PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good Irish bars in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife?

bern
26-02-2012, 23:34
hi there, we are heading to Peurto del la cruz for a break, 1st time there! Are there any good Irish bars there?
What can we do there, places tovisit etc? any sugestions wuols be great.

thanks

Bern

rolleyes2:

dokgolf
27-02-2012, 12:22
Why would you want to go to Irish bars? Aren't there enough of them at home? If you want something to do, make sure of visiting Loro Parque. Superb day out.

Megaloo
27-02-2012, 13:14
Why would you want to go to Irish bars? Aren't there enough of them at home? If you want something to do, make sure of visiting Loro Parque. Superb day out.

I agree Loro Parque is a must, lots to see in Santa Cruz and Oratava

If you must have an Irish Bar there is Molly Malones down town in Puerto plent of lovely restaraunts in and around Puerto

bern
27-02-2012, 14:11
Thanks guys,

We like to go to Irish bars for the music . Believe it or not its hard to get live trad music unless you go to the touristy bars which we avoid back home in Galway. We want to go to the botanic gardens, I believe there are two, is that true? I would also like to visit the university as well. this is our first time up north , as we always go to PDLA or Los Chris. Considering we go there several times a year for many years now its a shame that we have never gone north. really looking forward to it. Also we are going to gran Canaria in April. We are gettting nearer to our move to Los chris and the permanent sunshine. It never stops raining in Galway!

canarybird
27-02-2012, 17:49
Yes there are are two botanical gardens, one in Puerto de la Cruz, in La Paz, opposite La Cupola shopping center and another, smaller one in La Orotava.

The one in Puerto de la Cruz is called "Jardin de Aclimatacion de La Orotava", which may confuse you if you think that's the name of the one in Orotava town, as it's not.

Here's the entrance sign and the entrance to the one in Puerto:

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/109369705.jpg

Walk up the steps and pay a small entrance fee at the red booth.

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/60954420.jpg

Other places to be sure and visit: Loro Parque, El Monasterio gardens and dining, The Orchid Garden at Sitio Litre, Tito's Bodeguita - beautiful tropical garden and Canary food (closed Sundays). If you feel in the mood to dress up smart casual one afternoon or evening, visit the Hotel Botanico and take tea or lunch sitting in the exotic gardens or have a drink and listen to music there in the evening. (Be warned though...if you come in wearing scruffy shorts and a backpack you will not be allowed to enter.:p)
There is a good beach with cactus gardens, walkways and restaurants at Playa Jardin and Punta Brava - not easy to find a parking spot there though - best to walk or take a taxi.

There's lots more but that's just a start.

Canarybird

melm
27-02-2012, 19:19
the molly malone is the only Irish bar (as far as i know) in Puerto. you will not be disappointed.....great night out for all the family

Fender1
27-02-2012, 20:32
,,,,The Truth seemed to disturb a lot of people !!!,,,,

Nic
27-02-2012, 21:40
If you like IRA, Anti-British, Rebel and Glasgow Celtic FC songs go here - if not forget Irish Bars !!! I thoroughly recommend the small Spanish Bars or the many other Scottish, English and Welsh Bars in the Town having spent many good holidays in Puerto. The owner of the Molly Malone's Son is also on Facebook dressed as an Afghan Terrorist and pointing a rifle !!!

Your post is coming across as a bit unfair on Irish Bars. I was brought up in central Scotland and am only too aware of the sectarian problems we face (and brought up to kick with the right foot, not with the left and being from Scotland you'll know what I mean by that). My husband is an Irish musician and is regularly asked to sing rebel songs, mainly by Scots, not Irish but he refuses, he doesn't have to prove his nationality. Not many bars play rebel songs as they would alienate the rest of their clientelle. He plays a range of music, a lot of Irish. If you are talking only about the afore mentioned bar in PDLC then I apologise but as I say, there are a lot of nice Irish bars out there with not a Celtic flag in sight.

Harmonicaman
27-02-2012, 21:51
If you like IRA, Anti-British, Rebel and Glasgow Celtic FC songs go here - if not forget Irish Bars !!! I thoroughly recommend the small Spanish Bars or the many other Scottish, English and Welsh Bars in the Town having spent many good holidays in Puerto. The owner of the Molly Malone's Son is also on Facebook dressed as an Afghan Terrorist and pointing a rifle !!!

