PDA

View Full Version : Can we use the Advantage desk for Monarch check in?

Red Devil
28-02-2012, 14:02
We are flying back home from Tenerife with Monarch and have now checked in on line (with pre-booked seats)
Does anyone know if we can use the desk that they always open for Advantage holders? Is it also a fast track desk, otherwise doesnt seem any point checking in online if you still queue as normal?

Suej
28-02-2012, 14:16
My friend who travels Monarch 3 times a year to Luton still has to queue as normal (when he has luggage for the hold which needs to be weighed)... I have never seen an Advantage desk when we have taken him to the airport so that's a new one on me.:)

murph
28-02-2012, 14:28
We are flying back home from Tenerife with Monarch and have now checked in on line (with pre-booked seats)
Does anyone know if we can use the desk that they always open for Advantage holders? Is it also a fast track desk, otherwise doesnt seem any point checking in online if you still queue as normal?

We used RyanAir last year and because we had Luggage, we still had to queue - Hand luggage only, and we could have walked straight through - not sure if Monarch is exactly the same though)

Suej
28-02-2012, 14:35
We used RyanAir last year and because we had Luggage, we still had to queue - Hand luggage only, and we could have walked straight through - not sure if Monarch is exactly the same though)

I wondered about this Murph! what if your hand luggage is not the authorised weight or size? :thanx:

delderek
28-02-2012, 15:00

Monarch is exactly the same.

Added after 4 minutes:

I wondered about this Murph! what if your hand luggage is not the authorised weight or size? :thanx:

You take a chance, but staff are good at spotting oversize, and will then put it in the hold at an exorbitant price. The cabin crew then ask for your credit card as you board.

phillip
28-02-2012, 15:05
We fly monarch regularly and always check in online. When you go to the check in desk you will see the Vanage Desk and this will normally have 'baggage drop' as well. Thereofore you do not need to get in the normal queue - this has always saved us lots of time!

Red Devil
28-02-2012, 15:10
My friend who travels Monarch 3 times a year to Luton still has to queue as normal (when he has luggage for the hold which needs to be weighed)... I have never seen an Advantage desk when we have taken him to the airport so that's a new one on me.:)

Must admit the sign only goes up (saying Advantage and something else, cant remember how it is worded) once the staff actually arrive to open up the Monarch check in desks.
Wondered if it was also a fast bag drop off, for hold luggage, like they do at Manchester, or perhaps hand luggage only?
Wouldn't have thought there were enough Advantage membership passengers to warrant a desk to themselves. Unfortunately can never find any airline reps there to ask.
If there's no fast track check in, whats the point of doing it in advance?

Added after 3 minutes:

We fly monarch regularly and always check in online. When you go to the check in desk you will see the Vanage Desk and this will normally have 'baggage drop' as well. Thereofore you do not need to get in the normal queue - this has always saved us lots of time!

Thanks Phillip, only saw your answer after I had posted my reply to Sue!
So I can move over to the Advantage desk as soon as it opens then? That will be brill

murph
28-02-2012, 15:24
N

They would then treat it as unchecked hold baggage and charge upwards of £40 for the privilege.

They are good at spotting such items and (I think with my particularly suspicious and cynical mind) they probably get a small bonus for doing so. Imagine say £5 per item, ten times a day - not unthinkable with 200+ per flight and numerous flights per day. It makes quite a nice additional income for little effort!

Suej
28-02-2012, 15:32
Must admit the sign only goes up (saying Advantage and something else, cant remember how it is worded) once the staff actually arrive to open up the Monarch check in desks.
Wondered if it was also a fast bag drop off, for hold luggage, like they do at Manchester, or perhaps hand luggage only?
Wouldn't have thought there were enough Advantage membership passengers to warrant a desk to themselves. Unfortunately can never find any airline reps there to ask.
If there's no fast track check in, whats the point of doing it in advance?

