PDA

View Full Version : What do holiday-makers want or expect in a self-catering Tenerife holiday apartment?

Law
26-02-2012, 10:00
Hi, some advice please from apartment owners who rent out their apartment, or from Holiday makers who rent self catering apartments on Tourist Complexes in Tenerife.
I've recently purchased a 2 bed apartment on a Tourist complex, and will be using the place myself for two holidays a year during School Holidays, and will be renting out the rest of the time via the onsite management company.
I've already gutted and totally refurbished the apartment, its got new beds/washing machine/cooker/fridge freezer/crockery.
What little extras can I put in, that will keep them coming back year after year??
Any advice comments would be really appreciated.
Thanks so much.

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 10:25
the extras are usually not that important. british tv is important to sum, but personaly if theyre on hols why do they wana watch telly? ??? maybe a coffee machine. i think the nice touches are having tea and coffee and a bit of milk in the appt when you arrive, or a small welcom pack in case shops are shiut

Loaded
26-02-2012, 10:33
Defo a tv . At least 32" flat screen. DVD player and library, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, microwave, etc

Make sure it's nicely decorated, don't skimp on that.

Vortex Wake
26-02-2012, 10:41
Free to use safe and beach towels get my vote - do remember however, beach towels cleaning could become a cost issue.

Nice patio furniture (not white basics) can give a premium feel to the property.

Add little extras that get people talking about the stay. Luxury shower ? Coffee machine , DVD player ? iPod dock ?

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 10:42
Defo a tv . At least 32" flat screen. DVD player and library, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, microwave, etc

I don't think Coronation Street or Eastenders is that important, the one thing that is missing in a lot of apartments is a comfortable bed, also a small welcome pack is a nice touch, along with what Law and Sunseeker has said should be sufficient.:zzz::wine::beach:

Vortex Wake
26-02-2012, 10:46

I second that ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VuO7riSdI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

coxan56
26-02-2012, 10:54
Hi I like a welcome pack as the first thing I need is a cup of Tea. I also like to watch the news first thing as I am a very early riser. Also a good bed as I have trouble sleeping in a very hard bed. Good luck with your lettings as least you are listening to what people want which is very good xx

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 10:54
I second that ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VuO7riSdI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

True, a lovely apartment, but for two or three weeks I could happily live without watching world disasters or UK chat shows, sun, comfort, relaxation and good company make a holiday for me, not a flat screen TV.

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 10:57
Free to use safe and beach towels get my vote - do remember however, beach towels cleaning could become a cost issue.

Nice patio furniture (not white basics) can give a premium feel to the property.

Add little extras that get people talking about the stay. Luxury shower ? Coffee machine , DVD player ? iPod dock ?

yes, bigger towels, safe and ipod dock are great ideas to. if you can put in wifi or do a deal with a local bar that has free wifi so your guests can ise it, thats becoming desirable to.

Angusjim
26-02-2012, 11:01
Somewhere with no screaming bairns that does not remind me of cell block H and with a lovely private sunny terrace.

Loaded
26-02-2012, 11:04
I personally don't think eastenders and corrie are important while on holiday either BUT wheenver the TV system goes down on Paloma Beach we must get 50-80 people per day complaining!!!!!

We lost Sky Sports 1 on the complex 6 months ago and despite not advertising what channels we receive in our brochure I had someone say they'd never have booked if they'd have known!!!

Tv is very important to most brits, sad but true.

Safe is a must.

Ipod docking station is great if you're an iphone user.... I would say unnecessary expense. I'm an iphone / i pod user and I take what i need for it with me (it's not much to pack).

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 11:16
I personally don't think eastenders and corrie are important while on holiday either BUT wheenver the TV system goes down on Paloma Beach we must get 50-80 people per day complaining!!!!!

We lost Sky Sports 1 on the complex 6 months ago and despite not advertising what channels we receive in our brochure I had someone say they'd never have booked if they'd have known!!!

Tv is very important to most brits, sad but true.

Safe is a must.

Ipod docking station is great if you're an iphone user.... I would say unnecessary expense. I'm an iphone / i pod user and I take what i need for it with me (it's not much to pack).

Why don't these people who demand a flat screen TV with hundreds of channels, just stay at home with a sun lamp.

Rather than watch the news first thing in the morning with all its doom and gloom, sit outside with a cup of tea/coffee and watch the sun rise over the sea or hills.

Yes, a safe is a must for peace of mind.