Get a grip Fender. Des Reid and his wife Anna are two of the most decent people you'll ever meet. Pro-IRA? Anti-British? A bar in a tourist resort couldn't survive with that attitude and Molly Malones has been there 20 years. I don't know about Facebook as I'm not into that, so I'll take just have to take your word for that about Des's son.
Last time I was in there, Des was singing similar songs to the Irish bars in the south, no rebel stuff or Celtic songs at all.

karinagal
27-02-2012, 22:30
Great to see you posting again Harmonicaman - missed you!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tonypub
27-02-2012, 22:30
hello:hello:

Harmonicaman
27-02-2012, 22:38
Great to see you posting again Harmonicaman - missed you!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi K:hello:. Don't like to see friends getting slagged when they're not on here to defend themselves.

hello:hello:

Hi Tony, you still hanging in there mate?

Added after 3 minutes:

Ooops! It double-posted! Must be rusty through lack of use.

captain beefheart
27-02-2012, 23:01
every time ive been to p.l.a. i always call into the irish bar beside the columbus shopping centre for a gargle sorry cant remember its name, good craik, good food, good music from tommy. im english and have never had any problems or anti british rubbish. all the irish ive ever met have just wanted to enjoy themselves.

caroletenerife
27-02-2012, 23:16
I also come from Central Scotland so i know all about the divide. the Irish bars here are not sectarian...There are Rangers bars and Celtic bars that obviously appeal to whichever party finds that appealing. i have also passed both types of bars when they are in full song, the crowd of bewildered foreign tourists outside wondering what the hell is going on with this hate induced frenzy is quite frankly embarrassing. The Irish bars however dont seem to go for the rebel songs , as far as i have witnessed.
my friend and I had a thema and louise' trip through France a few years ago, and THE only decent bar that was not up its own back side we found was an Irish bar (only busy one too), a great night was had by all, ...what i can remember of it:D Hi Harmonica man

junglejim
27-02-2012, 23:30
every time ive been to p.l.a. i always call into the irish bar beside the columbus shopping centre for a gargle sorry cant remember its name, good craik, good food, good music from tommy. im english and have never had any problems or anti british rubbish. all the irish ive ever met have just wanted to enjoy themselves.
Youīre talking about the Chieftan and yes Tommy - like his counterpart in Temple Bar- Liam or Gerry & Mark in The Irish Times , they all play good traditional Irish Songs as well as modern and no "Rebel" songs - if I want to hear rebel songs I listen to them on my Ipod ( and I have plenty ).
These bars cater for multi Racial customers and do not go out to alienate customers - the football being shown live does attract supporters with their own teamīs ditties , but that applies to all teams. The Irish Rover is more akin to a Scottish Bar that shows all football but mainly Celtic, no rebel songs and two of the owners family on staff are Rangers supporters!

bern
28-02-2012, 00:27
thankyou, that was a great help/

seanocelt
28-02-2012, 01:14
The beast has been stirred, welcome Big Cam, the Harmonicaman. I think the Fenderfella is at the wind up, seems to comment on Irish/Celtic stuff with a " slant?".?? Each to their own, but i play Irish bars here and owners do not want rebel songs played, trade is hard enough without alienating anyone.

caroletenerife
28-02-2012, 01:41
Royal marine Commandos in Arbroath also go out fancy dress as Afghan terrorists they dont have rifles though, they have dummy suicide bombs strapped to them.....no one seems to mind, just another night out doon the toon:D

Fender1
28-02-2012, 02:28
That says a lot about what the "British" Taxpayer is financing !!!

timmylish
28-02-2012, 03:35

But it would be even better if everyone who earns/earned in the UK had also paid their taxes!

bern
28-02-2012, 10:37
Just to clear things, Im Irish but not Anti-British or Anti anything ! We just enjoy the fun or the Craic as we say in Ireland. Theres a bit of a rebel in everyone no matter where you are from. Most people in Ireland have moved on. Im sort of sorry now that I started this thread. We go to every type of bar when we are abroad but we just always like to visit an Irish one. We were very disapointed by one or two of them in the south of the Island. All we are looking for is a good time. We have made friends with many British people that we have met in Irish bars on our travels. Just because im Irish doesnt mean that Im Anti-British. Those days are over. Move on. Can anyone tell me where the other botanical gardens are? I know where the oratova one is. Which is the biggest one?

canarybird
28-02-2012, 10:39
Of the two botanical gardens, the bigger is the one in Puerto, the one in the pictures I posted above.