Added after 3 minutes:

Thanks Phillip, only saw your answer after I had posted my reply to Sue!
So I can move over to the Advantage desk as soon as it opens then? That will be brill

I've not seen this Vantage desk for Monarch flights to Luton! will look out next time! Thanks!;)

jack oakley
28-02-2012, 16:08
The vantage desk is there for regular flyers (vantage gold or silver card holders) to fast track check-in, if no vantage members are present the check-in operator will call the next in line from the standard que. It has been designated recently for on-line checker-inners to drop hold baggage off. The nonsencensicle and stupid designation of this operation is that the case has to be wieghed and labled it take the same time to do this as it does to check-in so nothing is gained exept that genuine vantage card holders have to que-up whilst shell-suited and football shirted timewasters root about for crinkled bits of paper that purports to be a boarding card. The more people use on-line check-in the end result will be a loss of check-in staff and longer que's at the boarding gate and aircraft entrance, delaying take offs more than they are already being delayed due to the massive increase in people carrying on cabin friendly suitcases. The problem is they are not cabin friendly they are a bloody nuisance because if the flight is full there is not enough overhead storage room to cope hence ailes clogged up with bods searching for baggage space delaying loading time by up to 20 minutes. The imbosiles that dreamed up on-line check-in and charging 40quid to put a case in the hold needs shooting. I hope i'm not stood behind you when you're in my que without a vantage card..Jack.O

TOTO 99
28-02-2012, 16:19
Nice to see it doesn't bother you Jack! :D

Red Devil
28-02-2012, 16:59
The vantage desk is there for regular flyers (vantage gold or silver card holders) to fast track check-in, if no vantage members are present the check-in operator will call the next in line from the standard que. It has been designated recently for on-line checker-inners to drop hold baggage off. The nonsencensicle and stupid designation of this operation is that the case has to be wieghed and labled it take the same time to do this as it does to check-in so nothing is gained exept that genuine vantage card holders have to que-up whilst shell-suited and football shirted timewasters root about for crinkled bits of paper that purports to be a boarding card. The more people use on-line check-in the end result will be a loss of check-in staff and longer que's at the boarding gate and aircraft entrance, delaying take offs more than they are already being delayed due to the massive increase in people carrying on cabin friendly suitcases. The problem is they are not cabin friendly they are a bloody nuisance because if the flight is full there is not enough overhead storage room to cope hence ailes clogged up with bods searching for baggage space delaying loading time by up to 20 minutes. The imbosiles that dreamed up on-line check-in and charging 40quid to put a case in the hold needs shooting. I hope i'm not stood behind you when you're in my que without a vantage card..Jack.O

Haven't a clue what that ramble is about and still not sure what your answer is - you confirm it is now designated for online check in holders to drop off bags? I take that as a yes then?

macdonald5
28-02-2012, 17:20
Oh Jack ,take it you not happy with system
There is a lot of true fact in what you say!!

tfs1
28-02-2012, 21:02
We too have checked in online, printed our boarding passes in Tenerife and then joined the Monach 'Bag Drop and Vantage' desk many times over the past couple of years.

Never knowingly seen a Vantage holder ! - only those that have taken the time to checkin before they fly back and armed with their boarding passes ease through the bag drop process rather than queue for ages and always getting into the slow checkin desk lane.

Chris

jack oakley
29-02-2012, 01:40
We too have checked in online, printed our boarding passes in Tenerife and then joined the Monach 'Bag Drop and Vantage' desk many times over the past couple of years.

Never knowingly seen a Vantage holder ! - only those that have taken the time to checkin before they fly back and armed with their boarding passes ease through the bag drop process rather than queue for ages and always getting into the slow checkin desk lane.