Vortex Wake
26-02-2012, 11:17
Yes , my comments relate to Doreens apartments at Paloma Beach which are always popular :)

I personally hardly ever turn the TV on as I am not a TV watcher - nor sat in doors to watch .

Loaded
26-02-2012, 11:20
lol, the amount of devastated OAPs that moan when TV is off! lol.

If you can wangle wifi that is a great addition.

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 11:25
most cheap mini systems have an ipod dock as standard these days. if not, a usb port is a good idea on your sound system. you can get an all in one dvd/mp3/hd with usb :D

Bazz
26-02-2012, 11:27
A good comfortable bed and freshly laundered bedlinen, make sure to have a mattress protector too - some don't bother with this. Good quality towels, definitely a WORKING washing machine, a radio, welcome pack with water and milk, plenty of mugs/glasses and a corkscrew, not forgetting toilet roll! :D
And definitely a safe. ;)

Loaded
26-02-2012, 11:28
yeah hifi's are kinda redundant these days cos you have DVD players with USB, or you can play CD's on the DVD/TV , TV has radio inbuilt....

Remember that whatever you provide they will always ask for something else.... we gave everyone free Wifi around the pool and now we get complaints that it doesn't reach the apartments even though we speciifically say that it doesn't lol.

Angusjim
26-02-2012, 11:29

You seem to have a real issue with older people you are always making snide comments why not just ban them from your complex, if somone wants to come on holiday and watch TV thats their choice I find it very sad that people go on holiday and spend half their day on Facebook, Tenerife Forum etc but thats their choice.

Vortex Wake
26-02-2012, 11:31

Yeah , they are the ones who switch on Sky news at 6:30 am Full volume and destroy the morning quiet period on the terrace .

golf birdie
26-02-2012, 11:32
You seem to have a real issue with older people you are always making snide comments why not just ban them from your complex, if somone wants to come on holiday and watch TV thats their choice I find it very sad that people go on holiday and spend half their day on Facebook, Tenerife Forum etc but thats their choice.

ditto, also I find it sad so many never leave the British bars and resorts to see what else is on offer, but hey, thats their choice so who am I to say its wrong.

Sunlover
26-02-2012, 11:40
Extra pillows for me please! Two each would be good and is always about the only request we have to make. :lol:

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 11:45
Somewhere with no screaming bairns that does not mind me of cell block H and with a lovely private sunny terrace.

This sounds just like the El Mirador complex, but unfortunately you need to be "family or friend" to spend two or three weeks of bliss there.;)

Angusjim
26-02-2012, 11:47
This sounds just like the El Mirador complex, but unfortunately you need to be "family or friend" to spend two or three weeks of bliss there.;)

Ecky I am sure you have some very good friend there ;). Hope all is well with you

golf birdie
26-02-2012, 11:47
also up to date information about the complex, resort, advice on good places to eat and a comment book.

EDGEY72
26-02-2012, 12:04
I agree that a welcome pack would be great especially if you have a late arrival and a comfy bed is a must. I usually stay in private appartments and having a washing machine has been a bonus. I would reccomend an iron and ironing board and make sure you state these in your advertising as i like many usually take an iron only to find one when i arrive and they can be quite heavy as most travel irons are useless. Could you please message me with details of your place as i am tryuing to get over later in the year but this is not definate yet due to finances lol
My friend has a place over there and he has a guest book and info about places to eat and drink, i think the guest book is great because most holiday makers put truthful reviews of places in there.

Loaded
26-02-2012, 12:23

No issue at all Jim, one day I'll be old and I intend to be as painful as possible let me assure you!

Last time I looked I was allowed to engage in banter on forums and putting lol either side of a comment shows that the comment is not made nastily - it is true that the OAPs tend be the ones that complain when the TV's go off and I think it's important for me to stress that in this thread so that the OP realises how important a TV is to British clients - particularly older brits.

Of course it's their choice what they do while they're on holiday - I'm not denying them their choice.

I would say you've just got a problem with me personally, beacuse you're always chipping in with your "snide" accusations. So please do me a favour and poke it.

Have a nice day!

fixer
26-02-2012, 13:09
This is how ours is equipped Air-con in the lounge free
in the bedroom we have portable fan,free safe, radio alarm.

In the lounge there are two double sofas 32 inch hd tv with BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Itv2,Chanel 4 and 5, Living TV, Sky Movies, Euro and Sky sports 1 and 2. There is also a i pod docking station a dvd player,cd player and a range of dvds and cds.

