PDA

View Full Version : Trees dying all over the streets of San Isidro

timmylish
27-02-2012, 01:40
It has become so noticeable to me that the lack of any rain in the last year is resulting in trees here shedding their little left leaves. Its a real worry but hardly surprising having regard to our last year,s weather. The local authority tried flooding the trees a couple of months ago which, in my opinion, was not the correct thing to do as it just dissipated in a week or so. Just walking the dogs I reckon 30% of the street trees adjacent to our apartment are in such a condition. Sad but unfortunately nothing really can be done, or can it. So many unemployed it would be a way of "killing" two birds with one stone!

caroletenerife
27-02-2012, 01:53
Have noticed it too, and the little tree on Palm Mar beach wasnt looking very well at all. Does anyone know what long term weather we are due to have.

poker
27-02-2012, 05:40
The palm trees can have an isect also that kils them .
It are bigg wurms (larve of an beatle) eating the trunk inside and finaly killing them.

Sent using Tapatalk.

tfs1
27-02-2012, 09:34
Palm trees over Canaries and mainland Spain are still being infected by the 'palm tree' beatle. A horrible looking red thing lays its eggs in the nice juicy core at the top of only certain palm trees varieites.

As mentioned before the lava grow into 'thumb size' white lava that eat the core and the juicy growing end of the palm tree 'branches' and the immediate result is seeing branches drop lifeless looking from the main trunk, without growing branches and the damage they do the palm dies.

We had that problem in the mainland with only one of our palms that became affected, luckily we managed to get someone to inject the trunk and spray the palm branches to kill the lava that had been laid and any bugs that were in the process of being formed.

Im told that when this is being done you can hear them making a highpitched noise as they die. We now spray it once every 2 weeks with some nasty smelling stuff to keep them from laying their eggs, they still fly around the palm and so far we have been lucky that we have not had anymore drooping / dead branches.

Quite often we catch them with our pool net, (handle extended). During the summer that fly pretty slowly and are an easy target, other times of the year they are pretty speedy !! Our cat even caught one !

They look horrible and many palm trees around us have died, so far we have been lucky.

Suej
27-02-2012, 11:31
Palm trees over Canaries and mainland Spain are still being infected by the 'palm tree' beatle. A horrible looking red thing lays its eggs in the nice juicy core at the top of only certain palm trees varieites.

As mentioned before the lava grow into 'thumb size' white lava that eat the core and the juicy growing end of the palm tree 'branches' and the immediate result is seeing branches drop lifeless looking from the main trunk, without growing branches and the damage they do the palm dies.

We had that problem in the mainland with only one of our palms that became affected, luckily we managed to get someone to inject the trunk and spray the palm branches to kill the lava that had been laid and any bugs that were in the process of being formed.

Im told that when this is being done you can hear them making a highpitched noise as they die. We now spray it once every 2 weeks with some nasty smelling stuff to keep them from laying their eggs, they still fly around the palm and so far we have been lucky that we have not had anymore drooping / dead branches.

Quite often we catch them with our pool net, (handle extended). During the summer that fly pretty slowly and are an easy target, other times of the year they are pretty speedy !! Our cat even caught one !

They look horrible and many palm trees around us have died, so far we have been lucky.

Thanks for this info I have a very small palm in my garden and wondered why the centre looked dead! it pulled clean out of the middle and was covered in thick white gunk with a bit of orange colour mixed in! my neighbour says that now the heart of the plant has died the rest will also!:(
We have a huge Bouganvilla that is normally in full flower this month but it's not! even though we water we need RAIN!!! What does this beetle look like please?

willowlily
27-02-2012, 11:44
i have also noticed my trees in bournemouth were not as lush last summer due to very little rain, we also are looking at having an hosepipe ban this year as we have had very little rain this year. its suprising that even 150 ft oak and pine trees with their very deep roots are affected, but i suppose if the water table is low even these magestic trees can suffer. even in tenerife aside from any insect infestations water is one of the most important natural resourse on this planet

tfs1
27-02-2012, 13:25

They are about 1.5/2 inches long and are the enemy of anyone with a palm tree. Lots of white gunge comes out when you splat them . If anyone sees any of them they should be dealt with accordingly.

If you think you have killed it they sometimes 'play dead' and when your not looking they fly off - so they are not that stupid !

Chris

Suej
27-02-2012, 14:28

They are about 1.5/2 inches long and are the enemy of anyone with a palm tree. Lots of white gunge comes out when you splat them . If anyone sees any of them they should be dealt with accordingly.

If you think you have killed it they sometimes 'play dead' and when your not looking they fly off - so they are not that stupid !

Chris

Thanks for the pic Chris! I have never seen one of these, it's not as though they are tiny! I will keep a look out and although I don't like killing anything they will go the same way as cockroaches do around here! Urghhhh!eek2:

timmylish
28-02-2012, 02:04
I shall certainly keep an eye open for these but then we don,t have any palms near us. Its just the lack of water causing this problem. Thank you for taking an interest in this thread!