Chris

Rejoice in your :stupid:(BAG-DROP) euphoria it will be short lived, the more people who use on-line check-in the less check-in staff the airlines will employ, in another 12months there will be only be two self service desks per flight with 170 bods all queing up to have their little printout boarding passes and passports scanned by a machine and feeding your case down a self service chute, there will be grid-lock when a self service boarding pass is not recognised due to a poor printout and dozens of suitcases will end up on the wrong flight:(. Mark my words.. Jack.O

tfs1
29-02-2012, 09:21
Your recent rants conjured up the image of the of the Kenny Everett show where he wore suspenders, a bowler hat and was hitting the camera with his rolled up umbrella while complaining.

woodchip68
29-02-2012, 10:34
As a gold card holder that pays for over 16 flights a year with Monarch, I totally agree with Jack. I telephoned Monarch about this after waiting in a queue that was longer than normal checkin, and I was told that Monarch only paid for 1 desk that signs "Gold and Silver Vantage Card Holders........Baggage Drop Off.......Gold and Sil.."

They also informed me that they have a new CEO and he is making two changes, 1, they are dropping this desk and card holders will have to walk to the front of the queue (Embarrising) 2, the card system will be awarded on the amount of money you spend with Monarch and not just the amount of flights you take. Good for me as a business flyer but not so good for silver/gold card holders that only fly when the flight is #50.

So as for the queues, never has a truer word been said in gest Jack

Rejoice in your :stupid:(BAG-DROP) euphoria it will be short lived, the more people who use on-line check-in the less check-in staff the airlines will employ, in another 12months there will be only be two self service desks per flight with 170 bods all queing up to have their little printout boarding passes and passports scanned by a machine and feeding your case down a self service chute, there will be grid-lock when a self service boarding pass is not recognised due to a poor printout and dozens of suitcases will end up on the wrong flight:(. Mark my words.. Jack.O

TOTO 99
29-02-2012, 11:05
As a gold card holder that pays for over 16 flights a year with Monarch, I totally agree with Jack. I telephoned Monarch about this after waiting in a queue that was longer than normal checkin, and I was told that Monarch only paid for 1 desk that signs "Gold and Silver Vantage Card Holders........Baggage Drop Off.......Gold and Sil.."

They also informed me that they have a new CEO and he is making two changes, 1, they are dropping this desk and card holders will have to walk to the front of the queue (Embarrising) 2, the card system will be awarded on the amount of money you spend with Monarch and not just the amount of flights you take. Good for me as a business flyer but not so good for silver/gold card holders that only fly when the flight is #50.

So as for the queues, never has a truer word been said in gest Jack

Who is the new CEO,...Michael O'leary?...:laugh:

jack oakley
29-02-2012, 12:57
Your recent rants conjured up the image of the of the Kenny Everett show where he wore suspenders, a bowler hat and was hitting the camera with his rolled up umbrella while complaining.

Have you been peeping through my bedroom window TFS ??, you forgot to mention the black thigh length nylon stockings!.
Jack.O

tfs1
29-02-2012, 14:47
woodchip68,

Thankyou for your informative and factual post.

Chris

moonlighter
29-02-2012, 17:02

You snobby git

I'm surprised you lower yourself to sharing a plane with these lowlives. :redcard:

I know exactly what you mean though :o:o

phillip
01-03-2012, 12:07
We are also Vantage Card Holders and travel frequently from Luton to Tenerife. We have never had a problem with other customers who use our queue who have used on line check in, either in Luton or Tenerife. Monarch have already reduced some flights from Luton this year and the bottom line is that we need as many people as we can to fly to Tenerife, otherwise flights will be reduced even further. I agree with the point about cabin luggage as this is a nuisance as it holds up entry to the plane, but the airline should be blamed for this as during a recession it is obvious that customers will try to save money by not using the expensive hold luggage facility.
I personally think that making judgements about the appearance or demeanour of other people is very narrow minded - society is made up of all manner of people and sometimes standards of behaviour do fall below what should be expected - but that is life. Not everyone can afford to fly frequently and become a Vantage Card Holder so I am afraid unless you wish to charter an exclusive jet Jack, you will have to put up with shell-suited (although I thought they went out in the 70's) football shirted customers!