The fully-fitted kitchen area has oven hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, toasted sandwich maker, fridge and seperate freezer,filtered water,crockery and utensals .
The bathroom has a bath with overhead shower and vanity unit shaver point.

The apartment also has a washing machine, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, hoover. On the l balcony we have patio set and sun loungers Linen and towels are supplied at no extra charge. Just bring your beach towel !

We also have a range of books and games. For your safety the apartment is fitted with smoke detectors, first aid kit have i missed anything ? David

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 13:09
sales of mash on meals always go up in the bar when swallows are over. not a dig, just a fact based on personal experience. :)

Added after 2 minutes:

This how ours is equipped Air-con in the lounge
in the bedroom we have portable fan, id have the aircon in the bedroom and fan in the lounge. other than that, great. :D

9PLUS
26-02-2012, 13:21
I would want Pastry cutting shapes minimum a circle, square,triangle,star,rectangle,a cat, a dog, a rabbit, goat, mouse, a house, a car, a hotel, a legal apartment shape and a illegal one, a tourist shape ( with & without camera and socks), a truck,bike,lamp,screwdriver shape,a chair

all these left and right handed.

Some knitting needles & woolly jumper patterns

And a indoor sunbed.

cheers

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 13:34
In the charity shop our most frequent enquiries are for Kitchen utensils, especially if its a long let. Potato mashers seem to be missed most, oh and egg cups haha. A lot of people are on a budget and i think self catering for many, means just that. So a well equipped kitchen is easier for them. I have had customers looking for cutlery because they only have two of each. if you are renting in the winter, extra blankets (especially this winter). A welcome pack is important, info like where supermarket is, best excursion shop etc, can take hours off their time looking for these things, good luck. If you need to stock your book shelf, we have hundreds.....just thought i would get that in there:D

dede
26-02-2012, 13:35
Then again there are some folk that you will never be able to please, i am an emergency contact for one of my friends appartments, and i got a phone call the other day off holiday makers to say that they had run out of black bin liners...WTF....

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 13:35
potato mashers are hard to find on the rock.

Loaded
26-02-2012, 13:39
I got asked for a Garlic crusher the other day - seriously.

9PLUS
26-02-2012, 13:39
A little rifle with scopes, a Ghettoblaster and some cans of spray paint.

fixer
26-02-2012, 13:46
sales of mash on meals always go up in the bar when swallows are over. not a dig, just a fact based on personal experience. :)

Added after 2 minutes:

id have the aircon in the bedroom and fan in the lounge. other than that, great. :D
aircon does cool the bedroom too if you leave door open it points directly at it i have a problem that i cant fit a outside unit in the bedroom they wont let me put it on the wall!outside or i would have it in it.
the filtered waters great no need to carry bottles keep trying to think of other things but at the end of the day you should be out enjoying the tenerife sun and exploring new places each to there own corination street hear we come. david

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 13:48
I got asked for a Garlic crusher the other day - seriously.

what ever happened to a knife? ???

tracy hampshire
26-02-2012, 13:54
welcome pack is a must, when i used to come here on holiday, i always asked for an apartment with a decent kitchen, i love cooking , even on holiday & a few missmatched knives & forks , and a few lidless rusting pans is not good, also plenty of towels & bedding, also stayed in an apartment where they had a cork board with useful numbers, taxis, takeaways, & leaflets for interesting places to visit plus a bus time table, thought it was a nice touch.

teresa
26-02-2012, 14:00
I would say wifi every body wants it these days Adults and Kids !

fixer
26-02-2012, 14:09
Where can i buy one of those garlic crushers ? loaded you know sometimes you just cant win spent over 9000 euro on new tiling kitchen bathroom ect ect gutted the place the first people in were in the office complaining they didnt like the pictures on the wall ectl other one its too warm on my balcony!ill switch off the sun or come round and move the sun shade the harder you try the more some want some even do it on purpose to try to get money back profesional complainers. Then theres the ones who steal everything not tied down had to stop putting new dvds in the just dissappear still looking for the toilet roll holder,sandwich maker, ect if they break it the throw it out its never them but thats the risk you take when holiday letting will still keep trying to make our apartment one of the best equipped on the complex so this year new sun blind blank out the sun! and some more new furniture. David

primrose
26-02-2012, 14:30
potato mashers are hard to find on the rock.

I brought one back with me the last time I went to england, bought a few over here but they didn't last rolleyes2:

Loaded
26-02-2012, 14:36
I got the galric crusher from Pino's for 5€....