The one in the town of La Orotava is the smaller of the two.

tracy hampshire
28-02-2012, 11:02
as well as molly's which is very popular with everyone, you also have a few more british bars with entertainment, bar zepps, near the old bus station, the new robin hood, under the belair, the beehive for live sport,down calle hoya, & the welcome has a quiz every other friday with john sharples from bitter & twisted, down the avenieda, most of the bars around the plaza de charco also have music on a night, there are some lovely places to visit around this area & the bus service is great, oratava, la laguna, icod los vinos, garachico & of course santa cruz if you haven't been before all within an hours drive, hope you have a fantastic holiday :)

caroletenerife
28-02-2012, 11:35
The original poster asked a simple question about Irish bars, they did not want a lesson on religious bigotry, my post about the Marines was to highlight, despite having stood in the line of fire, and 45 commando have suffered casualities out there, they can carry on with life, and not harp on about the past with a grudge. Im not surprised the poster is sorry they asked. The world has moved on, join us

dokgolf
28-02-2012, 11:50
Just to clear things, Im Irish but not Anti-British or Anti anything ! We just enjoy the fun or the Craic as we say in Ireland. Theres a bit of a rebel in everyone no matter where you are from. Most people in Ireland have moved on. Im sort of sorry now that I started this thread. We go to every type of bar when we are abroad but we just always like to visit an Irish one. We were very disapointed by one or two of them in the south of the Island. All we are looking for is a good time. We have made friends with many British people that we have met in Irish bars on our travels. Just because im Irish doesnt mean that Im Anti-British. Those days are over. Move on. Can anyone tell me where the other botanical gardens are? I know where the oratova one is. Which is the biggest one?

Seems your thread got "hijacked" ( pun intended!):D

pbasonuk
28-02-2012, 12:50

My god, It must be really dull being you. Is your life that bad that you need to moan about it so much? Please go and join the Sky News forum if you want to get on your soap box a bit. Lots of likeminded miserable gits on them forums.

melm
28-02-2012, 19:18
How untrue..........we are a Scottish couple with NO Irish conections whatsoever and have never in 25 years of visiting Puerto and the Molly Malone heard any of the "music" you describe. As another person from the west of Scotland who also kicks with the right foot I would not visit such an establishment if this were the case.

Anna and Des are the most decent couple who make all welcome. Their Son is in fancy dress costume!!!!!!! they have two sons who are both fine young men

dokgolf
28-02-2012, 19:26
I see Timmylish and my posts re: fishing have disappeared. Dunno why???:dontknow::dontknow:

seanocelt
28-02-2012, 19:29
I see Timmylish and my posts re: fishing have disappeared. Dunno why???:dontknow::dontknow:

Were they not on the Celtic thread which Fender guy also posted on?

dokgolf
28-02-2012, 19:32
Oh for Chrisakes!!! Serves me right for posting with beer in me. Profound apologies to anyone ( esp the mods) for any offence!:o:o

junglejim
28-02-2012, 21:30
Just for completeness as I didnīt mention earlier , The Claddagh Bar in San Telmo is an excellent Irish Traditional Irish Music Bar with Gerry playing live most night except Tuesdays (I think) - well worth a visit .
Iīm an alcoholic Guinness drinker and no Leprechaunīs were harmed in the production of this thread !:trink:

Fender1
29-02-2012, 12:10
Reply to pbasonuk !!!

Having read a lot of your postings I don't think you should give your perceived opinion of the dullness of others !!! Stars, Wind, Hotels at top of Teide ???

Whoopadoo !!! If only God the Gift tae gi'e us tae see oorsel's as others see us !!!(Rabbie Burns).

dixie4
29-02-2012, 17:27
I am a great fan of Irish bars particularly in Spain and the islands.

Molly Malones in Puerto is one of my favourites. How Des keeps it up night after night baffles me.

What I see is that other nationalities regard Irish bars as common ground. You will find Brits, Germans, Scandinavians, lots of others and a smattering of Spanish all rubbing shoulders and enjoying themselves.

captain beefheart
29-02-2012, 23:56
Reply to pbasonuk !!!

Having read a lot of your postings I don't think you should give your perceived opinion of the dullness of others !!! Stars, Wind, Hotels at top of Teide ???

Whoopadoo !!! If only God the Gift tae gi'e us tae see oorsel's as others see us !!!(Rabbie Burns).whats dull about.. stars,wind and hotels at the top of Teide.. sound's good to me.

tracy hampshire
01-03-2012, 00:41
whats with the slagging off of mollies, it is & has been one of the most popular bars in puerto for many years, personal opinions of the proprioter should be kept out of it , if he wasn't a nice friendly guy then he wouldn't still be in business here in puerto,where the majority of the british/ irish bars have closed down, molly malones is still going strong so des is doing something right .