Vortex Wake
01-03-2012, 12:34
We are also Vantage Card Holders and travel frequently from Luton to Tenerife. We have never had a problem with other customers who use our queue who have used on line check in, either in Luton or Tenerife. Monarch have already reduced some flights from Luton this year and the bottom line is that we need as many people as we can to fly to Tenerife, otherwise flights will be reduced even further. I agree with the point about cabin luggage as this is a nuisance as it holds up entry to the plane, but the airline should be blamed for this as during a recession it is obvious that customers will try to save money by not using the expensive hold luggage facility.
I personally think that making judgements about the appearance or demeanour of other people is very narrow minded - society is made up of all manner of people and sometimes standards of behaviour do fall below what should be expected - but that is life. Not everyone can afford to fly frequently and become a Vantage Card Holder so I am afraid unless you wish to charter an exclusive jet Jack, you will have to put up with shell-suited (although I thought they went out in the 70's) football shirted customers!

Why should NOT having an advantage card has anything to do with not being able to 'afford' to fly frequently.

Thats like saying all cyclists can't afford cars.

jack oakley
01-03-2012, 12:37

Thankyou for your comments Philip i am glad we agree on one point, with regard to the appearance and demeanour of other people i am entitled to my oppinions, not only do i object to flying with badly dressed people i object to ugly people, screaming babies and snotty nosed infants that kick the back of your seat for four hours. Also some people are not intelligent enough to fly and are a danger to legitimate passengers in an emergency, they take no notice of pre-flight emergency briefings as they are too busy reading the Daily Star and texting their mates back on the estate.
Happy flying ;) from a very narrow minded Jack.O (the count of monte bonko in the principality of Scam-nasty):lol:

TOTO 99
01-03-2012, 13:19
Thankyou for your comments Philip i am glad we agree on one point, with regard to the appearance and demeanour of other people i am entitled to my oppinions, not only do i object to flying with badly dressed people i object to ugly people, screaming babies and snotty nosed infants that kick the back of your seat for four hours. Also some people are not intelligent enough to fly and are a danger to legitimate passengers in an emergency, they take no notice of pre-flight emergency briefings as they are too busy reading the Daily Star and texting their mates back on the estate.
Happy flying ;) from a very narrow minded Jack.O (the count of monte bonko in the principality of Scam-nasty):lol:

Lol;;I've witnessed most of the above at some time or other although I have to say not so much with Monarch.
Let's face it, it's only for 4 hours so not really a major problem.
The question is, would we be prepared to pay twice as much to eliminate the bargain hunters? I like the thought of it but when it comes to booking I just can't stop myself. If there was a demand for a "1st class" flight I think someone would have done it by now.

phillip
01-03-2012, 13:44
Well Jack, with opinions like yours I think I would rather take my chance with the uglies, the Daily Star readers, the snotty nosed babies and the non intelligents, oh and the badly dressed people.

............but then again..........maybe not..............:laugh:

Bhamannette
01-03-2012, 14:26
Last flight out from Birmingham they were offering free check in for the cabin bags so they could go in the hold, I refused because I dont like to have to wait for bags the other end. I was speaking to one of the cabin crew and she told me they had pleaded with Monarch to stop charging for cases because it was starting to cause such problems but they wouldnt. Also the Vantage queue is supposed to be monitored so that the card holders dont get stuck behind baggage drop not sure it is tho.

Red Devil
01-03-2012, 16:36
Arrived home, amazed that such an simple original question caused so much venting of spleen eek2:
Anyway, arrived at check in early - all Monarch desks open! (Pays not to travel on a Friday)
Noticed the end one had a sign for Vantage card holders and BAG DROP with 3 bored personnel talking there. Asked if this was correct place for online check in also, answer was yes:lol:
No-one waiting there so they started taking the first one waiting from normal check in queues.
No problems, no complaints.
As a point of interest to Jack I travel to Tenerife regularly but choose between Easyjet with Speedy Boarding or Monarch with extra leg room seats, depending what suits me.