It is annoying when you get complaints from people in apartments you've "done up" - usually it's because they didn't get the position they asked for because they booked late, they then make out like somethings sub standard even though it isn't and complain about stuff you can't change (amount of sun, position) until you cave in and change them at some point during their stay....

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 14:39
I brought one back with me the last time I went to england, bought a few over here but they didn't last rolleyes2:ive never found them here. wehre did you find one?

Law
26-02-2012, 15:57
Can't get the scopes through customs I'm afraid, but we have already supplied a catapult! do you think that will be upmarket enough??
Seriously though, many thanks to all of you who have replied, there are several things we hadn't thought of, a potato masher for example. We went to Roca Casa in Charifas last time we were here, they were very good, lot of cheap stuff, but also some good quality items in amongst it too, garlic press etc. I remember I bought my cutlery from Pino's cause it was really nice quality, & I could replace them when they got lost. I hadn't thought of ipod dock station, thanks, so I'll get one of those next time I'm here.
Thanks to those of you who suggested local information, again, its something I hadn't thought of, as we know the place so well its something we've overlooked, you kinda assume everyones like you, and they aren't.

dokgolf
26-02-2012, 16:20
Hi, some advice please from apartment owners who rent out their apartment, or from Holiday makers who rent self catering apartments on Tourist Complexes in Tenerife.
I've recently purchased a 2 bed apartment on a Tourist complex, and will be using the place myself for two holidays a year during School Holidays, and will be renting out the rest of the time via the onsite management company.
I've already gutted and totally refurbished the apartment, its got new beds/washing machine/cooker/fridge freezer/crockery.
What little extras can I put in, that will keep them coming back year after year??
Thanks so much.

Wifi, even if it has to be paid for as an extra.

primrose
26-02-2012, 16:33
ive never found them here. wehre did you find one?

In the 1 Euro shop at San Euenio but I think it has closed down now.

tracy hampshire
26-02-2012, 16:45
all the bazar type shops have tatie mashers, garlic crushers, and that sort of stuff, all seam to be quite cheap, i think there's no need for too many electrical gadgits, just basic things well kept, i mean how many times do you actually use a sandwich toaster ? i like a toaster , kettle & microwave, on top of the normal kitchen appliances, your on holiday no need for anything else

Suej
26-02-2012, 16:51
Provide a guest book and invite guests to leave their comments if you are getting it right you won't find too many complaints recorded! except the odd person that you could never please in a million years!

One stop home shop next to Iceland in Las Chafiras sell potato mashers and Garlic presses.:)

fixer
26-02-2012, 16:59
[QUOTE=tracy hampshire;148258]all the bazar type shops have tatie mashers, garlic crushers, and that sort of stuff, all seam to be quite cheap, i think there's no need for too many electrical gadgits, just basic things well kept, i mean how many times do you actually use a sandwich toaster ? i like a toaster , kettle & microwave, on top of the normal kitchen appliances, your on holiday no need for anything else[/QUO I use the sandwich toaster a lot as im told some of my clients do cost very little to put in. David

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 17:08
No issue at all Jim, one day I'll be old and I intend to be as painful as possible let me assure you!

Last time I looked I was allowed to engage in banter on forums and putting lol either side of a comment shows that the comment is not made nastily - it is true that the OAPs tend be the ones that complain when the TV's go off and I think it's important for me to stress that in this thread so that the OP realises how important a TV is to British clients - particularly older brits.

Of course it's their choice what they do while they're on holiday - I'm not denying them their choice.

I would say you've just got a problem with me personally, beacuse you're always chipping in with your "snide" accusations. So please do me a favour and poke it.

Have a nice day!

Now Ladies Please!! Behave yourselves!! We dont want to have a little accident!!:crylaughing:

Added after 8 minutes:

Then again there are some folk that you will never be able to please, i am an emergency contact for one of my friends appartments, and i got a phone call the other day off holiday makers to say that they had run out of black bin liners...WTF....

Shame on you dede for forgetting such an important item, do you thing that hokiday-makers should
be running around looking for bin-bags because you're so forgetfull? Tut!! Tut!!:cheers:

Added after 6 minutes:

:whistle:
In the charity shop our most frequent enquiries are for Kitchen utensils, especially if its a long let. Potato mashers seem to be missed most, oh and egg cups haha. A lot of people are on a budget and i think self catering for many, means just that. So a well equipped kitchen is easier for them. I have had customers looking for cutlery because they only have two of each. if you are renting in the winter, extra blankets (especially this winter). A welcome pack is important, info like where supermarket is, best excursion shop etc, can take hours off their time looking for these things, good luck. If you need to stock your book shelf, we have hundreds.....just thought i would get that in there:D

I dont have a potato masher or a sandwich toaster....... I'll have to marry one......Any takers?

