06
read suzys post 16..it is the place but not the room where they operate...all that stuff had been put on display for the cameras i think, lovely yellow police jacket and pretty little notice strategically placed..right in the middle....must have taken them ages to get it....just right

Thanks Carole! I didn't have time to read the whole thread earlier!

moonlady
26-02-2012, 21:47
This is terrible. Tenerife and Spain showing their dark side ... My heart goes to all the volunteers, vets and others, who have tried to help the stray cats and stray dogs of Tenerife, and who all are offended by this unbelievable reaction from the authorities.

Suej
26-02-2012, 22:38
This is terrible. Tenerife and Spain showing their dark side ... My heart goes to all the volunteers, vets and others, who have tried to help the stray cats and stray dogs of Tenerife, and who all are offended by this unbelievable reaction from the authorities.

Hi moonlady welcome to the Forum! I can't help feeling that the authorities need to be seen that they have reacted to a complaint/report...my gut feeling is they will turn a blind eye in future, I'm hoping so anyway! I had a chat with a resident who has lived here 28 years she tells me this is not the first time that this has happened.