I'm free all next month!!! NO JACKIES NEED APPLY!!!!:whistle:

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 17:30
Where can i buy one of those garlic crushers ? loaded you know sometimes you just cant win spent over 9000 euro on new tiling kitchen bathroom ect ect gutted the place the first people in were in the office complaining they didnt like the pictures on the wall ectl other one its too warm on my balcony!ill switch off the sun or come round and move the sun shade the harder you try the more some want some even do it on purpose to try to get money back profesional complainers. Then theres the ones who steal everything not tied down had to stop putting new dvds in the just dissappear still looking for the toilet roll holder,sandwich maker, ect if they break it the throw it out its never them but thats the risk you take when holiday letting will still keep trying to make our apartment one of the best equipped on the complex so this year new sun blind blank out the sun! and some more new furniture. David

I got a good solid steel garlic crusher in the Charity shop, i have it hidden cos them Morrocans have stuff like that down their troosers before you can say Alibaba.if you want it let me know ...3 euros. Also got carving knifes but they stashed too....for obvious reasons...did bring back loads of potato mashers from Uk, but they are like gold dust and sold in one day

primrose
26-02-2012, 17:38
I got a good solid steel garlic crusher in the Charity shop, i have it hidden cos them Morrocans have stuff like that down their troosers before you can say Alibaba.if you want it let me know ...3 euros. Also got carving knifes but they stashed too....for obvious reasons...did bring back loads of potato mashers from Uk, but they are like gold dust and sold in one day

Now you know what to sell on the Live Arico Market stall-- Potato Mashers you would make a fortune.

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 17:46
Now you know what to sell on the Live Arico Market stall-- Potato Mashers you would make a fortune.

I think you need to stay away from the cookin' sherry:crylaughing:
Think the same goes for Caroletenerife!!!!!!

Santiago
26-02-2012, 17:52
Necessities for the holidaymaker who isn't in the first flush of youth!

Apartment on top floor so the only noise is either side and below!

A fabulous view facing South West so sunshine later in the day, making you go out for a walk in the morning.

Sunbeds on the balcony to relieve aching bones.

Comfy bed with extra blankets in winter.

Ceiling fans in lounge and bedroom.

Washing machine (iron doesn't matter as all clothes should be crease-less!)

Nice clean cooker for breakfast and the odd pizza - eat out a lot in the evenings.

Fridge with a big freezer compartment - to keep the drinks cool.

Nice big mugs for the morning coffee or barraquito.

Safe - complete with key that doesn't have to be paid for.

WiFi would be nice but not essential as it's available all over the place.

Decent cleaning gear as the holidaymaker should always leave the apartment backwards after washing the last floor!

What the holidaymaker should bring with them.

Bin bags - they weigh very little and can be useful for all sorts of things.

Your favourite kitchen knife, butter knife and teaspoon.

A roll of foil to keep the oven clean (saves work cleaning it!)

Dish cloths, tea towels and swimming towels.

Basic kitchen utensils that you would use in the summer at home.

Books in a cupboard somewhere to read when you have used up all the ones you brought with you.

If you can provide all of the above p m me and I'll be on my way!

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 17:55
I think you need to stay away from the cookin' sherry:crylaughing:
Think the same goes for Caroletenerife!!!!!!
You would be surprised....a fight nearly broke out in the shop over that last sought after tattie masher . Its getting them over here thats the problem, or they would indeed by displayed on the stall :D

tracy hampshire
26-02-2012, 18:01
maybe an electric plancha better than a sandwich toaster, good for cooking most things and a bit big to nick ?

fixer
26-02-2012, 18:03
Necessities for the holidaymaker who isn't in the first flush of youth!

Apartment on top floor so the only noise is either side and below!

A fabulous view facing South West so sunshine later in the day, making you go out for a walk in the morning.

Sunbeds on the balcony to relieve aching bones.

Comfy bed with extra blankets in winter.

Ceiling fans in lounge and bedroom.

Washing machine (iron doesn't matter as all clothes should be crease-less!)

Nice clean cooker for breakfast and the odd pizza - eat out a lot in the evenings.

Fridge with a big freezer compartment - to keep the drinks cool.

Nice big mugs for the morning coffee or barraquito.

Safe - complete with key that doesn't have to be paid for.

WiFi would be nice but not essential as it's available all over the place.

Decent cleaning gear as the holidaymaker should always leave the apartment backwards after washing the last floor!

What the holidaymaker should bring with them.

Bin bags - they weigh very little and can be useful for all sorts of things.

Your favourite kitchen knife, butter knife and teaspoon.

A roll of foil to keep the oven clean (saves work cleaning it!)

Dish cloths, tea towels and swimming towels.

Basic kitchen utensils that you would use in the summer at home.

Books in a cupboard somewhere to read when you have used up all the ones you brought with you.

If you can provide all of the above p m me and I'll be on my way!

Sorry cant supply the lot not top floor (no holiday makers above or next door)got the sun all day not just in the evening no ceilng fan but aircon that does cool all the apartment wifi outside my front door!but got everything else including what holidaymakes should bring with them. David

Santiago
26-02-2012, 18:20
Sorry cant supply the lot not top floor (no holiday makers above or next door)got the sun all day not just in the evening no ceilng fan but aircon that does cool all the apartment wifi outside my front door!but got everything else including what holidaymakes should bring with them. David

Sounds good, but one thing I forgot to say was that if there isn't everything that you would normally enjoy at home, then providing it isn't something like a washing machine, just go out and buy it. You are on holiday for goodness sake and the odd ten or twenty Euros isn't going to break the bank. Anyway you would probably otherwise waste it on a t-shirt or sandals which you will never wear again!!

timmylish
26-02-2012, 18:21
What with Tattie mashers. Each and every, law abiding, Chinese entrepreneur,s shop that I i,ve ever been in sell,s them.

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 18:28
What with Tattie mashers. Each and every, law abiding, Chinese entrepreneur,s shop that I i,ve ever been in sell,s them.

Ah but these are a special nutt- crushing tattie bashers only found in Charity shops:whistle:

delderek
26-02-2012, 18:34
Sounds good, but one thing I forgot to say was that if there isn't everything that you would normally enjoy at home, then providing it isn't something like a washing machine, just go out and buy it. You are on holiday for goodness sake and the odd ten or twenty Euros isn't going to break the bank. Anyway you would probably otherwise waste it on a t-shirt or sandals which you will never wear again!!

That is fair comment,,but if you are a holidaymaker, and all you know is the walkway between LC and LA, you wont find many shops that sell tatty mashers. So lets be fair, its not the price, its knowing where to go. And tatty mashers, are not that easy to find.

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 18:38
That is fair comment,,but if you are a holidaymaker, and all you know is the walkway between LC and LA, you wont find many shops that sell tatty mashers. So lets be fair, its not the price, its knowing where to go. And tatty mashers, are not that easy to find.

Then you'd probably need to get out a little more!!!!!!!!
if you're going to find them!!!!!!:lol:

primrose
26-02-2012, 18:40
Ah but these are a special nutt- crushing tattie bashers only found in Charity shops:whistle:

If I didn't think so much of my potato masher I know who's nuts i'd like to crush with it.:devil2:

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 18:46
If I didn't think so much of my potato masher I know who's nuts i'd like to crush with it.:devil2:

GOOD ON YOU!! He probably deserves it!!!!!!:whistle:

Santiago
26-02-2012, 18:50

Then, if all you can think about is mashing the potatoes when you are on holiday - how sad can you be. If the teddy (Cornish) masher is so important then take the bl**dy thing with you! By the way, I don't know about other holidaymakers, but my record is seven frying pans in seven years. Yes, each year for seven years the frying pan has been impossible to use, but I don't mind getting a new one and leaving it behind.

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 18:55
Thanks so much.

Good question Law.

Probably some fit looking cleaners....Tight tops and short skirts and not over 25 years old....and maybe bed-baths ...always a favourite..and none of the usual oul' GRANNIES

you see lurking about!!!!!!:whistle:

Added after 3 minutes:

Then, if all you can think about is mashing the potatoes when you are on holiday - how sad can you be. If the teddy (Cornish) masher is so important then take the bl**dy thing with you! By the way, I don't know about other holidaymakers, but my record is seven frying pans in seven years. Yes, each year for seven years the frying pan has been impossible to use, but I don't mind getting a new one and leaving it behind.

A henous crime--that frying pan abuse...and it's on the increase, I saw somewhere!!:crylaughing:

caroletenerife
26-02-2012, 19:07

The spanish mashers are ceich apparently..I myself dont make mashed spuds, but i am reliably informed, you NEED a UK type masher to make a decent shephards pie....you can take the brit of of the UK..but you cant take UK out of the Brit.. its things like nut crushing tattie bashers that made our country great. So no doubt its all the imported ones that have landed us in the s*** we are in now

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 19:12
The spanish mashers are ceich apparently..I myself dont make mashed spuds, but i am reliably informed, you NEED a UK type masher to make a decent shephards pie....you can take the brit of of the UK..but you cant take UK out of the Brit.. its things like nut crushing tattie bashers that made our country great. So no doubt its all the imported ones that have landed us in the s*** we are in now

So now you're telling me that they have hidden talents.....killing old sheep!! wow!!:crylaughing:

Ecky Thump
26-02-2012, 20:15
It looks like from the recent posts that the most important thing that is missing from the self catering apartments in Tenerife is a Potato Masher, maybe all the supermarket managers are reading this and will stock Cadbury's Smash.:lol:

kingbaker
26-02-2012, 20:21
It looks like from the recent posts that the most important thing that is missing from the self catering apartments in Tenerife is a Potato Masher, maybe all the supermarket managers are reading this and will stock Cadbury's Smash.:lol:

Yes ET A good oul' Brummie product:bowdown:

primrose
26-02-2012, 20:36

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ecky, You have to mash your own with your English masher.:doh:

Sundowner
26-02-2012, 20:43
All tourists who want a potato masher should be banned................from going on holiday!!

Alivee
26-02-2012, 21:05
Decent outside furniture on the balcony/terrace ............table , chairs & sun loungers .
A non slip shower tray or at least a rubber mat.
A good working fridge to store the San Miguel's and white wine in !
Plenty of different size glasses .
Ceiling fans that work !!
That will do for now !
:D

Sal
26-02-2012, 21:10
I have to agree with some of the previous posters - it is great to arrive and find there is tea, coffee and water in a welcome pack. We have even had some apartments that provide a bottle of wine in their welcome pack too!!!

cainaries
26-02-2012, 22:05
I am already wearing my tin hat. Here's my question.

In a touristic complex with a sole agent, how does one owner manage to provide a superior welcome pack to other owners - is it possible - who manages it? Also, because this has intrigued me for a long time - can punters book a specific apartment and be guaranteed to get it?

Sal
26-02-2012, 22:16
The sites we use usually mention a welcome pack - if provided. We usually book direct with owners - not management companies. It is good to arrive and find water, tea (we are not tea drinkers, but a lot are) and coffee - a couple of toilet rolls too! It just shows that the apartment owners have thought things through - we can have a drink after unpacking and before we go shopping!

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 22:20
The sites we use usually mention a welcome pack - if provided. We usually book direct with owners - not management companies. It is good to arrive and find water, tea (we are not tea drinkers, but a lot are) and coffee - a couple of toilet rolls too! It just shows that the apartment owners have thought things through - we can have a drink after unpacking and before we go shopping!when we have family coming out and they stay in an apartment if we have no room a welcome pack makes all the difference. ive had people arrive on a fiesta or sunday before and theyve not had water! a good welcome pack should include a 2 liter bottle of water, a few tea bags, a bit of coffee, sugar, milk or milk powder, and a bit of bread. just enough to have a few slices of toast and a cup of tea if your desperate.

Sal
26-02-2012, 22:24
when we have family coming out and they stay in an apartment if we have no room a welcome pack makes all the difference. ive had people arrive on a fiesta or sunday before and theyve not had water! a good welcome pack should include a 2 liter bottle of water, a few tea bags, a bit of coffee, sugar, milk or milk powder, and a bit of bread. just enough to have a few slices of toast and a cup of tea if your desperate.

You are so right sunseeker - same as I said, but we don't use tea, sugar, milk or bread....so I forgot them (being totally selfish) but I have to agree - it is a VERY welcome pack when the basics are there for you on arrival!

sunseeker
26-02-2012, 22:36
You are so right sunseeker - same as I said, but we don't use tea, sugar, milk or bread....so I forgot them (being totally selfish) but I have to agree - it is a VERY welcome pack when the basics are there for you on arrival!whatever you like, waters the biggie. especially when you cant drink the stuff out of the taps. after a 4.5 hour journey plus atleat 2 hours either side for arrival and departure you can be gasping for a drink.

Sal
26-02-2012, 22:44
A nice clean and tidy apartment is good too. Last year we rented a (not cheap) apartment which was very nice, but the room fans (mentioned in the apartment write up) were not working. We also found out at the end of the week we had no linen change and when we got in touch with the apartment owner, we were told there was a washing machine in the apartment and we could wash our own linen! The quickest wash I could find took 2 hours!!! Also there was cat ***** in the artificial grass on the terrace.
It was a lovely apartment with amazing views, but we were put off by the aformentioned - so would not rent that apartment again!

Loaded
26-02-2012, 22:46
In a touristic complex with a sole agent, how does one owner manage to provide a superior welcome pack to other owners - is it possible - who manages it? Also, because this has intrigued me for a long time - can punters book a specific apartment and be guaranteed to get it?

I would say if the owner has found his own booking and wants to provide a welcome pack that's something the owner can sort out via the management company.

For example : someone arrived in an apartment today and we were instructed to put a bottle of wine in for the guests - no problem.

We generally just put loo roll and a bottle of water in for guests unless they ask for anything extra. Although I think all guests would appreciate a welcome pack they wouldn't want to pay for one so to keep costs down to the public and payments high to owners we don't provide welcome packs. In 15 years I've never had someone complain that there wasn't one, that's not to say that they wouldn't have appreciated it.

Can you book a specific apartment? Depends where you book. I know Oasis at Royal Palm actually manage the online ads for owners apartments so if you enquire via holiday lettings etc you get the exact apartment you see in the ad.

I don't work that way, instead we accept requests for things such as "sea view", "pool view", "double bed", "high floor" etc and achieve a very high success rate, while maximising occupancy.

macdonald5
26-02-2012, 22:51
Hi
As a apartment renter for some 3 times yearly in Tenerife hope I can give a fair opinion of wants with acceptable apartments
Must be very clean and furnished to good standard,good sized fridge freezer,washing machine and comfy bed(s) we don't eat in much as eating out very reasonable at many restuarants but well equipped kitchen helpful if eating in is chosen
The apartments we use are not the cheapest going but of such high standard that there are hardly any slots on the booking calendar all year !!
Think this proves that people are willing to pay a bit more for better standard
Reliable cleaning and laundry change are also very important to us
We really enjoy opening door of our 3 or 4 week let and seeing and smelling a lovely fresh,clean ,well equipped home from home
On arrival a new bottle of water and can of juice is very welcome incase shops are closed

Hope my opinion help ,best regards for your future business

Vortex Wake
27-02-2012, 08:29
whatever you like, waters the biggie. especially when you cant drink the stuff out of the taps. after a 4.5 hour journey plus atleat 2 hours either side for arrival and departure you can be gasping for a drink.

The tap water in the resorts won't kill you . I drink it all the time when in Tenerife and have no side affects from it ;)

Ecky Thump
27-02-2012, 08:41
The tap water in the resorts won't kill you . I drink it all the time when in Tenerife and have no side affects from it ;)

Yes, we can see from your Avatar that your nose is wet and that your coat is nice and shiny.:D

Loaded
27-02-2012, 10:18
Lol, he's getting cal'ed up though

9PLUS
27-02-2012, 11:37
Libro de reclamaciones

x

gillybeans
27-02-2012, 21:04
A dishwasher - only joking! Cook as little as possible when I'm on holiday but the kids have cereal and tea and toast etc - it crossed my mind last year that one of those drainers for dishes and cutlery on the side of the sink would be handy and could save a few broken dishes - won't be packing one in my suitcase though! :laugh:

9PLUS
27-02-2012, 23:43
A Libro de reclamaciones.........................sign

x

Suej
28-02-2012, 14:29
when we have family coming out and they stay in an apartment if we have no room a welcome pack makes all the difference. ive had people arrive on a fiesta or sunday before and theyve not had water! a good welcome pack should include a 2 liter bottle of water, a few tea bags, a bit of coffee, sugar, milk or milk powder, and a bit of bread. just enough to have a few slices of toast and a cup of tea if your desperate.

Could substitute the bread for a few bikkies! chocolate preferably!:yum:

maxbaby
10-03-2012, 16:23
Hi Law, just been reading your article and was wondering where is your apartment? Am looking to rent one for June/July. btw south facing balcony with sunbeds on are greatly appreciated! best wishes.
maxbaby.

Where is this apartment please! sounds good! does it have 2 bedrooms?
best wishes.
maxbaby